Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dave Arneson hospitalized

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 06 Apr 2009 : 13:53:27
I've only seen blog and forum posts (like here) regarding a downturn in Mr. Arneson's cancer battle, so take this with a grain of salt until we can corroborate the story.

quote:

David's cancer has unexpectedly worsened just this week, to the point that he is in the hospital. He is heavily sedated and not doing well. He is not expected to live for more than a couple days, if that long.

The family is requesting that no one try to visit or send anything to him.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kuje Posted - 20 May 2009 : 21:58:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Actually, I wasn't able to. Right before the funeral, our company has some layoffs and cut the 'survivors' salaries by 10%, so my trips to the cities have been drastically reduced. Where before I was up there every week, now I have to seriously reflect on how long I can make a tankful of gas last (and save up for the great drive east to Indianapolis and GenCon in a couple of months).

Ah, bugger. :(

But totally understandable. I was curious because you never posted if you made it.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 May 2009 : 21:41:16
Actually, I wasn't able to. Right before the funeral, our company has some layoffs and cut the 'survivors' salaries by 10%, so my trips to the cities have been drastically reduced. Where before I was up there every week, now I have to seriously reflect on how long I can make a tankful of gas last (and save up for the great drive east to Indianapolis and GenCon in a couple of months).
Kuje Posted - 20 May 2009 : 20:59:38
Hey Ashe,

Did you ever manage to make it to the funeral?

Just was wondering.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 21:16:06
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

That's a shame. But no one lives forever.

borderline rude bub, thats like me telling you to put that on your tombstone or urn.

I actually disagree--it's a bit blunt, but it's a realistic observation. Life is finite and in my personal life I hold no illusions that that is not the case.

Like some of the others here I don't really have anything to say.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 14:02:48
A creator who made many happy memories for those he loved and for millions more he never met. The last chapter on a life well lived comes to an end but the memories remain and what he created will carry his name into legend.

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 08:10:37
Thanks, Kuje.

I'm going to try and get to the memorial.
Kuje Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 06:23:35
I caught this article on Yahoo news because it contains some info about the memorial, which Ashe was interested in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/ap_on_en_ot/obit_dave_arneson;_ylt=AqhOtFyE8lPPt.u4Bz8oRb0jtBAF

"Arneson is survived by Weinhagen and two grandchildren. A public memorial service was planned April 20, from 4 to 8 p.m., at Bradshaw Funeral Home in St. Paul."
Kuje Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 01:35:53
Cards and letters can continue to be sent:
Dave Arneson
1043 Grand Avenue
Box #257
St. Paul, MN
sfdragon Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 09:43:48
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

borderline rude bub, thats like me telling you to put that on your tombstone or urn.

or having the words on your tombstone with certain letters at the first so that....

no matter anyway......
thought this was appropriate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSnkCisInLE
sfdragon Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 09:22:37
raises glass in salute.
SeeDiGi Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 04:53:15
The Sage Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 00:00:42
Michael Stackpole wrote a very moving tribute for Dave Arneson on his website.

See here:- http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=214
The Sage Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 23:39:28
quote:

Ahhh... Memories:

Archived Blackmoor Website

I can think of no greater honor to a man than remembering him every time I roll the dice.

Oooh! I'd forgotten about that site. Looks like I've got some archiving of my own to do!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 22:48:41
Damn... I really don't know what else to say
Lenora Ilvastarr Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 16:53:25

I can't really think of anything else to say. Others have expressed my own feelings. My condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 16:30:12
Ahhh... Memories:

Archived Blackmoor Website

I can think of no greater honor to a man than remembering him every time I roll the dice.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 15:36:26
Sorry to hear.
Asgetrion Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 14:54:15
So passeth another of the Giants among us...

Rest in Peace, Dave! May the Dice Gods be gentle on your soul!
arry Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 11:27:49
You helped create my favourite hobby; you helped create many lives, thank you. You will be missed
Jorkens Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 08:49:14
Rest in Peace, Dave.
Kuje Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 04:15:34
quote:

I am going to try and make it to the memorial service if it's open to the public. Kuje, can you let me know the details when they're available? You can reach me through here. PM me if you need my email address.

Will do if I see any posts on ENworld, which is where I pulled that earlier post from.
Brimstone Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 04:10:15
Rest in Peace, Dave. Thank you for the memories.

BRIMSTONE
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 03:39:54
I am going to try and make it to the memorial service if it's open to the public. Kuje, can you let me know the details when they're available? You can reach me through here. PM me if you need my email address.
Markustay Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 03:33:05
Sleep well, sweet prince.
Penknight Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 02:04:19
Take care, Mr. Arneson. You and Mr. Gygax introduced us all to amazing worlds, and tales of adventure that sparked creativity in our hearts and allowed us to live out some our childhood adventures and fantasies. I dedicate this coming weekend's session to the memories of you both.
The Sage Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 00:03:29
Today is indeed, a dark day.

Rest well and in peace Dave. You're now embarking on your greatest adventure yet.
Kuje Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 23:58:13
Its now been confirmed by his daughter that he has passed on. :(

Originally Posted by Rainsford
I heard rumors he was hospitalized yesterday (or late the day before) and further rumors of his passing. I just got a confirmation from an industry veteran:

"It is now confirmed. Dave's daughter Malia called me a few minutes ago to tell me that Dave passed away last night in the company of his family.

There will be a memorial at the funeral home April 20th, and a service at the church April 21st. Anyone who feels inspired to come is welcome. Flowers can be sent to the funeral home:
Bradshaw, 678 Snelling Ave South, St Paul, MN 55116

Details on which charity you could donate to in his name, will be forthcoming from the relatives shortly."
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 23:59:58
Man, I hate this kind of stuff. I obviously don't know Mr. Arneson personally but his work has had a tremendous and positive impact on my life, as it has on everybody's here. And I just visited my 93 year old grandmother this weekend--she was having a good day, thank God.

This stuff gets so complicated and trying with "quality of life" issues and conflicting needs and wants warring with one another. I just hope Dave Arneson and his loved ones are receiving excellent care and have better-than-adequate emotional, spiritual and (alas, it's an issue in our culture and country) financial resources to draw on right now. It seems a little ghoulish looking in from the outside like this, but that's always the way with somebody whose life and work is big enough to touch the wider world. Even though the very best may seem a dismal prospect, I wish it for them nonetheless.
Penknight Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 23:47:29
I was also sad to hear of this, so I went looking for us... http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/07/dandd-co-creator-dave-arneson-has-died/

I'm just glad that he's still with us. I wish him all of the best.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 21:41:20
Let's wait for official word. I've seen a lot of 'doom-saying' on the various threads since the news first came out and rather wait for word from his family.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000