Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  21:15:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Back on Page 4 of this thread, Asgetrion posted, in part: "...milady THO: could Ed perhaps give any heraldic information about the three Silver families (Huntsilver, Crownsilver and Truesilver), i.e. descriptions of their respective coats-of-arms? It would be really, really helpful for me, as these families play an important role in my Cormyr campaign. Thanks to you both in advance!"
Ed now makes reply, as follows:

Hi, Asgetrion. I'm afraid that thanks to a recent basement flood, I'm away from my detailed heraldry notes right now, which include full, formal blazons for some of the senior Cormyrean noble families, but let me describe the circa-1350s-1360s arms of those three families informally, from memory.
HUNTSILVER: shield of forest green, with a face-on wide and splendid rack of stag's antlers, in silver, centered right across the upper third of the shield. The point of the shield is crimson to denote blood, with the upper "edge" of this hue, where it meets the forest green, being an irregular spattering.
CROWNSILVER: shield of deep royal blue, with a slender silver border ("edge") all around, and a circle of six silver edge-on simple crowns in the center of the shield. The edge-on crowns are a side-view of a horizontal piece of brow-metal with an upper edge scalloped into five points: two flaring endpoints, a central point, and a point in between the center and each end point. (In other words, the crowns don't appear as circlets, or as having detailed ornamentation.)
TRUESILVER: shield of scarlet, with a slender purple border ("edge") all around. Diagonally across the shield from the lower left corner (hilt) to upper right (point) is a stylized silver sword: it has a small handgrip and quillons, an extremely wide blade like a chef's cleaver that is curved like a scimitar.
Note: All of the three families' arms have changed over time. Huntsilver used to have varying arrays of brown thorns and silver hoofprints in its field; Crownsilver has had a single large crown surrounded by a dozen tiny ones, later replaced by a regular pattern of twoscore tiny edge-on crowns, and still later superceded by the current arms; and Truesilver was formerly a shield of royal blue (without a border) displaying two diagonal lines, upper left to lower right, of three plain silver shields each. I can't recall the times of the changes right now, but they're all in the 1200s or earlier, not in the 1300-1350s range.
The simple badges of the three families are as follows: Huntsilver: silver rack of antlers on a forest green oval field. Crownsilver: a single silver edge-on crown on a royal blue oval field. Truesilver: a plain silver diagonal band, lower left to upper right, across a crimson oval field.
Hope this helps!

So there you have it: three noble blazons, from Ed. Essential Realmslore that should have been published long ago. I'll see if I can pry the arms of a handful more major families (like House Illance) out of him.
Wish me luck.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 Feb 2010 21:16:36
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  21:51:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Red Walker, Ed says "Yes." He's not sure if it'll be with Solaris, or if it'll be Rod Everlar again, or if he'll explore the lives of a certain roguish couple, one of whom is fat, male, and coarse, and one of whom is female and VERY thin. (Hint, hint.)
And just in case it needs to be said again:
No, Holdoncrop is NOT Hasbro (or Wizards, or TSR). Despite too many "critics" out on the Net who are somehow utterly certain it is.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  23:51:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I would love to read a novel about a certain fat male and his very thin gf.

I would really, really love to see a map of the Falconfar world.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  09:18:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
heraldic information about the three Silver families (Huntsilver, Crownsilver and Truesilver),

I'll see if I can pry the arms of a handful more major families (like House Illance) out of him.
Wish me luck.
love to all,
THO

Good Luck THO :)

As ever one answer leads to other questions :)
1) Why would the family change their device? (new patriach/matriach? marriage to another family? fashion/fad? promotion up the ranks?)
2) How different does the new design need to be to be allowed by the Heralds?
3) Do the family 'keep the rights' to the old design even if they will never use it again?
4) What happens if they/rogue family member do use a discarded design on a regular basis, what would the Heralds do? (Can families use an old design if they want to?)

Thanks Ed for the Lore, most appreciated and the Cormyr Thread updated

Take Care

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  15:44:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Red Walker, Ed says "Yes." He's not sure if it'll be with Solaris, or if it'll be Rod Everlar again, or if he'll explore the lives of a certain roguish couple, one of whom is fat, male, and coarse, and one of whom is female and VERY thin. (Hint, hint.)
And just in case it needs to be said again:
No, Holdoncrop is NOT Hasbro (or Wizards, or TSR). Despite too many "critics" out on the Net who are somehow utterly certain it is.
love,
THO

Who wouldn't want to read more about Gar and Isk?? Admitedly, I would, but anything in the Falcon Kingdom would be great!

