Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  06:11:02  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Blue,
I am very curious about this question, my thought is some think the feel pain due to their brains remembering pain, very curious indeed.

Want to know if my unread can shout " Banes balls that hurt, get him off me somebody!"

Awaiting reply from Creator.
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  13:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
Hello Ed. I usually check every year or two so I thought I would ask and see if Madeiron Sunderstone is still covered by an NDA. I was still hoping to get some more of his background story and how he came to be Piergeron's bodyguard and anything else you could share. Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  18:43:13  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Hello ED and THO... This might be a qeustion someone else could answer for me but here goes!

Was wondering the other day, what kind of metal would be used by the elves of old for their most precious jewelry? Im thinking back in the Crown Wars days and ofc also during the high Myth Drannor?

As for jewelry im thinking tiaras, necklases and the like.

Also any information about how precious elven jewelry would look like I would be most glad!

Thanks again for all the answers
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  18:50:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Nicolai, your question has been sent to Ed for his eventual lore-answer, but I can tell you one important fact about elven jewelry (because this has been discussed before, and Ed has provided much elven lore to the Realms and to the wider D&D game [and Pathfinder] over the years): almost ALL elven finery, sculpture, and even architecture is about smooth, flowing lines, like the roots of living trees, the way wind and water sculpt rock and beach sand, etc.
So almost all elven gems are cabochon-cut (smooth and rounded rather than faceted), and the bands and circlets of rings, tiaras, etc. will have flowing, rounded, smooth finishes rather than dagged points, squared corners, sharp edges, etc.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Feb 2011 18:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  19:05:28  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
Thats amazing... thanks alot.

Ill start looking for this lore, and wait in antizipation for a eventual answer from him!

Again thx

Go to Top of Page

braunusvald
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  20:32:29  Show Profile  Visit braunusvald's Homepage Send braunusvald a Private Message
Hello candlekeep, and all who keep these halls. Question for Master Greenwood concerning Ioun stones in the forgotten realms pre-spellplague.

Several articals have been written about the source of these items,
a) crafted by arcane caster.
b) found on the para-elemental plane of minerals and thier powers brought forth by carving and sculpting.

I was wondering which origin he viewed as the source of this form of magic for Faerun

Could a Kercpa swing a Rod of lordly Might? All hail the mighty rodent!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7963 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  21:28:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
An in-Realms explanation is given in Arcane Ages: Netheril, which describes the brilliant arcanist Congenio Ioun inventing Ioun Stones (originally known as Congenio's Pebbles) and devising at least 30 variants during his life.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  23:30:27  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Ed can you give us any of the slang terms for various types of afflictions throughout the ages? Let's say an adventurer back in days of Netheril had a journal that was discovered in 1300's and he is describing how member of his group was afflicted with Filth fever, what slayings did you come up with?

Were the current names given Filth fever, Devil's chills and Slimy doom created by adventurers in the first place?

What do healer's call these afflictions amongst each other and is it any different than what arcanist call afflictions. Basically could all three groups be in same room taalking about same affliction and all have different names for it or better yet not know what the other group is atlking about unless the symptoms are describe clearly?
Go to Top of Page

wakaman
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  23:34:19  Show Profile  Visit wakaman's Homepage Send wakaman a Private Message
Hi there!

I just wanted to 'bump' my mythallar question which was posted about a month ago (p4).

I was also hoping to inquire about the begging of creation of FR and the concept of 'raw magic' that the Weave is barrier to:

A. Were Shar and Selune the most ancient and original gods apart for Ao? what about gods such as The World Serpent, of which there is very little mention: where/how did it appear in the cosmos?

B. I understand that creation was made possible through the 'raw' stuff of the Astral Sea. Is it possible that this dangerous and volatile 'raw stuff' is the same stuff that Mystra's and Shar's Weave is a conduit to? (the explicit mention in Magic of Faerun is to 'raw magic'). This would mean that all beings, knowingly or unknowingly, draw on the stuff of creation when casting spells.

C. Shadow magic: In Tome of Magic, there is a class called the Shadowcaster. I was wondering how this Shadowcaster might fit in with FR: it honestly doesn't sound like it fits in with either Mystra's or Shar's Weave, and in fact suggests that they draw upon the more primordial energies that formed the universe directly. This distinction is important in terms of determining what happens in dead magic zones. Or perhaps they draw on the shadowplane directly?

