Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  02:30:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well put Bookwyrm. I am pleased with everything I just read in that post.

And just as a matter of note, I have read Physics of Star Trek. I had at first declined my original idea to even pick it up in a bookstore and have a casual glance. However I become so intrigued by what was actually written in it, that I immediately went back to the bookstore to purchase a copy.

It was indeed well worth it in the end, I must say.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Jul 2003 02:31:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  02:31:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have just purchased copies of The Biology of Star Trek, and The Metaphysics of Star Trek. The first seemed almost as good as the book by Lawrence Krauss (notice that I did say almost), however I found that it still did not explain in detail (at least for me) what I really expected to read, and that was proper real-life biological principles handled with regards to Star Trek. I have at present not read the second book. I am presently finishing up (between exams) Einstein's Miraculous Year, a tome that collects together all his original 1905 papers, and a special appendix detailing the principles of the 1916 paper on general relativity.

I must recommend this book to all you are interested in reading Einstein's original masterpieces. It is published by Princeton press and has a special forward by Sir Roger Penrose. Of course it must also be noted that you have to understand the mathematics and general mechanics presented in the papers, however the 20 page introductions to the papers are well worth the effort of purchasing the book anyway since they provide a fascinating insight into what exactly Einstein was thinking when he originally wrote each of the papers.

Anyway...

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  06:37:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Zimeros, I was not online again today until now...

Bookwyrm I have read the books you speak of:) I read the Physics and Biology of Star Trek. The Biology of Star Trek was a bit weak, but I might be saying that becasue I am a biologist and NOT a physicist. Maybe a physicist would say the same of Physics of Star Trek. They were both good books.

Zimeros sorry there is no FORGOTTEN REALMS Movie, I am jsut making a made up thing here.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  06:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to look into that. I've never actually read the originals. I'm also pretty good at visualizing it all, more so than most people I know. My only problem is when people throw in math. That's when I start feeling like the ground under me has been the subject of a transmute rock to mud spell. (Fortunately, I've heard rumors that Einstein was the same way.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  06:51:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you ever read What if the Moon Didn't Exist?, by Neil F. Comins? As the subtitle (Voyages to Earths that Might Have Been) suggests, it's an exploration on how things might have turned out differently; an Earth with no moon, a bigger moon, a smaller sun, a nearby nova . . . it's something to pick up if you're interested in that sort of thing.

And it would even have some relevance for DMs who want to make really crazy worlds.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  06:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I saw The Tonight Show a little while ago. Sean Connery was on. It's the first time I've seen him in a non-acting situation (not being a star-chaser). I think that, yes, he could do Azoun. But he would also make a very good Elminster, better than I had thought beforehand.

He has a roguish charm, just like Elminster, and an accent that is sufficiently "off" of other characters (so I would assume) that it would fit in with how Elminster has lived for many centuries. He would have learned to speak in a language now dead, except in his memory, and its ways would be shown in how he speaks Common today.

(He was promoting Gentlemen, of course. The scene they showed had, I think, one line in the whole thing. It was a fight scene. Looked cool. Are they fighting the Phantom of the Opera, though?)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Bookwyrm I have read the books you speak of:) I read the Physics and Biology of Star Trek. The Biology of Star Trek was a bit weak, but I might be saying that becasue I am a biologist and NOT a physicist. Maybe a physicist would say the same of Physics of Star Trek. They were both good books.

Well, there you go, bursting my bubble . . . and here I thought I'd be introducing you to something new.

Physics is good, though. Very good. Professor Willams has it in his office at the college, and he is also an astrophysicist, just on a smaller scale than Krauss. (Mostly because he prefers this job. Low-key, intimate groups. No big universities.)

However, you noting that you are primarily a biologist has me curious. You said someone in your class said (at least once) that they said something different on Star Trek. I would have expected that in a physics course, but I assume you teach biology. What was the question, if I may ask here?

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:13:04  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Well, there you go, bursting my bubble . . . and here I thought I'd be introducing you to something new.

Physics is good, though. Very good. Professor Willams has it in his office at the college, and he is also an astrophysicist, just on a smaller scale than Krauss. (Mostly because he prefers this job. Low-key, intimate groups. No big universities.)

