Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  03:38:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I guess my question disappeared into the Astral Plane.
Ed, when was the last time the Old Meddler nearly had
his timecard punched in a ono-on-one spelll duel?

*bangs head*

If your question was posted (that is if you can see it next time you read the scroll) then it has been received and will be answered as time and law permit.

Indeed.

Althen, Kentinal has the right of it. Please refer to my post below:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed's technique of answering questions doesn't follow any kind of specific pattern. Nor does he forget previously asked questions from the past few days, to the past few years. The ever-vigilant Lady Herald of Realmslore -- The Hooded One -- provides a listing of questions asked and [undoubtedly] questions answered. So please, remain patient. Both Ed and the Lady Herald will get to your query in time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  04:10:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Ooh, Fellfire had some thoughts regarding elven vampires, and so, I just had to ask on behalf of both of us- is there any Realmslore regarding Kancheisis, the vampire god known as the "Rake"? And are there any elven vampires associated with him? Also, what type of vampire is he- human, elven, or something else?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  04:34:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed, I have a rather trivial question; but it is important to me for the conclusion of a line of thought I've been entertaining for some time.

Can you tell me the FIRST god in the world of the Forgotten Realms that was fully in the form of a human...in veneration.

The reason I ask is that while I'm sure many gods have come to assume such a form, it is because perhaps the majority of their worshipers were in fact human.

That isn't precisely what I'm asking however, but which god either manifest itself initially as a fully human appearing being, or first made the "transformation" to the fact that their primary form was that of a human appearing being.

If in fact you could provide that, a great many things might be resolved for me! Thank you in advance...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  04:34:58  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
noooooo, I had put in this question around page 13
and my pc timed out. Sometimes when that happens
my questions turn up anyway on the forum.
Guys I've been here long enough to know how Ed
works.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  05:00:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

noooooo, I had put in this question around page 13
and my pc timed out. Sometimes when that happens
my questions turn up anyway on the forum.
Guys I've been here long enough to know how Ed
works.

I had a feeling that might have also been the case, Althen. Consider my earlier point above to be for the benefit of newer scribes then.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  10:08:05  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
So there you have it; the origins of Tempus the wargod of the Realms, from Ed.
love,
THO

Thank you very much, Our Hooded Lady, it was way more than what I expected!
And please, thank our great sage Ed for me, could you?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  12:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Oh great Greenwood, a question for thee:

We know a lot of the strong, muscled people in the realms achieve their musculature through intense battle training or working the forge and other such things mostly. I was wondering if they do any resistance training like we do in the real world? Bench presses, barbell and dumbell curls, etc... is any of this done for muscle building?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  12:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Further to my last question, are there anabolic steroids in the realms? Would they mostly be prevalent among gladiators, or in Maztica, those who play the Ball Game?

Mechanically I imagine it would give some kind of Strength bonus, or Constitution/Endurance bonuses, with moderate adiction and overdose causing some kind of permanent HP loss perhaps.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  16:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I've always imagined that weightlifting is a dwarven past-time. With all those random metal around, I figure it didn't take too long for someone to start working out with them. And dwarves being dwarves, the random forge bars would quickly evolve into more recognizable modern "dumbells."

I also figured that dwarves would be into marathon or other long distance running, given their racial hardiness. Plus it would be something to do in their underground cities: long distance tunnel running.

Which segues into a pair of questions: First, what are some stereotypical racial hobbies for the demihuman races? We know halflings play hide and seek and throw stone, elves practice with bows, but can Ed fill in some other hobbies for the Big Four?

And second, have either the elves or dwarves ever had something akin to the Olympic Games? Specifically, recurring inter-kingdom/nation sporting tournaments. If so, when were they held, how often, when did they stop, and what sports were contested?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  21:25:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Two years. I think I can answer for most of the scribes that we've "given up" on guessing the infamous author of Filfaeril, Bound and Willing.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  23:41:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Two years. I think I can answer for most of the scribes that we've "given up" on guessing the infamous author of Filfaeril, Bound and Willing.

