Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  17:11:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Markustay, Ed's incommunicado for yesterday and today, but I recall that Kaalinth doesn't exist any more (so you're not "missing seeing it" on the maps). If I remember rightly, it's "drowned beneath the waves," but where and why I've forgotten.
Ed will elucidate, of course.
love,
THO

I think this has come up before. Another scribe was asking you/Ed about Kaalinth -- and Ed said that the "long-dead" description referred to more than just the wizard itself. A long-dead land, perhaps?

Anyways, it was when the Grand History PDF was still in circulation. I'll have to check.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  20:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
A followup question: in the Dales, would a "root cellar" usually be under a house, or dug into a hill nearby (that is, on its own, like an outhouse).
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  20:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lovely Lady THO,
A Realmslore question for Cormyr and the Dales (and Sembia and the Stonelands) circa "just before the Spellplague."
Are there any "popular heroes" known in this region, who are alive and active at this time (from Robin Hood types to mysterious-identity masked and costumed sorts)?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  20:18:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I've noted at least one Realm, along with many islands and locales (and a penninsula!) that have all been 'drowned' off the Swordcoast at some point, and methinks there was some MAJOR tidal-activity during the last millenia (I've noted some Tidal Waves mentioned in the GHotRs).

There is a mention of 'Global Warming' in the past few hundred years (Pelvuria 'released' Vassa), and a rotational-shift (Meteor strike?) in 1038 DR (mentioned in The Great Glacier).

One would assume the major climactic changes (it sounds like Toril was put under a mini-Ice Age for awhile) caused much havoc along the coasts, especially if I'm correct about that meteor strike. That would explain why so much 'went missing' in the past five hundred years or so out at sea. The flooding alone from the recent warming (Glacier melting) could account for many sea-level lands being drowned.

Does this sound about right, Ed?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Apr 2009 20:23:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  20:18:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmm. I THINK Jack o' Flames and the Knight of the Moon are both still alive, just to name two.
Ed will of course give us the definitive answer...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  20:26:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Moon Knight!

I LOVE that guy....

Anyhow, wouldn't the Knights of Myth Drannor all qualify?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  21:23:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
They would, of course, but I was actually not thinking of groups of adventurers at all . . . and it looks from her reply like our lovely Lady Hooded read my mind in that regard.
Ummm, she's WATCHING me, she understands me . . . what a surprisingly delicious thought.
Now, it would be creepy if the guy next door did that, but when it's The Hooded One, I just feel a delicious thrill.
So, please, yes, let's not include adventuring groups - - unless they really are "beloved by the people" for some reason (and of course please tell us what that reason is).
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  21:26:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmmm, I DID think from the wording of your question that you were interested just in loners (or the head of a small gang of faceless "merry men" whose names the public doesn't know).
Interesting; perhaps we ARE connected. Purrrr...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Thanks, Wooly. Yes, Volo's Dalelands. Must hunt up my copy and have another read, because my memory is obviously fading. Sigh.
On the other hand, I guess that means I can enjoy old my old Realms adventure modules all over again!!!!
Go to Top of Page

elfchild
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:26:18  Show Profile  Visit elfchild's Homepage Send elfchild a Private Message
Well met.

This isn't really a question for Ed, but I felt it important to post it here. Please forgive me if the moderators don't feel it appropriate.

I wanted to let the readers, the Hooded One, and Ed know that last week JamalloKreen passed away suddenly. He was an avid poster to this thread over the years, so I thought it only right that you all knew about it. I only found out a couple of hours ago.

Christian (his real name) was the DM for my game and he held Ed in the highest regard. He would show up at games with the newest bit of Realmslore - excited to weave it into his elaborate story. He would always tell us that he was trying to give us the feeling of playing in Ed Greenwood's home game. His game was singularly unique and sadly ends without conclusion.

So Hooded One, I do hope you can relay to Ed the thanks of myself and the other players in my campaign. These Forgotten Realms, and specifically the additional information Ed has generously supplied, made Christian feel like he was part of something really special. I know that while he is gone from the material plane, his spirit lives on in all of the players who had to pleasure to game with him.

Please forgive the fact that my first post here had to be so sad. Christian never wanted us to come here, lest we spoil any surprises he had in store for our characters. If any of you knew JamalloKreen well or have anything to say about him, I'll share anything sent to me with the rest of my group.

