Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

4853 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed will be back with more Realmslore replies soon, but in the meantime...
Markustay, I didn't mean revamp your tale to fit your world now, I mean write it as a Realms tale, let what grabs you about the Realms breathe life and fire into the story until it's done, enjoy it as the best darned Realms tale you can write...
And THEN sit down and try to think of the best alternative names for characters and places to make it a non-Realms story. Apply them. You'll still have the "fire" that drove you to tell the tale, you can even point out that "XXXX is Cormyr" and "ZZZZ is Szass Tam" (or whatever)... but it's not BALDLY a Realms story.
And if it's good enough, and put in front of the right people, it could even back its way, someday, into officially becoming a Realms story . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
784 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  16:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
This time last week, I was trying to get to Ad Astra to take in some Ed wisdom. Yes, I made it, but have been so busy at work in the aftermath of attending that it's taken me until now to post this.
The con is a small, friendly local con, but Canada's oldest sf/fantasy/steampunk/etc. con (31st year, this time around), and it moved to a new hotel this year, which lead to some crowding problems (panels in small hotel guest rooms!). I don't want to bore everyone with a long convention report, but here are some highlights:
A Voice Acting (and advice for authors on reading their own work aloud in public) panel with Kathryn Kramer, Adrienne Kress, and Ed. Adrienne wins the beauty contest, but after this panel I am in awe of Ed's vocal range, acting abilities, and sensitivity.
The Dragon Moon Press launch party. A cavalcade of beautiful ladies who write and edit books (and fill corsets well: take a well-deserved bow, Gabrielle Harbowy!), and yes, there was Ed in a corner singing snatches of Gilbert & Sullivan with J.M. Frey and Adrienne Kress (again). Impressive readings from their brand-new novels by Leah Petersen and Marie Bilodeau. Nice people, and it showed.
A panel on creating cultures for fantastic fiction. GoH Harry Turtledove and Ed are either good friends or got along really well on first acquaintance, and this turned into a fascinating discussion among all the panelists and audience crammed into the room, with Harry and Ed contributing the best observations and playing off each other very well.
A chance to have a good long chat with Ed about the Realms and what gaming means to him and approaches to fantasy fiction. He is a nice, generous, friendly guy who values friendships above all else.
He's also bullish on the future of the Realms, telling me he's very pleased and impressed with what's being prepared behind the scenes. He hopes longtime Realms fans and freelancers will embrace the Realms again when they see what's going to be coming out over the next few years.
Ed bought a LORDS OF WATERDEEP game from a vendor at the con, opened it up, and invited some bored parents of fans to play it while their kids shopped and went to panels. They played for hours, that vendor got a few orders for more copies on the spot, and Ed gave the game to one mother whose kids didn't want to part with it. I didn't play, but kept drifting by to watch for a few minutes, and enjoyed the fun. The really funny thing was that the parents couldn't believe this friendly bearded Canadian guy sitting with them could have any connection to a published boardgame. Heh. Wait'll their kids bring home the comic books...
My only regret is that I couldn't find Gabrielle Harbowy's reading, and missed it. Ed said it was great - - and ALSO held in someone's guest room, with the authors sitting on the bed!
I've heard the con will be at the same hotel next year, and I'm going! It's a fiction and cosplay con more than a gaming con, but the chance to talk to Ed and other creatives face to face is golden.
Great times!
BB

Edit: spelling. Of course.

Edited by - Blueblade on 21 Apr 2012 16:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
27120 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2012 :  06:23:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

He's also bullish on the future of the Realms, telling me he's very pleased and impressed with what's being prepared behind the scenes. He hopes longtime Realms fans and freelancers will embrace the Realms again when they see what's going to be coming out over the next few years.

I want to echo this -- Ed said much the same thing to me in a recent email.

To paraphrase an old line: If Ed's happy about the Realms, I'm happy about the Realms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Apr 2012 06:24:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31460 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2012 :  08:35:41  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I'll definitively echo those above sentiments from the Furried Hamster.

