Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I envy anyone who can just walk into their library to talk to Ed. Or did you make a special trip?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Special trip. I wanted Ed to sign my Lords of Waterdeep game.
(He did, but protested he hadn't designed it, and I really needed to hunt down the "superb" guys who had, likely at GenCon. As if I needed an excuse to go to GenCon!)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:50:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yes, Blueblade, Ed tells me he'll be at Ad Astra (and probably at FanExpo this year, too). So far as I know thus far, his Ad Astra panels include:
- Villains 101 (probably with Gabrielle Harbowy, his esteemed co-editor on WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME and the forthcoming WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME), Saturday at 10 am.
- All About Voice (vocal performances, e.g. voiceovers), Saturday at 11 am.
- Biblio-Fantasies (fantastic fiction involving books), Saturday at noon.
- Creating Sf/F Languages, Saturday at 4 pm.
- Steampunk Lit ("Steam Driven Words"), Sunday at noon.
(He'll be part of the "gang signing" from 1-3 Saturday, and doesn't know yet when his reading will be.)
More information when/if I learn it (Ed may not know bout his reading until he arrives at the con and registers).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  21:29:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!

A few days back, in this thread, scribe Therise asked:
“Another quick question about trade caravans and merchants -

I've always treated the major roads on the FR maps as "primary trade routes" and my impression was that they'd always be fairly heavy with trade. But one of my friends recently asked me "how heavy?" meaning he wanted to know the actual frequency of encountering merchants and caravans. This may have been asked before, but taking Cormyr as an example again, and say you're a traveler on the main road out of Cormyr that leads directly to Daerlun, about how often would you expect to see:

- a lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon
- a small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards
- a large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards
- bigger? how big could caravans typically get?

I imagine all of this depends on seasonal weather, wealth of the merchants in question, which road leading into Cormyr, and all that good stuff. But generally speaking, I'm thinking you'd see (at least) lots of lone merchants, several small caravans, and one major caravan in a given day. Or is this too much? Any details you can share, generally?
Thanks in advance!”
Well, here’s a response from Ed:

Hi, Therise! Well, it DOES depend. :}
Especially on whether or not it’s daylight, and what the weather is like (lashing rain or freezing temperatures aren’t just hard on drovers and animals, they ruin some cargoes). Also on the time of year (the spring and fall mud and the winter snows can sometimes close down that road linking Cormyr and Sembia through Daerlun, and there’s always heavy traffic just after harvests, and during the spring “opening up” and just before the winter “drawing down” of roads).
However, let’s assume that it’s an average summer day, not near any special occasion, it’s peacetime, and you are spending the day traveling along that road at an average speed (overtaking few and being overtaken by few).
So here we go . . .
You would almost NEVER be out of sight of pilgrims or a family walking, and a peddler/messenger (on horse, leading a mule, or just shouldering two balanced satchels, and walking).
You would seldom be out of sight of a farmer (with assistant), on a wagon or cart, usually moving hay or feed, but sometimes straw or manure.
Your “lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon” will almost always have an assistant or his wife - - or if lacking that, will “pair up” with another lone merchant for such overland treks (so if a wagon wheel or someone’s leg breaks, someone else can go for help or aid the injured). You’ll see one of them about every five minutes, and pass them about every ten minutes (i.e. they’ll be in sight before and after you actual pass them).
Your “small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards” will be in view about every twelve minutes apart.
Your “large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards,” from two to five an hour.
Larger caravans, of 20 wagons or more, perhaps eight a day. Wartime or harvest-tide or “buildup of goods” caravans of any sort can be as large as sixty wagons (and in dangerous overland areas in the Sword Coast North, forty-odd wagons is the prudent minimum for caravans), but the Cormyr-Sembia coast road is busy, with large caravans more unwieldy than needed for safety, so big caravans tend to be large “single shipper movements,” like a coster racing a fish catch in a dozen wagons.
An average day might see ten to fourteen of these sorts of 8-16 wagon “runs.” As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

So saith Ed. Who is happily writing and designing something secret right now.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  22:04:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes.
Markustay, sorry for my mistyping glitch in my post about the award nominees.
SOLACE IN SO MANY WORDS is an anthology with many, many contributors (from Weighted Words, edited by Beals, etc. etc.). So it's by a whole lot of folks.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  09:13:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Especially on whether or not it’s daylight, and what the weather is like (lashing rain or freezing temperatures aren’t just hard on drovers and animals, they ruin some cargoes).

