Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  21:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Bruce Campbell as a Paladin. That would amuse me.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  21:34:31  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm I think maybe Peter Cushing could work as a Szamm Tam as well.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  02:40:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent choice.

Anyway I have noticed a tendancy in this scroll to shy away from addressing actors to the roles of Danilo Thann and Arilyn Moonblade. Anybody have any thoughts about this?.

I find Thann a particularly difficult character to cast simply because of his personality and charisma as portrayed in the books. Let's start with suggestions for him first.

Thoughts?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ox
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  04:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Ox's Homepage Send Ox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is kind of a tough one. I think that Jet Li could pull it off.
As for Thann and Arilyn... Umm how about Owen Wilson for Danilo and either Angelina Jolie or Cameron Diaz for Arilyn?

Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Edited by - Ox on 23 Jul 2003 04:28:31
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  04:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owen Willson and Cameron Diaz? No thanks.

Jolie is the only person I've thought so far who might be able to pull it off. Of course, I've only seen her in Tomb Raider, but that's the sort of attitude Arilyn has. Or at least the closest I can think of. She's a hard person to place without actual auditions.

As for Thann . . . well, I said that Cary Grant could have done it in his younger days. Perhaps also Kenneth Branaugh. He's famous for taking on characters so well you never think "That's Kenneth Branaugh, actor" instead of "That's [insert name of character]." I first saw him as Bennedick in Much Ado About Nothing (a wonderful adaptation, by the way). The only non-Shakespearian role I know of him is also (now) the most famous, of course: Lockhart from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  05:33:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought of Arilyn as Lucy Lawless. She seemed to have the right features. And when Xena was not being goofy, I actually pictured arilyn alot like Xena.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  05:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xena? You're kidding, right?

Of course, I admit I'm biased. I hated that show.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  07:09:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Xena , is a bad idea, that show was just all wrong from the start.

As for Kenneth Branaugh, well I think Much Ado About Nothing, and the remake of Frankenstein, are the only two films I have ever watched that have him as a character. I'll admit that is not enough to be completely objective about his choice for Danilo, but from the material I have seen I believe he could play that role pretty convincingly, at least in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  10:34:58  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well Kenneth is an excellent choice, for most roles, but i think he should be chosen for the role of someone particlurly charismatic.

I mena he was Bennedickt, he was frankenstein. He was also, however, next to sir Laurens Olivier, the best ever Hamlet, and he also plays what most people consider to be a character who defines evil, ie Iago in Shakespeare's Othello. He plays the role masterfully. He can eb good or bad, or goofy (lockhart)

Tough to choose, as he could be just about anyone, including an Elminster with some makeup.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  12:19:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot about his portrayal of Iago in Othello, hmm...interesting. I especially like that tragic work, and now, after considering this portrayal, I think Branaugh could possibly be cast for several more roles, maybe even pass as a respectable Fzoul Chembryl.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Jul 2003 12:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  13:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Branaugh could probably pull off any adult male performance, especially given the sort of costume and effects capabilities they had with LotR. This guy's got talent to spare. In fact, after his successes, his role as Lockhart was a trifle disapointing -- in that he didn't get enough screen time. This guy's wasted as anything but a viewpoint character. You just naturally want the camera to be on him more often.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  15:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

An excellent choice.

Anyway I have noticed a tendancy in this scroll to shy away from addressing actors to the roles of Danilo Thann and Arilyn Moonblade. Anybody have any thoughts about this?.

I find Thann a particularly difficult character to cast simply because of his personality and charisma as portrayed in the books. Let's start with suggestions for him first.

Thoughts?.

Christian Slater could do Danilo Thann. He has the Charisma.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Osmo
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  01:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Osmo's Homepage Send Osmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo Thane thats a tough one I'll have to get back to that one. Drizzt, well I would still have to say the role would be acted perfectly by Wesly Snipes. He's only one freaky wig away from the role. Back to Danilo a guy by the name of Johnny Farnem could pull the role off if he could act. They are very similar in looks and attitudes but..The acting part I dont know. Arylin Moonblade..Now that was a good book.(Moonblade) Angelina Jollie is GREAT looking but isn't the look for Arylin. Lucy lui would look good as the fit Arylin and with some weapons training would fit the role.