Additionally:-
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ed bought a LORDS OF WATERDEEP game from a vendor at the con, opened it up, and invited some bored parents of fans to play it while their kids shopped and went to panels. They played for hours, that vendor got a few orders for more copies on the spot, and Ed gave the game to one mother whose kids didn't want to part with it. I didn't play, but kept drifting by to watch for a few minutes, and enjoyed the fun. The really funny thing was that the parents couldn't believe this friendly bearded Canadian guy sitting with them could have any connection to a published boardgame. Heh. Wait'll their kids bring home the comic books...
I finally managed to pick up a copy of the LORDS OF WATERDEEP game myself. Two, in fact, since I want to keep a box sealed for storage. Hehe...

Anyways, I'm kind of disappointed with the reality that I don't have any folk to play the game with around here. None of my regular campaign players are interested in the board game, despite the fact that it's set in Waterdeep, so I'm stuck without an opportunity to experience this awesome new platform for Realms-gaming.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1962 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  06:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

...so I'm stuck without an opportunity to experience this awesome new platform for Realms-gaming.
Hrm...does the game lend itself to play-by-skype at all? I still don't own a copy, but if others do perhaps you can play that way?

A question or four for Ed: the night helms that Targrael was searching for in Bury Elminster Deep (page 58) are very interesting.

I'm curious if it's true that Caladnei ordered more of them created and, if yes, whether any of those kept in guarded storage have ever been stolen?

Have they ever been used for something besides defending a royal on the run?

Do night helms share their origin with the helms used by the Masked Lords of Waterdeep?

Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 23 Apr 2012 06:56:12
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
11605 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  04:19:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Ed (& THO) - thanks for the vote of confidence - I'm still chipping-away at a seed of an idea for a different tale (more generic, but still 'Realmsish').

@Wooly - I haven't gotten a private E-Mail, but I gotten the same 'vibe' anyhow, which is why I am trying my best to remain positive (or at the very least, neutral-toned).

@Sage - I feel your pain - I had many games (now gone) that never got played, including the cool-looking House on the Hill. It does get hard to find good all-around gamers these days.

@Jeremy - Great advice! I've been doing something along those lines - placing all the major characters in one-on-one dialogues, so I can get the feel of all the deeper intricacies (its a format I've seen used in campaign guides - little snippets of the world before each chapter - and it seems like a good approach). I'll have to give more thought to the "whats in the closet" approach - I like it! Thanks.

I guess I should ask another question - I was just re-reading the Swordcoast Volo Guide (trying to find something for Erik Boyd in another thread), and I noticed Larloch is referred to as 'the Shadow Ring"... care to explain that title?

I found that oddly fitting, because in another thread I compared a portal network to a 'magical web', like a Weave (or any other 'network of power', like ley-lines). A ring happens to be another type of 'closed' network - could that be a reference to his goals, rather then some piece of jewelry or the like?

The World of Ark - Roleplay in the Age of Legends!
Mark's Maps

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Apr 2012 04:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1076 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  11:19:11  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I guess I should ask another question - I was just re-reading the Swordcoast Volo Guide (trying to find something for Erik Boyd in another thread), and I noticed Larloch is referred to as 'the Shadow Ring"... care to explain that title?

I'm not Ed, but... Have you seen it in a digital version of the book? Is it possible that it was intended to be "Shadow King", and some mistake occurred in the conversion? I'll try to check both versions - printed and digital - at home, tonight. Besides, I only remember Larloch being the leader of a sort or circle of liches.

EDIT: As I guessed, my PDF version has "Shadow Ring" where my printed version has "Shadow King". Certainly a conversion problem.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 26 Apr 2012 11:18:26
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1772 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  23:56:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
A question for ED, in your professional oppinion, how would this retcon affect the 4e novels.

retcon: with the death of mystra, those who could channel spellfire were long forgotten and these days those who can tap into the remains of the spellfire are considered to have the spell plague with some positive and negative effects.
(this is just for pcs and npcs not the areas messed up by the spell plague, such as the lost of unther,matizca,mulhaundc antspellitanyway, halruua etc)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
11605 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  18:33:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks Barastir - I hadn't thought of that.

I have next-to-nothing in hard-copy these days... I think I miss my Volo guides most of all (or, at least as much as the OGB).