An average day might see ten to fourteen of these sorts of 8-16 wagon “runs.” As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

Very helpful Ed many thanks.

Awhile back THO said that food went to Sembia and wines and good cloth came back into Cormyr. Is there any more 'bread and butter' trade goods that pass between those two countries, am trying to build up a picture of trade goods for my nosy players to stick their noses into

And talking about nosy adventurers, how much brigandage is there on the Way of the Manticore (and any natural choke points they wait around)? are there a series of fortified inns/waystations that are a 'day' apart to provide shelter for the merchants? Any regular peddlars that ship 'unusual' goods (a soap man, the potion seller etc).

Best to all

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  09:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message
Ahem, it's been a while.

To echo and second slevyas's question, one of my players is somewhat gaga over what sorts of useful things (armor, weapons, clothing, gear) can be made from "monster parts", so I too would appreciate any such Realmsian items you can share or suggest.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (3.x/PF 14th lvl)
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1401 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  12:09:36  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!

A few days back, in this thread, scribe Therise asked:
“Another quick question about trade caravans and merchants (...)

Well, here’s a response from Ed:

(...) As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

Hi, Ed!

Could you please tell us about the trade caravans between Scornubel and Waterdeep, and specify the movement between Way Inn and the City of Splendors, around 1368 DR? How about the role of the trading companies? Do they usually have 20+ merchants? How about protection?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 12 Apr 2012 12:10:02
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, Barastir. I'm not Ed or THO, obviously, but Ed wrote an entire novel (Hand of Fire, the last of the Spellfire/Shandril trilogy) centered on caravans operating out of Scornubel to Waterdeep, Elturel, Silverymoon, and points north.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:36:32  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
Thanks Ed and THO! This was -very- helpful, and it's great to hear just how busy the Realmsian roads actually are!

I really appreciate it! =)

4E Realms was awful, but it's water under the Boareskyr Bridge. Let's make 5E Realms truly shine!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
792 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  17:05:48  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi THO, ED.

There's a minor character from Spellfire (with a bit of interesting detail written up in the Saerloon entry of the FRA hardcover book) named Salvarad, who was a Sembian Cult of the Dragon leader. He was mentioned as one of the single greatest forces of evil in the Dragonreach. He seemed to be the only one who took Shandril as a serious threat and warned them to stop seeking her. Sadly he didn't show up in later Cult of the Dragon related novels and was minorly mentioned in some of the 3rd edition source material. Can Ed tell me/us anything about his life and what he got up to? As a Shar and Cyric worshipper I wonder how he was affected by the Spellplague events. Any info would be greatly appreciated! It's funny how minor characters can stick with us...

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  21:25:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Damian, re. this: "Awhile back THO said that food went to Sembia and wines and good cloth came back into Cormyr. Is there any more 'bread and butter' trade goods that pass between those two countries, am trying to build up a picture of trade goods for my nosy players to stick their noses into."
I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but we've spoken about this very topic recently, in our own campaign, and the short reply re. trade goods passing along that road is: EVERYTHING.
As in: anything that isn't really bulky yet not harmed by damp (because heavy bulk cargoes like charcoal and lumber and stone often go by ship, along the Dragon Coast - - but everything else goes by wagon). Cormyr is the source for a lot of "raw materials" (pigment for paintings and frames, finishes for furniture AND the wood for that same furniture, metal ingots for use in making wire and fine castings, etc.) that Sembian firms and crafters use in making "finished goods").
Ed will provide proper details, of course, but those wagons could have just about EVERYTHING: raw or refined materials/ingredients, and horse-related finished goods like tack and harness, going from Cormyr to Sembia - - and all the "finished" goods made from them, going from Sembia to Cormyr (and, via the caravans overland through the Heartlands, on to the Sword Coast).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Apr 2012 21:54:26
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  03:09:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but we've spoken about this very topic recently, in our own campaign, and the short reply re. trade goods passing along that road is: EVERYTHING.

love,
THO

Thank you muchly Good Lady Herald, duly added to the campaign notes for future reference.

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5812 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  14:31:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Ahem, it's been a while.

To echo and second slevyas's question, one of my players is somewhat gaga over what sorts of useful things (armor, weapons, clothing, gear) can be made from "monster parts", so I too would appreciate any such Realmsian items you can share or suggest.