I'm Tae Fisher..The loveable rogue.:)
Go to Top of Page

Osmo
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  01:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Osmo's Homepage Send Osmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And lets not forgett Val Kilmer. The guy is an excellent actor and could suit himself to most roles.(maybe a little too much)

I'm Tae Fisher..The loveable rogue.:)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  04:23:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never really enjoyed any of his material, especially after the abyssmal failure of his portrayal as Batman.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2003 04:23:56
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  06:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Val Kilmer is a great actor for what he does. I mean, Mad Martigan (Willow)was a great character. And I swear he actually channeled Jim Morrison in The Doors movie. I just can't see him as any character in the Realms, though.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  06:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Willow -- now there was a good old fantasy movie. Too bad the sequel book tanked something awful.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  08:10:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Willow was a film I'll admit that I have never watched. Hmm...I wonder whether there is a DVD equivalent now.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  09:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You young'uns . . . always wanting the DVDs . . . why, in my day, our TVs were made of stone! Hand-carved! Uphill, too -- both ways!

(Actually, I only got a DVD player less than a year ago.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:32:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have had my DVD for over a year-and-a-half, and it has been indeed costly re-purchasing all my favorite films...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Willow was a film I'll admit that I have never watched. Hmm...I wonder whether there is a DVD equivalent now.

Yeah Willow is out as a special edition DVD. An excellent fantasy movie, a little cheesey in places but a very enjoyable watch

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  11:47:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great. Thanks for the information Rad. I feel a little silly now that I have admitted not actually watching it .

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  19:52:45  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Osmo

Danilo Thane thats a tough one I'll have to get back to that one. Drizzt, well I would still have to say the role would be acted perfectly by Wesly Snipes. He's only one freaky wig away from the role. Back to Danilo a guy by the name of Johnny Farnem could pull the role off if he could act. They are very similar in looks and attitudes but..The acting part I dont know. Arylin Moonblade..Now that was a good book.(Moonblade) Angelina Jollie is GREAT looking but isn't the look for Arylin. Lucy lui would look good as the fit Arylin and with some weapons training would fit the role.

I think if they put Wesley Snipes in the Forgotten Realms movie I would actually NOT go see it. I can't stand that guy. I often blow off movies simply because it has an actor I can't stand in it, like John Travolta. I did see Pulp Fiction finally after people were harassing me about it, and I found it completely average and not worth my time. Though Pulp Fiction was slightly better than Blade.

Lucy Lu as Arilyn is a great choice, though I would still like to see Angelina Jolie play SOMETHING. Who is Johnny Farnem?

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  19:59:13  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I have had my DVD for over a year-and-a-half, and it has been indeed costly re-purchasing all my favorite films...

I ONLY have a VCR because the Star Wars movies are not out on DVD yet. otherwise I have no use for a VCR, except to record Documentaries for my class. I was in a speech class once and I remember the teacher said I had to record myself. I told her it was impossible because I did not own a cassette player. I think I would die if i had to watch all those movies again on VCR tapes, FAST FORWARDING, REWINDING, UGGGH!!!! IT was so full of labor to watch a movie on VCR:) Old clunky machines, probably couldn't even do the Kessel Run in a descent amount of time.

I can't say I agree with Willow being a good movie. Any movie that has to use midgets for a special race is bound to fail (umm except for the OOMPA LOOMPAs). Mad Mardigan WAS a good character though and I thought a saving grace for a very bland movie. Though a character named MAD MARDIGAN has a certain cliche CHEESE factour to it. And what's up with those dire wolf-rats, STOOPID. I owned it on VCR though, I bought it when I was in high school. I have not felt it necessary to replace that movie with a DVD version.

Edited by - Mournblade on 26 Jul 2003 20:00:46
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  11:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! Willow wasn't a fantasy Citizen Kane, but it was a good attempt. A very good one, if you ask me. Yes, there was a lot of cheese. Yes, the FX were obvious. But this was very good for the budget they had, not to mention the technology level. If they did it today, I think it would solve most of your issues with it. (No, I'm not suggesting they do a remake.)

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  21:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bookwyrm!
Willow was good for what it was. It never tried to take itself seriously, and that was what made it good. It was strictly a fantasy type of movie in that if you're going to believe in little people called Nelwith's, then you can believe in vicious rat-dogs too.

