Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2010 :  12:16:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Red Walker, Ed says "Yes." He's not sure if it'll be with Solaris, or if it'll be Rod Everlar again, or if he'll explore the lives of a certain roguish couple, one of whom is fat, male, and coarse, and one of whom is female and VERY thin. (Hint, hint.)
And just in case it needs to be said again:
No, Holdoncrop is NOT Hasbro (or Wizards, or TSR). Despite too many "critics" out on the Net who are somehow utterly certain it is.
love,
THO

Methinks said critics should try and count the number of monsters and evil wizards Ed has brought into the Realms.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  02:38:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Very good point, Kajehase.
Hi, fellow scribes. Well, I started to work my warmest wiles on Ed to try to get him to spill some lore or even hints regarding ELMINSTER MUST DIE!
Now, Ed is a veteran recipient of feminine wiles, mine included, and gets a twinkle in his eye rather than surrendering or being defeated all that quickly, so it looks like he's going to give us "the slow reveal."
The first pearl of lore he's let slip is this:

More than one character in the book has silver hair.

And the second is this:

Elminster appears in the book.

(That second one had me thanking him with heavy sarcasm, I must say.) When I pressed him for more, he just started smiling and humming. So bear with me, and let's see what else he lets slip, between now and August.
Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  03:38:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message

I would hope El will be in it!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  07:43:45  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Let the Epileptic Tree Planting begin!
On a completely random note, Happy Purim!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 28 Feb 2010 16:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  14:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I'm very interested in the Faerunian heraldry, especially the independent cities' crests, like Berdusk's, Iriaebor's, Elturel's, Silverymoon's, Everlund's, Scornubel's, Tantras' and so on. Could You shed some light on it?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  16:43:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Very good point, Kajehase.
Hi, fellow scribes. Well, I started to work my warmest wiles on Ed to try to get him to spill some lore or even hints regarding ELMINSTER MUST DIE!
Now, Ed is a veteran recipient of feminine wiles, mine included, and gets a twinkle in his eye rather than surrendering or being defeated all that quickly, so it looks like he's going to give us "the slow reveal."
The first pearl of lore he's let slip is this:

And the second is this:

Elminster appears in the book.

(That second one had me thanking him with heavy sarcasm, I must say.) When I pressed him for more, he just started smiling and humming. So bear with me, and let's see what else he lets slip, between now and August.
Sigh.
love to all,
THO

so you said before, when at least one of the seven sisters would make an appearance in the Ed's Next Book.

no fair, you cheated.....

atleast tell one more, if El's famous ever smoking pipe shows up in it......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  17:20:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message

quote:
Ed replies:
Hi, Damian! Herewith, some replies:
1. Change is normally made to mark some important event in family history, t

Thank you Ed for your quick response. I quite like the idea of a 'wet-behind-the-ears' adventuring band being commanded by a Herald to seize some noble's carriage doors as said noble tries to ride away :)

Interesting times to be had by all I think

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2010 :  08:48:07  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

What? Mirt grew silver hair?

*runs*
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2010 :  23:32:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. No need, gomez, no need.
Here's another pair of clues from Ed:

There's some sort of haunting in the book.

And:

There's more than one noble family mentioned that printed Realmslore hasn't seen before, but that have been in my original Realms since at least 1979, and one of which was in my original Realms turnover packages in 1986.

So saith Ed. Pretty general stuff so far, but it's early days yet, scribes; I'll keep working on him.
And I'm pretty good with my tongue.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2010 :  23:43:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed just amplified that first clue:

An active, verbal, ARMED sort of haunting.

Wooo-hooo!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  00:14:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Not to doubt you, my Lady, but I find it's best to confirm these things myself. So any time you wish to give a demonstration, I'm ready!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  00:41:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love to all,
THO

Not to doubt you, my Lady, but I find it's best to confirm these things myself. So any time you wish to give a demonstration, I'm ready!

Now Wooly, you know the rules. More senior Candlekeep scribes [guess who? ] are always first in line!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2010 00:54:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  05:10:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

love to all,
THO

Now Wooly, you know the rules. More senior Candlekeep scribes [guess who? ] are always first in line!

Yeah, but certain senior Candlekeep scribes can't get away from the gravitational pull of their own to-do lists!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  05:37:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Yeah, but certain senior Candlekeep scribes can't get away from the gravitational pull of their own to-do lists!
Fortunately, an anti-graviton gun is one of the primary projects on my famed to-do list.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  10:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear Ed,
I'm very interested in the Faerunian heraldry, especially the independent cities' crests, like Berdusk's, Iriaebor's, Elturel's, Silverymoon's, Everlund's, Scornubel's, Tantras' and so on. Could You shed some light on it?