Yeah, my thoughts centered around lingerie just to point out other options. However, it'd be interesting to hear any other alternate uses (and maybe it might be worth spinning off another thread for this). As odd as it may sound, a vase filled with decorated and preserved beholder eyestalks could be interesting. Maybe the wings of dead harpies/ griffins / pegasi, etc... are animated and used literally as fans in a throne room.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  15:53:16  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Is Maos (the rising island in the moonsea) an invention of Terra or is their an Ed influence for this?
Go to Top of Page

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  15:12:37  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message
Hi there, my question is regarding the script Thorass. Does it have different case letters? e.g. Aa Bb

Thanks - Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14031 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  19:17:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Did Ed ever 'do' anything with the Alaghi? Were they his creation? Anything at all you can share with us?
quote:

Hi again, fellow scribes.
Markustay, sorry for my mistyping glitch in my post about the award nominees.
SOLACE IN SO MANY WORDS is an anthology with many, many contributors (from Weighted Words, edited by Beals, etc. etc.). So it's by a whole lot of folks.
Ah, okay - I got confused. I thought you were giving us a list of stories in the volume Ed co-edited.

EDIT: How do I apply to get into an anthology?

(I only ask this because I had a doozy that would have fit the 'Heroes come home' theme perfectly... but it was set in the Realms, so it probably couldn't have gotten published anyway).

It's more of a 'when heroes don't make it home' story, actually.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Apr 2012 19:25:33
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1401 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  16:10:39  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, Barastir. I'm not Ed or THO, obviously, but Ed wrote an entire novel (Hand of Fire, the last of the Spellfire/Shandril trilogy) centered on caravans operating out of Scornubel to Waterdeep, Elturel, Silverymoon, and points north.
BB

Thank you, Blueblade. But those books reveal the size and frequency of caravans there, just like the answer to Therise deals with Cormyrean traders? I wanted some info because in my game the PCs usually travel a lot through the Daggerford - Waterdeep road, and now they will start going further to the south.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  17:17:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. As many people besides Ed have discovered, taking time out to attend a convention (no matter how much fun it is, or work you get done there, and Ed tells me Ad Astra came through on both fronts) means you have to work doubly hard when you get back, to deal with everything that's piled up whilst you've been away.
So Ed and I had a phone chat last night (one of many for him), and I am hereby empowered to answer a few queries:

Rhewtani, Maos is a Terra addition. However (see the Bell In The Depths, discussed years back in this thread) this is a recurring Ed theme for the Moonsea from its creation (pre-TSR, pre-D&D).

thomaslove92, Thorass does indeed have upper and lower case letters, but uppers are usually used to begin names, NOT to begin sentences (there's a vertical stroke to do that). There are also no question marks; a query is signaled by turning the last letter (that in written English would precede a question mark) from vertical to horizontal.

Markustay, many anthologies (including the Gabrielle and Ed ones, thus far, and the Realms anthologies to date) are "invitation only" rather than "open," so managing that first step to being considered can be a difficult one. The best way to get noticed is by writing superb fiction of your own and either posting it online for free where it will get noticed, or by following the rules and getting into print in, say, BLACK GATE. Small presses (like ChiZine for horror, Dragon Moon Press, and others) can be good "open" markets if your stuff matches what they want to print . . . but if I were you, I'd write that idea up into the best non-Realms story you can, then show it to Gabrielle and Ed. It just might wind up in a future anthology. If not, Ed can help you shop it to the best places for it to get snapped up.

sleyvas, one "critter part" use I recall from early Realmsplay with Ed as DM is that catoblepas skulls, cleaned out and inverted, make perfect hard, durable bowls that can take almost any sort of abuse (freezing, being whacked by really enthusiastic mixing and stirring activities, even turned the other way up to serve as stepstools or to raise furniture) without cracking, leaking, etc. Morkoth stomach linings make self-sealing bladders for liquid storage and transport, that last for years if kept out of the sun. And so on. Ed will provide more specifics when he can snatch the time.

And that's it for the moment. Ed promises to provide what he can, as soon as he can. He just has to recover from Ad Astra (and adds, "Ladies: thanks for the wine and the corsets and getting to watch them being put on. Sheer bliss. And it doesn't hurt that you are ALL superb storytellers who gave me great reads, too!")
love to all,
THO
P.S. Gabrielle, I didn't make it to the con this year, but I understand Blueblade did, at least fleetingly. So we may or may not see a "tell all" report. I did come across an e-mail from him about a fun party in the penthouse, and Ed singing G&S with Jess and Adrienne Kress, so...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  00:09:25  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I am trying to post a pick here of the alternative images of Elminster, for Ed's opinion as well as his fans.

