Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Names from the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
skychrome Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 16:59:32
I was just wondering, if there exists a list of names being commonly used in the Realms? Any links on that?

-

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fillow Posted - 20 May 2009 : 20:38:44
I did not read all the posts so it might have been quoted before but
Master Gygax, (Please, have a good thought about him ) wrote an Extraordinary Book Of Names
You could find what you want, all past civilisations usual names, some fantastic ones,...
within a single word : Gary's stuff !
(is this last sentence understandable ?)
edappel Posted - 15 May 2009 : 21:27:50
Well.. I have a tactic to create names.. It works quite well...

First, I check what the kind of name that I want... Dwarven, Halruaan (with double vogals), Calimnshan (a bit indian), Elven, Drow..

Than, I think of the first letter of the name, normally I get some that I didn't use on a while.

Third, I start to put vogals/consoants to complete the name.

Fourth, I rewrite the name checking the sonoroty.

Let's try here.
I gonna make a new name (never thought before), of a Human that lives at Thay. (Thay names, normally are short.. Szass Tam, Aoth, Bareris, Nevron...)

The first letter will be... -something that doesn't appear at the names above- "L".
So.. Let's start creating:

L
Li
Lit
Litu
Lituan
(Finally I have one.. well... it looks like the name of the country.. so let's change some letters)

Latuan
Liton
Leruan
Loruel
Lorgan (wolverine?)
Lorgos

Well.. At the end I have a list of 7 names, some are awful, but there's always a good/medium one.
rjfras Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 05:18:21
want a list of realms names? just go through all of the So Saith Ed pdf files and pull out all the names he has used in his answers
Moonlight Posted - 22 Apr 2009 : 18:57:23
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I was just wondering, if there exists a list of names being commonly used in the Realms? Any links on that?

-

There are quite some name generators in the web (google it), witch can be very helpful. And there is even a program, Ebon, found here:

http://ebon.pyorre.net/
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 22 Apr 2009 : 00:54:12
This is from Ergdusch's "Looking for all about Cormyr" thread, found here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9685&whichpage=5

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Ed gave an insight into popular names in the Forest Kingdom:

'Recently popular Cormyrean female names
: Asmura, Baera, Calatha, Dalorna, Deira, Estele, Flornele, Iltara, Jakkara, Marantha, Raele, Sarelle, Tamphara, Thorn
(So, daily diminutives: Asmur or Mur, Baer, Cath, Lorna or Lor, Deir, Stel, Flor, Tara, Kara, Ranth or Ran, [Raele], Rel, Fara, [Thorn])
In these lists, Griskor, Hrandur, Jeth, and Lharak (of the male names) and Iltara, Jakkara, Marantha, and Tamphara (of the female names) have been brought in through immigration, and are more popular in Marsember and Suzail than in “upcountry” places such as Espar, Eveningstar, and Arabel (roughly: Waymoot and Immersea and anywhere north of those locales).
Conversely, in the upcountry areas, “old,” long-established Cormyrean names are more popular; in these lists, those names are Beliard, Brace, Dannon, Morlan, and Roth (male names) and Baera, Dalorna, Raele, and Thorn (female names).
“Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”
Andel, Ardusk, Edlorn, and Wynter (of the male names), and Asmura, Calatha, Estele, and Flornele (of the female names) are from the previous two generations of immigration, and come from Sembia.
To zero in on Arabel in particular, as per your request, the most popular names right now are:
(boys) Beliard, Brace, Brorn, Dannon, Danrask, Jeth [and its local variant “Juth”], Morland [not a typo for “Morlan,” but the local variant on “Morlan”], Roth, and Wendur (diminutives: [Beliard], Race, Rorn, Dan, Dan, [Jeth], Morl, [Roth], Wen)
(girls) Baera, Calatha, Dalorna, Delendra, Labrelle, Marra, Raele, Sulue [or Tassulue], and Thorn (diminutives: Baer, Cath, Lorn, Len, Bel, Mar, Rae, Su [or Tass], [Thorn]).
Note that some local favourites appear here that aren’t in the “more widely popular” lists. Sulue is pronounced “Soo-LOO,” by the way, so “Su” is “Soo” (this name came from Aglarond to Scardale, then through the northern Dales to Arabel).'

skychrome Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 17:35:50
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
Hie thee then to EBoN and its Forgotten Realms chapter.

Thank thee! Looks good!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 15:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

I've read someday that there is an author (Phillip Athans or Richard Baker... I don't remember exactly) that has a white cat named Mystra, and a black one named Selune...