And I think I asked about a map in last years scroll...and would still love to see one! Ed surely has 80 or 100 sheets lying around somewhere with a start?

And a final Falconfar query:

What are the differences between Greatfangs and Dragons?

From reading it seems Dragons are large enough to make the largest Greatfangs look small? And Greatfangs have no breath weapons? Do Dragons in Falconfar? Seems like Greatfangs are fairly rare, so Dragons would be how rare then?

Thanks!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 23 Feb 2010 15:56:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  21:12:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Red Walker, Ed will of course give a definitive answer, but from my discussions with him, I recall that Falconaar dragons are VERY large and very rare ("gone-legendary" to most people). Greatfangs have no breath weapons, hence their name (their teeth being their main weapons, with raking claws and bulk (tail smashes, crushing things they pounce on) being right behind.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  21:18:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Red Walker, Ed will of course give a definitive answer, but from my discussions with him, I recall that Falconaar dragons are VERY large and very rare ("gone-legendary" to most people). Greatfangs have no breath weapons, hence their name (their teeth being their main weapons, with raking claws and bulk (tail smashes, crushing things they pounce on) being right behind.
love,
THO

Thank you for the "quick hit" it should sate my curiousity....for a time (colors? intelligence levels(Greatfangs seem more beastlike maybe?) are just a few things gnawing at my mind!)

Edited by - The Red Walker on 23 Feb 2010 21:23:32
Go to Top of Page

draethe
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  05:29:41  Show Profile  Visit draethe's Homepage Send draethe a Private Message
I dont know if this has been discussed elsewhere but I was looking for upcoming realms novel titles in the book depository online store and found a title called "Elminster Ascending" due out in november. I had heard that "Elminster must die" was coming but not this one. Is this the next title in the series or something else?
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  13:02:12  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by draethe

I dont know if this has been discussed elsewhere but I was looking for upcoming realms novel titles in the book depository online store and found a title called "Elminster Ascending" due out in november. I had heard that "Elminster must die" was coming but not this one. Is this the next title in the series or something else?

Hey there,

"Elminster must die" is still slated for an August release. As for "Elminster Ascending" according to the WotC Fall catalog for 2010 it is a collection of the first three books in the series.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  15:08:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. I can confirm that Bakra is correct: ELMINSTER ASCENDING is an omnibus of the first three Elminster books (MAKING OF A MAGE, MYTH DRANNOR, and TEMPTATION), to replace THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER as a way of getting the older Elminster titles into readers' hands.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  15:24:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring this, from Ed, for The Red Walker:

Hi! Glad you've been enjoying the Falconfar books. I had a blast writing them (simpler romps than Realms fiction, start out at one level and then build it subtly deeper as the series goes on, the world gets its hooks into Rod Everlar, and the stories stops being mostly about him).
Greatfangs are bat-winged, scaled, reptilian-looking "dragons" (lookalikes for dragons, but mammals, rather than reptiles). They are about as intelligent as humans (i.e. they range from smart to rather less than smart), they have rending talons, formidable tail lashes (their tails are a bit long and sinuous for the word "slap" to be the best description of how they use them in battle), massive shoulders and necks (so they can head-ram, even in a power dive and against stone walls or mountainsides, and not break their necks), and their chief weapons are their jaws. They have no breath weapons nor magic, are omnivores (and often devour large schools of fish by "skimming" coastal ocean waters with lower jaws breaking the water surface), and vary in hue from tawny (young, and females) through cinammon-brown, russet, and reddish to (elders) gray and mottled gray-brown, though specific diets can lend other hues (greens and blues) to their scales. They can be trained and/or magically compelled to serve as steeds, but their taming is difficult and their breeding VERY rare and difficult to accomplish.
Falconaar dragons ARE reptiles, are larger and (now have become) much rarer, and have certain magics . . . and I'm keeping the rest of their lore secret for now, as I ponder possible future books set in the same world.
Yes, Garfist and Iskarra feature in those ponderings... ;}