I'd rather read it than guess whom wrote it

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  23:55:36  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
So Madam Hoody, why are black holes "hairy stars"?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  03:16:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

So Madam Hoody, why are black holes "hairy stars"?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Feb 2011 03:17:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  03:37:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. In Russian slang, "black hole" means anus (gaping, exposed, and OFFERED). Wherefore, so they can discuss er, black holes in classrooms, polite society, on the news, etc. Russian astronomers use the term "hairy stars." (Why they chose that particular alternative euphemism is something best asked of them.)
Hence my use of this as an illustration of how a word or phrase that means one thing in one language and/or culture, can mean quite another in another language and/or culture, and writers, if they can, and are writing something used widely around the world, should try to be aware of meanings, impressions, and misunderstandings "elsewhere."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  03:56:00  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I just KNEW that was going in that direction.
Why o why did I ask?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  03:56:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A lore reply from Ed to Azuth, re. the questions that follow:

Azuth: "In Elminster in Hell it's made clear that Elminster will be cut off from the Weave and Mystra when he seals the portal between the two planes (Chapter 1 or prologue, I believe). Does this mean that all spellcasters are somewhat impotent beyond Faerūn? I just wonder how this works with the demiplane of Shadows (Malaugrym), et cetera. Conversely, would a Chosen or worshipper of Mystra have extra potency in her home in Nirvana?"

Ed: All spellcasters whose sole method of working magic is the Weave have lessened powers when "away from" Faerūn, yes. The precise lessening depends on the nature of where they are (astral, etc.). Demiplanes can be seen, in one sense, as echoes of, or very closely linked to, a given Prime Material Plane, so any lessening of magical ability, and changes in spell effects, will be minimal rather than great. In the case of the Realms, the demiplane of Shadows is closely linked to it, so most magic effective in the Realms will remain (almost as) effective in the home of the Malaugrym.
In theory, a Chosen or worshipper of Mystra would have extra potency in Nirvana, IF SHE WISHED THEM TO. Just how much "extra potency," and how it works, remains to be discovered (the hard way ;}).

Azuth: "It seems that Cynosure is an area that is connected to the Weave yet separate from the other planes. I just assume that there's some tendril of the Weave that reaches to it as Mystra has power there. It is implied in Crucible and Prince of Lies that Mystra can not only cut off other deities' power from the Weave, but that they maintain their powers on other planes. I'm just trying to reconcile this (if that's possible) with Elminster losing his powers when "cut off" from Faerūn. Is this because he's not a deity? Or linked to his status as a Chosen, perhaps? I know that non-Ed authors draw upon their own interpretations of how things work, but insight from Ed is always most appreciated."

Ed: Cynosure is connected to the Weave, but we don't clearly know or see just how, yet. Yes, your assumption about the reach of the Weave would indeed seem to be correct, because Mystra demonstrably does have power there.
Yes, Mystra can cut off access to the Weave, because in one sense she IS the Weave. Elminster is not a deity, and loses much when "cut off" from Faerūn. Mystra could reach him in, say, the Nine Hells, and fight for him, but as we saw in Elminster In Hell, she dared not use her full power in Hell (NOT because Asmodeus or anyone else could "prevent her" or punished her for doing so, but rather because to do so would have over-strained the Weave AND torn asunder the planar fabric, risking creating uncontrollable, ever-enlarging rifts that might have destroyed Faerūn and "leaked" the Nine Hells into adjacent planes. It was a matter of responsibility, of refraining from destroying everything just to get her own way in one thing).
El didn't lose his powers. He lost all the benefits of a direct connection to the Weave (like replenishing spells, conferring with Mystra, effortlessly calling on the aid of fellow Chosen, Mystra, Azuth, the servitors of those two deities, and using the Weave itself). He didn't lose his inherent Chosen abilities, the silver fire within him, and so on - - but realized right away, like a good Boy Scout, that he instantly had to start conserving what little he had left for when he might REALLY need it, and not reveal to any watching devil what powers (and importance) he did retain.

There you have it, from Ed himself. Realmslore, Realmslore, endless Realmslore . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  14:05:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again all!

I reread Stormlight last night and a few questions popped into my head

How is Sevensash pronounced (seven-sash or sevens-ash? I suspect the former). In response to Dowager Summerstar asking about them, Broglan says the title is not due to the number of wizards in the 'team' but something else. Can you elaborate to what the title does refer to?

Are there any other (permanant) Wizards of War investigation teams active in the 1340-1370's or so and can you share any more team names?

After the events of Stormlight would the Sevensash's be rebuilt, or would the team name be retired to honour the memory of the five wizards who died in service to the crown?

Immerdusk Family: Is Storm the only member of this noble house? Am wondering if her son Casplar had any issue?

