Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  09:00:32  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Eldacar and Sage, it was the now-extinct Principality of Fairbanner, which occupied a tiny bite out of The Grand Duchy of Shantal (a strip roughly 2 miles long by half that wide, along the Duchy's eastern border [[north end]]). The cambion in question, who styled himself "High Lord" Baerm Lamordair (names we later learned he'd taken from wealthy Vilhon Reach merchants he'd murdered, to seize their wealth), was trying to make Fairbanner much larger at the time we tangled with him. He fled after we took down most of his band of misfits (human/monster crossbreeds who were mostly "shunned outlaws" and brigands) - - and Fairbanner collapsed with him.
love,
THO

Many thanks. Some additional questions:

- What year specifically did he take control of the area in the Border Kingdoms?
- What year was he brought down?
- Did he have significantly larger ambitions than the region he was ruling at the time? Such as conquering the Border Kingdoms entirely? He wanted to make it bigger, but how far did his ambitions extend? (This may play into a question about Border Kingdoms conquerers I think I have sitting on my little pile somewhere.)
- Does he yet survive? You mentioned that he fled, but not if he was slain.
- Was he one of the ones aware of other cambions?
- How did the Knights find out he was a cambion, and who else seemed to be aware of his "heritage" (either seeking alliance, assistance, attempting to depose him, or something else)?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster

Edited by - Eldacar on 29 May 2012 09:01:17
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Marco Volo, the rise of mercantile trade/travel and guilds has led to a rise in making younglings literate and competent in "trading mathematics," throughout the "civilized" Realms.
Ed has mentioned some of the topflight academies in previous years in this very thread, but perhaps I should reiterate the other sources of learning he's touched on over the years, too: guilds school their members, guildmembers school their children, "retired" warriors train younglings for fees, and so on, and temples train almost everyone who's willing, in small ways. (It also bears repeating that the Realms is unfolding differently than our real-world history.)

Eldacar, we don't know if the cambion still survives, but he definitely survived our attempts to hunt him down. We learned he was a cambion from a mage of the Border Kingdoms who'd tangled with him previously, and when we met him, his crimson skin and "flames for pupils" eyes supported that identification...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  20:50:29  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Thanks THO for enlighten me on this.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  21:04:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
There were also bardic colleges, although I don't know of any specifically outside Raven's Bluff.

Post-timejump Realms seems to have moved from "medieval" more towards "renaissance" ... replete with literate, half-educated, middle-classed populations. I suppose there's a schoolhouse in every village large enough to support a temple.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  21:12:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

There were also bardic colleges, although I don't know of any specifically outside Raven's Bluff.

Post-timejump Realms seems to have moved from "medieval" more towards "renaissance" ... replete with literate, half-educated, middle-classed populations. I suppose there's a schoolhouse in every village large enough to support a temple.

There is a Bardic College in Turmish as well, I suspect it is in Alaghon; but I can't swear to it.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  18:16:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
There are also bardic colleges and magic schools in Silverymoon, and a bardic college in Waterdeep. However, I thought the question was about schools that could contribute to the population's - or to every class' - literacy.

EDIT: And then I wondered if bardic colleges (and maybe even mage organizations) would teach literacy to the major populace. Although I think arcane schools would be more restrictive, unlike temples. Mage and arcane ideology tends to se truth in misteries, while the religious use to see true as something to be revealed, and people enlightened. AND they can use education as a way of conversion. Of course, in a pantheistic world each religion can have a different point. And bards, although being arcane casters, historically were related to celtic religion, so maybe FR bards can be more open to teaching. Well, I'm sure Ed can elaborate a lot more about this issue.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 31 May 2012 16:58:20
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  16:06:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Speaking of maths - how far along is the Realms (in the 'main' part of Faerûn, i.e. the Sword Coast, Western Heartlands, and the Sea of Shining Stars areas, that is) in terms of mathematical theory? And how much math can the average peasant do? The average city-dweller? Average noble?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  17:15:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed and THO,

How does Ed view Halflings/Hin in the Forgotten Realms in their relationships with non-halflings in a romantic way? I've read The Five Shires many times that Ed wrote, and I was wondering if his Forgotten Realms Hin might be much the same in their views/actions (in even other areas besides romance)?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  18:15:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:

All the bardic colleges mentioned in the AD&D1 PHB have been located in the Realms, IIRC. Most were placed in Tethyr, but at least one was in the Moonshaes. I know the starting point for this was the novel Elfshadow and some where mentioned in Lands of Intrigue (at least the unabridged, pre-edit version), but I can't remember where we stuck the full list.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  18:37:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Kajehase, many folk can do "tally math," but in the Realms, advanced theory is more a matter of sages and of magic (arcane [spell cracting]and divine [priesthoods and religious philosophy], not maths, and that inevitably affects math development.