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms and Falconfar (and Castlemourn and Embersea and a few more settings, too...)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Feb 2010 15:44:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  15:45:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I bring this, from Ed to crazedventurers' queries: "1) Why would the family change their device? (new patriach/matriach? marriage to another family? fashion/fad? promotion up the ranks?)
2) How different does the new design need to be to be allowed by the Heralds?
3) Do the family 'keep the rights' to the old design even if they will never use it again?
4) What happens if they/rogue family member do use a discarded design on a regular basis, what would the Heralds do? (Can families use an old design if they want to?)"
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian! Herewith, some replies:

1. Change is normally made to mark some important event in family history, that changed their status or self-image (example: member of minor nobility from the borders achieving an important Court position such as Warden or military command, or member of a noble family rescuing royalty or marrying into royalty). I'm not going to reveal they "whys" of the changes for these three "royal houses" because of NDAs relating to not-yet-published Cormyrean history (that I don't want to encumber or endanger the future publication of).

2. Any change to arms (except normal differencing for gender and family positions) must be approved by the Heralds. Unless deliberate intent to confuse was suspected, or confusion with the arms of others results (in the sober judgement of the Heralds, not in the mind of a rival noble or foe of the arms-altering family), such approval will never be denied. Changes in badges can be made freely (though Heralds will step in to ban if confusion with other badges results).

3. Yes, to avoid confusion, rights to the old arms remain with the family and can be reverted to (again, with permission of the Heralds, who want to avoid situations where individual members of a family use one blazon or another, and change them often for "fashion" reasons). A common reason for reversion is if a disgraced line of a family dies out, the survivors may revert to an old blazon to disassociate themselves from the disgraced ones. Branches of families who have specific legal and heraldic disputs with each other may end up, thanks to the judgements of Heralds, bearing different blazons, which may be "old" and "new" or variants thereof.

4. So, no, family members can't use old blazons on a whim or freely, and the user of a discarded or Herald-banned blazon will face: Court censure (rights of a noble temporarily withheld); "turnface" (they get ignored in meetings, not recognized to speak or replied to, and not allowed to speak in legal proceedings; even if present and shouting, they are treated as if they have "failed to appear"); Heralds order local heralds and their hired agents, and the authorities of a realm, to seize and burn documents, clothing, coach side-panels, banners, and other items bearing the "false" blazon.
Please note that these treatments are applied to those who defiantly continue to use false blazons, not to someone who does it once, in ingorance, and promptly complies with the demand of a Herald to "do off" (remove and surrender to the Herald, and cease using) the blazon.
Example: A Herald will let you scrape a false blazon off your coach panel if you agree to do so, not tear the panel off and depart with it. If you "forget" to remove it for longer than two sunsets after his order to remove it, he will attempt to remove the blazon, and if this is impossible or you try to prevent him, he'll return with an armed bodyguard to remove and bear away the offending panel.
Heh. hope this helps. These are long-established customs now; centuries ago, "defiances" were commonplace, but these days, most nobles would never DREAM of crossing or defying a Herald; to do so is "not noble," and brands YOU as unworthy.

So saith Ed. King of Arms for the Forgotten Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  15:49:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
I bring this, from Ed, for The Red Walker:

Hi! Glad you've been enjoying the Falconfar books. I had a blast writing them (simpler romps than Realms fiction, start out at one level and then build it subtly deeper as the series goes on the world gets its hooks into Rod Everlar, and the stories stops being mostly about him).
Greatfangs are bat-winged, scaled, reptilian-looking "dragons" (lookalikes for dragons, but mammals, rather than reptiles). They are about as intelligent as humans (i.e. they range from smart to rather less than smart), they have rending talons, formidable tail lashes (their tails are a bit long and sinuous for the word "slap" to be the best description of how they use them in battle), massive shoulders and necks (so they can head-ram, even in a power dive and against stone walls or mountainsides, and not break their necks), and their chief weapons are their jaws. They have no breath weapons nor magic, are omnivores (and often devour large schools of fish by "skimming" coastal ocean waters with lower jaws breaking the water surface), and vary in hue from tawny (young, and females) through cinammon-brown, russet, and reddish to (elders) gray and mottled gray-brown, though specific diets can lend other hues (greens and blues) to their scales. They can be trained and/or magically compelled to serve as steeds, but their taming is difficult and their breeding VERY rare and difficult to accomplish.
Falconaar dragons ARE reptiles, are larger and (now have become) much rarer, and have certain magics . . . and I'm keeping the rest of their lore secret for now, as I ponder possible future books set in the same world.
Yes, Garfist and Iskarra feature in those ponderings... ;}