I am also trying to work out if Storm inherited the family name after it died out previously? Krash mentions two Immerdusk sons (the twins Arbruin and Erbruin ) in his Sleeping Sword piece located here circa 291DR or so, a few centuries before Storm became Marchioness Immerdusk?

Can you share any lore on the dragons (ghostly or otherwise) from Mount Glendaborr and/or about Glendaborr itself?

Thanks again Ed and THO for your time

Best to all

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  15:49:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Damian!
Off your excellent queries go to Ed, but in the meantime here are my preliminary blathering replies:
"How is Sevensash pronounced (seven-sash or sevens-ash? I suspect the former). In response to Dowager Summerstar asking about them, Broglan says the title is not due to the number of wizards in the 'team' but something else. Can you elaborate to what the title does refer to?"
It's definitely "Seven-sash," and the title refers to accomplishments; major successful missions completed superbly, I believe (Vangey awarded "sashes" as internal War Wizard awards; not many of them [so they garnered great respect from other War Wizards] and without a word to anyone outside the Wizards of War except Azoun, Filfaeril, and Alusair). Ed will elaborate.

"Are there any other (permanent) Wizards of War investigation teams active in the 1340-1370's or so and can you share any more team names?"
Yes, there were other "standing" teams, but I'll leave it to Ed to share what names he can. I know two of them, but they MIGHT be covered by NDAs.

"After the events of Stormlight would the Sevensash's be rebuilt, or would the team name be retired to honour the memory of the five wizards who died in service to the crown?"
Probably retired. All teams suffer losses (sometimes due to retirements or reassignments), and continue on, but after that sort of blowout, a "revuild" would in effect be a new team, and Vangey would always prefer new teams have their own names and not be trying to outdo, live up to, or "live down" the achievements of a previous namesake team.

"Immerdusk Family: Is Storm the only member of this noble house? Am wondering if her son Casplar had any issue?"
No, she's not. Yes, I THINK he did. Over to Ed.

"I am also trying to work out if Storm inherited the family name after it died out previously? Krash mentions two Immerdusk sons (the twins Arbruin and Erbruin ) in his Sleeping Sword piece located here circa 291DR or so, a few centuries before Storm became Marchioness Immerdusk?"
The Immerdusks have never been numerous or very high-profile. I THINK Storm either married into the title (in a union obviously not previously recorded in published Realmslore; I vaguely remember something Ed saying about her once wedding a dying widower so as to become the legal mother/guardian of his infant offspring, and Lord Immerdusk MIGHT be the guy) . . . or she was named to a family by elderly and infirm family members to prevent their name going extinct and their lands and holdings reverting to the Crown, to make her a thorn in the side of the reigning Obarskyr of the day (because I remember Ed mentioning something like this happening in the past, before the lifetimes of any of our Knights characters - - though what I'm remembering might not be Cormyr at all).
I'm not sure if Ed has ever discussed these tidbits with George Krashos, Eric Boyd, or Brian Cortijo; he tends to keep Storm-lore "quiet" so as to have a (more) free hand as to when and how to spring revelations on Realms scribes (usually in his novels).

There you go. The offering from me, using my notes and recollections. The proper replies to come, from Ed, time permitting.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Damian!
Off your excellent queries go to Ed, but in the meantime here are my preliminary blathering replies:

Thank you Lady Herald for the alacrity of your response, much appreciated

Another example of Ed squeezing in a little bit of lore, (Sevensashes) into a story that generates more than one question

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  20:49:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Red Slippers everywhere....

I don't want to re-remind Ed of my many map questions (since that would be breaking the rules ), but I do have a sort-of question in regards to an old map in a Dungeon Magazine adventure, featuring the coast of Cormyr. With a wee-bit of tweaking ('smooshing' North-to-South really, so that it matches the 3e map better in regards to 'The Neck'), I have managed to identify most of the locales depicted - but not named - on that map. If I provide a link to the two maps (which will expose which two villages are unknown), would Ed be wiling to name them? I would prefer for them to have official names before I place them (although both were burnt down, hence why they do not appear in the Volo's guides or on any 'current' maps). Let me know if that would be possible.
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Oh great Greenwood, a question for thee:

We know a lot of the strong, muscled people in the realms achieve their musculature through intense battle training or working the forge and other such things mostly. I was wondering if they do any resistance training like we do in the real world? Bench presses, barbell and dumbell curls, etc... is any of this done for muscle building?
Ancient Greeks - while training for the Olympics - would lift a newborn calf each day, presumably until it reach adulthood. Since it grows a little each day, the athletes would get progressively stronger, and legend has it that they were able to lift an adult bull by the end of the program.

