Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  18:39:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I'm obviously neither Ed nor THO, but I dimly remember from GenCon discussions that Ed did the master map for Menzo and all of the text EXCEPT the material in one of the booklets (done by RAS and a co-writer), which probably was the House Retro. Ed, I'm sure, will remember.
As for the "replacement Lhaeo," I remember a GenCon seminar in which it was said (by Ed, with TSR/WotC staffers sitting right beside him who nodded rather than contradicting him), that it was a young female mage, on the run from something and nedding to hide just as the "first Lhaeo" had needed to hide, who stepped into impersonating Lhaeo, magically altering her appearance to do so.
Ed? THO?
BB

I'd love to know more about Lhaeo #2!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  20:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Me, too. I'm away from my books right now, so...what exactly was said in official TSR- and WotC-published Realmslore about the second Lhaeo? And where?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  23:27:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Tears of Selune.....

How many are habitable? And which would be large enough for a small community, mostly self sufficent?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  00:31:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Tears of Selune.....

How many are habitable? And which would be large enough for a small community, mostly self sufficent?

Steven Schend stuck the Rock of Bral in the Tears. And if you consult Realmspace, you'll find some notes on other inhabitable Tears.

I love Realmspace as a Spelljammer supplement, but I don't like a lot of the Toril, Selūne, and Tears lore in it, from a purely FR standpoint. A lot of it is just plain problematic, when viewed from an FR perspective.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  00:40:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Tears of Selune.....

Steven Schend stuck the Rock of Bral in the Tears. And if you consult Realmspace, you'll find some notes on other inhabitable Tears.
Yep. 'Twas in Lands of Intrigue, as I recall.
quote:
I love Realmspace as a Spelljammer supplement, but I don't like a lot of the Toril, Selūne, and Tears lore in it, from a purely FR standpoint. A lot of it is just plain problematic, when viewed from an FR perspective.
I'm inclined to agree. As it is, I utilise the Realmspace supplement more as a generic product for my SJ campaigns, than I do for Realms-specific SJ adventures.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  03:09:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. I just got word that GRANTS PASS, a post-apocalyptic anthology co-edited by Ed's CASTLEMOURN collaborator, Jennifer Brozek, that contains an Ed story, "A Perfect Night To Watch Detroit Burn," has been nominated for a Stoker Award.
(The Bram Stoker Award is the Oscar of the horror writing field.)
In other news, Ed is hard at work on a new Realmslore "eventual publication" tidbit for all of us, and promises me some lore replies this weekend.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  08:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, everyone. I just got word that GRANTS PASS, a post-apocalyptic anthology co-edited by Ed's CASTLEMOURN collaborator, Jennifer Brozek, that contains an Ed story, "A Perfect Night To Watch Detroit Burn," has been nominated for a Stoker Award.
(The Bram Stoker Award is the Oscar of the horror writing field.)

Ni-iii-ce! Here's holding thumbs/claws/tentacles...

On that topic, just how many awards has Ed won for his own work, or through collaborations, or through being published in anthologies or the like, in the past?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  15:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. I doubt he keeps count.
However, let me tot up the ones I can think of...I know this is an incomplete list, and I'm not including nominations (Like the Stoker and at least one Nebula nomination)...
GAMA Awards: two co-wins (meaning: others worked on the same product that won the award), plus election to the Hall of Fame (yes, you get a Callie trophy)
Gamer's Choice Awards: one win and four co-wins, I think...
Golden Goblin Award
Golden Gryphon Award (from a Canadian university)
ENNIEs: four co-wins, one of them a 101st share and one of them a (I think) eighth-share