And how remiss of me...Eric!!! How great to see you posting here at the Keep, and working in the Realms again!!! Hugs and kisses!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  19:06:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

All the bardic colleges mentioned in the AD&D1 PHB have been located in the Realms, IIRC. Most were placed in Tethyr, but at least one was in the Moonshaes. I know the starting point for this was the novel Elfshadow and some where mentioned in Lands of Intrigue (at least the unabridged, pre-edit version), but I can't remember where we stuck the full list.

I've the full list, but it's at home, and I'm not. I can dig it up and post it, but it'll be 8 hours or so before I can get home, eat my dinner, play with and bathe my son, get him to bed, and then get online.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  00:26:32  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Bards you say?

hmmm lets see

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0007C&L=realms-l&P=R15077

and

Fochlucan: The college of Fochlucan once stood on the northeastern edge of Silverymoon. After it closed, the college stood empty for many years before being reopened as Utrumm’s Music Conservatory. Utrumm’s Music Conservatory has since been moved to Southbank, and Fochlucan has been reborn as the House of the Harp. (See Elfsong, pages 10, 171, and Silver Marches, page __.)

MacFuirmidh: The college of MacFuirmidh once stood on the isle of Alaorn in the Moonshae Isles, south and east of Caer Callidyrr. (See Elfsong, pages 170-171.)

Doss: The college of Doss once stood in the shadow of the High Lady’s Castle in the city of Berdusk where Twilight Hall, the base of the western branch of the Harpers, now stands.

Canaith: The college of Canaith now lies in ruins along the northern stretch of the Hillstrail about 70 miles south of Zazesspur, its long-abandoned buildings put to the torch during the Black Days of Eleint in 1347 DR. (See Elfsong, pages 175.)

Cli: The college of Cli once lay within the eastern reaches of Baldur’s Gate, but its buildings have long since been torn down and replaced. The only remnant of this school is Elfsong Tavern, an adventurers’ drinking-place and hiring house notable for the ghostly elven female voice (once a student at the college) that can be heard from time to time. (See Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast, pages 17-18.)

Anstruth: The college of Anstruth once stood in the heart of Sundabar’s trade ward. As recently as 1364 DR, only one building remained, a once-beautiful structure converted into a warehouse. The founding of the Silver Marches confederation and the refounding of Fochlucan in Silverymoon has given renewed energy to efforts by a handful of bards to refound Anstruth. (See Elfsong, pages 154-156, and Silver Marches, page __)

Ollamh: The college of Ollamh once stood on Rivon Street in Waterdeep’s Trade Ward, where the House of Song, guildhall of the Council of Musicians, Instrument-Makers, and Choristers, now stands, although many mistakenly believe it lay in Castle Ward, where Halambar Lutes & Harps now stands. In 1366 DR, Danilo Thann and members of the above-mentioned guild refounded the college as New Ollamh, located in Waterdeep’s Castle Ward in the old Cliffride villas of Heroes’ Rest and Stormwatch. (See Elfsong, pages 217, 243, City of Splendors: Campaign Guide, pages 40-41, 46-47, and City of Splendors: Waterdeep, pages __, and Dragon #__, page __.)
----------------------

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  01:55:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Bards you say?

hmmm lets see

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0007C&L=realms-l&P=R15077

and

Fochlucan: The college of Fochlucan once stood on the northeastern edge of Silverymoon. After it closed, the college stood empty for many years before being reopened as Utrumm’s Music Conservatory. Utrumm’s Music Conservatory has since been moved to Southbank, and Fochlucan has been reborn as the House of the Harp. (See Elfsong, pages 10, 171, and Silver Marches, page __.)

MacFuirmidh: The college of MacFuirmidh once stood on the isle of Alaorn in the Moonshae Isles, south and east of Caer Callidyrr. (See Elfsong, pages 170-171.)