Not precisely Realms-related, but still a pretty cool piece of trivia, weather its true or not. I can see people in a fantasy setting using similar methods.

Just don't use the stuff about female archers (Amazons) - Wonder Woman would have never been the same.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Feb 2011 20:50:56
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  21:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Thanks so much for the clarification! This will undoubtedly have an impact on game play in a very fun way.

Another set of question (and yes, I've tried to search for the answers before asking)...

Having read most of the published Realms novels, and all authored by Ed, I can't seem to find a source as to how Syluné became "The Witch of Shadowdale." Was this outlined in a magazine article or some other form of print that I missed?

Also: if NDA doesn't block the answer - did Ed create the Fugue Plain and/or is it a part of his personal campaign? It strikes me as an analogy for Purgatory, but I'd be interested in Ed's feedback. (I'd add the same question on the origins of Cynosure if I may)

Finally, is there a good source on speaking old English as Ed has many of his more aged characters do? Most of my sources have conflicting information oh which words should be replaced, and when. I'd love to know how Ed discerns how to phrase things Elminter says, for example. Unless WoTC has its own library on how to convert to old English, I'm hoping this isn't governed by an NDA.

Thanks yet again, all!

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:

Hi again, all.
A lore reply from Ed to Azuth, re. the questions that follow:

Azuth: "In Elminster in Hell it's made clear that Elminster will be cut off from the Weave and Mystra when he seals the portal between the two planes (Chapter 1 or prologue, I believe). Does this mean that all spellcasters are somewhat impotent beyond Faerūn? I just wonder how this works with the demiplane of Shadows (Malaugrym), et cetera. Conversely, would a Chosen or worshipper of Mystra have extra potency in her home in Nirvana?"

Ed: All spellcasters whose sole method of working magic is the Weave have lessened powers when "away from" Faerūn, yes. The precise lessening depends on the nature of where they are (astral, etc.). Demiplanes can be seen, in one sense, as echoes of, or very closely linked to, a given Prime Material Plane, so any lessening of magical ability, and changes in spell effects, will be minimal rather than great. In the case of the Realms, the demiplane of Shadows is closely linked to it, so most magic effective in the Realms will remain (almost as) effective in the home of the Malaugrym.
In theory, a Chosen or worshipper of Mystra would have extra potency in Nirvana, IF SHE WISHED THEM TO. Just how much "extra potency," and how it works, remains to be discovered (the hard way ;}).

Azuth: "It seems that Cynosure is an area that is connected to the Weave yet separate from the other planes. I just assume that there's some tendril of the Weave that reaches to it as Mystra has power there. It is implied in Crucible and Prince of Lies that Mystra can not only cut off other deities' power from the Weave, but that they maintain their powers on other planes. I'm just trying to reconcile this (if that's possible) with Elminster losing his powers when "cut off" from Faerūn. Is this because he's not a deity? Or linked to his status as a Chosen, perhaps? I know that non-Ed authors draw upon their own interpretations of how things work, but insight from Ed is always most appreciated."

Ed: Cynosure is connected to the Weave, but we don't clearly know or see just how, yet. Yes, your assumption about the reach of the Weave would indeed seem to be correct, because Mystra demonstrably does have power there.
Yes, Mystra can cut off access to the Weave, because in one sense she IS the Weave. Elminster is not a deity, and loses much when "cut off" from Faerūn. Mystra could reach him in, say, the Nine Hells, and fight for him, but as we saw in Elminster In Hell, she dared not use her full power in Hell (NOT because Asmodeus or anyone else could "prevent her" or punished her for doing so, but rather because to do so would have over-strained the Weave AND torn asunder the planar fabric, risking creating uncontrollable, ever-enlarging rifts that might have destroyed Faerūn and "leaked" the Nine Hells into adjacent planes. It was a matter of responsibility, of refraining from destroying everything just to get her own way in one thing).
El didn't lose his powers. He lost all the benefits of a direct connection to the Weave (like replenishing spells, conferring with Mystra, effortlessly calling on the aid of fellow Chosen, Mystra, Azuth, the servitors of those two deities, and using the Weave itself). He didn't lose his inherent Chosen abilities, the silver fire within him, and so on - - but realized right away, like a good Boy Scout, that he instantly had to start conserving what little he had left for when he might REALLY need it, and not reveal to any watching devil what powers (and importance) he did retain.