The world has lost a great sage, and the Realms have lost a great DM.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:48:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, elfchild.
I know Ed will be saddened to hear this (and probably feel a little guilty that he hadn't managed to get around to answering all of Christian's questions - - though he will, albeit too late), and I'm certainly sad.
J-K was indeed one of the posters we looked forward to hearing from, thanks to his zest, joie de vivre, and general lightheartedness.
He will be missed, and thanks for being his last herald.
Another voice stilled,
another light lost.
We are all left darker.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Aye.
To echo the words Ed said to me when last we met at a convention: "I've always known the Reaper knew where I lived, but he's been coming around the neighbourhood a bit too often, lately. I wish he'd go and busy himself taking more of the people who deserve to go, and spare the brighter lights amongst us."

Sigh.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:51:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Moon Knight!

I LOVE that guy....
He's in my Realms. As a servant of Khonshu, of the Mulhorandi pantheon.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:53:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and elfchild?
Please be welcome, and feel so, and join in this thread whenever you'd like. There's no need to avoid it now, for you or any of Christian's players.
We try to have a pleasant fireside; come and warm yourself, and share in the converse. It's better than being alone out there in the dark.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  01:00:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elfchild

I wanted to let the readers, the Hooded One, and Ed know that last week JamalloKreen passed away suddenly. He was an avid poster to this thread over the years, so I thought it only right that you all knew about it. I only found out a couple of hours ago.
What!?!

By Labelas, that's terrible. I counted Jamallo among one of my close friends here at Candlekeep. We chatted often about all kinds of topics, both through the public forum and by PM. I absolutely loved his elaboration on the subjects of Realmslore that he felt were interesting. And I sometimes came away with new ideas myself.

This is such a shock. He will indeed be sorely missed. Please, pass along my deepest thoughts and wishes to both his family and friends.

Today is a dark day.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  01:03:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ah man,

Indeed he will be. :(

Not sure what else to say.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  03:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
And I, too, counted Jamallo as one of those sages whose opinions and posts I held in high regard... I'm shocked to hear that he's passed away. My condolences, elfchild, for you did not only lose a fellow gamer but also a good friend who was (at least by my standards) a great guy and a well-respected poster here. I'd like to cite something from an eulogy I once read in Polyhedron (as well as I only remember it):

"We have words for those who've lost their husband, wife or parents, but when you lose a friend, all languages fall silent on that."

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  04:31:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Jamallo was a good guy, and a scribe I quite respected. It's a sadness to know he isn't with us any more.

My condolences to his friends and family.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  07:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I, too, greatly respected Christian. We had shared quite a few private messages on several diverse matters. He was always polite, knowledgeable, but most of all, open to the idea that his ideas might not be correct. I will miss him greatly, and his departure leaves us all deeper in the dark. Let us comfort ourselves with the knoweldge that he is in a better place.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Stranjer
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  07:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Stranjer's Homepage Send Stranjer a Private Message
OK... being pretty new to the forums, and still in the process of reading the "So Saith Ed" responses given by THO, this may have been mentioned already, so forgive me. The following questions have to do with an upcoming game, and decided it would probably be a safer solution to ask now, rather then read all the numerous previous responses and hope there is an answer there first.

1) The Red Knight is listed as having monks as worshipers, are there any monasteries devoted to her? Or, barring that, what monasteries have her as a worshiped god(but are devoted to a higher deity instead).

2) This seems like a dumb question, but ill ask anyway. One of my players wants to work into his monks back story that he is a noble, apparently he isn't too specific of where, any suggestions. I already told him that i won't be starting him out with loads of money, probably just with the same amount typically listed to monks.

And that's it, the rest I'd be pretty sure if it hasn't already been established, I could fairly easily adapt other things to... like towns, or names of BBEG NPCs. I don't think it would bother you overmuch, but i know at least one of my players would know my user name here... so don't want to give any details away.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  09:43:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elfchild

Aw, ****. What happened to him?

Mod Edit: Watch the language please.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Apr 2009 10:00:26
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  11:07:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
That's so sad, I'm sorry to hear this. He was one of the members whose opinions I most enjoyed reading.

There is nothing much I can say, except to give my condolences to those touched by his death.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  11:14:44  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
It really is such a sad thing to lose a friend. Please, pass along my condolences as well, if you would please.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  13:48:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Wow. That made me cry.

I guess my Realms will have a sage named Jamallo Kreen in it.