I think that's Thomas M. Reid.
Rabiesbunny Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 13:51:51
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Other times I'll use real world names that reflect similar cultures to where the charater comes from. Such as Saxon and Scandinavian names for Illuskans. Celt names for Ffolk, Catharginian/Catalan names for Tethyrians. Arabian/Persian or Turkish names for Calishites etc.

Have to admit, for naming, this is the way I like to go. You can always mix it up, but knowing the Realms' ethnic ties and going with those I find real fun. There is this really neat site with thousands of names from different cultures, all separated by meanining. I love putting them together.

BlackAce Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 13:26:04
Does the fact that my ex named her cat Mystra count?

When it comes to Realmsian naming conventions, I've alway taken the lead from known and documented NPCs. The Volo Guides are great for that sort of thing as you learn of quite a few names of pretty obscure characters from just about every corner of the realms.

For my own characters, I'm much like Eric. I'll grab a concept with how I feel my charaters are and give them a name that either reflects it or gives them some distinction. Best example would be the two Half-Elven twins; Celest and Astrara Rilmothane.

Other times I'll use real world names that reflect similar cultures to where the charater comes from. Such as Saxon and Scandinavian names for Illuskans. Celt names for Ffolk, Catharginian/Catalan names for Tethyrians. Arabian/Persian or Turkish names for Calishites etc.

Sometimes I'll let a character from another setting creep in... There's an elven bladesinger called Ullic Qel'Droma running around Evereska....

Lastly, I'll borrow the Bioware method of taking a real name and dropping or changing one letter, (eg.Imoen = Imogen.) I've done that to produce names like; Nelissa, Endrea, Farla, Murtiss, Tonrad, Davin... you could make those all day.
edappel Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 08:00:03
I've read someday that there is an author (Phillip Athans or Richard Baker... I don't remember exactly) that has a white cat named Mystra, and a black one named Selune...

And my wife tells everyone that if she let me, I would put my son name "Drizzt" or "Regis"... LoL (but I admit that I thought about it)

Fortunetly, we named him Theo (God in greek).. Nice shot, isn't it?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 01:22:31
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

and, of course, lots of children named after gods (Torm the thief being one of those - - and, yes, his personal character, as played by Victor Selby, tending to make this a mockery of what the god stands for). So in the "home" Realms there are LOTS of name confusion incidents; it all makes for more and better roleplaying."

This particular parallel gets some reference in Downshadow, actually, in the form of a little nod on p. 87.

Torm was always one of my favorite Ed characters.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 01:19:33
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I named a stray kitten that adopted me in December Kid after the Tiefling in Crypt of the Moaning Diamond. Boy is he a kid.
Heh. One of my cats, a Russian blue, is named Sibelius... after the Finnish composer. And, because, for some reason, he seems to sleep right next to any speaker when Sibelius's works are playing.

Though, I've got a friend who just settled on the name "Tressym" for her pet feline.
The Sage Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 01:15:11
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Though I believe the Sage has a story to tell . . .
Aye.

When the Lady K and I had our first child, a baby girl, in June '05, we decided upon Narnra -- to both honour Ed's amazing work with the Realms and because the Lady K, who was reading through Elminster's Daughter at the time, was delighted with the name itself for a baby girl.

I loved it myself and thus, agreed to it as well. I'd like to think that if the Lady K and I hadn't settled on Narnra though... Laeral would've been a potential choice for an alternative. And, as it happens... we'd originally settled on "Alassra" before reading Elminster's Daughter.

The Lady K and I didn't even find it strange that the first eleven names on the "Baby Name List" we composed before Narnra was born, consisted entirely of long-time FR characters. Five were purely Ed characters, three were from Steven and the remaining names were from Elaine.
The Sage Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 00:58:33
And here's some bits from Ed, on popular/celebrity names in the Realms:-

"March 11, 2004: Hi, Damian! Fangs awfully (sorry) for your questions. Herewith responses: in the original Realms campaign, I had a lot of NPCs with the same name (just as in real life) for maximum confusion = realism = force engaged roleplaying reasons. Obviously, when the Realms was to be published for a wider audience, TSR wanted to eliminate these confusions, so we have just one: Torm the thief sharing his name with a god (which of course is actually very common in the Realms, which has some gods risen from mortal status recently enough that there are peoples still around in which the god's name(s) are still in popular use, and even more often because devout parents often name children after the gods (particularly if the babe is sickly, because they hope the favour of the god will result in the child surviving its early years).