There you have it, from Ed himself. Realmslore, Realmslore, endless Realmslore . . .
love to all,
THO

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  22:29:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Another one for Ed (unless someone else know the answer already)

In the pre-Spellplague Realms (not that I'd mind it if the answer includes details about the post-Plague Realms as well, just trying to keep the question from being too broad), how close and frequent were the diplomatic ties between the Obarskyrs and Waterdeep?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 17 Feb 2011 22:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  22:39:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And another one! Which is fortunate since I forgot to thank Ed for the answer about Arabel. So. Thanks Ed, it was a nice little detail to hear about.

Ahem. On to the interrogation-scene.

If someone wanted to bring Mistshore, as depicted in the (very evocative and beautiful) novel by Jaleigh Johnson, into the Waterdeep of a little more than a century earlier, i. e. the 1350s-1360s DR, has Ed any suggestions for how that someone should alter the city's history?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  00:31:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Mr_M votes for a ban on quoting entire responses in new posts. We've read it once, must we read it all again?
I would support this, actually, but only with respect to the fact that quoting a question answered by Ed, that was asked on either the same page the question was answered, or the page just before, would be more applicable.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Feb 2011 00:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómė
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  03:13:38  Show Profile Send Aryalómė a Private Message
I have a small question fr Ed. Is there going to be any published material about the Star Elves anytime soon?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  15:37:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, dear. tradwitch1313, I'm afraid you've asked a question that neither Ed nor any other freelancer is allowed to answer, unless they've been given specific permission to "leak" something (which is rare indeed): reveal something about future publications.
In short, if Ed knew of any upcoming Star Elven lore, he wouldn't be free to tell you about it. That's what Non-Disclosure Agreements are all about. You know, NOT disclosing.
Sorry!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  15:44:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
However, I DO have a brief and speedy Realms lore response from Ed, to Kajehase, re. this: "If someone wanted to bring Mistshore, as depicted in the (very evocative and beautiful) novel by Jaleigh Johnson, into the Waterdeep of a little more than a century earlier, i. e. the 1350s-1360s DR, has Ed any suggestions for how that someone should alter the city's history?"
Ed replies:

Sure. Conjure up a pretext (perhaps an onshore storm preventing naval vessels from safely leaving the harbour when needed, with some ships sinking with loss of life when they try to get out) for the naval base in the inner harbor being relocated to outside Waterdeep completely, retaining only a lone wharf with duty vessels moored there inside the harbour. Couple that with a season of severe weather and a lot of Waterdhavian merchant vessels suffering minor damage (slowly leaking due to seams repeatedly opening, even after repairs, due to constant battering), so that a LOT of ships need repairs at the same time, or they'll go to the bottom. Too many ships for the drydocks to accomodate, so someone gets the idea of using the largely-vacant, most-sheltered-by-Mount-Waterdeep northernmost inner harbor to store these ships until they can get repaired. To keep them from sinking before that happens, they all get lashed together, and lashed to shore anchors. Then bring on an economic downtown . . . and you have the beginnings of Mistshore. :}

So there you have it, straight from Ed, the creator of Mistshore.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  16:20:31  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
Hi THO, could you ask Ed what unique military edicts or principles exist in the Realms? Maybe something equivalent to Sun-Tzu in our own reality? Ed knows me, and he knows my fondness for military lore and topics :) Oh, and tell him all of us say 'hello'!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  17:56:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Matt! Off your request goes to Ed.
I recall a LOT of sayings being tossed around by various tutors of our PCs, such as "Expect a foe to attack when you're least prepared!" and "Avoid war at all costs - - but be ready for it, always, at all costs." (This of course is all Ed, roleplaying these NPCs, and probably paraphrasing real-world military sayings, particularly the British ones that precede American ones by a century or more, such as the Realmsian saying: "Most of our battles are fought where our maps fail," which is a paraphrase of the British in Africa during the Zulu War: "Our forces always seem to engage the enemy in blinding weather, on a hillside, where two maps meet" [and I'm paraphrasing THAT from memory, too].)
So the Realms has its military wisdom, all right. I'll leave it to Ed to convey some of it to us all. Hopefully soon.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2011 :  18:02:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

I have a small question fr Ed. Is there going to be any published material about the Star Elves anytime soon?

Erik and I are going to work on that. Hopefully we can come up with a compelling Winning Races: Eladrin, Star Elves article for DDI. We'll keep yinz posted .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000