Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 -
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  00:14:23  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
-

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 01 Apr 2011 23:54:55

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  00:57:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash had some interesting tidbits to add back in late '08:-
quote:
The Lords Who Sleep ... ... I had at various times a Dragon/Dungeon article in the works for those fellows. But then Troy Denning decided to kill them all. Offstage. Finito. One of the less inspired decisions of the FR novel line IMO.

What follows is the beginnings of a Dragon article that I held onto for sentimental reasons.

“When Sitral’s brood pace the cobbles deep,
And great wyrms scour the twisted stones,
Ondeth’s blood will set the Lords Who Sleep
To slumber in Grolag’s bones.
For legions of fiends and the walking dead
Will bring ruin to this wooded land,
Unless those who should have been long dead
Array for battle and take stand.”

“The Foretellings”
Alaundo of Candlekeep
The Year of the Smiling Prophet (-58DR)

The realm of Cormyr has claimed the Stonelands, that area of trackless ravines and stone monoliths atop a rugged and imposing plateau north of the Storm Horns, for many centuries. Yet in all those long years Cormyr’s rule over the Stonelands has never exceeded the reach of a Purple Dragon’s blade. As the centuries have rolled on, various Cormyrean monarchs have awarded ambitious and successful adventurers the title “Baron of the Stonelands”, and charged them with building fortresses, fighting monsters and in truth holding the region for Cormyr. Such endeavors have met with limited success over the passing years however, due to the countless humanoids that infest the region and the vile machinations of the Zhentarim aimed at controlling overland trade routes throughout the Inner Sea. Yet the truth of Cormyr’s quest to rule the Stonelands lies in a secret known only to a few sages, the royal family of Cormyr and its High Wizard, and a shadowy group known as the Guardians. The secret relates to The Lords Who Sleep, great warriors placed in magical temporal stasis long ago to await the hour when the prophecy of the long-dead seer Alaundo would come to pass. As a matter of policy, the royal court of Cormyr refers to these stalwarts as “the Sleeping Sword”, so that most who overhear believe that an actual, magical sword is being spoken of.

History of The Sleeping Sword

The blood of House Obarskyr was fresh on the soil of Cormyr when King Keldroun succeeded his brothers Torst and Gordroun in the Year of the Waking Dreams (289 DR). King Torst and Gordroun had perished in flooded Marsember at the hands of Belorth “the Pretender” and his father, the pirate Kurrurdan, and Keldroun saw to it that Gordroun was crowned posthumously although he truly never ruled the Forest Kingdom.

Due to the suddenness with which Keldroun had the ruler’s mantle thrust upon him, the High Wizard Baerauble, along with the patriarchs of the Silver noble families, chose Aluth Greatgaunt to be the king’s constant companion and advisor. Aluth was a common born general who was blessed with great energy, foresight and an unshakeable loyalty to the Obarskyr line. He tempered the young king’s rashness and gently steered him toward a path of securing the realm against future harm.

The spread of great Anauroch in the half a century preceding the rule of King Keldroun, had seen the gradual disintegration of Hlundadim, the goblin nation north of the Storm Horns. The lapping sands of the Great Desert had brought this once mighty foe of Cormyr low, and many goblinkin fled into the High Moors, the Stonelands, and the northern fringes of Cormyr rather than face the brutal elements. King Keldroun led the Royal Host of Cormyr in hunting down the goblinkin raiders that plagued the northern settlements, and supported Melandrar Greatwyrm, an old battle companion of Aluth Greatgaunt’s, in his efforts to claim and hold the Stonelands for the kingdom as a first bulwark against the humanoid raiders. The “Stone Baron”, as Melandrar came to be known, led his mounted knights on many forays into the treacherous ravines of the Stonelands, slaying countless humanoids, and establishing the Stonebolt Trail, a crucial trade route connecting Cormyr with Myth Drannor. He also built a chain of hill forts west of the Stonebolt Trail to guard against the raids of the goblinkin that plagued the many trade caravans that now passed through the area.