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms and Falconfar (and Castlemourn and Embersea and a few more settings, too...)
love,
THO

Give Ed my warmest thanks. This was exactly what I wanted. Enough information to make the reading more enjoyable (and easier to visualize), while not spoiling any future possible fun.(Although I long to see a Dragon depicted as a nigh unstoppable force of nature not to be felled by a handful of adventurers, and I think Ed is just the man to do it. As it seems he is alluding to them in the few mentions.)

I am very glad to hear how much fun he had writing them, as this can only bump up the chances of further Falconaar projects.

Falconfar is shaping up to be my favorite of the Trilogy and that is a great thing when the last book lives up to the build-up! It is one of many reasons I enjoy Ed's work and have no fear jumping into a new world penned by him.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  16:16:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO
Ah yes..., Embersea.

Ed, that's long overdue for some further treatment and exposure, yes?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Feb 2010 16:17:23
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  21:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Back on Page 4 of this thread, Asgetrion posted, in part: "...milady THO: could Ed perhaps give any heraldic information about the three Silver families (Huntsilver, Crownsilver and Truesilver), i.e. descriptions of their respective coats-of-arms? It would be really, really helpful for me, as these families play an important role in my Cormyr campaign. Thanks to you both in advance!"
Ed now makes reply, as follows:

A million, million thanks to both of you!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2010 :  22:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed (and THO, of course!). I have two, unrelated questions that I thought I'd toss onto the pile. The first is about demihuman marriage customs. Dwarves Deep gives us some customs of the dwarves (ie: rings only if both dwarves worship Berronar), and of course we saw an actual human ceremony in Spellfire, but to my knowledge we haven't gotten similar treatment for other demihumans.

So, how do elves, gnomes, and halflings marry? Do they vary by region (ie: elves of Myth Drannor vs Eaerlann) or subrace? Are there differences between halflings in Lurien and their more scattered kin all over the north? What about gnomes (rock gnomes, primarily, but forest and svirfneblin as well, if possible)?

Second, and hopefully simpler, what would be a human version of "Well, it's not a resort town?" Like we might say, "Well, it's not the French Riviera, but it's not bad, either." Obviously this would probably differ by region, so I'll ask specifically about the Savage North, and the Dales/Cormyr/Sembia, though, of course, you're welcome to toss other areas in as well. :) I guess this would double as a "Where would people like to go to for a vacation?" query as well.

Many thanks for all your work, as usual. Also, I seem to have missed your Falconfar books completely; could you share the ISBN numbers so I could track them down? (Yes, I'm an archivist, and many of my friends are librarians... it's contagious :) ) Thanks!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  00:18:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Many thanks for all your work, as usual. Also, I seem to have missed your Falconfar books completely; could you share the ISBN numbers so I could track them down? (Yes, I'm an archivist, and many of my friends are librarians... it's contagious :) ) Thanks!

Dark Lord (Book 1) [1844165191]
Arch Wizard (Book 2) [184416764X]
Falconfar (Book 3) [1906735611]

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  01:29:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Why the protagonist in that series, never wrote down that he understood and could use magic I will never know.
He enters falconfar through a dream gate thus can alter his reality during his stay on a whim....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  02:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Thanks, Ashe! Now I know what I'll be reading next. And since we've apparently got more snow on the way here in DC, I may get to it sooner rather than later.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 25 Feb 2010 02:41:53
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  03:50:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

. . . And I bring this, from Ed to crazedventurers' queries: "1) Why would the family change their device? (new patriach/matriach? marriage to another family? fashion/fad? promotion up the ranks?)
<snip>
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian! Herewith, some replies:

1. Change is normally made to mark some important event in family history, that changed their status or self-image (example: member of minor nobility from the borders achieving an important Court position such as Warden or military command, or member of a noble family rescuing royalty or marrying into royalty). I'm not going to reveal they "whys" of the changes for these three "royal houses" because of NDAs relating to not-yet-published Cormyrean history (that I don't want to encumber or endanger the future publication of).
<chop>
So saith Ed. King of Arms for the Forgotten Realms.
love to all,
THO

Is said not-yet-published Cormyrean history the infamous Lineage that most (if not all) of the Keep's regulars are far too tired of hearing me prattle on about (and part of the reason for my greatly-reduced frequency of visits in the past two months)? I've been distracting myself with some real-world genealogy, charting the relationships between the royal families of Western Europe (focusing on the royals and nobles of the British Isles post-1066 to start, but about to encompass the French royal lines and the Saxon kings). I have several purposes for this project; one is alternate-history fiction and another is game-related, as I think I mentioned somewhere in my last visit to these halls.

