Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  03:28:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question for ED.
Concerning the Netherscrolls?? do they still exist in 4E realms and do they still function somewhat like they used too??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  16:26:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
WHAM!
Ladies and gentlescribes,
the sound you just heard was sfdragon slamming full-tilt into a large, forbidding, utterly unyielding NDA.
(sorry, sfdragon. Ed would love to spill, but the rules of the game are...the rules of the game.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  18:57:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
did anyone get the license of the semi????

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  21:20:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
That HAD to hurt!!!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  00:15:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

did anyone get the license of the semi????

No but I saw one of it's bumper stickers. It said Cyric Loves You!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  00:18:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Was that a not-so-subtle reference to Marvel's Secret Invasion, Brim?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  03:46:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Was that a not-so-subtle reference to Marvel's Secret Invasion, Brim?

No not really, just messing around.

Plus I am back on my Cyric Rules kick on the WotC Forums.

So what am I missing Sage?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  05:14:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
not to derail this thread of questions to the Most Esteemed Ed Greenwood, but what does this marvel thing have to do with anything.

and for that matter, do you mean marvel comics?? if so, whata bout the super secret Disney invasion?????

and Brimstone, just who do you worship in Pathfinder??

and so now I end this post with a Question to the Most Esteemed Ed Greenwood.
which is your favorite deity in the pathfinder setting???

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  08:15:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Cyric.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  10:59:43  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

WHAM!

Coming from THO, I had actually expected a SPLUT.
Followed by a squelching, sucking sound, and sfdragon in a meek voice asking for a hot bath and a scrub down.

Btw, going with how magic items were generally affected by the spellplague, I'd speculate that the scrolls are still around. They may be of less import now, as the power they promise (as I understood it) seems with the disappearance of the Weave, now also achievable through diligent study.

Again, speculation, for now.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  11:58:50  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Ed's newest article is up: The Gentle Ghost of Silverymoon:

http://wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/20100216

An interesting being, though a DM has to provide his own background for her. (Oh, nice artwork!)

Edited by - gomez on 16 Feb 2010 12:00:11
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  13:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
I come with an odd question that may turn out to be just a typo or something really interesting.

My party will soon be at the Spires of the Morning in Waterdeep. So I decided I would look up some information on it. Sure enough Volo's Guide has some tidbits, one of which is the fact that there are eight linked spires. I hop over to Power of Faerun and it has a few more tidbits and also lists a spire count, only seven this time, its map only shows seven as well.

As far as I can tell comparing older maps to the one in Power of Faerun the missing spire would have been the one between the main spire and the northern most one.

Did something interesting become of this eighth spire between 2E and 3E? I hope I spotted something interesting.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 16 Feb 2010 15:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  18:01:48  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'm back from re-reading Cormyr: A Novel, with many more questions:
Baerauble refers to 'smuggling a Thayvian maiden'. Does Thayvian mean 'from Thay'? If so, what is the difference between it and the more common 'Thayan'?
What was the 'Redlance Rising' in which it is mentioned that the Marliirs took part in?
Can we learn more of Tesaara a lady-for-hire who was a pirate?
What are the Cursed Crowns, and who are the Sword Heralds mentioned as being in the royal vaults?
Is the mention of Amedahast keeping lots of cats supposed to be some joke regarding what's said of spinsters, or is there another reason she kept cats?
When the Elves return to Cormyr in 900 DR, we see Othorion Keove again. He sits on the right hand of a tripartite throne, the same place he was last time we saw him, in 26 DR. Why did he not sit in the center seat of the throne? Why were there no others beside him on the throne? Is there some significance to the shape of the throne?
It was mentioned that the symbol of the Purple Dragon was 'adopted officially' after the years of pirate exile. What was the official symbol until then, why did they change it, and why did the Purple Dragon remain unofficial for so long?
Is Darlutheene Amberhsields gay? She seems to have an interest in Blaerla's breasts during their conversation.
What are the High Heralds mentioned by Vangerdahast as ones who would delve with him into the lineage of bastard sons of Azoun, and are they connected to the Sword Heralds mentioned earlier?
A (hopefully) final question regarding Cormyr: What do you think keeps Cormyr as it is, and has made sure it had no truly bad kings? Is it the guidance of the High Mages? Their education? The tale told to them of the fight between Iliphar and Thauglor, and the lesson to be learned from it?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 16 Feb 2010 18:12:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  18:59:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Gelcur, you have INDEED! I'll leave it Ed to relate the tale, hopefully as soon as possible!
Menelvagor, superb questions , as usual. Let me just tackle your first and your last (Ed will do them too, and better): "Thayvian" has the same meaning as "Thayan," but is an older way of identifying something or someone of Thay. It's still heard today, especially among scholars and pedants, but "Thayan" has in recent centuries become far more popular.
And a short, simple reply to your last question is: Cormyr has survived and known longterm stability partially by having a fairly good (wise, pragmatic, "Cormyr first") ruling family, partly by having Royal Magicians who were VERY good (in various ways, some of them underhanded or ruthless) at keeping the kingdom strong, and partly the offsetting balance between nobles, Crown, commoners, and underground forces (like the Harpers, Elminster, certain adventuring bands, and some darker power groups, too [who see a benefit in having a land that is prosperous and fairly law-abiding and stable) who work to maintain that balance.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Feb 2010 02:59:33
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  19:11:48  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