Still, that title gives him some sort of ambiguous connection to Shar.

@Sfdragon - I liken Spellfire users to The Scarlet Witch, myself - she taps directly into 'chaos', which is where nearly all magic comes from in the Marvel universe. When she visieted the 'DC Earth' (in a cross-over), her powers increased exponentially, because chaos was FAR more powerful there. She also could barely keep control of them - they were running wild, and she even passed-out (IIRC). I think a Spellfire user in a Weaveless Realms would have mush the same problems (also, a bit like The Chosen during the ToT). Just my 2 cents.

New Question: This might be one THO can answer directly - were there any 'Illithids of note' in Ed's Realms that he could possibly share with us? I get the feeling he likes beholders & dopplegangers, but did he use Mind Flayers much?

The World of Ark - Roleplay in the Age of Legends!
Mark's Maps

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Apr 2012 18:41:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
27120 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  19:10:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Still, that title gives him some sort of ambiguous connection to Shar.

Not really... Anyone acting behind the scenes is referred to as acting in (or from) the shadows. Calling Larly the Shadow King could be simple acknowledgement that he's the grand pooh-ba of acting unseen.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

4853 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  19:22:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed likes and uses a lot of illithids in the home Realms campaign, as subtle/well-hidden manipulators from the shadows. I can't spill names without checking with him, because almost all of his mind flayer lore remains unpublished (but was given to TSR and/or WotC, which puts it in NDA or "potential NDA; better check" territory). So Ed himself is the best man to answer you...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31460 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  01:38:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed likes and uses a lot of illithids in the home Realms campaign, as subtle/well-hidden manipulators from the shadows. I can't spill names without checking with him, because almost all of his mind flayer lore remains unpublished (but was given to TSR and/or WotC, which puts it in NDA or "potential NDA; better check" territory). So Ed himself is the best man to answer you...
love,
THO

Milady, I'd also wouldn't mind hearing about any particularly special and/or long-reaching plots these illithids in Ed's home campaign, have.

Could you pass that along as well?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Apr 2012 01:41:28
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1962 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  06:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Milady, I'd also wouldn't mind hearing about any particularly special and/or long-reaching plots these illithids in Ed's home campaign, have.
May I second this request?

As well, I'm curious if Ed can tell us anything more about the two hired mages who were guarding Lord Melder Crownrood in Bury Elminster Deep (page 45 or so)?

Any info on their names (or assumed names), where they came from and whether or not they were double agents (for the Crown or for the Sembian cabals or Westgate-based merchants looking to cause trouble at the Council of the Dragon in Suzail) would be most appreciated.

Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

253 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  14:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
I'd like to add a question to the pile about silver fire. Specifically in this case, what can happen if somebody over-uses it. I was skimming through a thread on here about the Chosen, and while reading some of Khelben's history came across this:

"With a roar of anger and vengeance, the Nameless exploded through the roof of one of the Six Tyryl Towers, his body glowing and his hair and robes ablaze in silver flames! Similarly to the dragon Peridot's rash charge, he dove headlong into the amassed and "impenetrable" forces of the besieging Army, scattering many gnolls and ogres and orcs like chaff before a great wind. Driving a wedge through the forces, he converged on the Silversgate, where Colonel Cvor and his mezzoloths stood. Spreading his arms wide, the Nameless One scrawled one line in the shattered marble of the street before him with a beam of silver fire, and no mezzoloth crossed that line that day. On his arms, he formed massive wings of silver fire, raising them high and knocking many creatures down from high towers or parapets. As he walked slowly and steadily forward, the blazing line advanced with him, forcing all back before him."

I'm wondering about the extent that use of silver fire can have a detrimental effect on the body of the user when it is spent. I do recall one of Ed's replies from I think several years back, when I believe he mentioned that every time a non-Sister is hurt and "bleeds" silver fire it has a detrimental effect on their psyche (with the Seven Sisters immune to the damage because they were "bred" for it to begin with), but I'd like to know what can happen if silver fire is spent willingly. In Troy Denning's Archwizards trilogy, Khelben described the effect of unleashing silver fire as a "blissful pain" (which implies that it is both pleasurable and painful to use/feel, regardless of whether or not it's a voluntary exercise of power), and that was just enough to kill a phaerimm.