However, you noting that you are primarily a biologist has me curious. You said someone in your class said (at least once) that they said something different on Star Trek. I would have expected that in a physics course, but I assume you teach biology. What was the question, if I may ask here?

Actually there is alot of Biology in star trek. ANd the question they were talking of had to do with half clingons. If it would be theoretically possible. They als oasked me about the phage which I think is completely ludicrous. ACTUALLY since I know the Biology REALLY well, and the physics only marginally well, my problem with Star Trek comes from the biology. Half-anything bothers me for one. (Not including fantasy) One episode will talk about how a Clingon has dual body systems, and the next series has a HALF clingon in it. HOW? WHY? I can accept half vulcan but still, the half anything has caused me enough grief in class as I explain, species that are too far removed can no longer mate. It throws my evolution lessons all askew. We can BARELY get a Horse and a Donkey to mate, or a HOrse and Zebra. How is a clingon with redically incompatable body systems going to mate with a human? Beats me. I'll leave that speculation for the scientifically UNtrained.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
INDEED! I've always found that highly annoying. I've actually found half-elves to be annoying as well, but more in a sense of "y'know, that shouldn't be possible" (along with half-genie, half-dragon, etc.), before thinking "Hey, it's fantasy. I need to lighten up."

But yes. The fact that Torres was "half-Klingon" was something that often got on my nerves. Same with Spock. (Actually, Spock was more so for a while. How could something with copper-based blood mate with and produce an offspring by something with iron-based blood? It just didn't fit.)

In my fanfic, I am forced to accept it. I'm forced to work with it. I have to, since it's set on Voyager. I don't like it though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:32:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I do have a copy of What if the Moon Didn't Exist? here although I have not read it yet. Between fiction, non fiction, textbooks and gaming materials, i find very little time to start something new until everything I am reading at the moment is actually finished.

In a similar fashion though, I remember reading a book written by Martin Rees that examined the infinite possibilities that would result had the 6 universally accepted numerical aspects of the universe been any different from what they actually are. Everything from quarks (all flavors and directions) to stars and galaxies could all have been vastly different, or in some cases never existed. All of these objects are affected by six measurements of specific accurancy. They include - the strength of electrical forces in atoms, the binding force of atmoic nuclei, the measure of both observable and non-observable material (galaxies, diffuse gas, dark matter), cosmic 'antigravity', the measure of the energy fabric of the universe, and finally the number of actual spatial dimensions.

It is a fascinating read, and like the book you mentioned opens up amazing possibilities into the creation of vastly different dimensions and realms with which to use as a background for campaigns, whether fantasy, like Spelljammer, or sci-fi like Star Wars. Imagine a universe that exists for only 6 minutes, or another universe that, instead of expanding is instead collapsing into the singularity point from which it had originally began.

The book also contains a number of cases studies performed by physicists on the principles of quantum teleportation, information theory (which delves into the realms of quantum computation and computer programming) and the early research conducted at CERN (home of the famous Bell's Inequality experiments) on CP violation and the aspects of local (with regards to the observer) reality that is disturbed at the quantum level.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:36:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, would you consider allowing me to see this fanfic you mentioned?. That is, in case you still have it. It sounds very interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's a piece of (*&^. Mostly, anyway. I suppose I've been referring to it like it were a current project. The answer's 'no,' but not because I don't want to share it. I just don't want to share it as it is. See, I wrote most of it down in notes that are hard to follow. And the actual fanfic starts out with the (*&^ piece of (*&^ in the whole thing. Pardon my (*&^.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, since I now have a potential audience, I suppose I might clean up a few things. At the very least write a summery, which I can't hardly post here. Alaudo's been nice about us chatting on Library time, but I don't want to try him too far.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:50:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can definitely agree with both your thoughts on 'half-anything'. One thing from reading about evolution and the origin of the species (I am not talking about the book), is that you can absolutely appreciate the inaccuracies portrayed in both fantasy and sci-fi.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:51:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The same could also be said of the potential for mutants (not the X-men) which suffers from a similar problem in same portrayals. The Dark Matter campaign setting for example attributes some mutates and mutant-bred creatures to be the result of experimental accidents or exposure to violent energies and chemicals. Now while this may have a basis in the true biological aspects of mutation, never anywhere in any of the creature's descriptions does it take into account the proper definition of mutation as the (random) alteration in the arrangement of the genetic material of a cell.

