Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Names from the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  16:59:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering, if there exists a list of names being commonly used in the Realms? Any links on that?

-

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  18:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pg 12 of the 3e FRCS gives a list of male names, female names, and surnames common among various species and geographical locale.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  18:59:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Apart from that, does anyone know of more sources (maybe in the web) where someone made an effort on the names topic?

And another question that just comes to my mind: has anyone heard of people naming their kids after FR personalities?
A former IT-customer (and open source fan) of mine named his kid Linus, so I thought there may be FR fanatics as well applying something similar?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  19:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The closest I've come to doing that is naming my cats after Greek mythological figures (Apollo and Athena, in this case). Though I believe the Sage has a story to tell . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  19:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't considered naming our future children after FR things (though Fzoul Chembryl Mickelson would be kinda badass...). But Raith and I have talked about naming any kids we have after Officers in the Empire.

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  19:56:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Grand Moff' Tarkin Mickeson... Hmm...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  19:57:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

The closest I've come to doing that is naming my cats after Greek mythological figures (Apollo and Athena, in this case). Though I believe the Sage has a story to tell . . .

I am looking forward to that story!

Erik, just out of interest: how do you invent names of characters for you books? Any particular source of inspiration?

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to recopy this into my CoS thread as well:

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Erik, just out of interest: how do you invent names of characters for you books? Any particular source of inspiration?

I think every author has a different way of doing it (and I'd be interested to hear other strategies!), but mine . . .

A lot of names just jump into my mind, which is the easiest way. Usually they're not well formed and need a little tweaking (Ilira was like that, Gargan), but sometimes they're exactly what I want (Kalen, Myrin, Yldar, Rhyn, Dharan).

Sometimes I pick a word I think describes the character, then tweak it into a name (feign = Fayne, aria = Arya, lilt = Lilten, never = Neveren, bar = Bars, gestalt = Gestal) or just leave it as-is (Twilight, Walker), which I think imbues a character with the sort of underlying concept I want them to have (whether subtle or overt). Sometimes (rarely) I borrow names from other works and sometimes modify them slightly, like Cellica (which is not the car, BTW) or Meris (if anyone wants to guess where those came from, go for it; it may be obscure).

I have also been known to name characters after real people, either as a nod to a loyal reader--or as a way of eviscerating someone in fiction (not naming any names).

Some I have no idea where they came from, but just loved them anyway: Cythara, Derst, Rylatarralahtyma, Rukkthalmuramaxamin.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife and I plan on naming our first daughter (way off in the future when we have one) Ce'Nedra (from The Belgariad and The Malloreon). And we have a friend who named her daughter Hermione.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, got a friend who called his daughter Hermione, Potter names are popular atm.

For names its probably easier to work from older european/english names, as that's usually where most fantasy names or forms come from.

If i did a kid naming i'd probably choose a name that wasn't obviously from a source. Say something like Adon or Midnight.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:41:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip> Meris (if anyone wants to guess where those came from, go for it; it may be obscure)

Heh... I'm thinking it's from Frasier. Niles' ex-wife.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
skychrome,

Although there are names that are common or traditional in particular areas, TSR and Wizards have always tried to avoid duplicating names at all, to avoid confusion.

The FRCS sample names might be taken as 'common', but are probably just intended as examples.

Kuje and I have both collected Realms names at different times. What's your pleasure?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a really good guess. Though I don't think I've ever seen more than 5 minutes of half a dozen Frazier episodes.

Meris is actually an adaptation of the name of a character in an old practice-novel of mine I wrote when I was fifteen, which in turn was based on Merrick, which is the name of an Anne Rice novel. Not that I read the novel or have any idea what it's about--I just liked the name.

See? Sometimes it just kinda happens.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  20:55:01  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faraer, I am particularly interested in male names from FR.
Once I saw a name generator for LotR in the web that was actually pretty good.

Furthermore my wife and me have dificulties to agree on a male name for a kid. Maybe there is something useful in the Realms (that sounds good and neutral) without having Fzoul or Thlork attending the kindergarden...

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:05:49  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

My wife and I plan on naming our first daughter (way off in the future when we have one) Ce'Nedra (from The Belgariad and The Malloreon). And we have a friend who named her daughter Hermione.

fantastic fantasy series.if only david eddings could write for the realms.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:11:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you give me a email addy, I can send you my FR NPC list. :) But it's a Excel file.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:16:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage and the Lady K named their daughter Narnra, after the main character in Elminster's Daughter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:22:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

yeah, got a friend who called his daughter Hermione, Potter names are popular atm.

