Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What if -- Selunnarra returned to the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  19:17:45  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for Pre-Spellplague Selunarra:

Most of the deeds of Shade would likely be mirrored by Opus. Instead of capture and forced intergratetion of Netheril Survivors, they would offer safety and protection from Shade.

They would have to ally with one of the modern powers. Shade did this with Sembia, even if it was more conquest. The most likely allies are Luruar, Cormyr or the Dalelands. There is also the question of the Sembian Civil War, since Opus would not let Shar and Shade take control of a full country. I can see Opus supporting the opposite side from the Shades, perhaps creating two nations from the bulk of Sembia.

Then the spellplague hits and everything goes to pot as people relearn their Art again.

Post-Spellplague Return:

A few things might keep the city itself from returning, the major being the ritual keeping the city in the Gates of the Moon. As I have said, PrSP it would need the Eye of Selune and the location where the Shadow Sea is now. If it remains intact after the SP, it would require a trip to Waterdeep and then into the heart of enemy territory.

This could mean the ritual would have to be reinvented which could take time. Yet the spellplague could have altered the conditions, which also would take time to research.

The Shades as I have last heard had the Nether Scrolls. Now if they continued to work after the SP, it would give the Shades a major magic advantage. Either the Opus people would have to steal them back (Major heist, long time planning), find a new set (Extremely hard, if not impossible) or created an equal artifact for magic (need divine backing, time and power). The latter is more likely then the other two if Opus didn't know the Scrolls are in Shade's possession.

Also Opus would need a modern ally against the world. Shade has gain total control of Sembia... but they also need the Sembians as well since they are the portal to the rest of the world.

Also with the Shade's return, they have created a major information network. Opus would also need some way to get more information on the world.

So I can see many Opus adventurers coming to Toril to keep an eye on things and stop the Shades, as they try to find a way back while not being as hated as the Shades.

Thoughts?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  00:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit when I read about the possible "return of selunarra" I was rather annoyed. Here was another Wizards plot device that had to be in near perfect counterpoint to another - in this case the return of Shade. I remember from the old netheril box set the plot device of Shade enclave disappearing just before the fall. However, I must admit I don't remember any comments regarding any other enclaves evading the fall. The selunnara disappearance seemed very much retconning to me in 3e Realms once they decided to bring Shade back. I may be wrong here but I thought the return of Shade as a concept to be rather cool and interesting. The prospect of another enclave also evading the Fall just bothers me and diminishes the impact of Shade.

The other point that bothers me is this devotion of Shade to Shar. I can accept some part of it perhaps among the populace but not at the top, especially Telamont. In the old Netheril box set there is a passage somewhere that describes the High Mages of Netheril, among whom I would include Telamont, as being anti-deity worship. The high mages viewed accepting divine magic as putting themselves under the thumbs of the gods and derailling any of there own aspirations to divine ascension. Perhaps not all of the high mages held to this view but I always thought it was a very cool concept. "If you want to become a god, you can never submit to them or accept their aid". Ok that quote is my own and not from anywhere else. But I like the idea of Larloch or Telamont telling the various gods to "stuff it" because they could achieve their own goals on their own. Perhaps this line of thought lead Karsus towards his folly but I find the concept of the Archwizards of Netheril following an "anti-deity worhsip" philosophy to be compelling motivation in the FR setting/mythos.

So I say "boo" to Selunarra and any other hidden enclaves. The antithesis to the Shades, at least in the Return trilogy, was not Selunnara, it was the Chosen and their various followers including those who harp. The Shades don't need another counterpoint in the FR canon. The chosen and the PC heroes of the realms should be enough. Keep the Shades and their return "unique", don't dilute their impact on the Realms by claiming other peoples of Netheril did the same thing. Cheers!.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you have a point. Selunnara does kinda feel like "forced symmetry" to me, although I have to admit I have grown fond of the idea and would still be willing to use it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:17:30  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selunarra is actually as old as Shade as a plot hook. It's in the original Arcane Age box set, not much but some to hint it was saved by Selune by some method. Just like Shade was saved by shifting into the Demiplane of Shadows.

Just to no history.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for pointing that out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think you have a point. Selunnara does kinda feel like "forced symmetry" to me, although I have to admit I have grown fond of the idea and would still be willing to use it.

Thanks for taking my whole first paragraph and eloquently describing it as "forced symmetry". Well done. Brevity is a virtue
Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  01:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Selunarra is actually as old as Shade as a plot hook. It's in the original Arcane Age box set, not much but some to hint it was saved by Selune by some method. Just like Shade was saved by shifting into the Demiplane of Shadows.

Just to no history.

