Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Another FR Preview
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eiglos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  11:18:21  Show Profile Send eiglos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the new threats this time:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080722a

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  11:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting but, as has often been the case, missing motivation. Why do they want to extend their network? What are they after? Are they a trade union for guardian undead? ("And now, oh Dark Lord, we come to the issue of breaks. Our members feel that at least once an eon ...") Do they want to ultimately turn the whole world to undeath? What are their goals?

On the other hand, it does suggest the ritual "Walk the paths of the undead", a seventh level ritual that allows you to see and travel along those routes - with an Arcana check which determines the outcome and travel time: fail badly and you'll end up somewhere random on the network ("Hello Mr Lich, um, just passing through, don't mind me ..."), succeed well and you'll get there really quickly.

Edited by - Colman on 22 Jul 2008 11:59:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  12:20:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That, too, was not only underwhelming, but totally lacking in anything resembling Realmslore.

These previews are really not that great. I'm fearing that the FRCG is going to be page after page of bland info like this... It's really quite depressing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  12:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it is part of the stuff coming in from Abeir, so I'm not sure what Realmslore you'd expect attached to it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  15:29:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

Well, it is part of the stuff coming in from Abeir, so I'm not sure what Realmslore you'd expect attached to it.

Something that made it feel like it was even a part of the setting would be good. Other than a token reference to some evil groups, there was nothing at all Realms-ish about this one.

I would have been happy if there was an expanded section on their goals, a discussion on how they were spreading across the Realms, a blurb about the opposition from the church of Kelemvor...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  15:32:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That, too, was not only underwhelming, but totally lacking in anything resembling Realmslore.

These previews are really not that great. I'm fearing that the FRCG is going to be page after page of bland info like this... It's really quite depressing.

-Yeah I am getting that feeling too.

-So is 'Returned Abeir' going to take up space in the FRCG?

-I hope not. I guess thats why certain parts are getting the axe.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  16:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, OK but where's their motivation, enemies and allies? You know, the details I would need to know where this organization fits into a game and the setting itself.
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was pretty clear that Returned Abeir was going to be in the FRCG. Wasn't that the bit that someone (Ed Greenwood?) said they were having fun with?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, I didn't find anything Realmish about this excerpt at all, except for some name-dropping. Underwhelming (and I don't care if what I just said bothers anybody).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Jul 2008 18:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm imagine that anyone who cares is already resigned to getting that response no matter what they do now. <shrug>
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

I'm imagine that anyone who cares is already resigned to getting that response no matter what they do now. <shrug>

Wanna bet? I beg to differ with you, based on a few posts I've seen in the past few days, including one I just responded to a few minutes ago.

And now, back to topic.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:14:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bizzarly enough, this ties in nicely to something I'm working on, concerning 'Death Knights' (formerly Jergal's Knights), and the Knights of the Eternal Dragon located in the Castle of Al'Hanar.

Anyhow, even though I can use this, I can't help but see the similarities to this piece of Lore and the next expansion to WoW (Wrath of the Lich King), which is due to be released soon.

Note: Watch the trailer on that link - its worth the effort, and I find the new 'Death Knight' class so relevant to this piece of FR lore.

Watching that makes me want to play again... almost.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jul 2008 20:52:24
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was alright. Somewhat reminiscent of Cult of the Dragon. The thing about crypts and tombs being part of their domain reminds me of Thay's trade missions. An organization of undead - there's a great deal they can't do for themselves. So I guess they must have many retainers, like vampires do. Not all that distinctive.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:20:34  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But that is the new concept in RPGS ... They must be quick without so much info and background and lore which tires the new player and he plays always ONLINE RPGS and Wizards are losing customers ...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:40:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

quote:

But that is the new concept in RPGS ... They must be quick without so much info and background and lore which tires the new player and he plays always ONLINE RPGS and Wizards are losing customers ...

-True, so true!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone on the Paizo boards has pointed out that there is another factor to be taken into consideration: the upcomming living realms. Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 22 Jul 2008 19:13:07
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  19:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Mystra forfend that one actually wants to tell a story with other people in their living room and doesn't care about hacking monsters into gibblets *gasp, shock, horror*

*sigh* damn hope springing eternal... I wish my hope spring would dry up on this
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  19:12:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Someone on the Paizo boards has pointed out that there is another factor to be taken in consideration: the upcomming living realms. Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

-I have been using the BLAMETHROWER on the Living Realms for awhile on the WotC Boards. No one wants to listen to me of course. I read that same thread.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  20:59:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what you've been saying is that they've produced an 'idiot-proof' setting this time around?