The name Hermione actually comes from Greek mythology. Hermione was the daughter of Helen of Troy and her husband King Melelaus. I shan't argue that Harry Potter didn't make the name more popular, but it does have a pre-JK Rowling source.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:27:03  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Very nice. For a long while I've wanted to get a female cat and name her Artemis, after my favorite goddess from Greek myth. It seems fitting, somehow.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight
Very nice. For a long while I've wanted to get a female cat and name her Artemis, after my favorite goddess from Greek myth. It seems fitting, somehow.

People will take you for a Sailormoon fan!

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."

Edited by - Rabiesbunny on 20 Apr 2009 21:28:54
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:32:40  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rabiesbunny

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

People will take you for a Sailormoon fan!

What? Are you serious? Why?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:35:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the name of her cat!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  21:39:58  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

That's the name of her cat!

Jeez. It figures. And here I thought it would be something truly unique and all that. Stupid cartoon, ruining my naming method. And should I ever have a daughter (if I ever get married again), I think I'd go for something like 'Arella' myself. I've always liked that name and use it for my female aasimar paladin NPC/PC in 3.5E. She's really sweet and almost an innocent at times. My players really seem to like her quite a bit. And I just think that the name is rather lovely.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  22:13:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sage and the Lady K named their daughter Narnra, after the main character in Elminster's Daughter.

So...they named their daughter Elminster?

I named a stray kitten that adopted me in December Kid after the Tiefling in Crypt of the Moaning Diamond. Boy is he a kid.

Ashe why do you know the name of Sailor Moon's cat?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  22:18:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ashe why do you know the name of Sailor Moon's cat?

BRIMSTONE

Probably for the same reason I do, she/he knows someone watched it or she/he watched it. In my case, it's both. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  22:41:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly, my best friend's wife is a HUGE fan. So, of course, that means he and I both watched it...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  22:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Faraer, I am particularly interested in male names from FR.
Once I saw a name generator for LotR in the web that was actually pretty good.
Hie thee then to EBoN and its Forgotten Realms chapter.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  00:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That great man's first name was Wilhuff.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  00:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

That great man's first name was Wilhuff.

Which goes a long way towards explaining his ornery nature.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  00:57:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favourite names is Elfinster, from Zakhara. It's said that he left Shadowdale because he kept being confused with Elminster.

Name patterns vary with region, social class, era and other factors, and you get to intuit the patterns, but they're too complex to easily spell out, in the main. [Though we can say that the rich, the self-important and mages have longer names than farmers and labourers.]

I'd also check out Ed's novels. They're a great source for specific Realmslore-based names. Some even feel [or sound] as though they are period-specific to past eras of the Realms... which is just grand if you're looking to base your campaign prior to current events in the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  00:58:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here's some bits from Ed, on popular/celebrity names in the Realms:-

"March 11, 2004: Hi, Damian! Fangs awfully (sorry) for your questions. Herewith responses: in the original Realms campaign, I had a lot of NPCs with the same name (just as in real life) for maximum confusion = realism = force engaged roleplaying reasons. Obviously, when the Realms was to be published for a wider audience, TSR wanted to eliminate these confusions, so we have just one: Torm the thief sharing his name with a god (which of course is actually very common in the Realms, which has some gods risen from mortal status recently enough that there are peoples still around in which the god's name(s) are still in popular use, and even more often because devout parents often name children after the gods (particularly if the babe is sickly, because they hope the favour of the god will result in the child surviving its early years).

And THO said on June 23rd, 2006: Ah, I can answer this one.

One touch of realism that Ed had in the original Realms, that TSR largely expunged for the sake of clarity and simplicity, was lots of characters with the same first names (how many "Johns" do you know?), a demon and a devil with the same name (Astaroth, if I recall correctly) so those making the SLIGHTEST mistake in the ritual for one could end up with the other arriving, not under their control at all (!), and, of course, lots of children named after gods (Torm the thief being one of those - - and, yes, his personal character, as played by Victor Selby, tending to make this a mockery of what the god stands for). So in the "home" Realms there are LOTS of name confusion incidents; it all makes for more and better roleplaying."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000