Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Names from the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  01:15:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Though I believe the Sage has a story to tell . . .
Aye.

When the Lady K and I had our first child, a baby girl, in June '05, we decided upon Narnra -- to both honour Ed's amazing work with the Realms and because the Lady K, who was reading through Elminster's Daughter at the time, was delighted with the name itself for a baby girl.

I loved it myself and thus, agreed to it as well. I'd like to think that if the Lady K and I hadn't settled on Narnra though... Laeral would've been a potential choice for an alternative. And, as it happens... we'd originally settled on "Alassra" before reading Elminster's Daughter.

The Lady K and I didn't even find it strange that the first eleven names on the "Baby Name List" we composed before Narnra was born, consisted entirely of long-time FR characters. Five were purely Ed characters, three were from Steven and the remaining names were from Elaine.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  01:19:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I named a stray kitten that adopted me in December Kid after the Tiefling in Crypt of the Moaning Diamond. Boy is he a kid.
Heh. One of my cats, a Russian blue, is named Sibelius... after the Finnish composer. And, because, for some reason, he seems to sleep right next to any speaker when Sibelius's works are playing.

Though, I've got a friend who just settled on the name "Tressym" for her pet feline.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  01:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

and, of course, lots of children named after gods (Torm the thief being one of those - - and, yes, his personal character, as played by Victor Selby, tending to make this a mockery of what the god stands for). So in the "home" Realms there are LOTS of name confusion incidents; it all makes for more and better roleplaying."

This particular parallel gets some reference in Downshadow, actually, in the form of a little nod on p. 87.

Torm was always one of my favorite Ed characters.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  08:00:03  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read someday that there is an author (Phillip Athans or Richard Baker... I don't remember exactly) that has a white cat named Mystra, and a black one named Selune...

And my wife tells everyone that if she let me, I would put my son name "Drizzt" or "Regis"... LoL (but I admit that I thought about it)

Fortunetly, we named him Theo (God in greek).. Nice shot, isn't it?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  13:26:04  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the fact that my ex named her cat Mystra count?

When it comes to Realmsian naming conventions, I've alway taken the lead from known and documented NPCs. The Volo Guides are great for that sort of thing as you learn of quite a few names of pretty obscure characters from just about every corner of the realms.

For my own characters, I'm much like Eric. I'll grab a concept with how I feel my charaters are and give them a name that either reflects it or gives them some distinction. Best example would be the two Half-Elven twins; Celest and Astrara Rilmothane.

Other times I'll use real world names that reflect similar cultures to where the charater comes from. Such as Saxon and Scandinavian names for Illuskans. Celt names for Ffolk, Catharginian/Catalan names for Tethyrians. Arabian/Persian or Turkish names for Calishites etc.

Sometimes I'll let a character from another setting creep in... There's an elven bladesinger called Ullic Qel'Droma running around Evereska....

Lastly, I'll borrow the Bioware method of taking a real name and dropping or changing one letter, (eg.Imoen = Imogen.) I've done that to produce names like; Nelissa, Endrea, Farla, Murtiss, Tonrad, Davin... you could make those all day.
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  13:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Other times I'll use real world names that reflect similar cultures to where the charater comes from. Such as Saxon and Scandinavian names for Illuskans. Celt names for Ffolk, Catharginian/Catalan names for Tethyrians. Arabian/Persian or Turkish names for Calishites etc.

Have to admit, for naming, this is the way I like to go. You can always mix it up, but knowing the Realms' ethnic ties and going with those I find real fun. There is this really neat site with thousands of names from different cultures, all separated by meanining. I love putting them together.

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  15:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

I've read someday that there is an author (Phillip Athans or Richard Baker... I don't remember exactly) that has a white cat named Mystra, and a black one named Selune...

I think that's Thomas M. Reid.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  17:35:50  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
Hie thee then to EBoN and its Forgotten Realms chapter.