So...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Dragons_Eye_View_4-18_ElminsterConcepts.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120418

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5812 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  00:21:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I am trying to post a pick here of the alternative images of Elminster, for Ed's opinion as well as his fans.

So...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Dragons_Eye_View_4-18_ElminsterConcepts.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120418

picture B would be the closer of the two. Longer beard with the pipe. Remember, for as much as we like the old wizard, he does fair a surpassing resemblance to an old goat (successfully makes save v/s polymorph spell to turn Slevyas into a goat).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  11:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
A question for Ed on the nature of the ability of Chosen to detect magical energies. As I recall, Elminster uses it at one point, "scouting ahead" to investigate the traps lying in wait for him and thereby avoid them. In game terms, this seems to usually be represented by an always-on ability identical to the Detect Magic spell.

Is that all there is to the ability? Or does it have other functions and operations that may be kept quiet by the Chosen for one reason or another? Is it the sort of ability that's "always on" but takes a bit to kick into gear (for lack of a better term) if they want to use it?

And to the Chosen, what is the visual representation of the power? The spell is usually described as revealing magical auras around magic items, spells, emanations and the like. Is it identical? Are the auras colour-coded to any extent, perhaps? Or do you tell the differences through the way the aura reacts or "moves" in response to manipulation (e.g. a wizard activating a wand, a warrior swinging a sword, magic armour turning aside a blow with its enhanced protection) by external effects? Or something else entirely?

I suppose, when you get down to it, I'd like to know as much as Ed can tell us about this ability, or whether or not it's as simple as "always-on Detect Magic" the way the tabletop portrays it.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
171 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  10:44:21  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,
I planned to guide my PCs to explore the Caverns of the claws near Eveningstar. Here are my questions, maybe NDA doesn't concern all of them :

1. What is the main entrance of such a network of galleries ? I assume it can't be very visible, right ?

2. How many levels of caves exist in these Caverns ? Is it just a main level very expanded or a many levels network ?

3. I choose the option of a deepspawn's lair. How the deepspawn can spawn a "powerful spawn", more powerful than others trolls spawned of the network ? What happened at first ? Why does the deepspawn doesn't spawn ONLY powerful spawn ?

4. Bonus question : How many trolls can be reasonably put there ? I suppose if there were too many, War Wizards or Purple Dragons should have definitely cleaned the network and collapse the tunnels...

Excuse my english, I do my best.
Thanks.
Marco

Edited by - Marco Volo on 20 Apr 2012 17:12:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14031 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  20:13:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for your response, THO.

I fear I couldn't possibly do that story justice anywhere BUT in the Realms. Its set immediately after the fall of Mystra, when The North was in turmoil, and several groups were raising armies 'just in case' (and even the 'good guys' were resorting to conscription).

Its a very sad story about loss, and was inspired by a magnificent piece I read years ago, about a mother who lost her son during Korea. That story moved me so greatly I still 'tear up' (and falls WAY outside of my normal reading genres). I wanted to showcase how everyone (in the Realms) has a story, and not every hero has to 'slay a dragon'.

Awhile back several Realms-writers offered me advice (here, in the 'ask the authors' thread), when I stated I have my own HB world, but I can think of no stories I want to write about in it. Yet, I can think of dozens of stories I want to write in every nook & cranny of the Realms. The advice they gave was the same as yours - take that realms story and just make it fit your world.

Unfortunately, its just not the same. Despite all the detail I have come-up with (for my own realms), I just don't care enough about the characters - they seem two-dimensional, whereas the realms feels like its alive. I can't explain it. I'm stuck in a loop - I can't write about stuff I don't care about, and I can't care about stuff I haven't read about.

Ed: How did you breath life into your characters, before you ever wrote about them? Did you envision real, living people before you even set pen to page?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Apr 2012 20:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  04:25:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ed: How did you breath life into your characters, before you ever wrote about them? Did you envision real, living people before you even set pen to page?
The instructor for a writing course I took at Stanford once had the class envision the mundane things you'd probably never write about for the main character in your novel, then asked us to write for 15 minutes about what was in our character's closet.

After that we moved on to 15 minutes of what's under their bed.

Whenever I get stuck on a character I try to do exercises like these because they help me build the world around a character, which informs me about the character and gets me back on track to writing.

By the way: this is another reason why the Volo's Guides kick ass when it comes to creating and roleplaying NPCs, because they take care of the essential, human level world building; what people do, how the world effects them and what it's like for them to live their lives in a place filled with magic, etc.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000