D. Are planar powers and energies independent of Weave and Shadow Weave, and can these be tapped by PCs/NPCs?

Thank you!

wakaman.

Edited to pose a question.

Edited by - wakaman on 12 Feb 2011 23:49:26
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  00:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
My next questions for Ed:

In Elminster in Hell it's made clear that Elminster will be cut off from the Weave and Mystra when he seals the portal between the two planes (Chapter 1 or prologue, I believe). Does this mean that all spellcasters are somewhat impotent beyond Faerūn? I just wonder how this works with the demiplane of Shadows (Malaugrym), et cetera. Conversely, would a Chosen or worshipper of Mystra have extra potency in her home in Nirvana?

It seems that Cynosure is an area that is connected to the Weave yet separate from the other planes. I just assume that there's some tendril of the Weave that reaches to it as Mystra has power there. It is implied in Crucible and Prince of Lies that Mystra can not only cut off other dieties power from the Weave, but that they maintain their powers on other planes. I'm just trying to reconcile this (if that's possible) with Elmister losing his powers when "cut off" from Faerūn. Is this because he's not a diety? Or linked to his status as a Chosen, perhaps? I know that non-Ed authors draw upon their own interpretations of how things work, but insight from Ed is always most appreciated.

May all your spells go off as cast!

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  00:39:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wakaman

Hi there!

I just wanted to 'bump' my mythallar question which was posted about a month ago (p4).

I was also hoping to inquire about the begging of creation of FR and the concept of 'raw magic' that the Weave is barrier to:

A. Were Shar and Selune the most ancient and original gods apart for Ao? what about gods such as The World Serpent, of which there is very little mention: where/how did it appear in the cosmos?

B. I understand that creation was made possible through the 'raw' stuff of the Astral Sea. Is it possible that this dangerous and volatile 'raw stuff' is the same stuff that Mystra's and Shar's Weave is a conduit to? (the explicit mention in Magic of Faerun is to 'raw magic'). This would mean that all beings, knowingly or unknowingly, draw on the stuff of creation when casting spells.

C. Shadow magic: In Tome of Magic, there is a class called the Shadowcaster. I was wondering how this Shadowcaster might fit in with FR: it honestly doesn't sound like it fits in with either Mystra's or Shar's Weave, and in fact suggests that they draw upon the more primordial energies that formed the universe directly. This distinction is important in terms of determining what happens in dead magic zones. Or perhaps they draw on the shadowplane directly?

D. Are planar powers and energies independent of Weave and Shadow Weave, and can these be tapped by PCs/NPCs?

Thank you!

wakaman.

Edited to pose a question.

Not really necessary to "bump", point out attention to or rephrase questions waiting on an answer. It really won't help it be answered sooner and by further cluttering this scroll may in fact cause it to take longer.

I have seen questions answered in mere moments or as long as years.....it all depends on what Ed is working on, what's in the forefront off his thoughts and what he can get to quickly.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Feb 2011 00:41:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  00:47:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed.

Wakaman, the Red Walker has it right. Ed's technique of answering questions doesn't follow any kind of specific pattern. Nor does he forget previously asked questions from the past few days, to the past few years. The ever-vigilant Lady Herald of Realmslore -- The Hooded One -- provides a listing of questions asked and [undoubtedly] questions answered. So please, remain patient. Both Ed and the Lady Herald will get to your query in time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  03:49:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Azuth - Elminster has MUCH power thanks to Mystra (himself being a Chosen), ergo quite a bit of his power (probably the majority of it) is dependent upon her and her Weave.

HOWEVER, we know from D&D rules - mostly 2e when there were no less then 3 world-spanning super-settings (RL, SJ, & PS) - that mages can cast spells outside of their own sphere, despite the fact that each sphere has its own set of arcane rules in-place (very similar to the weave, in fact). So if one were to use the rules from Planescape, then a Mage traveling from Toril to Hell should have no discernible loss of power (not precisely true, but close enough for this argument).

But Elminster is a chosen, and MUCH of his power is dependent upon the Weave and his connection to it, the most important of which (in terms of that novel) is the healing properties of silver Fire, which he could not call upon.