If it is truly degenerative in a very real sense, how fast can it happen? Have there been Chosen (or non-Chosen users of silver fire, as Ed has also mentioned previously) who degenerated rapidly from over-use of silver fire (not their body being unable to handle it or from "bleeding" it, but just throwing it at their enemies too much and too often)? And is the feeling of silver fire addictive to the user? If they use it once, do they want to use it more ("addicted to the feeling"), in a downward spiral? Sammaster seemed to be mentally unstable even before he really went off the deep end - was the "feeling" of silver fire a contributor to that?

Additionally, to go back to Khelben's "blissful pain" feeling, how much more of that feeling would he have experienced when using the amount of silver fire described in the quote? While the silver fire restores itself over time and "recharges" will over-use in that fashion prove damaging in a physical sense as well as mental? All the energy of the silver fire has to actually come from somewhere, I presume. Is there a quick-acting way to draw in/ready more silver fire. I toyed with the thought that the silver fire might actually have the ability to start eating away at the body of the user in order to get the necessary energy for such a large output of power (or perhaps starts consuming memorised spell energy to power itself), but wasn't sure if it was even close to the mark.

Does the power just have to be drawn directly from the Weave? Can its build-up even be accelerated at all? And if it is, what might this result in for the Weave in the nearby area? From what I recall, using silver fire to erase a dead magic zone or similar is draining on the Weave, to the point where Mystra discourages its use except in emergencies. If the "energy" for silver fire has to come from somewhere, the logical place is the Weave in the nearby area to the person using it at such a high level. Which, if there was indeed such a high degree of energy use, would be extremely dangerous to the Weave (and Mystryl did spend a lot of time repairing the Weave when the Netherese were draining it, so I would initially imagine that a wide-scale energy drain on the Weave from silver fire could require Mystra to do something similar).

Am I anywhere close to the bulls-eye? Or am I aiming at a target on the other side of the wall behind me instead?

(All my questions seem to wind up being a lot longer than I intended. My apologies for that.)

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless

Edited by - Eldacar on 27 Apr 2012 14:36:54
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Senior Scribe

799 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  22:43:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I am trying to post a pick here of the alternative images of Elminster, for Ed's opinion as well as his fans.
So...
picture B would be the closer of the two. Longer beard with the pipe. Remember, for as much as we like the old wizard, he does fair a surpassing resemblance to an old goat (successfully makes save v/s polymorph spell to turn Slevyas into a goat).
My take on this is that the archetypical robed figure with everstinkin' pipe in that old mill tower is but one more mask - "a good example" Elminster presents to the wizards still looking up at him. He's still both "prince of thieves" and the one told to learn from mages without taking the accompanying title or habits... among the other faces. Conversely, when he's out for some quiet meddling anybody would be lucky to recognize Elminster as a living thing at all.
To put it in another way, he's the sort of a man who wears perfect formal clothes and demonstratively plays by all the rules while in an official role... privately not even for a moment believing in them being anything more than generally useful guidelines, because he saw too much to cling to such illusions.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

4853 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  00:04:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring the latest words of Ed, this time in response to TBeholder.
Ed sent me this:

Bingo! Right-on correct. Very well said.

So there you have it. So saith Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
3758 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  15:28:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ed, as anyone who has heard me talk probably knows, my main fascination with the realms revolves around the pre-spellplague red wizards. One thing that I've always wanted to do was run a campaign set around the time of the actual rebellion that broke off Thay from Mulhorand. Off and on, I've actually done little bits of research about what spellcasters were around then, statted the movers and shakers if just to work out the history and play with the ruleset. One of the things that only recently came to mind though, is how did Mystra react to Thay's breaking away? How did the Chosen react to Thay's breaking away? Technically, the area was a predominantly Mulhorandi pantheon state at the time, but the overthrow definitely allowed for the re-emergence of the Faerunian pantheon.... so did that have any impact on involvement? I'd have to look and see timeline-wise where they were, but were the seven sisters even in their prominence yet?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1054 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  00:37:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

One of the things that only recently came to mind though, is how did Mystra react to Thay's breaking away? How did the Chosen react to Thay's breaking away?

