Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dave Arneson hospitalized
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  00:00:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Stackpole wrote a very moving tribute for Dave Arneson on his website.

See here:- http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=214

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  04:53:15  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a shame. But no one lives forever.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  09:22:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
raises glass in salute.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  09:43:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

borderline rude bub, thats like me telling you to put that on your tombstone or urn.

or having the words on your tombstone with certain letters at the first so that....

no matter anyway......
thought this was appropriate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSnkCisInLE

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  01:35:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cards and letters can continue to be sent:
Dave Arneson
1043 Grand Avenue
Box #257
St. Paul, MN

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  06:23:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caught this article on Yahoo news because it contains some info about the memorial, which Ashe was interested in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/ap_on_en_ot/obit_dave_arneson;_ylt=AqhOtFyE8lPPt.u4Bz8oRb0jtBAF

"Arneson is survived by Weinhagen and two grandchildren. A public memorial service was planned April 20, from 4 to 8 p.m., at Bradshaw Funeral Home in St. Paul."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Apr 2009 06:24:13
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  08:10:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kuje.

I'm going to try and get to the memorial.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  14:02:48  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A creator who made many happy memories for those he loved and for millions more he never met. The last chapter on a life well lived comes to an end but the memories remain and what he created will carry his name into legend.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  21:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

borderline rude bub, thats like me telling you to put that on your tombstone or urn.

I actually disagree--it's a bit blunt, but it's a realistic observation. Life is finite and in my personal life I hold no illusions that that is not the case.

Like some of the others here I don't really have anything to say.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  20:59:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ashe,

Did you ever manage to make it to the funeral?

Just was wondering.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  21:41:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I wasn't able to. Right before the funeral, our company has some layoffs and cut the 'survivors' salaries by 10%, so my trips to the cities have been drastically reduced. Where before I was up there every week, now I have to seriously reflect on how long I can make a tankful of gas last (and save up for the great drive east to Indianapolis and GenCon in a couple of months).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  21:58:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Actually, I wasn't able to. Right before the funeral, our company has some layoffs and cut the 'survivors' salaries by 10%, so my trips to the cities have been drastically reduced. Where before I was up there every week, now I have to seriously reflect on how long I can make a tankful of gas last (and save up for the great drive east to Indianapolis and GenCon in a couple of months).

Ah, bugger. :(

But totally understandable. I was curious because you never posted if you made it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000