It was one (of several science-related) reasons that I found myself eventually declining even to acknowledge that I had in my possession any Dark Matter gaming material.

When the StarDrive setting was released this improved on the scientific related basis for the setting a little, but eventually result to similar tactics familiar to those who watch Star Trek.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortunately, you can always have a freer mind when it's fantasy. It's not supposed to be based in fact, while SF is.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:53:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you provide the summary then...at least. Transport it by ethereal mail, if it looks like it may cause problems here.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That last post remided me of another story. This one was a fantasy outgrowth of thinking about mutant powers. I only have the prologue (the rest being lost due to a tragic accident; yes, to a writer having all your stories destroyed, even by accident, is tragic), but it was supposed to be a story of political intrigue in an alternate Earth.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:56:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark Matter is not classic fantasy. It is actually classed as a sci-fi setting, a part of the Alternity Campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Could you provide the summary then...at least. Transport it by ethereal mail, if it looks like it may cause problems here.

I'll do that. When I have a chance to write it up, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:59:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I look forward to it.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  20:49:45  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STAR DRIVE for the most pat was pretty good. I really think the shame is though that Alternity was just an EXPERIMENT for the d20 system. There are alot of elements that are similar. I SO wish they kept that system. It eventually did degenerate into star trekkishness, but I find it easier to ignore when it is not in print. NO matter what, whether it is fantasy, comics, or sci fi there is this trend to make HALF BREEDS. WHY? I mena I like half elves, and half orcs, it is fantasy after all and I guess a Uruk hai is actually a half orc. But WHY must we have HALF things? Like BLADE. A half vampire!!!!! Why not just make him a vampire? HOw annoying. Half dragons annoy me but I can at least say that MAGIC made it happen, though it is still a bad idea.what if a HAlf Dragon mates with a half giant. And then what happens when that offspring mates with a half-lich and a half-halfling. And then what when that offspring mates with a half-aurumvorax and a half-bullete. BY GOD MAN! THere will be nothing but GOOOOOO left!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  01:45:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there was talk back when the Alternity and StarDrive settings were still in print to take the StarDrive setting out of the Alternity campaign, and create a separate campaign setting with it's own mechanics, if I am not mistaken. I have a thread about it from a Gamma World forum from two years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  23:09:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you post a link to that sage?

I would like to see that. Alternity was a great idea. GREAT GREAT game. I wish they would bring Star Frontiers back!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  02:00:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with that. I enjoyed Star Frontiers about as much as I enjoyed the first edition on the Alternity setting.

Anyway, that thread I mentioned, it wasn't from a Gamma World forum, it was from the Alternity 3e site that is currently undergoing a server move. Mournblade I will provide a temporary server link, which may still include all the old forums, but until the move is complete, a lot of the site cannot be accessed. Anyway you will see for yourself.

Oh...and since you mentioned Star Frontiers Mournblade, here is something I contribute to, on an irregular basis, that you may find interesting.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2003 02:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  06:23:26  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much sage! That kicks the proverbial derrier!

Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  06:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa....its been a long time since I posted anything....and I think all of this side talk and names of actors that I don't know has me somewhat confused. *shakes head to clear her thoughts* Okay. Here goes.

Khelben, Elminster: I agree with what everyone else has said.
Orlando Bloom as any of the male elves. Probably Elaith or Zaknafein.
Billy Boyd as Regis.
John Rhys-Davies as Bruenor. (Because I can't think of anyone else at the moment).
Johnny Depp as Artemis
Cattie-brie, Arilyn, and Danilo Thann I'm still thinking about.

If I think of anymore, I'll post them up later.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie

Edited by - Sadonayerah Odrydin on 22 Jul 2003 06:36:15
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  07:31:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Billy Boyd ???.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  15:18:44  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the girl from Pirates of the Carribian, Keira Knightly, would make a great Catti Bree.

Geoffry Rush would make a good Mirt.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  19:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Billy Boyd ???.

He played Pippin (Peregrin Took) on Lord of the Rings.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000