...and a bunch of trophies from various wins in playing competition at gaming conventions, including a Best Player at the AD&D Open at GenCon in 1984 (I was there).
THO, I'm sure you can do better than this stumbling attempt of mine...
(hint hint)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  15:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hmm, the Origins Awards (GAMAs) won by Ed...he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2003, and that was the same year he got his eighth share (I'm away from my copy of the anthology right now, so I'm trusting you on the size of the share, Blueblade ) for the Book of Final Flesh (Eden Studios, James Lowder edited). His 101st share is a Silver Ennie for Hobby Games: The 100 Best (Green Ronin, James Lowder editing again). I'm not sure if you count Ed in on the various Pathfinder wins that incorporate little bits of his writing for them - - and I don't count products (like the 4th edition Monster Manual for D&D) that use Ed's monsters rewritten by someone else); if you count those in, I think you can add about 12 shares of awards, over the years...
LOL. I'm SURE Ed doesn't keep track of them!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  15:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
To avoid any confusion, I should point out that the Gamer's Choice awards Ed won were not the same Gamer's Choice awards that are now given out (the current ones started in 2000). The earlier ones were plaques, and I know Ed shared in wins by the FR Campaign Setting (aka "the old gray box") and Lords of Darkness (the very first product with that several-times-reused title). You could also argue that, as a Contributing Editor, he shared in wins by Polyhedron and multiple awards by Dragon magazine.
A lot of the early awards were given to publishers rather than writers or designers, even if the product that won was essentially the work of one person.
I KNOW Ed has two Callies in his possession, because I've seen a photo of him in a local Ontario newspaper that has them (a little out of focus) behind him, on a bookshelf. Yes, he's using them as bookends.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  16:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Well, he's missing the Callie from 1990 for FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES, because in those days the award went to the publisher. However, it's really a co-win for Ed and Jeff Grubb (Ed, after all, mapped and wrote all the cities, and the collective terms, and a lot of the spells, and some of the treasure, etc.).
However, from what little I know of Ed personally (mainly meeting him or hearing him speak at GenCons), I doubt he cares much about awards. Except to be happy when good games or the work of friends gets recognized. Like they say in Canada: "He's a Canadian, not a competitor."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  16:26:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'd say you put that rather well.
I doubt Ed values his awards other than as triggers for fond memories of working on the products, though I'm sure he's as flattered as any creator is, when people bestow a recognition of his work. I KNOW Ed doesn't participate in the sort of awards where you must submit your own work, to be considered (as Canada's Auroras became at one point, or the media tie-in writing awards are).
His most prized awards are a handwritten Realms short story given to him by a fan as the prize in a "win a story" con contest, and a replica of Elminster's staff (from the illustration of the staff on the cover of ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE) made by TSR when Jim Butler was at the helm of the Realms (I think it was Jim's idea, and he certainly had approval over it and must have been a driving force behind it), and presented to Ed at a Milwaukee GenCon by Ed's good friend Calye "Chainmail Girl" in full, er, chain-adorned undress.
Ed values the book of remembrances from friends assembled by Brian Cortijo (and Jeff Thetford, with contributions from many, many others) and spearheaded by Brian Cortijo, and presented to Ed at a surprise 50th birthday party at GenCon, over all else. "My most prized possession," he's described it as.
So far as I know, Ed has been nominated twice for Nebula awards, given for excellence in sf and fantasy writing by members of SFWA, but in neither case has made the "final ballot."
And yes, he does use his two Callies as bookends. One is a co-win for the 3rd Edition FR Campaign Guide, and the other is his Hall of Fame trophy (looks identical to a category winner Callie). Ed never received a trophy for his 1990 win for Forgotten Realms Adventures. And yes, he won or co-won about a dozen of those early Gamers' Choice awards, but only has one of the plaques (Jeff Grubb gave it to him). He also has a "Winning Team" member cup for that 1984 Open win, and a large wall plaque for Best Player - - which, as I recall from the stories, was handed to him wrapped in a protective swathing of disposable diapers (thankfully, not used ones !).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2010 21:46:12
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  20:06:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Having met Ed a few Cons ago....I think his reward is meeting people who love his creation and sharing with them. With all that he does for all that he does it for, selfless does not begin to describe the caliber of the man that is Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  22:17:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed, while reading a fine document put together by Snowblood (here on Candlekeep) I came to wonder:

What ever happened to the Ondonti-orcs that were captured by the Zhentarim and taken to the Citadel of the Raven? Related to that, what became of the Ondonti that were not captured?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2010 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

for the Book of Final Flesh (Eden Studios, James Lowder edited). His 101st share is a Silver Ennie for Hobby Games: The 100 Best (Green Ronin, James Lowder editing again).

Ed's been part of most of the award-winning projects I've edited: The Book of Final Flesh, Astounding Hero Tales, and Hobby Games: The 100 Best all won Origins Awards, and Hobby Games won a silver ENnie. Ed wrote original material for them all. The second Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons comic book trade paperback won the Origins Award last year for fiction, and that includes an adaptation of "Elminster at the Magefair," so I'd include him as part of that one, too.