Note that this limitation is NOT universal - some aspect of the Weave must be reachable from almost any prime world (Elminster was battling dragons - easily - on the Saurial homeworld in another novel). There are some Spelljammer rules we can fall back onto here - when in other spheres deities often extend a courtesy to the faithful of other like-minded deities, and since we know that most prime worlds also have their own interpretation of the Weave (the body of rules governing magic within that sphere), it makes some sense that other deities of magic give special attention to Mystra's chosen when present (it is canon, BTW, that Mystra is friends with Wee Jas of Greyhawk, so we even have a precedent), and would expect the same courtesy in return.

BUT a plane is NOT a prime world, and more-over Hell is the domain of Asmodeus, and a deity-level power holds COMPLETE sway within their personal domain (meaning Elminster is 'cut-off' from his normal 'bonuses'). Had Elminster been in perfect health, he still would have been able to make a good showing of himself, but having been completely drained (and then fiend-maimed) and not having any healing abilities (normally afforded him), he was in dire straights in that story. Note that the Simbul was still incredibly mighty when she stormed hell itself for her man, but without her own Chosen resources she too was soon drained of her reserves. It was Mystra's power El was missing there, NOT his own mortal-based magic.

And sorry for answering this if I am completely off-base. I am sure THO will be along shortly to say 'Aye' or 'Nay'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2011 03:50:34
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  04:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Whether you're right or not, your thoughts go along with what I was thinking. In all honesty, I'm still trying to ascertain how one would destroy the Weave, honestly. Not even a god (save perhaps Ao) could survive the unleashed power of its total destruction, and I'm still somewhat confused as to how any deities in Faerūn have power without the Weave. I've rambled on about this before, and I'm pretty sure it will remain NDA for the foreseeable future, but WoTC aren't known for smart decisions...

Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

@Azuth - Elminster has MUCH power thanks to Mystra (himself being a Chosen), ergo quite a bit of his power (probably the majority of it) is dependent upon her and her Weave.

HOWEVER, we know from D&D rules - mostly 2e when there were no less then 3 world-spanning super-settings (RL, SJ, & PS) - that mages can cast spells outside of their own sphere, despite the fact that each sphere has its own set of arcane rules in-place (very similar to the weave, in fact). So if one were to use the rules from Planescape, then a Mage traveling from Toril to Hell should have no discernible loss of power (not precisely true, but close enough for this argument).

But Elminster is a chosen, and MUCH of his power is dependent upon the Weave and his connection to it, the most important of which (in terms of that novel) is the healing properties of silver Fire, which he could not call upon.

Note that this limitation is NOT universal - some aspect of the Weave must be reachable from almost any prime world (Elminster was battling dragons - easily - on the Saurial homeworld in another novel). There are some Spelljammer rules we can fall back onto here - when in other spheres deities often extend a courtesy to the faithful of other like-minded deities, and since we know that most prime worlds also have their own interpretation of the Weave (the body of rules governing magic within that sphere), it makes some sense that other deities of magic give special attention to Mystra's chosen when present (it is canon, BTW, that Mystra is friends with Wee Jas of Greyhawk, so we even have a precedent), and would expect the same courtesy in return.

BUT a plane is NOT a prime world, and more-over Hell is the domain of Asmodeus, and a deity-level power holds COMPLETE sway within their personal domain (meaning Elminster is 'cut-off' from his normal 'bonuses'). Had Elminster been in perfect health, he still would have been able to make a good showing of himself, but having been completely drained (and then fiend-maimed) and not having any healing abilities (normally afforded him), he was in dire straights in that story. Note that the Simbul was still incredibly mighty when she stormed hell itself for her man, but without her own Chosen resources she too was soon drained of her reserves. It was Mystra's power El was missing there, NOT his own mortal-based magic.

And sorry for answering this if I am completely off-base. I am sure THO will be along shortly to say 'Aye' or 'Nay'.

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:16:25  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi Ed, LHO, and fellow scribes!

Regarding Markustay's comment about Elminster being unable to heal himself with silver fire while in Hell, I thought that Elminster could heal himself, but only did so in the most discreet way to avoid showing Nergal anything about his silver fire powers. It seems that Elminster was drawing on his personal reserve of silver fire, and would not be able to replenish himself as he normally could have, whilst imprisoned in Hell. Much of his silver fire reserve seemed devoted to mind-shielding himself and misdirecting Nergal who was continually riding his thoughts, and possibly even reaching out to others in Faerun via the "shared memories" that the reader sees.

