Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Another FR Preview

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eiglos Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 11:18:21
One of the new threats this time:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080722a
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Asgetrion Posted - 24 Jul 2008 : 00:43:00
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Someone told me that the Araunt seem a lot like the undead faction in World of Warcraft.

You know, I hadn't thought about it at all, but now that you mention it, I suspect they will be a "faction" in the Living Realms... oh, my. The article was not badly written, but it lacked any real "tasty bits", and I thought the monster design was sloppy. Maybe I still don't get that 4E "design mindset" and "exception-based design", but one or two "special abilities" for 15th level monsters seem like an error? Especially if there are 5th level monsters with more HPs than the 'Direhelm'. And why give it two longswords, if there is no ability linked to them (e.g. compared to that four-armed bone golem, or whatever it was)? Yeah, if I used them, I could certainly add kewl abilities to both of the monsters, but then I would have to compare them to several other monsters to see how it should affect their defenses and level. And that would be extra work, which was supposed to be eliminated from 4E, right? Seriously, the philosophy behind 4E monster design must be crystal-clear to playtest groups and the developers, but I honestly think that there should be solid tables and guidelines to creating monsters and NPCs.
Brimstone Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 15:51:10
-Thats why one side is flat and smooth, and the other side is lumpy from the words Front TOWARDS enemy. Oh yeah I am talking about GI's again right?!?!

BRIMSTONE
scererar Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 14:36:13
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-You know Markus you are right. WotC is making the Realms GI Proof. Its like an M-18A1 Anti-Personel Mine. Now thats idiot proof. It says front TOWARD enemy on it, so one would know which way to place it!!! That's the Four-Gotten Realms Four ya. Front TOWARDS enemy.

-Idiot Proof D&D, Idiot Proof Realms! HAH!

BRIMSTONE

What about at night, hard to read in the dark ...an old sergeant walks away remembering a few knuckle headed soldiers back in the day...

oh yeah, topic - not sure it is a dumbing down... big changes though, smoother(IMO) game mechanics. I am going to miss huge aspects of what the realms have become for me over the past 20 + years, but I am sure many more good memories await in FR's future. I can see some of the reasoning behind the changes and similar to what someone else previously stated, I will use what I like and deal with the rest.
RodOdom Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 14:17:56
Someone told me that the Araunt seem a lot like the undead faction in World of Warcraft.
RodOdom Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 10:23:59
Forgotten Realms : The Dumbening
Mkhaiwati Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 07:03:34
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Someone on the Paizo boards has pointed out that there is another factor to be taken into consideration: the upcomming living realms. Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

HA! I figured that out early.... see the 4th ed thread, page 21, 11 Sept 2007!
quote:
I am beginning to think that this entire timeline jump was for the Living Realms. I have the impression that most scribes here have plenty of material from 1e/2e days and work that into their campaigns. A 100 year jump makes most of that material very obsolete. They can still game in that 100 year span or set their game whenever they want. Other gamers that don't use the Realms probably won't touch it because of their conceptions about the Realms (baggage). Read enworld and you'll see lots of comments like "this might make me look at the realms", "The Realms needed a reboot" or something. A few could purchase the book, but not enough.

But for the RPGA, it provides a clean slate. They can succeed in alienating many old-time Realms fans, and I doubt that bringing enough new ones may not cover those who leave. But they can require all RPGA members, if they want to play, to purchase the new book.

Also, not every gm can play a Chosen as a NPC, so it is easy to write them out of existence.
Brimstone Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 01:14:55
-You know Markus you are right. WotC is making the Realms GI Proof. Its like an M-18A1 Anti-Personel Mine. Now thats idiot proof. It says front TOWARD enemy on it, so one would know which way to place it!!! That's the Four-Gotten Realms Four ya. Front TOWARDS enemy.

-Idiot Proof D&D, Idiot Proof Realms! HAH!

BRIMSTONE
Talwyn Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 00:46:46
quote:

Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

Bleh!

This dumbing down of the realms, making it Forgettable Realms Lite is just so pathetic. If people don't want to learn about the details, they won't. Yet why make it simple and reletively unintersting to those who like detail?

Meh, Hasbro are pulling WotC's strings and its clear that they want D&D to be a product which they are familiar with and that it gets remade for the demigraphic which they know and are comfortable dealing with which is children aged from roughly 13 downwards.

No room for the more sophisticated & veteran players here.

Apply for your partial lobotomy today so you too can enjoy $E FR!

Faraer Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 00:21:19
That actually looks like armour, rather than sculpture/Citadel miniature/overdesigned movie costume.
Markustay Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 20:59:05
So, what you've been saying is that they've produced an 'idiot-proof' setting this time around?

Trust me, 'idiots' are amazing - they'll figure out how to break it anyway.

I have to admit, weather I like the new stuff or hate it (about 50/50 for both the setting and the rules), most of the new sourcebooks are reading like generic fantasy lore - it doesn't feel like the Realms, or any other particular place for that matter. Its like they are purposely going out of their way to make everything they write 'portable' to any world...