If that is correct, I would still view this as "forced symmetry" as Rin has so nicely phrased. Why did they need to have a counter-point to Shade enclave being saved even in the Netheril set? And Telamont saved Shade via his experiments not divine intervention by Shar - a serendipitous timing of the experiment. Perhaps you could claim that this timing was inspired by Shar but I don't like that idea. Why can't Shade have just accomplished this themselves? Why the need for forced symmetry? And why would selune, a goddess of good only save her own enclave? Why wouldn't she at least warn all others to at least give them a chance to land their flying cities? Once again, I say "boo" to selunnara, and retconning, and forced symmetry!!!
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  02:08:42  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darius Talynth

quote:

Just to no history.

If that is correct, I would still view this as "forced symmetry" as Rin has so nicely phrased. Why did they need to have a counter-point to Shade enclave being saved even in the Netheril set? And Telamont saved Shade via his experiments not divine intervention by Shar - a serendipitous timing of the experiment. Perhaps you could claim that this timing was inspired by Shar but I don't like that idea. Why can't Shade have just accomplished this themselves? Why the need for forced symmetry? And why would selune, a goddess of good only save her own enclave? Why wouldn't she at least warn all others to at least give them a chance to land their flying cities? Once again, I say "boo" to selunnara, and retconning, and forced symmetry!!!

My comment:

Yes to Forced Symmetry, no to retconning. Retro Continuality means changing the continuality, the constant of the media. Like Brand New Day removed the Identity of Spider-man. Opus had a vague plot hook which was developed more during Third Edition. This is like Spider-man parents not being mentioned for an early part of the series before some decided to name them and make them into slander super-spies.

So in repeating:

Yes to you booing it in your opinion (Not everyones, but your opinion is shared by others), Yes to Forced Symmetry and No to retroconning (Just vague enough for them to drop what they did in Third Edition.

Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  02:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Just to no history.

My comment:

Yes to Forced Symmetry, no to retconning. Retro Continuality means changing the continuality, the constant of the media. Like Brand New Day removed the Identity of Spider-man. Opus had a vague plot hook which was developed more during Third Edition. This is like Spider-man parents not being mentioned for an early part of the series before some decided to name them and make them into slander super-spies.

So in repeating:

Yes to you booing it in your opinion (Not everyones, but your opinion is shared by others), Yes to Forced Symmetry and No to retroconning (Just vague enough for them to drop what they did in Third Edition.

Of course my saying "boo" to such concepts is my own opinion and I think I have shared it in a friendly manner and was never directed at anyone or anyones' specific posts.

May I suggest that forced symmetry need not be so blatant but can in fact be more subtle. In the Return of the Archwizards, Shade is presented to us as the new evil in the Realms, more or less taking over for the diminishment of other evil organizations. I do believe that the good guys should win in the end but it doesn't need to happen right away. The idea of selunnara following Shade just seems blatant and forced when it didn't need to be. Let the Harpers, and the chosen, the elves of Evereska take on Shade (which they all did). Let the PCs take to the frontline. We don't need a scoreboard of "Shar has Shade so now Selune needs Selunnara". Selune has her current day followers to rise to the challenge of Shade. I think this would be a more compelling and interesting plot line than Selunnara.

I enjoy discussing this with everyone here. Don't be offended when I "boo" this concept (Wizards' concept) of how their moral symmetry for good and evil is enacted.. or enforced.
Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  03:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I stand corrected on Opus "possibly" being saved from the fall as so it hints at on page 82 of the Winds of Netheril book from Empire of Magic box set. "Boo" on me.

Interestingly enough the description of Shade discusses the citizens' veneration of the dark side of Tyche with nary a reference to Shar...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  03:33:31  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an alterntive to Selunarra, for Netheril members who are not Shar worshipping Shadow Freak...

The True Netheril movement! A movement both within and without of Netheril to convert the people to something other then Shar's ways. We know from the Sembia article in FRCG that there are people who only on the surface worship Shar. It is possible that the gods (especially Selune but also others, I can see Bane 'working' together with the more benine gods to get a powerful hold on them) would have been working on this during the hundred years.

This can work with out Selunarra, with a reduced Selunarra (let's say Shar attack and destroyed the city itself, or the full city in the realms.

Just a quick idea...

Go to Top of Page

Darius Talynth
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Visit Darius Talynth's Homepage Send Darius Talynth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As an alterntive to Selunarra, for Netheril members who are not Shar worshipping Shadow Freak...

The True Netheril movement! A movement both within and without of Netheril to convert the people to something other then Shar's ways. We know from the Sembia article in FRCG that there are people who only on the surface worship Shar. It is possible that the gods (especially Selune but also others, I can see Bane 'working' together with the more benine gods to get a powerful hold on them) would have been working on this during the hundred years.