We have high hopes for The Best of All Flesh, which came out in December from Elder Signs Press and contains a reprint of Ed's "One Last, Little Revenge," and Family Games: The 100 Best, which should be heading to the printer (finally) next week and to which Ed contributed an original essay.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  07:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Finally, my last two questions on The Sword Never Sleeps:
After Lorbryn goes off to help the Knights, warning Laspeera of the possibility that Vangey might be a traitor, what happened? It seems like Laspeera was protected from Vangeys' mind reading, and then dropped her shields, showing him what Lorbryn thought? What was the point of that?
Finally, when Alusair was storming angrily over Vangey sending Dauntless t help the Knights, why was he so shocked? Why didn't he just say "It was your Royal Parents' decision, I was personally against it, I do have to follow their orders, go blame them"?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  15:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
BEAST, I'm a little bit hazy on this and far from my battered copy of the boxed set right now, but I seem to recall from GenCon seminar discussions that Bob Salvatore wrote lore for this WITH SOMEONE ELSE (and of course provided the original layout for Menzo, that got "prettied up" by someone in TSR's mapping department into the one-page map supplied in the original paperbacks of Bob's novels, that Ed (for the Menzo set) then turned into a massive map (he's told the story before of ruining a bedspread because his Staedler drawing pen inks didn't dry fast enough to prevent "bleedthrough," as he drew 17" x 35" page after page of individual stalagmites, to lay out the entire city). Doug Niles also worked on the set, and I think the house symbols were Bob's, augmented by Ed (who filled in "the missing ones" and added some families so there'd be some named clans left after all the exterminations of families depicted in Bob's HOMELAND and the other books). Ed wrote the spells and magic items, drawing on the Gygaxian originals, created Ghaunadar (to "Realmsify" Gygax's "Elder Elemental God"), and wrote about the environs.
Again, this is just what I can recall, and my memories are fading because that seminar ended with a great informal "future plot possibilities" discussion among Ed, Bob, and some TSR designers that I and some other lucky fans were just standing there eavesdropping on, and memories of THAT overlaid everything else.
Ed? THO? (You're off on an assignment again, aren't you, THO? Talk to us! SPEAK!)
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  15:40:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I was, but I'm Baaaack!
Blueblade, I've frankly forgotten, so I'll have to pester Ed. As usual.

Thanks to Mr. Lowder for popping in to make that post. Ed loves to write for Jim not just because they're friends and Jim puts together such fun and intriguing anthologies that let Ed "play" in genres he doesn't visit often, but because Jim produces important book after important book. The two "100 Best" (Hobby Games and Family Games) are important reference works of the sort every library should have. They'll date, of course, as all such works do, but they provide unique snapshots of the words and something of the characters of great game designers, all collected together in one place at one time. I personally snap up all of the other Lowder anthologies, too, both the ones with subject matter I love (Astounding Hero Tales, the Arthurian ones) and those that don't kindle my reading fire as strongly (the "Flesh" zombie books), because Jim has the knack of teasing great stories out of writers for his collections. Now, any anthology is going to be uneven from the viewpoint of any one reader, but I've learned to expect - - without ever being disappointed - - two or more really fine tales in every Lowder anthology, plus another handful of very interesting ones.
I can only think it's the fields he toils in that have kept him from a lot of Hugo editing nominations, down the years. It certainly can't be quality of work.
Every gamer should be interested in the Paizo Lowder-edited anthology WORLDS OF THEIR OWN and the two 100 BEST books. Just as every Realms fan should read the often-overlooked Lowder novel CRUSADE - - which Ed often hands to librarians (along with HOMELAND and ELFSHADOW) who dismiss Realms books as "fantasy shlock," with the words, "Oh? Read these, and come back and tell me you still think that."
Heh. Must run now.
The upcoming Olympics have us all busy.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2010 :  22:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Now I'm re-reading Cormyr: A Novel (again), and already I've found a question:
When Thomdor and Bhereu discuss the 'Obarskyr traits', in the princesses, they mention that 'She [Alusair] and her father get into a flaming row about politics'. What did Alusair and Azoun quarrel over in politics? Did Alusair disagree with her fathers' policies? Which ones? And why?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  02:06:39  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Can Ed offer any examples of no-longer-existant knightly orders? Especially those either unaffiliated with a given religion, or only loosely so: Perhaps affiliated with a given kingdom or ideal?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 12 Feb 2010 02:08:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  04:04:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, Alusair and Azoun disagreed about LOTS of things. If you read James Lowder's novel CRUSADE, you'll get a book-length account of their often difficult relationship.
Some of the specific disagreements are still NDA, some are mentioned in CRUSADE and in the two Cormyr Saga novels after CORMYR, and some are alluded to in Ed's Realmslore web articles on the Wizards website; still others are hinted at in Ed's Knights trilogy. I think Ed has even touched on some of their disagreements in the 2004, 2005, and 2006 iterations of this thread (as have George Krashos and Brian Cortijo, here at the Keep in other forum discussions). More are mentioned in the still-unpublished Cormyr lineage.
Azoun, Filfaeril, Tanalasta, Alusair, Vangerdahast, and Laspeera all have very different STYLES of governing, in matters both large and small. Filfaeril and Laspeera are experts at smilingly manipulating others and putting up with these differences rather than having confrontations over them; Tanalasta, Vangey, and Azoun can all ignore or accept differences when they want to...but mostly, they don't want to.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Feb 2010 15:56:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  16:04:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Knight of the Gate, from memory and the notes I made during Realmsplay with Ed:

I can provide one defunct knightly order from the early 1300s DR: the Order of the One, who wanted to unify the city-states of Chessenta into one kingdom. They were few, undercover, never achieved much (they tried to slay certain city rulers and their [[regarded by Order members as unsuitable for rule, anywhere]] heirs, in duels or skirmishes during hunts, and managed a few severe woundings and one slaying), and were either slain, imprisoned, or hounded into exile, achieving more as an idea or symbol of resistance to bad rulers than anything else.
The descendants of some founders of the Order are or could be still alive, scattered across the Realms, with at least a few living in Chessenta and keeping their heritage VERY secret, so as to stay alive.

Ed, of course, will know of many more. Tethyr was a hotbed of small knightly orders formed to pursue rather idiosyncratic aims, as I recall...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  17:22:36  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Good stuff, THO! As always, thanks for the prompt reply, and that's JUST what I was looking for.
While I hold my question answered, I'm sure there would be no sadness if Ed *did* want to chime in with any of the historical orders he's written of.
Thanks again, Lady!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2010 :  19:43:23  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

BEAST, I'm a little bit hazy on this and far from my battered copy of the boxed set right now, but I seem to recall from GenCon seminar discussions that Bob Salvatore wrote lore for this WITH SOMEONE ELSE [...].

Yeah, the first and second books in the set are attributed. The second book, in particular, with all those juicy details on the various drow houses, credits Bob, Mike Leger, and Doug Niles, I believe.

But the third booklet, "The House Do'Urden Retrospective", just gives the title, without any credits. It's mostly a summary of the old Do'Urden characters, plus stats, and a review of the Drizzt Diaries up to that time. Also, there's a then-up-to-date profile of Drizzt, himself. Anyways, that's the one I was wondering about.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  06:16:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Now that Paizo is going to start a novel line, would Ed be interested in writing up some Golarionlore for it?

Maybe I should start a petition on the Paizo message baords to get Ed to write for them.(We need a dancing smilie.)

One is already going.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 13 Feb 2010 06:41:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  15:41:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Brimstone, Ed has just answered you at Loremaster. Yes, start that petition!
BEAST, my guess re. the lack of attribution on the third book is that although it was largely a compilation of Bob's already-published lore, much of the actual work may have been done by Eric Severson (Bob's editor at the time) working with Karen Boomgaarden (yes, two "a"s in her name, despite what appears on most TSR publications), who edited the boxed set. Ed may not remember (or have every fully known), but I'll ask him; I'm sure Karen will remember.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  18:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Two more questions from Cormyr: A Novel:
Both Iliphar and Alea refer to Myth Drannor - in -205 DR and -75 DR, long before the raising of the mythal and the 'Opening', in 261 DR. Is this a mistake, or was Comanthyr named Myth Drannor before the mythal?
Alusair is referred to as the 'Mithril Princess of Cormyr'. Is there any meaning to this, or the fact that she was 'Steel Regent'? Is there a meaning to the inclusion of metals in titles in Cormyr, and if so, what is it?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  19:44:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Menelvagor, I'll leave your questions about Alusair's titles to Ed to answer, because it's a little complicated. but as for Myth Drannor: the term was around, as a CONCEPT of glory to come, and therefore as a term of endearment for the city among many elves - - and a "safe" nickname that could readily be used in front of non-elves.
(In the same way as some New Yorkers refer to their city as "the Big Apple.")
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  23:17:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Brimstone, Ed has just answered you at Loremaster. Yes, start that petition!
love,
THO

I see!

quote:
Heh. Not only willing to write Pathfinder - - I already do. (Elves for the "base" rulebook, some River Kingdoms lore and monsters; oh, yes, I've been a busy boy.)
As for novels, we'll see. I'd love to, but there's this little matter of time (as in, carving out enough). And coming to an agreement, which for my novels would be handled by my agent, Andy Zack. Frankly, I'd like nothing more than to write a long string of New York Times-bestselling fantasy classics set in Golarion...but we'll just have to see.
If you want to see something like that, please let the good folks at Paizo know. Really.
I'll be standing by, eagerly.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 13 Feb 2010 23:27:04
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  02:57:32  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
quote:

BEAST, my guess re. the lack of attribution on the third book is that although it was largely a compilation of Bob's already-published lore, much of the actual work may have been done by Eric Severson (Bob's editor at the time) working with Karen Boomgaarden (yes, two "a"s in her name, despite what appears on most TSR publications), who edited the boxed set. Ed may not remember (or have every fully known), but I'll ask him; I'm sure Karen will remember.

Makes sense. Grazzi!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000