And THO said on June 23rd, 2006: Ah, I can answer this one.

One touch of realism that Ed had in the original Realms, that TSR largely expunged for the sake of clarity and simplicity, was lots of characters with the same first names (how many "Johns" do you know?), a demon and a devil with the same name (Astaroth, if I recall correctly) so those making the SLIGHTEST mistake in the ritual for one could end up with the other arriving, not under their control at all (!), and, of course, lots of children named after gods (Torm the thief being one of those - - and, yes, his personal character, as played by Victor Selby, tending to make this a mockery of what the god stands for). So in the "home" Realms there are LOTS of name confusion incidents; it all makes for more and better roleplaying."
The Sage Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 00:57:08
One of my favourite names is Elfinster, from Zakhara. It's said that he left Shadowdale because he kept being confused with Elminster.

Name patterns vary with region, social class, era and other factors, and you get to intuit the patterns, but they're too complex to easily spell out, in the main. [Though we can say that the rich, the self-important and mages have longer names than farmers and labourers.]

I'd also check out Ed's novels. They're a great source for specific Realmslore-based names. Some even feel [or sound] as though they are period-specific to past eras of the Realms... which is just grand if you're looking to base your campaign prior to current events in the Realms.
Icelander Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 00:39:04
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

'Grand Moff' Tarkin Mickeson... Hmm...

That great man's first name was Wilhuff.

Which goes a long way towards explaining his ornery nature.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 00:00:12
quote:

'Grand Moff' Tarkin Mickeson... Hmm...

That great man's first name was Wilhuff.
Faraer Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 22:52:21
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Faraer, I am particularly interested in male names from FR.
Once I saw a name generator for LotR in the web that was actually pretty good.
Hie thee then to EBoN and its Forgotten Realms chapter.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 22:41:39
Mostly, my best friend's wife is a HUGE fan. So, of course, that means he and I both watched it...
Kuje Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 22:18:49
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ashe why do you know the name of Sailor Moon's cat?

BRIMSTONE

Probably for the same reason I do, she/he knows someone watched it or she/he watched it. In my case, it's both. :)
Brimstone Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 22:13:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sage and the Lady K named their daughter Narnra, after the main character in Elminster's Daughter.

So...they named their daughter Elminster?

I named a stray kitten that adopted me in December Kid after the Tiefling in Crypt of the Moaning Diamond. Boy is he a kid.

Ashe why do you know the name of Sailor Moon's cat?

BRIMSTONE
Penknight Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:39:58
quote:

That's the name of her cat!

Jeez. It figures. And here I thought it would be something truly unique and all that. Stupid cartoon, ruining my naming method. And should I ever have a daughter (if I ever get married again), I think I'd go for something like 'Arella' myself. I've always liked that name and use it for my female aasimar paladin NPC/PC in 3.5E. She's really sweet and almost an innocent at times. My players really seem to like her quite a bit. And I just think that the name is rather lovely.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:35:08
That's the name of her cat!
Penknight Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:32:40
quote:
Originally posted by Rabiesbunny

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight
Very nice. For a long while I've wanted to get a female cat and name her Artemis, after my favorite goddess from Greek myth. It seems fitting, somehow.

People will take you for a Sailormoon fan!

What? Are you serious? Why?
Rabiesbunny Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:28:22
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight
Very nice. For a long while I've wanted to get a female cat and name her Artemis, after my favorite goddess from Greek myth. It seems fitting, somehow.

People will take you for a Sailormoon fan!
Penknight Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:27:03
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

The closest I've come to doing that is naming my cats after Greek mythological figures (Apollo and Athena, in this case). Though I believe the Sage has a story to tell . . .

Cheers

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:22:15
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

yeah, got a friend who called his daughter Hermione, Potter names are popular atm.

The name Hermione actually comes from Greek mythology. Hermione was the daughter of Helen of Troy and her husband King Melelaus. I shan't argue that Harry Potter didn't make the name more popular, but it does have a pre-JK Rowling source.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:16:47
Sage and the Lady K named their daughter Narnra, after the main character in Elminster's Daughter.
Kuje Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:11:27
If you give me a email addy, I can send you my FR NPC list. :) But it's a Excel file.
swifty Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:05:49
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

My wife and I plan on naming our first daughter (way off in the future when we have one) Ce'Nedra (from The Belgariad and The Malloreon). And we have a friend who named her daughter Hermione.

fantastic fantasy series.if only david eddings could write for the realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000