This can work with out Selunarra, with a reduced Selunarra (let's say Shar attack and destroyed the city itself, or the full city in the realms.

Just a quick idea...

Hmmm I like this idea. It could be interesrting to find hidden enclaves of humans with netherese heritage still holding to or keeping alive the traditions of the fallen Realm.

As for the concept of retconning, upon further review of the Netheril box set, it would seem to be that making the population of Shade, if not Shadow himself, Shar worshippers the "retcon". There is no reference to Shar worship anywhere in the description of Shade and its masters. I do acccept the posibility that Shar, by usurping shadow magic into the shadow weave could have ensnared Shadow/Telamont to here devices (although I find it unlikely again because Netherse Arcanists had no "use" for the gods) but he could have been tricked as she took over that type of magic, like a virus working her evil ways into his mind.

So as to not threadjack this topic any further, I like the true netheril idea and Shade itself is only one enclave, albeit a true enclave of past Netheril as a flying city, and the forces of true Netheril would be indeed greatly challenged to combat the Shades. Selunnara or the survivors of said realm could be a focal point for the movement.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  22:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Thanks for taking my whole first paragraph and eloquently describing it as "forced symmetry". Well done. Brevity is a virtue

Heh, you're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Skelessdelradris
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  15:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Skelessdelradris's Homepage Send Skelessdelradris a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just a strange thought.... We all know how keen Shade is on re-creating the Netherese Empire and taking it to new heights... Shade Enclave gives them a very powerful edge in dealing with enemies and allies alike. When they resurrected Sakkors they probably gained a great deal of additional power by having two enclaves to in air.
Wouldnt it be interesting if they could get thier hands on Opus? I'm sure Opus is filled with magical knowledge, spellcraft and all sorts of goodies from the height of Netheril. Not to mention the Enclave itself.

MTLBiceps

--------------
Skelessdelradris
Sage and scholar
of ancient Netheril

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2008 :  03:17:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3.5, I was interested in Opus potentially taking on Thultanthar a bit too late, and so being unable to defeat it, but then retreating to another Selune-friendly region, in this case, shooting all the way down south to Unther and rallying the Nanna-Sin worshipers from that region to their banner and reclaiming Unther as a "good" nation, especially if the newly reinforced Unther was under the banner of Nanna-Sin (now Selune), Marduk (now Bahamut), and Ramman (now Anhur).

Its just detailing the trip from Anauroch to Unther that becomes a bit daunting.
Go to Top of Page

Skelessdelradris
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Skelessdelradris's Homepage Send Skelessdelradris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just a quick idea...

Hmmm I like this idea. It could be interesrting to find hidden enclaves of humans with netherese heritage still holding to or keeping alive the traditions of the fallen Realm.

As for the concept of retconning, upon further review of the Netheril box set, it would seem to be that making the population of Shade, if not Shadow himself, Shar worshippers the "retcon". There is no reference to Shar worship anywhere in the description of Shade and its masters. I do acccept the posibility that Shar, by usurping shadow magic into the shadow weave could have ensnared Shadow/Telamont to here devices (although I find it unlikely again because Netherse Arcanists had no "use" for the gods) but he could have been tricked as she took over that type of magic, like a virus working her evil ways into his mind.

So as to not threadjack this topic any further, I like the true netheril idea and Shade itself is only one enclave, albeit a true enclave of past Netheril as a flying city, and the forces of true Netheril would be indeed greatly challenged to combat the Shades. Selunnara or the survivors of said realm could be a focal point for the movement.

I also like the idea of a true Netheril returning... Ancient Netheril was composed of many different people, beliefs and views on how the empire should exist. Some of the arcanists were good, some bad. I liked that the empire was composed of both segments... some of the Enclaves were havens of justice, others, darkness.

With Shade running the show who knows what the future of Netheril will become... Though 'Empire of Darkness' sounds rather proper.. :)

--------------
Skelessdelradris
Sage and scholar
of ancient Netheril

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:39:17  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This topic popped up on another thread and caused some quick thoughts.

One is that the Aasimar population of the city would have to be replaced as Devas are not capable of reproduction. So something which had to be changed (either a new race, make them a known race or mix of them like human and shifters, or some kind of template).

Also curious if people have used the return in an adventure or even the True Netheril as an adventure?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:43:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Interestingly, we know some Selūnarrans have visited Toril. It could be that they're simply keeping themselves informed about events on the Prime Material. Or maybe they're advanced scouts preparing for the eventual return of the Enclave.

Sage... can you point me to the source of this particular lore? I don't remember reading about this anywhere...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:45:06  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Interestingly, we know some Selūnarrans have visited Toril. It could be that they're simply keeping themselves informed about events on the Prime Material. Or maybe they're advanced scouts preparing for the eventual return of the Enclave.