Oh... wait... they said thats exactly what they were doing...

Good job, then.
Brimstone Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 19:12:36
quote:

Someone on the Paizo boards has pointed out that there is another factor to be taken in consideration: the upcomming living realms. Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.

-I have been using the BLAMETHROWER on the Living Realms for awhile on the WotC Boards. No one wants to listen to me of course. I read that same thread.

BRIMSTONE
Lady Fellshot Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 19:06:32
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

But that is the new concept in RPGS ... They must be quick without so much info and background and lore which tires the new player and he plays always ONLINE RPGS and Wizards are losing customers ...

Mystra forfend that one actually wants to tell a story with other people in their living room and doesn't care about hacking monsters into gibblets *gasp, shock, horror*

*sigh* damn hope springing eternal... I wish my hope spring would dry up on this
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 18:59:09
Someone on the Paizo boards has pointed out that there is another factor to be taken into consideration: the upcomming living realms. Maybe WotC thinks that is unbearable for new adminstrators (or whatever their title is) to study tons of realmslore to be able to direct a session. So WotC makes the new FRCS as easy to learn as possible.
Brimstone Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 18:40:37
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That, too, was not only underwhelming, but totally lacking in anything resembling Realmslore.

These previews are really not that great. I'm fearing that the FRCG is going to be page after page of bland info like this... It's really quite depressing.

But that is the new concept in RPGS ... They must be quick without so much info and background and lore which tires the new player and he plays always ONLINE RPGS and Wizards are losing customers ...

-True, so true!

BRIMSTONE
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 18:20:34
quote:

That, too, was not only underwhelming, but totally lacking in anything resembling Realmslore.

These previews are really not that great. I'm fearing that the FRCG is going to be page after page of bland info like this... It's really quite depressing.

RodOdom Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 18:16:28
It was alright. Somewhat reminiscent of Cult of the Dragon. The thing about crypts and tombs being part of their domain reminds me of Thay's trade missions. An organization of undead - there's a great deal they can't do for themselves. So I guess they must have many retainers, like vampires do. Not all that distinctive.
Markustay Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 18:14:08
Bizzarly enough, this ties in nicely to something I'm working on, concerning 'Death Knights' (formerly Jergal's Knights), and the Knights of the Eternal Dragon located in the Castle of Al'Hanar.

Anyhow, even though I can use this, I can't help but see the similarities to this piece of Lore and the next expansion to WoW (Wrath of the Lich King), which is due to be released soon.

Note: Watch the trailer on that link - its worth the effort, and I find the new 'Death Knight' class so relevant to this piece of FR lore.

Watching that makes me want to play again... almost.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 18:01:30
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

I'm imagine that anyone who cares is already resigned to getting that response no matter what they do now. <shrug>

Wanna bet? I beg to differ with you, based on a few posts I've seen in the past few days, including one I just responded to a few minutes ago.

And now, back to topic.
Colman Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 17:55:11
I'm imagine that anyone who cares is already resigned to getting that response no matter what they do now. <shrug>
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 17:51:04
Meh, I didn't find anything Realmish about this excerpt at all, except for some name-dropping. Underwhelming (and I don't care if what I just said bothers anybody).
Colman Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 17:27:08
I thought it was pretty clear that Returned Abeir was going to be in the FRCG. Wasn't that the bit that someone (Ed Greenwood?) said they were having fun with?
Lady Fellshot Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 16:45:08
Hmmm, OK but where's their motivation, enemies and allies? You know, the details I would need to know where this organization fits into a game and the setting itself.
Brimstone Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 15:32:09
quote:

-Yeah I am getting that feeling too.

-So is 'Returned Abeir' going to take up space in the FRCG?

-I hope not. I guess thats why certain parts are getting the axe.

BRIMSTONE
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 15:29:39
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

Well, it is part of the stuff coming in from Abeir, so I'm not sure what Realmslore you'd expect attached to it.

Something that made it feel like it was even a part of the setting would be good. Other than a token reference to some evil groups, there was nothing at all Realms-ish about this one.

I would have been happy if there was an expanded section on their goals, a discussion on how they were spreading across the Realms, a blurb about the opposition from the church of Kelemvor...
Colman Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 12:36:44
Well, it is part of the stuff coming in from Abeir, so I'm not sure what Realmslore you'd expect attached to it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 12:20:00

Colman Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 11:57:54
Interesting but, as has often been the case, missing motivation. Why do they want to extend their network? What are they after? Are they a trade union for guardian undead? ("And now, oh Dark Lord, we come to the issue of breaks. Our members feel that at least once an eon ...") Do they want to ultimately turn the whole world to undeath? What are their goals?

On the other hand, it does suggest the ritual "Walk the paths of the undead", a seventh level ritual that allows you to see and travel along those routes - with an Arcana check which determines the outcome and travel time: fail badly and you'll end up somewhere random on the network ("Hello Mr Lich, um, just passing through, don't mind me ..."), succeed well and you'll get there really quickly.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000