I'll finish reading this scroll now, and check back in another month in hopes of learning of the publication of said lineage. Patience is far more easily acquired by distraction rather than by willpower... one of many great truths I have learned from cats.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  04:08:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

WHAM!
Ladies and gentlescribes,
the sound you just heard was sfdragon slamming full-tilt into a large, forbidding, utterly unyielding NDA.
(sorry, sfdragon. Ed would love to spill, but the rules of the game are...the rules of the game.)
love,
THO

Erm... weren't the Nether Scrolls (or, at least, the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar recreation thereof) destroyed in the mega-adventure-trilogy Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch? I never played through the trilogy, as my Realms had already taken a different path around the Spellplague and into the (early) 1400's. Or am I misremembering what I read?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  06:09:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

WHAM!
Ladies and gentlescribes,
the sound you just heard was sfdragon slamming full-tilt into a large, forbidding, utterly unyielding NDA.
(sorry, sfdragon. Ed would love to spill, but the rules of the game are...the rules of the game.)
love,
THO

Erm... weren't the Nether Scrolls (or, at least, the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar recreation thereof) destroyed in the mega-adventure-trilogy Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch? I never played through the trilogy, as my Realms had already taken a different path around the Spellplague and into the (early) 1400's. Or am I misremembering what I read?

They weren't destroyed. Spoiler: At the end of the last battle, the scrolls are saved and then scatter away to the far reaches of the Realms on a mystical wind...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  15:43:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hoondatha, I'm thinking Ashe gave you the paperback ISBN for ARCH WIZARD.
If you want hardcovers, the ISBN for DARK LORD is correct, and its ISBN-13 is:
978-1-84416-651-0
The ISBNs for ARCH WIZARD are: 1-84416-519-1 and 978-1-84416-519-3
All three books are under the Solaris imprint, distributed in North America by Simon & Schuster. For the first two titles, Solaris was owned by Black Library (the Warhammer folks), and for the third one, it is owned by Rebellion.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  15:51:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring these short tidbits from Ed:

Hi! Sage, Embersea is delayed for an indeterminate time (meaning: I have to have some chats at GenCon to see where, how, and when we'll eventually see it). Hang in there!

Jakk, in PART the lineage is the not-yet-published stuff I referred to, but there's more. No, I can't say more. Yet. :}

Hoondatha, most folk in the Sword Coast North would vacation in Neverwinter for quiet "bookish" pursuits or trysts they want to keep more private than otherwise, or in Silverymoon for more public revelry, "swinging," and everything else. Silverymoon is by FAR the most popular vacation destination in the region. Giving rise to the expressions: "Going to shine a little silver, aye?" and "Not quite shining silver, but 'twill do" and "As bright as shining silver, that was!" and so on.

So saith Ed. Purveyor of deft little Realmslore details for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  15:57:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello yet again, fellow scribes! Another little note from Ed:

Re. the discussions of Heralds and the Sword Heralds: the mysterious Sword Heralds are NOT Heralds, they just swiped the word "herald" for use in their name, to foster confusion and to claim a legitimacy they have no rightful claim to.
The Heralds, both High and local, are indeed the keepers of blazonry and genealogy Realms-wide, keeping order and therefore trust in the legitimacy of armigerous systems.
The Sword Heralds are . . . something else entirely. :}

So saith Ed, who hopes that in rightful time to come more will be revealed about this mysterious, sinister power group/cabal. Which is ALL he'll allow me to say about it, folks. (Dramatic organ chords)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  16:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
"All he'll allow me"? Ahem, dear Lady Hooded, if Ed is such a stalwart restrainer and authoritarian (trying not to delve into a vivid mental picture here) on the Sword Heralds, perhaps you can work on him re. spilling some teasing hints about ELMINSTER MUST DIE! for those of us scribes who think this August is a long, long way away.
So, can you cajole Ed into revealing SOMETHING?