Doss: The college of Doss once stood in the shadow of the High Lady’s Castle in the city of Berdusk where Twilight Hall, the base of the western branch of the Harpers, now stands.

Canaith: The college of Canaith now lies in ruins along the northern stretch of the Hillstrail about 70 miles south of Zazesspur, its long-abandoned buildings put to the torch during the Black Days of Eleint in 1347 DR. (See Elfsong, pages 175.)

Cli: The college of Cli once lay within the eastern reaches of Baldur’s Gate, but its buildings have long since been torn down and replaced. The only remnant of this school is Elfsong Tavern, an adventurers’ drinking-place and hiring house notable for the ghostly elven female voice (once a student at the college) that can be heard from time to time. (See Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast, pages 17-18.)

Anstruth: The college of Anstruth once stood in the heart of Sundabar’s trade ward. As recently as 1364 DR, only one building remained, a once-beautiful structure converted into a warehouse. The founding of the Silver Marches confederation and the refounding of Fochlucan in Silverymoon has given renewed energy to efforts by a handful of bards to refound Anstruth. (See Elfsong, pages 154-156, and Silver Marches, page __)

Ollamh: The college of Ollamh once stood on Rivon Street in Waterdeep’s Trade Ward, where the House of Song, guildhall of the Council of Musicians, Instrument-Makers, and Choristers, now stands, although many mistakenly believe it lay in Castle Ward, where Halambar Lutes & Harps now stands. In 1366 DR, Danilo Thann and members of the above-mentioned guild refounded the college as New Ollamh, located in Waterdeep’s Castle Ward in the old Cliffride villas of Heroes’ Rest and Stormwatch. (See Elfsong, pages 217, 243, City of Splendors: Campaign Guide, pages 40-41, 46-47, and City of Splendors: Waterdeep, pages __, and Dragon #__, page __.)
----------------------

Cheers

Damian

I forgot about the College of Doss in Twilight Hall. That solves a little problem in my current bardic-centric campaign.

Thanks for the reminder, crazed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  05:31:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Okay, fine, I won't share the list now. Nyah!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  06:50:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Many thanks for the answer THO.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  07:09:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Kajehase, many folk can do "tally math," but in the Realms, advanced theory is more a matter of sages and of magic (arcane [spell cracting]and divine [priesthoods and religious philosophy], not maths, and that inevitably affects math development.

And how remiss of me...Eric!!! How great to see you posting here at the Keep, and working in the Realms again!!! Hugs and kisses!
love,
THO

Missed this earlier... what with all the recent bardic-chatter and the like.

So, Ed, how has the development of both arcane and divine magic affected the development of higher math in your Realms? Could you provide some examples of the extent of the higher mathematical knowledge that so-called "mathemagicians" would understand in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  07:39:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Just from architecture alone, they must have advanced forms of Geometry...and I'm guessing the Waukeenar abilities "with the books" are pretty top notch as well!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  07:53:30  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And considering the history of probability theory in our world, I'm guessing there's a Tymoran or two with at least a basic grasp of it.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  23:56:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I forgot about the College of Doss in Twilight Hall. That solves a little problem in my current bardic-centric campaign.

Thanks for the reminder, crazed.

You are very welcome Sage, I too have a liking for Bards and music of the Realms

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  13:36:41  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message
Quick query coming from an odd line of thought: How would varying cultures in Faerun tend to regard a person with synaesthesia? Things like being able to taste colours or hear smells and all... Would they see it as a blessing? A curse? Just being a little mad? Or just sort of quirky but otherwise ignored?

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  21:07:55  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
THO and Ed, I'm curious if there's a kind of "Sages Network" in the Realms. In real life, experts on particular subjects gather annually at conventions and keep abreast of new findings by reading and publishing in journals.

Now we all know about mage-faires and the like. But what about scholar-sages? Do they have annual gatherings, or is it more Renaissance-like where scholars infrequently go visit colleges and friends? Or is it that they write letters to each other and/or exchange books? Or are they just fairly isolated?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  22:58:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Back in '09 you answered a query of mine concerning Aralent, and you provided us with some wonderful new Realmslore.