Having brought stability to Cormyr, King Keldroun’s sense of satisfaction was deeply shaken by the counsel he received from Baerauble, High Wizard of Cormyr, in the Year of the Vintner’s Dagger (291 DR). The archmage brought to the king’s attention the passage from the prophecies of Alaundo that all scholars and sages agreed referred to the kingdom of Cormyr. Baerauble was sure that the time of Alaundo’s dread prophecy was nigh, pointing to submerged Marsember and the activities of Melandrar, the “great wyrm” of the prophecy, to support his belief. After taking counsel with Lord Greatgaunt, and being persuaded that his most loyal adviser was in firm agreement with the High Wizard, Keldroun had the Royal Sage Imindarth search the libraries and archives of the court for any reference to the mysterious “Grolag” of whom Alaundo spoke. Several days of feverish searching brought rewarding news when Imindarth discovered a reference to a goblin army of Hlundadim led by a chieftain named Grolag. King Moriann of Cormyr had defeated Grolag and his army in the Year of the Cold Enchanter (199 DR) in an area of the Stonelands known as the Needlespires for its countless, upward thrusting columns of stone. To the delight of King Keldroun, Baron Melandrar declared that he knew the site well, for it was a place avoided by the humanoids of the region, and used often by his men as a base camp.

Having unraveled the mystery of the reference to “Grolag’s bones” in the prophecy, the king’s closest advisors bent their wisdom toward deducing what the final lines of the prophecy meant. After more than a tenday of sometimes heated discussion the view of the High Wizard Baerauble prevailed that the phrase “those who should have been long dead” meant warriors magically preserved past their normal lifespans, rather than undead or the recipients of unreliable longevity magics. The task of selecting the warriors and constructing their place of rest fell to Lord Greatgaunt and he went about his work with the greatest possible secrecy and speed.

In the months that followed various well-known noble sons and some more notorious members of the nobility were recruited by Lord Greatgaunt to become The Lords Who Sleep. Having passed the rigorous magical probing of the High Wizard Baerauble, these worthies were whisked away by the High Wizard’s Art to the underground fastness that had been constructed beneath the Needlespires ...

That's about as far as I got before "Beyond the High Road" destroyed that little lore hook.

As an aside I can note that the creation of the Sleeping Sword led indirectly to the death of King Keldroun. The sudden disappearance of a host of younger noble sons sent rumours swirling that Keldroun was killing off various noble lines or kidnapping its members for his own evil, future plans. Nothing could have been further from the truth, but that didn't stop him being murdered by a group of allied nobles from the Turcassan, Immerdusk and Huntcrown families who saw the disappearance of their kin and younglings as a direct attack against their families' survival.

I recall from Ed's notes that Melandrar had a weredragon (song dragon) consort who was one of the Guardians like Emperel. Other notable members of the Sleeping Sword included Gelroth Turcassan "the Crimson Cavalier" (named such for his rose-hued platemail and his devotion to Sune), Andonia Huntcrown (a deadly warrior who many considered the best sword wielder, male or female, in the kingdom at that time) and the twins Arbruin and Erbruin Immerdusk (known as the "Bearblades" for their massive height and girth and proclivity to spout forth almost unintelligible warcries in the thick of battle).

I do recall that Brian mentioned to me a couple of years ago that he had "plans" for the Sleeping Sword and I remember that he had a 'play' with my rhyme above, but I'm not sure what happened to that project? Brian?

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  12:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage for re-posting this incredible piece of lore!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  00:46:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Troy Denning killed-off was what the Ghazneth thought were the 'Sleeping Sword', but who or what was really destroyed could have been either a 'red herring', or just a small group of lesser 'Lords Who Sleep', purposely left "less hidden" then the the 'true heroes' who would one day rise again.

Assume that the War Wizards told the monarchs where they were, knowing full well that a King could 'go bad' (which is precisely what happened), and would head right for the 'False lords' (who may have actually been the original ones, but other, more powerful ones were added later at other locations). Vangy (and other Mage Royals) made a point of their first duty being to CORMYR, and the monarchy second, so it makes perfect sense (IMHO) that they would have just such a red herring in case of such a scenario.

Only an idiot puts all their eggs in one basket, and the Mage Royals were NOT idiots. I think there is much going on in Cormyr that the royals are oblivious to, for their own protection, and that of the country.

That's not canon, but I think I have an inkling how Ed thinks, and I also know destroying such a juicy piece of lore "Offstage. Finito." (as Krash so eloquently put it) is disingenuous to nature of the setting. FR is not that fragile - its made of sterner stuff, and so is it's lore. If you use this loophole (based upon other canon facts we know), then it 'resets' the Lords Who Sleep to their original, mysterious condition (and perhaps even a bit more mysterious, since most folks now think them destroyed).

