Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dave Arneson hospitalized
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  13:53:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've only seen blog and forum posts (like here) regarding a downturn in Mr. Arneson's cancer battle, so take this with a grain of salt until we can corroborate the story.

quote:

David's cancer has unexpectedly worsened just this week, to the point that he is in the hospital. He is heavily sedated and not doing well. He is not expected to live for more than a couple days, if that long.

The family is requesting that no one try to visit or send anything to him.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  13:58:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:04:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More bad news. Unfortunately it seems like there is little reason to doubt the information.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man I hate Cancer. My fiancee and I have both lost loved ones to it. Here's hoping Mr.Arneson fights it off as best he can.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:02:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Man I hate Cancer. My fiancee and I have both lost loved ones to it. Here's hoping Mr.Arneson fights it off as best he can.

I lost my grandmother to cancer, and a dear friend of mine recently died of breast cancer -- just shy of her 34th birthday.

It sucks that we're losing another of the original guys.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2009 16:02:49
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, tough news. My thoughts are with him.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:20:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It sucks that we're losing another of the original guys.

Indeed. Another of the "legendary First Ones." The world will no doubt seem just a little darker when they all gone.

It's up to the rest of us to carry their flames forward.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:26:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn... the 'Blackmoor man' is leaving us as well...

The co-creator of the hobby that has brought us all such joy.

Tis another sad day... seems to be an unsettling trend of late.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  18:01:12  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's sad that he looks like he is passing over. However, we all die in the end. What matters is that you do something with your life (if you can) whilst you're here.

Dave Arneson (like Gary Gygax) has created something that made millions of people happy. His actions will be remembered as will his name.

My grandmother died last year. I miss her but I wasn't sad at her passing. "I've lived a good life and I've enjoyed it," she said. Something to aspire too.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  12:33:24  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, another empty chair?

First Gary, then my Dad (just before Christmas & also from cancer) & now DA?

Soon i wont have any heros left!

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  19:13:50  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my condolences
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:17:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

From what I have seen several places (the Piazza, Dragonsfoot, Gronardia)it seems like Dave Arneson has passed away. I don't think its been officially confirmed though.

Rest in peace Dave.

Edited by - Jorkens on 07 Apr 2009 21:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:41:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's wait for official word. I've seen a lot of 'doom-saying' on the various threads since the news first came out and rather wait for word from his family.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  23:47:29  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also sad to hear of this, so I went looking for us... http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/07/dandd-co-creator-dave-arneson-has-died/

I'm just glad that he's still with us. I wish him all of the best.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 07 Apr 2009 23:48:19
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  23:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I hate this kind of stuff. I obviously don't know Mr. Arneson personally but his work has had a tremendous and positive impact on my life, as it has on everybody's here. And I just visited my 93 year old grandmother this weekend--she was having a good day, thank God.

This stuff gets so complicated and trying with "quality of life" issues and conflicting needs and wants warring with one another. I just hope Dave Arneson and his loved ones are receiving excellent care and have better-than-adequate emotional, spiritual and (alas, it's an issue in our culture and country) financial resources to draw on right now. It seems a little ghoulish looking in from the outside like this, but that's always the way with somebody whose life and work is big enough to touch the wider world. Even though the very best may seem a dismal prospect, I wish it for them nonetheless.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  23:58:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its now been confirmed by his daughter that he has passed on. :(

Originally Posted by Rainsford
I heard rumors he was hospitalized yesterday (or late the day before) and further rumors of his passing. I just got a confirmation from an industry veteran:

"It is now confirmed. Dave's daughter Malia called me a few minutes ago to tell me that Dave passed away last night in the company of his family.

There will be a memorial at the funeral home April 20th, and a service at the church April 21st. Anyone who feels inspired to come is welcome. Flowers can be sent to the funeral home:
Bradshaw, 678 Snelling Ave South, St Paul, MN 55116

Details on which charity you could donate to in his name, will be forthcoming from the relatives shortly."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Apr 2009 00:00:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  00:03:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today is indeed, a dark day.

Rest well and in peace Dave. You're now embarking on your greatest adventure yet.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  02:04:19  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take care, Mr. Arneson. You and Mr. Gygax introduced us all to amazing worlds, and tales of adventure that sparked creativity in our hearts and allowed us to live out some our childhood adventures and fantasies. I dedicate this coming weekend's session to the memories of you both.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 09 Apr 2009 02:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  03:33:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleep well, sweet prince.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Apr 2009 03:33:52
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  03:39:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to try and make it to the memorial service if it's open to the public. Kuje, can you let me know the details when they're available? You can reach me through here. PM me if you need my email address.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  04:10:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rest in Peace, Dave. Thank you for the memories.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  04:15:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I am going to try and make it to the memorial service if it's open to the public. Kuje, can you let me know the details when they're available? You can reach me through here. PM me if you need my email address.

Will do if I see any posts on ENworld, which is where I pulled that earlier post from.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  08:49:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rest in Peace, Dave.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  11:27:49  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You helped create my favourite hobby; you helped create many lives, thank you. You will be missed
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  14:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So passeth another of the Giants among us...

Rest in Peace, Dave! May the Dice Gods be gentle on your soul!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  16:30:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh... Memories:

Archived Blackmoor Website

I can think of no greater honor to a man than remembering him every time I roll the dice.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lenora Ilvastarr
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  16:53:25  Show Profile Send Lenora Ilvastarr a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I can't really think of anything else to say. Others have expressed my own feelings. My condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  22:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn... I really don't know what else to say

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  23:39:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ahhh... Memories:

Archived Blackmoor Website

I can think of no greater honor to a man than remembering him every time I roll the dice.

Oooh! I'd forgotten about that site. Looks like I've got some archiving of my own to do!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000