Thank thee! Looks good!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  00:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is from Ergdusch's "Looking for all about Cormyr" thread, found here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9685&whichpage=5

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Ed gave an insight into popular names in the Forest Kingdom:

'Recently popular Cormyrean female names
: Asmura, Baera, Calatha, Dalorna, Deira, Estele, Flornele, Iltara, Jakkara, Marantha, Raele, Sarelle, Tamphara, Thorn
(So, daily diminutives: Asmur or Mur, Baer, Cath, Lorna or Lor, Deir, Stel, Flor, Tara, Kara, Ranth or Ran, [Raele], Rel, Fara, [Thorn])
In these lists, Griskor, Hrandur, Jeth, and Lharak (of the male names) and Iltara, Jakkara, Marantha, and Tamphara (of the female names) have been brought in through immigration, and are more popular in Marsember and Suzail than in “upcountry” places such as Espar, Eveningstar, and Arabel (roughly: Waymoot and Immersea and anywhere north of those locales).
Conversely, in the upcountry areas, “old,” long-established Cormyrean names are more popular; in these lists, those names are Beliard, Brace, Dannon, Morlan, and Roth (male names) and Baera, Dalorna, Raele, and Thorn (female names).
“Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”
Andel, Ardusk, Edlorn, and Wynter (of the male names), and Asmura, Calatha, Estele, and Flornele (of the female names) are from the previous two generations of immigration, and come from Sembia.
To zero in on Arabel in particular, as per your request, the most popular names right now are:
(boys) Beliard, Brace, Brorn, Dannon, Danrask, Jeth [and its local variant “Juth”], Morland [not a typo for “Morlan,” but the local variant on “Morlan”], Roth, and Wendur (diminutives: [Beliard], Race, Rorn, Dan, Dan, [Jeth], Morl, [Roth], Wen)
(girls) Baera, Calatha, Dalorna, Delendra, Labrelle, Marra, Raele, Sulue [or Tassulue], and Thorn (diminutives: Baer, Cath, Lorn, Len, Bel, Mar, Rae, Su [or Tass], [Thorn]).
Note that some local favourites appear here that aren’t in the “more widely popular” lists. Sulue is pronounced “Soo-LOO,” by the way, so “Su” is “Soo” (this name came from Aglarond to Scardale, then through the northern Dales to Arabel).'

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  18:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I was just wondering, if there exists a list of names being commonly used in the Realms? Any links on that?

-

There are quite some name generators in the web (google it), witch can be very helpful. And there is even a program, Ebon, found here:

http://ebon.pyorre.net/

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  05:18:21  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
want a list of realms names? just go through all of the So Saith Ed pdf files and pull out all the names he has used in his answers
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  21:27:50  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. I have a tactic to create names.. It works quite well...

First, I check what the kind of name that I want... Dwarven, Halruaan (with double vogals), Calimnshan (a bit indian), Elven, Drow..

Than, I think of the first letter of the name, normally I get some that I didn't use on a while.

Third, I start to put vogals/consoants to complete the name.

Fourth, I rewrite the name checking the sonoroty.

Let's try here.
I gonna make a new name (never thought before), of a Human that lives at Thay. (Thay names, normally are short.. Szass Tam, Aoth, Bareris, Nevron...)

The first letter will be... -something that doesn't appear at the names above- "L".
So.. Let's start creating:

L
Li
Lit
Litu
Lituan
(Finally I have one.. well... it looks like the name of the country.. so let's change some letters)

Latuan
Liton
Leruan
Loruel
Lorgan (wolverine?)
Lorgos

Well.. At the end I have a list of 7 names, some are awful, but there's always a good/medium one.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Edited by - edappel on 15 May 2009 21:29:08
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  20:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not read all the posts so it might have been quoted before but
Master Gygax, (Please, have a good thought about him ) wrote an Extraordinary Book Of Names
You could find what you want, all past civilisations usual names, some fantastic ones,...
within a single word : Gary's stuff !
(is this last sentence understandable ?)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000