BB

P.S. I have utter and abiding faith in your irresistable powers.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  16:25:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Do you? Ah, I love the taste of a challenge. Not to mention...other tastes.
I'll try, dear boy, I'll try...and we'll just have to see, won't we?
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Feb 2010 19:25:28
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  01:12:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. I bring these short tidbits from Ed:

<snip>

Jakk, in PART the lineage is the not-yet-published stuff I referred to, but there's more. No, I can't say more. Yet. :}

<snip>

So saith Ed. Purveyor of deft little Realmslore details for us all.
love,
THO

Such a tease... I'm hoping that the Lineage sees the light of day soon, and I'm very curious as to this other "not-yet-published stuff" now... oh well. While I wait, I'll put together a few more theories regarding those red pentagonal pyramids under Ascore. My latest one involves Larloch, but I'm not sure how, just yet, except that it just "feels right"... something to do with the idea that both the pyramids and Larloch are (at least rumoured to be) "binding agents" of a sort... okay, the Speculation Engine is in high gear now... I'm off to track down some obscure published lore.

Edit: Had to track down an obscure post by Wooly in Ed's 2008 scroll first:

quote:
Posted by Wooly Rupert - 01 Mar 2008 : 04:06:58

And though I can't think of any evidence to support it, it's not impossible that part of what Larloch is doing is containing something...

And Ed's response via THO:

quote:
On March 3, 2008 THO said:-
Hello, all!
<chop>
To Wooly Rupert: when you post sentences like this one: “And though I can't think of any evidence to support it, it's not impossible that part of what Larloch is doing is containing something...” be aware that you are (ahem) VERY perceptive.

Now, I know that Ed can't say anything more directly about this... or can you, Ed? It's been almost two years... but then, NDAs are immortal, so I won't get my hopes up...

My question is this: If Larloch was in fact containing something pre-Spellplague, and is no longer, was it in fact the Spellplague itself? Of course, Larloch post-Spellplague is a large solid wall of NDA, so I expect that the answer will be either "No" (if my speculations are completely off target) or "NDA"...

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Feb 2010 02:43:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  04:54:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Here's one question for Ed that I found floating in the ethers:-
quote:
Originally posted by Aalnyar

I recently had asked these questions of Elaine Cunningham but she directed me to this thread and said to post these questions to Ed Greenwood.

Good morning

I have many of the resource books and the only one that mentions a subject I am interested in was one you had part in the Elves of Evermeet. I was wondering if you may be able to give me more information or a way to find out more information on Elven House Korianthil; some of the things that I have been searching for will be listed below.

House Crest/Symbol
Did they have a House in the City of Song, or other spots in the Forgotten Realms
House Colors
Other famous family members besides those listed in the EoE
Were they of any significance Alliance (with other Houses)

Any aid along those lines would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  08:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
That's a great question, and I'm glad you found it, Sage. I actually have a PC that's a member of the Korianthil family that I started playing back when my Airforce friend came back from his time overseas this past December. I actually have another question I'd like to ask about Hose Korianthil if I may, please. I know from Elves of Evermeet that all members listed are moon elves, but are there any gold elves among the house members? All that it really says about the family is...

House Korianthil. House Korianthil is a
warrior house with many blade dancers and
war wizards. Its current leader is Hatharal
Korianthil, a war wizard with extensive experience
as a mercenary before the Retreat. Korianthil
family members are also known as beast
masters and trainers. Their horses, hunting
hawks, and dogs were considered the finest in
Faerűn until Korianthil moved to Evermeet.

Today, the family continues its practices, training
animals for the queen, other noble families,
and the army.

Also, when it mentions that they "are a warrior house with many blade dancers and war wizards," does blade dancer mean bladesinger? Thank you for your time, and I appreciate your taking time to answer our questions.

Oh, I wanted to also add that I was finally able to play through Haunted Halls of Eveningstar with my elven bladesinger PC from House Korianthil, and that I absolutely have had a wonderful time with the module thus far. I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) finishing it when he comes back in June if all goes well.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 26 Feb 2010 08:12:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000