(Big Snip)
What are the High Heralds mentioned by Vangerdahast as ones who would delve with him into the lineage of bastard sons of Azoun, and are they connected to the Sword Heralds mentioned earlier?
(Small Snip)

I'm not Ed, but I think I can help here: The Heralds (capital H) are a group which was once a part of the Harpers (till the late 1200's IIRC- the reference is PoF, but I am AFB) but which now operate independently, and the High Heralds are the leaders of that group- the Heralds are mainly concerned with seeing to it that every nobleman has a unique (within his own kingdom, at least) coat of arms, and that no one uses Royal Coats of Arms illegitimately. In the Heartlands (and many other places) the Heralds' word on the subject is final- i.e., if THEY don't recognize you as royalty, it's likely that no one will.
As far as the Sword Heralds, I have no idea, as very little has ever been revealed of the SH, other than that Khelben was once affiliated with them in some way, and that they created many extradimensional spaces (including the Silver Safehold used by the Moonstars).
If I got any of that wrong, I'm sure some scribe will correct my ramblings.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  21:25:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
that test of TEmpus; that started at the Abbey of the Sword, all the gates, are they still in use??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  03:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
As far as I can recall, the Redlance Rising was one of the many rebellions in which the conquered city of Marsember tried to regain independence from Cormyr.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  03:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi. I have something of a partial reply for Menelvagor (about what Alusair and her father Azoun fought over politics about, alluded to in CORMYR: A NOVEL, that Menelvagor asked about a page back).
I was once standing waiting for Ed to autograph one of my Realms books, that he'd written, after a con seminar, and someone asked about that very same thing. I had my trusty Sony tape recorder with me (this was back in the days before cellphones or for that matter the Internet, people), and got a bit of his reply. [[With his permission, of course.]]
Part of it was that Alusair (who "rode with" a lot of the younger male nobles, as their commander in patrols on the northern and northeastern borders of the kingdom, and as their lover, and got to trust them just as they learned to trust her [part of a deliberate strategy Azoun, Filfaeril, and Vangey all agreed to, to win the loyalty of the younger generation of nobles]) wanted the Crown (that is, her parents and Vangey as their mouthpiece) to be more candid, open, and honest with the nobles, instead of the King and Queen letting Vangey lie to them, manipulate them, and play them off against each other. Azoun didn't like everything Vangey did, by a long shot, but trusted him because of the training Vangey had given him in his rip-roaring youth (that we get just a tiny glimpse of, in Jeff and Ed's novel).
If this all sounds as disjointed as heck, it's because it came out of Ed's mouth this way, as he kept on doing verbal asides and putting on the character voices of Azoun and Alusair and Vangey (boy, I wish I'd had him as my DM; the guy makes all of these character we read about really come alive!).
There. My little bit. I await Ed setting me straight or expanding on this, of course.