I'm sorry Mournblade, but people like you can really get on my nerves with how you analyze something to death like that. Not that I'm criticizing you for doing it, it's probably just your nature to do so being a scientist by profession, but in doing so you can really take the joy and wonder out of things like that. I think you miss the whole point of movies or series like these, which is to just let your imagination take you to another place and time that doesn't have to follow "real world" rules. They don't call it FANTASY or science-FICTION for nothing, you know. I actually enjoyed the D&D movie for this reason. Granted, it was a pretty cheesy flick, but it had it's good parts.

I'll agree that Star Trek has gotten completely out of hand with the techno-speak saving the day in the end. It's not even making sense in the Trek universe anymore, which is why I don't bother with Enterprise, but I still enjoy watching TOS, NextGen and Voyager, and (most) of the movies.

FYI - I have a very close friend who has the exact same attitude as you towards this subject, and not surprisingly, he is also a scientist (chemist by profession), and not surprisingly, we have arguments all the time about this.
Also not surprisingly, we don't go to the movies or watch television together.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  01:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danillo Thann could be Bruce Campbell (The King of Thieves(?)on the Xena and Hercules Series)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enterprise is actually pretty good as far as science goes. That is, it doesn't bother with new not-quite-explanations. About the only things I get annoyed about with it are the technobabble words -- if I was an alcohol guy, I could do a drinking game with that bit. One drink every time someone says 'recalibrate' . . . two every time someone says 'initialize.'

And there's the fact that they've got the pretty Vulcan in a skintight jumpsuit; haven't seen another Vulcan dressed like that. And then there's the episode where there was a mining outpost -- mining deuterium, of all things. And in a liquid form, too. (For the non-physicist, deuterium is also known as heavy hydrogen; it's hydrogen with a neutron, which means it's about twice as heavy. And any temperature that deuterium is a liquid at is not one you want to be in without some NASA- (or Starfleet-) issue long johns.)

Okay, it ain't perfect. But it does focus more on the story than on "hey, that's a cool idea!" moments. Which is a relief.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  06:06:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Thank you Bookwyrm!
Willow was good for what it was. It never tried to take itself seriously, and that was what made it good. It was strictly a fantasy type of movie in that if you're going to believe in little people called Nelwith's, then you can believe in vicious rat-dogs too.

I'm sorry Mournblade, but people like you can really get on my nerves with how you analyze something to death like that. Not that I'm criticizing you for doing it, it's probably just your nature to do so being a scientist by profession, but in doing so you can really take the joy and wonder out of things like that. I think you miss the whole point of movies or series like these, which is to just let your imagination take you to another place and time that doesn't have to follow "real world" rules. They don't call it FANTASY or science-FICTION for nothing, you know. I actually enjoyed the D&D movie for this reason. Granted, it was a pretty cheesy flick, but it had it's good parts.

I'll agree that Star Trek has gotten completely out of hand with the techno-speak saving the day in the end. It's not even making sense in the Trek universe anymore, which is why I don't bother with Enterprise, but I still enjoy watching TOS, NextGen and Voyager, and (most) of the movies.

FYI - I have a very close friend who has the exact same attitude as you towards this subject, and not surprisingly, he is also a scientist (chemist by profession), and not surprisingly, we have arguments all the time about this.
Also not surprisingly, we don't go to the movies or watch television together.

HAH HAH! Yes Yasraena I have heard that particular criticism before. In fact often. Tonight actually from my girlfriend. I went to see Tomb Raider II (WHAT A MISTAKE!) such a bad inconsistent movie. Half way through the movie she turned to me and said : "you hate this right?" With fantasy movies though I am actually not that harsh on, in the technical aspect. I just thought the Wolf-rats looked dumb that was my gripe. And I thought Willow as a movie WAS dumb. Not because of any technical thingy I just thought it was really cheesy. There are plenty of cheesy B movies I actually do like, willow was just not one of them.

And for the record I did not HATE the D&D movie. I just haven't bought it on DVD. I do like science fiction, but Star Trek just annoys me. I watch and like movies like FLASH GORDON, and KRULL. OH YEAH... and Sword and the Sorcerer, so I can't be THAT bad! And so far I liked every movie of the summer EXCEPT for Tomb Raider II.

VERY VERY BAD. ONE real good shot of ANgelina though in the beginning.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  06:18:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explain to me, these wolf-rats Mournblade.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000