As for where they would be - anywhere within 'Greater Cormyr', but not near populated areas (all three swamps, Stone Lands, Goblin Marches, Deep within the king's Forest, the Tunlands, Mountain Ranges, perhaps even an island in the Dragonmere...). Hell, there could even be a group within the crypts deep below Castle Obarskyr.

EDIT: I just remembered there is an odd bit of lore (in the Stonelands supplement, IIRC) about a Cormyrian ranger seeking-out the lords to 'end the threat to Cormyr'. That piece of lore was obviously in error, but sometimes it takes a mistake to fix a mistake. If we make the assumption that the ranger was indeed looking for a group that could possibly poise a threat (rather then be Cormyr's saviors), then the next leap we must make is that there are at least two different groups of 'Lords Who Sleep'.

I'm not exactly sure how to spin it, but I'm thinking along the lines that the ranger in-question found some long-lost bit of lore concerning 'the False Lords', and drew his own (wrongful?) conclusions. That would not only fix Troy Denning's 'mistake', but also repair an odd-bit of erroneous lore in the process. In other words, the 'False lords' were precisely the ones the Ghazneths were meant to find.

Hope some of this proves useful - your mileage may vary.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2011 00:59:41
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  03:25:19  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that is an intriguing thought, Markustay, judging by Vangerdahast's actions and words in Elminster's Daughter, it was the true Lords Who Sleep that were destroyed; otherwise, he would not be so worried about Cormyr being unprotected in the future.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  14:52:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about that - excellent point.

The Mage Royal that preceded Vangerdehast is still alive (the name escapes me), and perhaps he has not yet revealed the 'deeper truth' to Vangy. Maybe Amedehast (sp?) set it up so that certain facts were only transferred to the next Mage Royal after the death of the current one (and the survival of that one hiding in Seros was something unforeseen even by Amedehast). Certain magics and knowledge are know to be triggered by a person's death (even in Buffy - one of the few episodes I was able to stomach had a second Slayer 'awakening' when Sarah Michelle Geller briefly died), and I wouldn't put it past Amedehast (and a couple of her predecessors) to have set things up this way, so that only one living person at a time would know the deepest 'state secrets'.

If someone would be kind enough to provide the name of that still-living former Mage Royal (from the Sea of Fallen Stars supplement) that would be great - I am still nowhere near any of my sources ATM. That's pretty much the only 'out' I can think of, and still have my theories above work.

If this does turn out to be the case, I'd love to see the look on Vangy's face when he realizes the situation he caused in Elminster's Daughter was all for naught. That is assuming the other Mage Royal died during the Plague years; an easy assumption to make, considering the devastation Seros must have undergone between the massive displacement of water and the arrival of the Aboleths.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  20:38:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good stuff folks.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  04:54:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I had forgotten about that - excellent point.

The Mage Royal that preceded Vangerdehast is still alive (the name escapes me), and perhaps he has not yet revealed the 'deeper truth' to Vangy. Maybe Amedehast (sp?) set it up so that certain facts were only transferred to the next Mage Royal after the death of the current one (and the survival of that one hiding in Seros was something unforeseen even by Amedehast). Certain magics and knowledge are know to be triggered by a person's death (even in Buffy - one of the few episodes I was able to stomach had a second Slayer 'awakening' when Sarah Michelle Geller briefly died), and I wouldn't put it past Amedehast (and a couple of her predecessors) to have set things up this way, so that only one living person at a time would know the deepest 'state secrets'.

If someone would be kind enough to provide the name of that still-living former Mage Royal (from the Sea of Fallen Stars supplement) that would be great - I am still nowhere near any of my sources ATM. That's pretty much the only 'out' I can think of, and still have my theories above work.

If this does turn out to be the case, I'd love to see the look on Vangy's face when he realizes the situation he caused in Elminster's Daughter was all for naught. That is assuming the other Mage Royal died during the Plague years; an easy assumption to make, considering the devastation Seros must have undergone between the massive displacement of water and the arrival of the Aboleths.

Jorunhast, who is now (as of the 1370s) a dukar in Myth Nantar.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  11:19:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Jorunhast is still around?!?

I think I just peed me pants.

Heh...this just gets better and better.

Yup, he's in the Sea of Fallen Stars supplement.

That's as of the 1360s, for that supplement, though. But since Cormyr's Mages Royal tend to last a while, he could easily be around in the 4E era.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000