Rest in Piece Loremaster.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  13:59:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and elfchild?
Please be welcome, and feel so, and join in this thread whenever you'd like. There's no need to avoid it now, for you or any of Christian's players.
We try to have a pleasant fireside; come and warm yourself, and share in the converse. It's better than being alone out there in the dark.
love,
THO

Hear Hear!

Would be good to make new friends in these hallowed halls and celebrate the life of one monk who has left us.

Condolences to Christian's family and friends.

Best wishes

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  16:33:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all scribes. I bring you now these words from Ed:

elfchild,
Thanks very much for telling us all of Christian’s passing.
It has hit me harder than I’d thought, possibly because I’ve lost so many good friends and family these last few years.
If we are wise, in life, we make friends and cultivate them - - be there for them, share experiences with them, stand by them, live life with them. Roleplaying gaming is one way to do that, and it’s why I first played D&D in the Realms, and later shared the Realms with a wider world. It’s certainly not for the money; I’d have made far, far more if I’d done what my grandparents wanted, and become a doctor or a lawyer (both of which I’d probably have been very good at, as it happens). I did it to make friends, and share laughs with them. On one level, it still amazes me when people I’ve never met, from far away around the world, excitedly ask me about this or that detail of a character or place I’ve created, and I become aware of how much IT MATTERS TO THEM. Leaving me awed I did that, somehow.
I, too, will miss Christian’s jests and comments and queries; he was a welcome friend at my fire whenever he appeared. My loss is a trifle compared to yours, and to all who knew him personally and sat down to play D&D with him, yet it is a loss we all feel. I now really KNOW how grownups felt, when I was dragged (in my Sunday best) to small villages to attend funerals as a boy, and one adult would ask another, “How’s old XXX YYY?” and the reply would be a grim: “Remember how hard last winter was? Well, he didn’t make it.” I feel that grimness now.
May Jamallo Kreen be remembered here, may Christian be remembered everywhere. I WILL answer his outstanding questions, for the rest of us to hear the answers and to honour him and because he just might be able to read those responses, somewhere and somehow.
Scribes, let us raise glasses, now and when April rolls around in years to come: to Jammlo Kreen! We shall not forget.

So saith Ed. Who will turn to edappel’s Alan next, the moment he gets home (this post was sent to me as an e-mail from a public library terminal, in a spare few minutes Ed snatched during a long drive).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  19:09:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Aye, he was among the best. One who calmly weathered the storm of a new edition, rather then rail against it. He will be deeply missed here, even if we never got to meet him in person.

Damn... thats the second death I've heard about since yesterday... another poster's wife died.

It really sucks getting old - it's not my own passing I fear so much, but rather that of friends and family lost.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

He's in my Realms. As a servant of Khonshu, of the Mulhorandi pantheon.
Mine too.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Apr 2009 19:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  20:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Aye, he was among the best. One who calmly weathered the storm of a new edition, rather then rail against it. He will be deeply missed here, even if we never got to meet him in person.

Damn... thats the second death I've heard about since yesterday... another poster's wife died.

It really sucks getting old - it's not my own passing I fear so much, but rather that of friends and family lost.

Aye, Christian's passing will be deeply felt here in Candlekeep... I regret that I never got to meet him in person, and I'm sure -- based on his insightful ideas and answers here -- it would have been fun and a real privilege to play in his campaigns.

My fellow scribes and sages... would it be a bad idea, if each of us lit a candle, in private, to Jamallo's memory? I think that would be a nice way to honor a long-time poster and respected member of our community.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  20:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Here's something I've yearned to ask Ed about for some time now... it concerns the "sundries" shops in the Realms: are they what we would call second-hand shops, and do they buy (and sell) all kinds of stuff (e.g. cutlery, tools and clothes) or just "adventuring gear" (armor, weapons, scabbards, etc.)? Also, can you trade stuff there, i.e. a farmer brings in a used shovel and trades it into, say, a knife and a belt?

How about "allgoods" shops I've seen mentioned... are they equivalent to "general stores"? Or can you really buy/order, well, *all* sorts of stuff in them?

Thanks in advance!

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  20:50:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
My sincere condolences.
I didn't know Jamallo Kreen well, but it is always a sad day if a person in ones community passes on.
I believe that at least we are lucky that someone took the time to come online and told us of his passing, and to not let him dissapear anonymously into the void.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000