Edited by - Baleful Avatar on 17 Feb 2010 03:23:56
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  05:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks a lot to everyone who answered my questions!
Knight of the Gate, I knew what the genral doings of the Heralds was. What interested me was their structure, the High Heralds themselves, and what stops a 'king/noble' who's just proclaimed himself from killing the Heralds who say he isn't really a king/noble?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  07:46:24  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered my questions!
Knight of the Gate, I knew what the genral doings of the Heralds was. What interested me was their structure, the High Heralds themselves, and what stops a 'king/noble' who's just proclaimed himself from killing the Heralds who say he isn't really a king/noble?

I'm not Ed either, but I can have a stab at this.

Well, he could, of course, but to what effect? First of all, he'd have to kill all of the Heralds, because they share the information among them. Hardly an easy feat, even less so since some of the High Heralds are powerful individuals, and their office has accumulated considerable defensive capabilities over the years.

Second of all, I see the Heralds as being a universally recognised "neutral" entity that is considered "off-limits" by all powers in the land, because they do serve the extremely useful purpose of keeping honest, neutral genealogies of all the noble and royal families. This desire to be seen as neutral is one of the main reasons why the Heralds split off from the Harpers, to avoid being seen as taking sides. In a society where legitimacy depends on birth and bloodlines, this is invaluable. This, to me, would mean that if an usurper noble or a king starts killing Heralds, and (s)he would be more or less declared fair game - becoming an "outlaw", to be killed on sight.

Third of all, there is the issue that once the Heralds provide an opinion on the legitimacy of a king/noble/usurper, the proverbial feline is out of the satchel - I would see a proclamation by a Herald as an cause of justification for any party to depose the usurper. The cause exists, regardless of whether the messenger is killed afterwards.

Perhaps Ed can provide his own take on the subject?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  16:07:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Menelvagor, superb questions , as usual. Let me just tackle your first and your last (Ed will do them too, and better): "Thayvian" has the same meaning as "Thayan," but is an older way of identifying something or someone of Thay. It's still heard today, especially among scholars and pedants, but "Thayan" has in recent centuries become far more popular.
Additionally, Menelvagor, I've performed some research on this myself. See this scroll for further details.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

shoubushi
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2010 :  18:07:50  Show Profile  Visit shoubushi's Homepage Send shoubushi a Private Message
To Ed and the Hooded One, I hope you are both enjoying the year so far and that the bad weather that has struck most of the country has not affected the two of you too badly.

I have two questions for the sage. The first of which I'm rather certain will be an NDA so I'm going to just ask it in it's most basic form. Is there anything in the works or planned for updating Myth Drannor to the new timeline in a way like the old sourcebooks?

The next question I have is a bit more complicated I think. Say a character follows an evil god/dess, Lolth for example. Later on, the character gets sick of the religion and wants to convert to say Corellon but can't really do so because they're in Drow society and such things are rather frowned upon to put it mildly. So death comes eventually and the character is stuck between two religions, Lolth which for all intents and purposes they betrayed and Corellon which they never were able to follow the tenets of. What would be this character's fate? Would they have been judged False? If not then would a different God of the Dead have judged them differently? Finally, what kind of punishment could the False expect under Jergal, Myrkul, and Kelemvor?

Thank you for your time and may you both have a good day.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  12:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by shoubushi
The next question I have is a bit more complicated I think. Say a character follows an evil god/dess, Lolth for example. Later on, the character gets sick of the religion and wants to convert to say Corellon but can't really do so because they're in Drow society and such things are rather frowned upon to put it mildly. So death comes eventually and the character is stuck between two religions, Lolth which for all intents and purposes they betrayed and Corellon which they never were able to follow the tenets of. What would be this character's fate? Would they have been judged False? If not then would a different God of the Dead have judged them differently? Finally, what kind of punishment could the False expect under Jergal, Myrkul, and Kelemvor?

I'm not Ed, but RAW (rules as written for 3.5e) would say they'd be either judged False to Lolth, or Faithless, as properly converting to Corellon would require them to have an Atonement spell cast upon them by a priest of Corellon. RAW, of course, only applies as far you as DM would want it to... There's plenty of precedent in the Realms of RAW not applying to certain unique individuals in certain unique situations. There's always wriggle room in the Realms! For example, Corellon himself, might intervene by appearing to that particular Drow in their dreams, because he has some task in mind for them that would take the place of the atonement spell. (If I'm recalling correctly, though, there's some kind of tit for tat arrangement between the gods of the Realms (enforced by Ao, in order to keep the balance), and Corellon intervening this way may well allow Lolth to retaliate in some similar measure, so the Drow in question is not likely to find the path to redemption easy.)