Also, a cheerful thank-you to Markustay, for getting my mind working on the above comment, which led to my question for Ed below:

Have the Chosen of Mystra actively experimented on the silver fire that they are imbued with, such that each Chosen has one or more "special tricks" accomplished with silver fire that is pretty unique to them? Didn't Elminster draw on the silver fire to make a "spellfire campfire" for him and Storm? Or in Shadows of Doom, did Elminster draw on the silver fire to effect a "tenser's transformation" to help Sharantyr against some Zhents?
Similarly, in Stories of the Seven Sisters, it seemed that Dove used her silver fire and blood to enchant duplicates of magical blades from one single blade. It also appears that the Simbul knows how to ahem, "forcefully borrow" other Chosen's silver fire, doing so at the end of Elminster in Hell and the short story "Tears so White". Ed, I'd love to know if and how the other Chosen "twist" the silver fire, particularly Storm, Alvaerele, and Sammaster (before he fell).

Thanks Ed!
Go to Top of Page

wakaman
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:20:17  Show Profile  Visit wakaman's Homepage Send wakaman a Private Message
My apologies.

I was not aware of this fact and was merely trying to be helpful: I know I like to reminded of things.

I will not do so again, considering this new information.

Thank you,

wakaman.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  05:48:21  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Elminster used his fire a number of times and it appears his fire activated in his defense a few times he wasn't consciously using it as well while in Hell.

My other thought process is there are fail safes put in place so to make it very difficult for other beings to siphon the silver fire from a Chosen while on other planes.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  09:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
I was hoping Ed could provide some info about the Selzairs (Queen Filfaeril's parents, siblings or anything else)...?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  14:18:39  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth
Final question - egads, three! - for Ed. There is a character and a deity named Torm. Would it be common practice to name your child after a diety, and are there implications if you do? I can't imagine many people seeking to name their child "Loviatar" if that were the case, despite the fact that phonetically, it's a pleasant sound.

Thanks for the triple-header.

Lord of All Spells

This has been asked and answered in various variations before. 2004 and 2008 i'm sure about. I thought there was also one in 2009/2010 timeframe but could not find it with a quick search.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  21:44:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Elminster has other... assets... not normally encountered in either an archmage or a Chosen. There is some inkling of this by his ability to send 'memories' to others while in Hell. That had nothing to do with Mystra or magic, I'm thinking. He was calling upon far older (and oft-forgotten) abilities. Also, the very nature of his wounds would not allow him to concentrate enough to establish a better connection (since his 'other abilities' rely heavily upon willpower). It was the very precise nature of what happened to him that left him in the predicament - he was completely drained of both magic and Silver Fire (closing the rift), AND physically abused to a point most normal humans would have been driven completely insane by the pain.

Each Chosen also carries with them a small bit of Mystra's power, so that they CAN self-replenish themselves if need be, which is what eventually started happening there. I think the real secret Elminster was trying to keep is that each of Mystra's chosen is semi-divine, and THAT is the secret of Silver fire.

BTW, that fiend wasn't all that far from the truth the whole time, if you pay close attention to what memories kept stirring up. Elminster and Harry Potter aren't all that different, at the end of the day.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  22:06:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Aha! I KNEW Dumbledore was really El in disguise!!! *snickers and runs off*

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  22:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
There is a terrible joke in there somewhere.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  09:58:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate
I had always assumed that it was the 'sound' of the name, rather than the etymology. Tempus sounds like 'Tempest', which is what a battle looks like from far above, where the gods watch it.

Actually, this is my question: is it all about sounding, or there is a "hidden meaning", just as in the case of Arabel? And it's really interesting that you mentioned the similarity between Tempus and Tempest: in portuguese, "tempo" can be either "time" or "weather". And in the FR 2e box, there is a mention about the northmen of the Moonshaes worshipping "a stormy aspect of Tempus, god of war, through their own shamans".

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 14 Feb 2011 10:00:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  16:35:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
THO,

Is Sharantyr related closely or decended from Elminster?

