Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Halls of Halaster (old lay I wrote years ago)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silverblade The Enchanter
Seeker

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  01:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Silverblade The Enchanter's Homepage Send Silverblade The Enchanter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
forgot I had done this! :)

Walking through halls of darkest stone,
Grey speckle dusted by ancient bone,
Here, Halaster Blackcloak calls his home.

In ancient Netheril he was born, or so claims some sagely tomes.
The Melairkyn dwarves, these halls were once the home,
Now the haunt of Mad Halaster, a place filled with dying groans.
With bright lights and spells, swords and glittering armour to their deaths in droves,
Like moths to the chests of lost gold, and eye burning hoards of gems piled in dazzling cones,
The heroes come calling, but they speak in soft tones,
For in Undermountain, life is your's merely on loan,
Beware lest you die alone!

Round corner you come on battle, eyes burned by flash of wizard's flame,
Warriors cleave chest, rend metal and slaughter in quest for fame,
And skulking thieves look for foe unaware, their heart's to eternal tame...
Called by their gods for hundred reasons, priests of the Realms know this no game,
For fail in precious, honoured quest, and their deities them will raging blame!

Some come for the tales of deeds done, battles won, no tale twice the same.
But things are done for less lofty aims, treachery as wicked as the drow's shame,
Unhallowed gods are praised, grizzly rites carried out to praise their name,
On shores of Sargauth River, underworld city of Skullport thrives from pirates' gain,
Where slaves are bought and sold, some for work, some for food, all in pain,
'Ware least in the glooms, vampires feast on your doom as vein wine they slowly drain,

Walking in silent ways, the mind flayers, gather here to feast on mortal's brains,
While beside them the dark elves, hunt, scheme, plot and maim.
Well this then, all lies beneath this inn's very fain!
Speak not of Halaster, and fear his name!

A tale engraved into the walls of the Yawning Portal Inn, and oft recited in the districts of Waterdeep

www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Spelljammer & Dark Sun art, and much more!

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  12:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  12:23:05  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful. Halaster needs more love
Go to Top of Page

Silverblade The Enchanter
Seeker

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  12:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Silverblade The Enchanter's Homepage Send Silverblade The Enchanter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alisttair, Elfinblade,
thanks!:)

and yeah Halaster's one of my fave characters ;) was wanting to make a neverwinter nights module about undermountian but, meh, didn't happen, sigh.
Absolutely HATED way they killed him off in late 3rd edition, refuse to accept that, grrr!

www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Spelljammer & Dark Sun art, and much more!
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  16:05:47  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silverblade The Enchanter

Absolutely HATED way they killed him off in late 3rd edition, refuse to accept that, grrr!

I second that notion my friend, and i know several others who found it rather odd, the way they did it off with him.

But hey, it's a shared world, with a lot of different opinions. I'm glad he gets mention at all to be honest. Even if it is in a adventure module, and not a novel.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  16:52:51  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this. Good point about one's life being on loan in Undermountain, though I think it ought to read "life is yours merely on loan" and not "life is your's merely on loan".

Largest known adventurers graveyard in all the Realms indeed! (insert evil laugh here)

Also, as far as I'm concerned Halaster is still very much alive. "Not In My Realms" FTW!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:38:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Also, as far as I'm concerned Halaster is still very much alive. "Not In My Realms" FTW!

Ditto that! Though, if I did include his death, I'd have him reborn as an amalgam betwixt himself and the Manshoon clone that was hanging out with him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:39:46  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Halaster is just too cool to get rid of in my campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:48:46  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ditto that! Though, if I did include his death, I'd have him reborn as an amalgam betwixt himself and the Manshoon clone that was hanging out with him.

Dude I cringed when I read that. A Halaster/Manshoon amalgam is….well, scary, a great idea, bad news for the world above (and not just Waterdeep; I’d label anything as being endangered—all the Princes of Shade, Larloch, Szass Tam, Daurgothoth the Black Doom…you name it!) and just really awesome.

Remaking Undermountain in Halaster/Manshoon’s image would be fun.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 07 Feb 2011 18:49:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:45:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Dude I cringed when I read that. A Halaster/Manshoon amalgam is….well, scary, a great idea, bad news for the world above (and not just Waterdeep; I’d label anything as being endangered—all the Princes of Shade, Larloch, Szass Tam, Daurgothoth the Black Doom…you name it!) and just really awesome.

Remaking Undermountain in Halaster/Manshoon’s image would be fun.

It's a concept Wooly and I have been both separately and jointly tinkering with here at Candlekeep over the last few years.

Ultimately, it remains a curious possibility. After all, Ed said that most of the Manshoon clones tend to follow the original Manshoon's example of having extensive fall-back plans and caches and strategies set in motion. Perhaps the Manshoon clone with Halaster had planned contingencies in place throughout Undermountain, should Halaster ever die or be destroyed.

Oh, and I previously dubbed this merger-entity to be Manster!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:53:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If some contamination from the Old Sage got into the mix, we could call him Elmanster.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  07:39:47  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Manster. Or was it Halashoon?
The Halaster-Manshoon merger idea is just mind boggling. How would it play out though? Which personality would be most prominent? My guess would be Halaster any day, seeing as he is way older and probably way more powerful in the art than Shoon, but it all boils down to whether or not they would be 'reborn' within Undermountain or not. If so, Shoon would probably have some overriding abilities.
Tremble Faerûn, for the slightly disturbing idea of Manster has been sown!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  12:17:34  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicely done...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000