Seconded! And I'll add Hill's Edge to that list!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 02 Mar 2010 10:53:35
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  15:59:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring a reply from Ed re. these city heraldry requests:

Hmm. Because of what's been submitted and accepted over the years, but not yet published, this list is a mindfield of NDAs. I'll try to impart what I can, though.
In general, city heraldry in the Realms is simple, so it can readily be used in badges (used on the doors of city offices and conveyances, the breasts and backs of surcoats worn by some city workers and officials, and so on).
As a result, civic blazons VERY rarely have mottoes or supporters; they tend to be a few charges on a shield.
Of the requested list, I can reveal this much:

Berdusk: black point (bottom) of shield with an upper edge drawn to suggest the silhouette skyline of the city (towers, many roofs, and two turreted and balconied tall buildings a little taller than the surrounding roofs). Above that, a dark purple sky, with a large silver harp (for the "look" of this instrument, see the 2nd Ed Harpers' logo) floating in the midst of it (the largest charge on the shield, and spang in the center of the shield) with a random (that is, forming no discernable pattern or "real-Realms" constellation) scattering of eleven stars (four large and seven small) above it, in a band across the top fifth of the shield.

Elturel: A sky-blue shield with a thick purple border all around. Extending up the center of the shield is a black castle tower, with a white arch-topped window centered in it just below its crenelated top (five merlons, which stand two-thirds up the shield in height).

Everlund: Same as Berdusk, except that the main charge is a thin crescent moon, points to the viewer's right (instead of a harp), the cityscape at the bottom is instead a black silhouette of the continuous random canopies of leafy trees, two conifer points amid a general deciduous mass, the dark sky is dark blue rather than dark purple, and the (wider, extending down on either side of the moon as well as above it) band of random stars are fourteen in all, seven large and seven small.

Scornubel: A dun/beige/tawny shield with a thin scarlet border all around. A vertical rich blue line bisects the shield, down its center, and on either side of it, in the lower third of the shield, are two black eight-spoke wagon wheels (seen side-on).

So saith Ed. Providing a glimpse of some city heraldry. More hints re. ELMINSTER MUST DIE! to come, I'm promised, too!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  16:09:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Aha! And here they are!

About ELMINSTER MUST DIE! Ed adds these:

A reader MIGHT 'see' someone chained in a pool.

And:

Wizards WILL hurl spells at each other in a face-to-face spell battle.

So saith Ed. Adding little tidbits like slowly-falling drops of water . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  18:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
So Scornubel's arms clearly depict caravans, and the city spanning the river (carrying wagon-trade across the water). Yes?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  18:47:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes.

Oh, and another ELMINSTER MUST DIE! tidbit from Ed:

Readers will see blue flames.
More than once, and moving.

Oooh. Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice said.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  19:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Something about Mystra perhaps....hmmm...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2010 :  20:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Sylune will return to 'haunt' Alassra who'll be frolicking in a pool, playing a 'game' with Elminster involving blue fire and chains, and some mage from a noble family will play Peeping-Tom until Alassra catches him and starts a spell battle with him!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 02 Mar 2010 20:44:05
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  00:16:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
so what happened to Elminster's eversmoking pipe during the spell plague??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  15:56:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Sorry, sfdragon, that's NDA. Though Ed added this:

You WON'T learn the fate of the pipe in ELMINSTER MUST DIE!

However, you WILL see a tentacle or two.

(Don't worry, scribes. I will get some proper Realmslore replies out of him, too. It's not going to be solid teasing for five-and-a-bit months. Promise.)

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  15:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Alisttair, when I read "blue flames" I didn't think Mystra. I thought Spellplague, or something left over from it.
C'mon, THO! More hints! More hints!
Scribes are an impatient lot, yes?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  16:01:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again. Blueblade, your command is my wish (wield that whip hard, will you?), and accordingly, these, from Ed:

You will briefly meet a rather formidable mother.

You will see undead.

. . . and that's all he imparted this time. Stay tuned!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  16:03:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Wooly? Sage?
You can share me, you know. There's enough of me . . .

love (yes, LOVE),
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  16:26:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
You should know me well enough by now, milady. I don't share with anybody.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  18:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

While researching for stuff to add to the Realmspeak list I have (perhaps foolhardily) decided to champion, I came across this little gem:
quote:
Realmslore: Broadcryers of Waterdeep, Part Four by Ed Greenwood

Like the "gilded broadsheets" of the rich and noble, the devout broadsheets tend to cost three nibs to a shard per issue.

My question is thus: is a "nib" a copper piece and a "shard" a silver?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  18:44:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Kyrene, you've got it exactly right: a nib is a copper piece and a shard is a silver piece, in Waterdeep throughout the 1300s (see under "Coinage" in the 3rd Edition FRCS baseline tome, and many earlier sources).

Oh, and I have another ELMINSTER MUST DIE! tease from Ed:

At least two iconic monsters from the earliest days of D&D appear, albeit briefly, and two more are referenced. (And I don't mean humans, elves, dwarves, etc., or undead.)

Boy, Ed's giving us some politico-speak. As in, saying much but really saying very little.
Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  18:53:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Mmmm.... Flumph-y

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000