I would suspect that Mystra would welcome the move because it encourages the use of Art amongst people (more opportunities to learn the Art now the Mulhorandi 'Tyranny' is ended) and also encourages wizards to expand their range of spells as well (so the red wizards break away and a war of succession/repression takes place, involving magic on both sides, which forces wizards on both sides to think of new spells to protect/hide/buff themselves against the new slaying spells that the opposition wizards have created to more quickly kill their enemy etc.)

I would suspect a massive increase in new and uncovered magic as well during this time. Wizards fight and die and their hidden spell books fall into other hands and more general use, also the creation and use of magic items would likely to increase as well.

We also see the emergence of a magical led society which despite its alignment will see magic flourish and become an every day occurence furthering the Art every day in every day ways.

The Thayvians also provide a nice balance against the Halruaans and the Rashemi, as well as (arguably) saving the Sword Coast North from plunging into chaos during the Orcgates Affair and providing yet another group of wizards (the Covenant) an opportunity to plot and plan and craft Art against Thay in retaliation for the Orcgates Affair.

Just my thoughts

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
52 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  03:42:22  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
Hello!
First sorry for my English.

I'd like to help me take these questions to Ed Greenwood, and if he has already handled this matter elsewhere, let me know where to find, please!

I'd love to know how works the magic system that Ed uses in his campaign, or what system he envisioned when he created the Realms?

During these years that I follow Forgotten Realms, I have noticed that the way Ed Greenwood uses magic is far more malleable than the standard system of (A)D&D. For example, he uses the memorization (or preparation) to spell? If so, uses the same way as the official books? And metamagic?

I want to know a bit about the history of the magic system of Ed Greenwood. For example, how he handled the many editions of D&D? In his campaign there is a difference between sorcerers and wizards, as well as in Third Edition?

I know that Ed works the magic of a deep and detailed way, and he might have to write one book to answer this issue, but I'd be really happy with a summary that was enlightening, please!

Thank you!

Edited by - rodrigoalcanza on 01 May 2012 03:43:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

4853 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  18:18:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, rodrigo!
As one of Ed's longtime players and friends, I can make a start on replying to your questions...
When Ed created the Realms (starting in 1966), he didn't have any specific magic system in mind.
When D&D started to appear, Ed was delighted with its adoption of the system Jack Vance used in his Dying Earth tales (which Ed was familiar with), because it put specific limitations (and powers) re. magic use. When that was coupled with specific details for monsters (i.e. when the original hardcover "AD&D" Monster Manual and Players Handbook were both out in public use, and could be used together), Ed adopted them for the Realms.
From then on, he wrote spellcasting, magic item effects, and so on all to match the rules. When he introduced new spells, magic items, and monsters in his fiction, Ed attached full game writeups for them to his manuscripts.
However, over the years, some editors have changed Ed's prose to NOT match game rules, due to publisher philosophies at the times. And of course, the rules have changed, too, rendering some of Ed's writing retroactively "not-matching" with the game rules.
Ed has introduced many game rules, spells, magic items, and monsters to the game himself (in fact, probably more of each than anyone except Gary), and most of these have appeared in official rulebooks or Realms sourcebooks over the years. Some, however, appear in fiction without being clearly labeled in game terms as what they are. Ed makes much use of "hanging" spells (cast but left "ready," so as to be unleashed with a single word, or when specific conditions occur, as with a magic mouth spell) and silent, will-only variants (a level higher than the verbal, somatic, material "standard" form of the same magical effect), magic item "triggers," and so on - - so they often SEEM to differ from the official rules. He also uses other systems of casting than Weave-based arcane magic, sometimes unlabelled.
More later...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
52 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  20:10:28  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
My sincere thanks to you, The Hooded One. You're really a blessing for all fans of the Forgotten Realms!

Thank you!