I am addressing this part of that:
quote:
Form ed Greenwood via THO
The name "Aralent" comes from a long-dead "prince" of Chessenta (heir to a city-state), who fled would-be assassins who'd gravely wounded him with poisoned weapons, came here, settled into a new life as a stonemason, and eventually built some of the earliest temples. His earliest quarries now form some of the temple cellars.
I mention this because there's a ford of Aralent in Chessenta where he's locally believed to have been murdered by those assassin's, and a tor or crag known as Aralent's Tomb, where a local legend insists a grieving lover buried his remains. Neither of those are on the maps, either, largely because TSR seems to have lost or never received my detailed map of Chessenta (sorry! before you ask, they DO own it, so I can't reproduce it anywhere without their permission).

I am working on an FR/5-Shires conversion ATM (on the Gulthmere coast), and of course I am going far-afield for lore, and whilst studying the Fonstad maps I noticed something interesting - "The High Valley of Ospkul (sp?) Aralent" (it could be Ospkur, or something else - hard to tell).

Strangely, I have never noticed this before, and it appears on four of her maps! (it happens to be in a spot on the edge of all 4) Two only say 'Aralent', and the other two have the full wording.

Anyhow, it also happens to be at about the halfway point between where the prince was poisoned (in Chessenta) and where he wound up - Aralent. Is that the site of Aralent's Tomb you speak of above? Is that his full name?

Or is this a completely unrelated locale?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jun 2012 23:06:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  16:27:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Lady Shadowflame, re. this: "Quick query coming from an odd line of thought: How would varying cultures in Faerun tend to regard a person with synaesthesia? Things like being able to taste colours or hear smells and all... Would they see it as a blessing? A curse? Just being a little mad? Or just sort of quirky but otherwise ignored?"
Ed replies:

Unless the individual was known to be under a curse (or of a family under a curse), or to have participated in a spell-duel recently (in which cases the ability might be considered the results of an enchantment upon them), such personal powers would be considered "gifts of the gods," and respected. Some might even see it as a sign the individual is "favored" by a god, and treat them accordingly.

So saith Ed. Who is busy busy busy with more Realmslore, as we speak . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  16:34:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And hello again, all!
Ed's awake this morning! I just got another e-mail, this one in reply to Therise, re. "THO and Ed, I'm curious if there's a kind of "Sages Network" in the Realms. In real life, experts on particular subjects gather annually at conventions and keep abreast of new findings by reading and publishing in journals.
Now we all know about mage-faires and the like. But what about scholar-sages? Do they have annual gatherings, or is it more Renaissance-like where scholars infrequently go visit colleges and friends? Or is it that they write letters to each other and/or exchange books? Or are they just fairly isolated?"
Ed's response:

In the Realms, MOST sages are stay-at-homes; how isolated they are depends on where they live (most are on trade routes or, if they make a living as sages, in cities). They infrequently visit colleges and friends, yes. A FEW dare to exchange books (most have COPIES of writings made, and exchange those, thinking that a book lent is a book never to be seen again), and most do write letters to each other, both cordial and feuding - - some of the long-running disagreements are legendary.
A small minority are members of guilds (such as the Guild of Naturalists mentioned in my earlier Candlekeep replies and my much earlier "Ecology of" articles in DRAGON) that do meet every five or ten years or so, in what we would call conventions but are known in the Realms either as "conclaves" or "moots" (the former term if they're large, important, and will decide things extra-judicial, such as treaties/internal rules/punishments, and the latter term if they're smaller and won't/don't decide major policy matters), but this is the exception, not the norm.

So saith Ed. Who is brimming with Realmslore right now, I see, because there's ANOTHER incoming e-mail from him!
love,
THO
Edit: fixed a typo by me, and a typo by Ed. :}

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Jun 2012 23:49:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  16:45:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And here's the results of that e-mail: an Ed lore reply to Markustay, re. this:

"I am addressing this part of that:
quote:
From Ed Greenwood via THO
The name "Aralent" comes from a long-dead "prince" of Chessenta (heir to a city-state), who fled would-be assassins who'd gravely wounded him with poisoned weapons, came here, settled into a new life as a stonemason, and eventually built some of the earliest temples. His earliest quarries now form some of the temple cellars.
I mention this because there's a ford of Aralent in Chessenta where he's locally believed to have been murdered by those assassins, and a tor or crag known as Aralent's Tomb, where a local legend insists a grieving lover buried his remains. Neither of those are on the maps, either, largely because TSR seems to have lost or never received my detailed map of Chessenta (sorry! before you ask, they DO own it, so I can't reproduce it anywhere without their permission).