I sense a looming nda(couldn't help but ask though!)
.....but it seems obvious that the old bird loves her way more than he does another passing aquaintance, and has very special, strong (and protective)feelings for her.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Feb 2011 16:35:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:37:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Red, you had to ask, yes?
So (sigh) I have to hold up the "NDA" sign in front of your nose.
Regretfully, I might add.
I know a LITTLE about Sharantyr's heritage, but the NDA governs me, of course, so I can't tell you what I'm dying to tell you.
Ed tells me I'd be aching even more to spill the beans if I knew a few more of them.
That doesn't help, does it?
No, didn't think so.
So here, have another heartfelt sigh.
I find myself in possession of a surplus of them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  21:35:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone.
Red, you had to ask, yes?
So (sigh) I have to hold up the "NDA" sign in front of your nose.
Regretfully, I might add.
I know a LITTLE about Sharantyr's heritage, but the NDA governs me, of course, so I can't tell you what I'm dying to tell you.
Ed tells me I'd be aching even more to spill the beans if I knew a few more of them.
That doesn't help, does it?
No, didn't think so.
So here, have another heartfelt sigh.
I find myself in possession of a surplus of them.
love,
THO

It helps a little, maybe hints at future importance....I don't have a preference as far as if she is or is not...so much as hope that a bit more of her story may yet unfold.
.....and it always brightens ones day to draw your gaze in their direction

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  14:46:22  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

Have the Chosen of Mystra actively experimented on the silver fire that they are imbued with, such that each Chosen has one or more "special tricks" accomplished with silver fire that is pretty unique to them? Didn't Elminster draw on the silver fire to make a "spellfire campfire" for him and Storm? Or in Shadows of Doom, did Elminster draw on the silver fire to effect a "tenser's transformation" to help Sharantyr against some Zhents?
Similarly, in Stories of the Seven Sisters, it seemed that Dove used her silver fire and blood to enchant duplicates of magical blades from one single blade. It also appears that the Simbul knows how to ahem, "forcefully borrow" other Chosen's silver fire, doing so at the end of Elminster in Hell and the short story "Tears so White". Ed, I'd love to know if and how the other Chosen "twist" the silver fire, particularly Storm, Alvaerele, and Sammaster (before he fell).

I believe Khelben was using it as "spackle" in Blackstaff, as well.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  02:16:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I guess my question disappeared into the Astral Plane.
Ed, when was the last time the Old Meddler nearly had
his timecard punched in a ono-on-one spelll duel?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  02:59:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed tells me his recent reading of a fragment from THE IRON ASSASSIN, his new steampunk tale, will be up on YouTube shortly (the Augusta House evening I believe Blueblade attended, and posted here about). A 36-minute-long, dimly-lit movie of Ed standing at a podium doing funny character voices, I've been told to warn you all.
He'll let me know when it's up for public viewing. He tells me that all three other readers (Leah Bobet, Michelle Sagara West, and Rob Sawyer) gave great readings, too . . . and Leah and Michelle both read from unfinished, not-yet-published novels, whereas Rob read a not-yet-published "prose poem" and some 'old favourite' sf short-short stories.

Great questions, scribes. Off they've gone to Ed. althen artren and wakaman (your new Weave and deities questions), I'm afraid I see some "NDA" replies in your new futures . . . but we'll wait to see how much Ed can weaseXXX slide pasXXX er, manage to provide you.
Barastir and Knight of the Gate, this, from Ed:

Hi! Knight of the Gate, you were right on when you posted: "Tempus sounds like 'Tempest', which is what a battle looks like from far above, where the gods watch it." That was indeed my thinking, and the derivation of the name.
However, I am sensitive to what words, names, and vocal sounds can mean in other languages (all astronomers know why "black holes" are called "hairy stars" in Russian), and TRY, to the extent of my limited and faulty linguistic grasp, to check on possible meanings/confusions/unintented meanings in other languages. In this case, I had come across what Barastir posted ("in Portuguese, "tempo" can be either "time" or "weather"" and this holds true, with variants, in other 'Romance languages,' too), picked up on the "storm of war" metaphor, and it strengthened my decision to use Tempus.
BTW, check out the Thieves World series; someone involved in that, back at the beginning, obviously thought along similar lines a few years later (after I'd come up with the gods for the Realms but before all that much about the world had been published). I THINK Andy Offut provided the gods for the TW setting, way back when (somewhere around my house, I have an original TW round-robin contributors' package, and there's a sheet of suggested gods in there), but my memory may be faulty on this.

So there you have it; the origins of Tempus the wargod of the Realms, from Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  03:19:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I guess my question disappeared into the Astral Plane.
Ed, when was the last time the Old Meddler nearly had
his timecard punched in a ono-on-one spelll duel?

*bangs head*

If your question was posted (that is if you can see it next time you read the scroll) then it has been received and will be answered as time and law permit.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000