Rodrigo.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3235 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  21:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Some of the other differences that stand out to me are
-- a much larger variety of spells -- old, newly created, unearthed, modified, variant -- than is usually assumed, thus more unpredictability, and 'standard tactics' don't work so well
-- a much larger role for long-lasting personal and place-based wards and other magical fields
-- much scope for casting a prepared spell in different ways, as highlighted in 'Elminster at the Magefair', and partly modellable with 3E metamagic feats -- this is a large part of what 'the Art' consists of
-- a different common taxonomy and terminology for spell types, existing alongside the school system

There were always relatively free-form, wild-talent wizards similar to the 3E sorcerer, but in the Realms the word 'sorcerer' is a near-synonym of 'mage' and 'wizard' (with slightly more sinister connotations, as in our world) and isn't used in the Realms to refer to them.

Ed has described in a previous post the reasons the detailed working of Realms magic were never gone into -- it was partly to do with not wanting to seem to depart from current rules, as I recall -- but over all those sourcebooks and novels a lot of the picture has got through.

I dream of a big book of Realms-magic that lays out clearly the basics as understood by a journeyman mage, with hundreds of spells, which would have to be in a much briefer format than Ed's favoured-for-spells lawyerese.

I thought I read Ed saying that Realms magic was Vanceian pre-D&D, just not in the formalized way the game did it, but I seem to have crushed with my great strength the USB plug that connects to my hard drive with those archives . . .
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  00:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Perhaps one day Elminster will allow Volo to release the un-edited version of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical....though I doubt he'll change his mind anytime soon on the matter, some things are best kept secret.
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
52 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  00:25:46  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
All this is very interesting, thank you!

If you find more things about it, be sure to post here.

Another question is about spells with common functions, doing everyday things. I realize that in all editions of D&D, the spells have always been more focused on combat and adventure. There are exceptions, but I actually find more magic oriented to combat situations and adventure in game books of D&D. I could be right to assume that the Ed original Realms existed more spells and magic items with functions less oriented to combat and adventure?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

4853 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  16:42:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! Ed is incredibly busy crafting new Realmslore right now, but he surfaced long enough to send me the "bare beginnings" of a reply to Skeptic, re. this query posted back in January of this year (Page 2 of this thread): "I'm curious to hear anything he can say about the "wintering process" of Waterdeep's nobility. As much about those who departs for the south than those who choose to stay. Anything from the logistics of travel to the connections with Tethir's nobility. I'm more interested about how it was circa 1370 than current time."
Ed replies:

Hi, Skeptic. The "winter run" is simply the desire of those who can afford to do so (the idle rich, the REALLY wealthy traders, crafters who spend the winter making things to sell in the warmer months, and would rather do it somewhere warm enough that feeding fires won't take up much time and money, and many others for a myriad of different reasons) to "overwinter" in places warmer (i.e. more southerly) than Waterdeep. For a few, this just means moving to Athkatla before mud closes the roads in fall (or harbor icing interrupts cheap ship travel), but for most, it means moving to cities or owned or rented properties throughout Tethyr and the Tashalar.
As for who goes, that "depends," of course. As in, a Waterdhavian noble family will leave trade factors (agents who are paid staff/servants) and at least one family member who has the authority to sign documents/make mercantile decisions in Waterdeep, and "the household" (children plus their tutors and nurses, plus elderly family members who "feel the cold") will relocate. A few noble families who are "above trade" themselves ALL head south to avoid the winter ice and bitter cold winds and storms that bedevil "the Deep," but most years, an everchanging crew of "skeleton shieldbearers" represent each family in the City of Splendors. For those who brave the cold, the city is certainly less crowded, so access to good clubs and eateries is faster and they are less crowded. Mages of minor powers (and local temples and independent clerics) who winter over do a brisk trade in magically sending messages between family members (and coster staff and guildmembers) in the City and those who've "gone sutherly."
So a DM can literally pick and choose individuals to be in Waterdeep or elsewhere in the spring, fall, and winter months. There's no "this family always ALL go south" unless you want there to be, in your campaign. (There are also increasing numbers of citizens who "hole up" close to warm hearths for the cold months, staying in the city but rarely venturing outside, employing others to "freeze their teeth" for them.)
Hope this helps, as a start.

So saith Ed. Who is working on "A whole bunch of things right now, each of them more exciting than the others. ;}"
Ahem.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000