However, I think that if they were really keen to follow Corellon, they would have made an effort to return to the surface, find an amenable priest (not an easy task, given how the vast majority of surface Elves feel about Drow), and atone properly.

Now, I'll let Ed answer the rest of your question.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Atomo
Acolyte

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  15:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Atomo's Homepage Send Atomo a Private Message
A question for Ed:

How much you are able to talk about 4E Realms?

I am just afraid that, when Wizards pushed the "reset button", the company does not want you redefining every bit of the world. It seems to leave vague for the new players.

I hope that not all 4E are plain NDA for us.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  21:29:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Picked up Falconfar from the local Barnes & Noble today!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  22:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, one more question for the pile, concerning Cormyrean Adventuring charters (circa the reign of Azoun IV):

I can find mention of a 1,000 gp/year charter in Cormyr and Four from Cormyr which lists little information about the size of a such a group, compared with a more confusing footnote on page seven of Volo's Guide to Cormyr, which mentions a six-person headcount limit for the 1,000 gp charter, and three more charters (2,500gp/person for "a seven-day battle pass", 3,000gp/person for a tenday pass, or 25,000gp+ for a permanent charter) for larger groups.

Is there any more lore or an explanation concerning these passes for larger groups or the headcount limit of six? Thanks in advance.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2010 :  18:42:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Sorry for the brief silence. I was offline on assignment (in the great white howling majority of Canada where there's no electricity, let alone the Net), and Ed was enjoying the wedding of one of his nieces (a delight, he told me, despite the downtown Toronto locations of the church and the later reception at Steam Whistle Brewing). He promises me some lore replies over the next few days, as he plunges back into the hectic pace of everyday life.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Feb 2010 18:45:42
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  03:03:12  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message
*waves from Toronto*

I asked in one of the other topics some time ago, but perhaps chose the wrong place to do so.

I'm basically trying to figure out a) when Bast and Zandilar joined to become Sharess (at about the same time as the birth of Selvetarm) and b) when Sharess fell under the sway of Shar.

Can Ed or any of Candlekeep's lesser luminaries offer any insight on this?

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  12:05:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atomo

A question for Ed:

How much you are able to talk about 4E Realms?

I am just afraid that, when Wizards pushed the "reset button", the company does not want you redefining every bit of the world. It seems to leave vague for the new players.

I hope that not all 4E are plain NDA for us.

Interesting question. Apart from outright NDAs, which are going to be denser around the Realms-2008 timeline, I suspect Ed is trying to limit his answers to matters unlikely to be addressed one way or the other in novels or new web lore.

Questions to Ed about the 14th-century and earlier Realms are about a place he can tour in his head and either knows the answer already or can easily make it up on the spot. (One of the games here for us veterans is guessing which!) Answers about Wizards' 15th-century setting are coming from a very different place and I think they're rather more hypothetical -- Ed is implicitly saying 'these ideas I'm elaborating for you aren't mine, and in some cases I can't promise people at Wizards will think the same way, but here's how I might handle this if I was in this situation'. Personally, I'd address most Realms-2008 questions to Bruce Cordell, not Ed.

Edited by - Faraer on 22 Feb 2010 17:45:12
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  16:20:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. Sorry for the brief silence. I was offline on assignment (in the great white howling majority of Canada where there's no electricity, let alone the Net), and Ed was enjoying the wedding of one of his nieces (a delight, he told me, despite the downtown Toronto locations of the church and the later reception at Steam Whistle Brewing). He promises me some lore replies over the next few days, as he plunges back into the hectic pace of everyday life.
love to all,
THO

Well I am glad Ed's family obligations kept him busy during the hockey match then!

I just got my hands on Falconfar and plan on starting it later today.
Once again, the cover art is just great and really suits Ed's work.

Does Ed ever plan on revisiting the Falcon Kingdom after this novel?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Feb 2010 21:21:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000