Sage... can you point me to the source of this particular lore? I don't remember reading about this anywhere...

There was at least one Selunarran in the realms, a Blue Moon Knight in City of Splendors: Waterdeep in Third Edition.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  01:05:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

There was at least one Selunarran in the realms, a Blue Moon Knight in City of Splendors: Waterdeep in Third Edition.

Aye.

The visiting Selūnarrans I was referring to above, however, were noted in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:11:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Foxhelm and Sage! I must have missed that bit in CoS:W; it was a book I got during a hiatus from active gaming, and I didn't read the book as thoroughly as some others. I'm mystified as to how I missed the reference in LEoF, however... ...oh well... I suppose I shall have to re-read those titles again... such are the tribulations of a Realmslore scholar...

Speaking of Realmslore, Sage... you still owe me a PM... and I'll try to get something more coherent together re: the sarrukh and Katashaka in the next few days. I thought I was starting a six-day weekend today (it's still Friday here on the Canadian Pacific coast), but I got called in to work today, Sunday, and Monday after someone unexpectedly quit. I won't complain about the effect on my paycheque, but I'll have to scale back my Realmslore ambitions now...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:35:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of Realmslore, Sage... you still owe me a PM... and I'll try to get something more coherent together re: the sarrukh and Katashaka in the next few days.
I'm actually tinkering a little with that now, while watching snippets of the latest Stargate Universe and Smallville episodes.

Needless to say, I'm not really getting a whole lot done, unless you think sarrukh fighting Zod while trapped on an Ancient ship called Destiny in the distant land of Katashaka makes for great Realmslore!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  17:44:48  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of late getting into this topic, but like everyone else, I was very interested to read about the existence of Selunnarra.

I think that their return would be very appropriate for this time and age during the Spellplague. I find that the Spellplague kind of signify a dark times for the Realms, especially with so many dead and missing heroes, and the Shadovar at the prime of their power again. I think the Selunnarra should return later on in a major Realms event, kind of like when the Shadovar returned in the Return of the Archwizards series.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  23:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The return of Solunarra would indeed be awesome. I doubt it'll be addressed officially, somehow, but that just means we have more juicy material for a community project. I'm sure we have a critical mass of realms nerds here to come up with some good stuff.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  16:32:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if the return of Shade can be it's own series, Selunnarra might have a chance.

However, this is probably further down the line, maybe when the Realms need to be shaken up some more. So I would assume that is when 5E comes out.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  21:45:42  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Well, if the return of Shade can be it's own series, Selunnarra might have a chance.

However, this is probably further down the line, maybe when the Realms need to be shaken up some more. So I would assume that is when 5E comes out.

Indeed. Personally, i find the idea of Selunnarra vastly more compelling than Shade. At least the both of them could up the intrigue a bit :p

Edited by - Elfinblade on 17 May 2010 21:49:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  11:08:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though I'd really love to see them, I still doubt Selunarra will appear in 4E, because Shade is in the limelight.

As to them having their own series, probably in 5E. But I still find no good reason for their return to Toril other than to re-establish the Netherese empire and kick the Shadovar, which is a bit obvious. And whatever reason Wizards thinks of for their return, I think it'll be another RSE.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  17:05:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

<snip>And whatever reason Wizards thinks of for their return, I think it'll be another RSE.

Dennis, I think you and DDH_101 are spot-on here... 5E will come out when Wizards needs to kick Another RSE out the door...

Edit: Apologies for that pun, but when I saw scribe dennis' last two words (quoted above), I couldn't resist. [/edit]

Edited by - Jakk on 26 May 2010 17:06:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  05:09:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

Though I'd really love to see them, I still doubt Selunarra will appear in 4E, because Shade is in the limelight.

As to them having their own series, probably in 5E. But I still find no good reason for their return to Toril other than to re-establish the Netherese empire and kick the Shadovar, which is a bit obvious. And whatever reason Wizards thinks of for their return, I think it'll be another RSE.

I don't think they'd be interested in re-establishing the Netherese empire. It's hard to establish an empire without conquest, and I don't see the folk of Selunarra being that type. I think they'd be more likely to pick some nice tract of unclaimed land, and then quietly get in the way -- directly sometimes, and indirectly quite often -- of the Shades.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  05:43:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think they'd be interested in re-establishing the Netherese empire. It's hard to establish an empire without conquest, and I don't see the folk of Selunarra being that type. I think they'd be more likely to pick some nice tract of unclaimed land, and then quietly get in the way -- directly sometimes, and indirectly quite often -- of the Shades.

I like to think that they'd align themselves with the Harpers, establishing a base of operations for them in the city.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000