I am working on an FR/5-Shires conversion ATM (on the Gulthmere coast), and of course I am going far-afield for lore, and whilst studying the Fonstad maps I noticed something interesting - "The High Valley of Ospkul (sp?) Aralent" (it could be Ospkur, or something else - hard to tell).

Strangely, I have never noticed this before, and it appears on four of her maps! (it happens to be in a spot on the edge of all 4) Two only say 'Aralent', and the other two have the full wording.

Anyhow, it also happens to be at about the halfway point between where the prince was poisoned (in Chessenta) and where he wound up - Aralent. Is that the site of Aralent's Tomb you speak of above? Is that his full name?

Or is this a completely unrelated locale?"

Ed replies:

It's the High Valley of Ospkur, in a tiny "kingdom" known as Aralent, ruled by "the Lords of Aralent" (a six-strong retired adventuring band; four human males and two human females, all of whom use the title "Lord") in the name of Aralent, who is locally known as the Ghost King (because Aralent walks as a seldom-seen phantom that gives advice to the living).
It is the same Aralent, and Ospkur is the site of the tor reputed to contain his tomb - - and it does contain his tomb.
His full name was Prince Rovandurr Heltlast Aralent, Rightful Lord of Qluelantyr (a now-destroyed inland city of Chessenta), and the grieving lover who buried him was Luerenna "Flamehair" Jhalhoemir, who was once, briefly, an apprentice of The Simbul. She was a mage of some power, but a moody loner much given to shapechanging, and her present whereabouts (if she still lives) are unknown. (Some say she dwells with doppelgangers, and leads them in attempts to found and strengthen hidden "kingdoms" that overlap the lands of men.)

So saith Ed, providing us all with more juicy Realmslore.
Yum!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  17:00:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Wonderful, thank you both! Conclaves... I love it!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  18:26:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Most excellent!

Thank you, kind sir and madam.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  02:20:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

In the Realms, MOST sages are stay-at-homes; how isolated they are depends on where they live (most are on trade routes or, if they make a living as sages, in cities). They infrequently visit colleges and friends, yes. A FEW dare to exchange books (most have COPIES of writings made, and exchange those, thinking that a book lent is a book never to be seen again), and most do write letters to each other, both cordial and feuding - - some of the long-running disagreements are legendary.
Ed, re: these stay-at-home sages... have any of them developed a method of arcane-communication -- such as either communication-stones or specialised spell castings, that can assist them in sharing important discoveries between them relatively quickly?

I know it's only semi-related, but your reply does remind me of how difficult it often was for historical mathematicians and astronomers, as well as naturalists of antiquity, to collaborate and discuss their findings and discoveries with others of their discipline.

I'm curious about how similar researchers/sages in the Realms, might have overcome this, given a reliance on magic.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:16:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, can you tell us who the senior most/head Highknight of Cormyr was when the Steel Regent took power?

Crazedventurerers kindly forwarded to me a list of highknights serving Queen Fee (Jostlyn Huntsilver, Asbras Orthwood, Baeryn Dauntinghorn, Albryn Emmarask, Ilbreth Truesilver, Indyn Thundersword) and Glarasteer Rhauligan as possible candidates.

Did any of these hold that position? Or is there yet another man or woman who held the position that we've not heard of before? Or could it be the position wasn't filled at that (still tumultuous, I'm thinking) time?

Thank you in advance!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:40:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, Ed can give you a definitive answer, but off the top of my head, from my memories of discussing things at that time with Ed (when he was collaborating on DEATH OF THE DRAGON with Troy), there is no "official" top-ranking or senior Highknight, but there are very much, on a daily acting basis, "top, most-trusted veterans" among them. None of those you mention were of this sort (except to Queen Fee), because there was a generation of older, more experienced agents above them (or rather, a handful of the survivors of that generation), including one grizzled old man called "the Hawk" (not his real name, obviously), and a thin, wrinkled, homely old woman whose name I never learned, who was referred to as "the Seller of Cloaks."
Ed will, of course, elucidate in the fullness of time...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000