Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What do you prefer?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  23:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering what type of character you all like to make.

1) What type of alignment?
2) What type or race?
3) Do believe that the pen is mighter then the sword?

Well, thats all.

Edited by - Alaundo on 16 Aug 2003 17:31:43

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  02:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hrm... well let's see... often i'd go with either chaotic good/neutral... bad tempers always get the better of me :P hehe...
of course i'd go with drow, normally...
and pen vs. sword... depends on the situation... one on one a pen would be cut in two by most swords... but in the hands of a skilled rogue... a pen can backstab a sword's wielder... before the sword is lifted... hehe

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  16:12:53  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally play a neutral alignment either good or evil depending on the class. If I play a fighter or cleric then I am NG but if I play a thief or wizard then it is NE.

As for the race it depends. Mostly Half-Elven

The pen is mightier than the sword for it is history that will remember or forget the hero or villian.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Horgesh
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  15:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Horgesh's Homepage Send Horgesh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Usually Chaotic Good, but it can vary. My current character is Lawful Good and my next will be Neutral Good. I guess I prefer more traditional notions of the hero.

2)Human would be my race of choice, I suppose; though half-elves and gnomes are always fun..then there are half-ogres..

3)The pen is mightier, but the sword is more fun.

Battle fever. I am half a man and drunk with slaughter, let them kill me if they can! -George R. R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  00:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I m usualy cha/neu rouge
ý prefer human
I believe they both are useful for right motivation
But for me I usualy use a sneak attack to confort my foes' pain

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  07:19:20  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see... Hmmmm
1) Usually Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Evil ( Makes things easier)
2) Half-orc sometimes human
3) Sword beats pen, but Pencil beats sword.... why? Cause all you need is to jab it deep and the other person dies of lead poisoning

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  17:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Chaotic Nuetral Because they don't care about anything really.
2. I like Half- orcs but i enjoy the Fey'ri as well
3. I prefer to carry both never know when you loose your sword and need and extra weapon. a pen through the eye socket is not a pat on the Arse.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2003 :  21:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1)Any.
2)Never dwarves, halflings, gnomes, or half-orcs. Some assorted monstrous characters.
3)Depending on the character.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  00:39:02  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(1)Any Good,though Lawful Good is hard.
(2)Half-Orc,Dwarves,Human
(3)The pen can make you a villian or hero long after the deeds are done,the sword has rusted away and you have died.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  08:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Lawful Evil, Lawful Neutral or Neutral Evil.
2) Human, Kobold or Elven.
3) Try signing a business contract or writing a scroll or comapny accounts with a sword and you'll know the answer.

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2003 :  17:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can be comfortable with any alignment but evil. Need some more practice before I can shrug off my goody-two-shoes nature.

For race, I think either human (usually) or half-elven. I could do most, but those are the biggies. Well, except for half-orc. Too dumb for me; I like intelligent characters.

For class, I obviously wouldn't want the barbarian. I prefer characters with more skill. Wizard, rogue, fighter (but like my latest character), monk, or paladin. Though the paladin, to me, is more of a spiritual character, more so than any other core class.

And as for the pen/sword debate . . . well, you can guess. Besides, you can have both. My latest character is an intellectual sort of person, but has no compunctions against drawing his rapier and dealing a little non-fatal harm here and there. (But so far, he hasn't killed anyone, and won't do it unless he has to.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2003 :  07:49:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,

For alignment, I would say that any non-chaotic non-evil alignment is suitable, at least from a Wizard and/or cleric's perspective. On the rare occassion that I have played a non-wizard PC, the tendency for chaotic, or even evil alignment suitability slides a little. Fighters and barbarians are less inclined to be lawful, and/or good, so in the case of these classes I would say Chaotic Neutral.

As for race, well that is really dependent upon the setting. For most campaign settings, Human or Elf, and for the Dragonlance setting (especially post 3e) - Tinker Gnome or Irda.

And finally, as for the eternal debate over pen or sword...well at times a programmer would love access to the sword, especially when he cannot find that one little bug in the code that prevents the entire program from working ...but being a person more resolved to refrain from such actions, I would have to say that the pen is indeed the mightiest of the two. Afterall, the pen (or rather pencil) is what helps to draw up the code in draft form first, and also makes it easier to find the bug in the program when things do go your way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2003 07:49:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000