Trust me, 'idiots' are amazing - they'll figure out how to break it anyway.

I have to admit, weather I like the new stuff or hate it (about 50/50 for both the setting and the rules), most of the new sourcebooks are reading like generic fantasy lore - it doesn't feel like the Realms, or any other particular place for that matter. Its like they are purposely going out of their way to make everything they write 'portable' to any world...

Oh... wait... they said thats exactly what they were doing...

Good job, then.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:21:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That actually looks like armour, rather than sculpture/Citadel miniature/overdesigned movie costume.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

Bleh!

This dumbing down of the realms, making it Forgettable Realms Lite is just so pathetic. If people don't want to learn about the details, they won't. Yet why make it simple and reletively unintersting to those who like detail?

Meh, Hasbro are pulling WotC's strings and its clear that they want D&D to be a product which they are familiar with and that it gets remade for the demigraphic which they know and are comfortable dealing with which is children aged from roughly 13 downwards.

No room for the more sophisticated & veteran players here.

Apply for your partial lobotomy today so you too can enjoy $E FR!

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 23 Jul 2008 00:48:33
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  01:14:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You know Markus you are right. WotC is making the Realms GI Proof. Its like an M-18A1 Anti-Personel Mine. Now thats idiot proof. It says front TOWARD enemy on it, so one would know which way to place it!!! That's the Four-Gotten Realms Four ya. Front TOWARDS enemy.

-Idiot Proof D&D, Idiot Proof Realms! HAH!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  07:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Someone on the Paizo boards has pointed out that there is another factor to be taken into consideration: the upcomming living realms. Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

HA! I figured that out early.... see the 4th ed thread, page 21, 11 Sept 2007!
quote:
I am beginning to think that this entire timeline jump was for the Living Realms. I have the impression that most scribes here have plenty of material from 1e/2e days and work that into their campaigns. A 100 year jump makes most of that material very obsolete. They can still game in that 100 year span or set their game whenever they want. Other gamers that don't use the Realms probably won't touch it because of their conceptions about the Realms (baggage). Read enworld and you'll see lots of comments like "this might make me look at the realms", "The Realms needed a reboot" or something. A few could purchase the book, but not enough.

But for the RPGA, it provides a clean slate. They can succeed in alienating many old-time Realms fans, and I doubt that bringing enough new ones may not cover those who leave. But they can require all RPGA members, if they want to play, to purchase the new book.

Also, not every gm can play a Chosen as a NPC, so it is easy to write them out of existence.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  10:23:59  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms : The Dumbening
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  14:17:56  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone told me that the Araunt seem a lot like the undead faction in World of Warcraft.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  14:36:13  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-You know Markus you are right. WotC is making the Realms GI Proof. Its like an M-18A1 Anti-Personel Mine. Now thats idiot proof. It says front TOWARD enemy on it, so one would know which way to place it!!! That's the Four-Gotten Realms Four ya. Front TOWARDS enemy.

-Idiot Proof D&D, Idiot Proof Realms! HAH!

BRIMSTONE

What about at night, hard to read in the dark ...an old sergeant walks away remembering a few knuckle headed soldiers back in the day...

oh yeah, topic - not sure it is a dumbing down... big changes though, smoother(IMO) game mechanics. I am going to miss huge aspects of what the realms have become for me over the past 20 + years, but I am sure many more good memories await in FR's future. I can see some of the reasoning behind the changes and similar to what someone else previously stated, I will use what I like and deal with the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:51:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thats why one side is flat and smooth, and the other side is lumpy from the words Front TOWARDS enemy. Oh yeah I am talking about GI's again right?!?!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  00:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Someone told me that the Araunt seem a lot like the undead faction in World of Warcraft.

You know, I hadn't thought about it at all, but now that you mention it, I suspect they will be a "faction" in the Living Realms... oh, my. The article was not badly written, but it lacked any real "tasty bits", and I thought the monster design was sloppy. Maybe I still don't get that 4E "design mindset" and "exception-based design", but one or two "special abilities" for 15th level monsters seem like an error? Especially if there are 5th level monsters with more HPs than the 'Direhelm'. And why give it two longswords, if there is no ability linked to them (e.g. compared to that four-armed bone golem, or whatever it was)? Yeah, if I used them, I could certainly add kewl abilities to both of the monsters, but then I would have to compare them to several other monsters to see how it should affect their defenses and level. And that would be extra work, which was supposed to be eliminated from 4E, right? Seriously, the philosophy behind 4E monster design must be crystal-clear to playtest groups and the developers, but I honestly think that there should be solid tables and guidelines to creating monsters and NPCs.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000