Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep logo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  09:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, fellow scribes

Candlekeep has been around almost ten years. Looking around the site and forum, as I was yesterday, I realised that the old logos are looking a little tired.

I therefore put it out to my fellow artistic scribes, to come up with any suggestions and indeed put any expertise into the design of a new logo for both the site and the forum (whilst the two are currently different, I feel it would be best to have one logo).

Please feel free to come up with any suggestions for a theme in this thread, or indeed email me a draft JPEG.

Your credit will be provided on the Candlekeep site, of course, for any logo we use herein.

Many thanks.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  14:18:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd offer my assistance, but I'm afraid my artistic abilities are so non-existent that I would be hard-pressed to do something as nice as The Order of the Stick!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jun 2008 14:19:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  14:20:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to help, though I'm not entirely sure what it is I could offer up. Let me play around with a few designs first.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  15:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a good designer. SO I'm not able to draw the logo I think about.
So, I will try to describe it.
It's not original enough but maybe it will help other scribes to find new ideas.

I'm thinking about using the new FR official logo but we would write "Candlekeep" instead of "Forgotten Realms" inside the logo.
I know it's not so good idea but it's the only one for the moment...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  18:31:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off - Wolly, as much as I'd like to see what your link has to offer it does not work (at least not for me)!

On the topic, I'd like to mention that I truely like the Candlekeep logo as it is and always was. I don't neccissarily see the need for change. Besides, so many things changes this year that I rather see a few 'good old things' remain as they are.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  19:49:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

First off - Wolly, as much as I'd like to see what your link has to offer it does not work (at least not for me)!

It's a webcomic based on D&D (both in setting, and in game mechanics) called Order of the Stick. The artwork is deliberately simple; the characters are stick figures with enough extra detail to differentiate the different characters. It also ran in Dragon, during that magazine's later days.

I'm not sure why the link isn't working for you, but you can Google it and get to the site that way.

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  20:09:57  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I therefore put it out to my fellow artistic scribes, to come up with any suggestions and indeed put any expertise into the design of a new logo for both the site and the forum (whilst the two are currently different, I feel it would be best to have one logo).

I don't mind helping out, if you would like?

I take it you just want an overall banner type logo, that you can resize for these forums too then?

Do you want to keep the 'keep' theme in the logo, or just go for something totally different?

Will you be keeping the background the same, and thus need something that matches with it?

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  21:05:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think any new logo should include my avatar and the words "The Chosen Online Home of Wooly Rupert, the Brilliant and Roguishly Handsome Master of Mischief"

Among other things, I think that such a description would seriously increase the amount of traffic we see here. I'm just that good.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  00:22:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the topic, I'd like to mention that I truely like the Candlekeep logo as it is and always was. I don't neccissarily see the need for change. Besides, so many things changes this year that I rather see a few 'good old things' remain as they are.

I have posted all of the most important links for OOTS (Order Of The Stick) in "Adventuring.". (Since they are an adventuring party, it seemed the only reasonable place to post them.) All of the links from that scroll should work, Ergdusch.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  02:11:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think any new logo should include my avatar and the words "The Chosen Online Home of Wooly Rupert, the Brilliant and Roguishly Handsome Master of Mischief"

Among other things, I think that such a description would seriously increase the amount of traffic we see here. I'm just that good.

Bah! Any new logo should feature a representation of the Sage. As one of the longest-served scribes here at Candlekeep, it has been my wisdom and knowledge that has helped to enlighten those seeking lore about the Realms.

We should reward knowledge, not mischief-making. Silly space hamster!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  05:11:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Bah! Any new logo should feature a representation of the Sage. As one of the longest-served scribes here at Candlekeep, it has been my wisdom and knowledge that has helped to enlighten those seeking lore about the Realms.

We should reward knowledge, not mischief-making. Silly space hamster!

Ah, but mischief is so much more fun! And I've shared just as much wisdom and knowledge as you, O master of the never-ending to-do list!

Besides, any representation of you that we use would be invalidated a week later by yet another avatar change...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  05:48:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. Maybe I should just generate an animated .gif representation of the Sage that shifts images every few days.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  07:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

True. Maybe I should just generate an animated .gif representation of the Sage that shifts images every few days.

Now that would be amusing

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  07:54:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's a webcomic based on D&D (both in setting, and in game mechanics) called Order of the Stick. The artwork is deliberately simple; the characters are stick figures with enough extra detail to differentiate the different characters. It also ran in Dragon, during that magazine's later days.

I'm not sure why the link isn't working for you, but you can Google it and get to the site that way.

Wolly, I know what the Order of the Stick is. I am a longtime reader of the Dragon magazine myself, after all! It's just that I thought the link you provided would show us a specific comic related somehow to Candlekeep.

None the less, thanks for the explanation!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  13:27:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's just that I thought the link you provided would show us a specific comic related somehow to Candlekeep.

Nope -- I was using the comic, in general, as an example of how good my artistic abilities aren't.

Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  16:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been drawing for a very long time, and I'm now getting into archaeological illustration (detailed reproduction in illustrated form of artifacts, locales, features, etc) and I would like to make a few submissions to see what piques your fancy.

From there, if there are any few that you like, I can build upon those themes or design features, include any you feel are missing, and continue revising until we reach a commonly-agreed-upon final product that everyone is happy with.

In this way, everyone will have had their say, and the moderators can be assured that it suits the tone of the site/forum. What do you say?
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  19:00:40  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How bout a open book with rune type written in it, with a quill with ink on, with a veil of ink next to it. just a thought.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  09:53:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, I am open to any suggestions and any attempts at producing prototypes. Feel free to take a stab at this and email any graphics over to me

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

DnDBreeder
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  23:02:16  Show Profile  Visit DnDBreeder's Homepage Send DnDBreeder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, just a creeper of the halls and I came by this thread. I'm no professional or anything, but I do know my way around photoshop. I would love to try and put something together and honestly thought about contacting Alaundo before about some graphical upgrades for the site. Never did though, didn't want to bother him.

Here's the thing, when I work on something it takes me while, for instance, this image I did for my kinship in Lord of the Rings Online, took me almost a months time. Here's the link, I did the banner at the top of the page http://hobbitual.guildlaunch.com/ and did this logo here http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Kinship:Hobbitual.

Possibly what we could do is make a contest out of it and let the public vote on which graphics to use? All you would have to do Alaundo is give us a date to have everything done by. Just a suggestion though. I'm going to work on something, but like I said, it will take me awhile to finish it. I've always wanted to work on something for Candlekeep and looking forward to seeing what I come up with. The idea I have pictured in my head is something like the image I did on that link, but more Forgotten Realmish. See you soon!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  18:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DnDBreeder

Hello everyone, just a creeper of the halls and I came by this thread. I'm no professional or anything, but I do know my way around photoshop. I would love to try and put something together and honestly thought about contacting Alaundo before about some graphical upgrades for the site. Never did though, didn't want to bother him.

Here's the thing, when I work on something it takes me while, for instance, this image I did for my kinship in Lord of the Rings Online, took me almost a months time. Here's the link, I did the banner at the top of the page http://hobbitual.guildlaunch.com/ and did this logo here http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Kinship:Hobbitual.

Possibly what we could do is make a contest out of it and let the public vote on which graphics to use? All you would have to do Alaundo is give us a date to have everything done by. Just a suggestion though. I'm going to work on something, but like I said, it will take me awhile to finish it. I've always wanted to work on something for Candlekeep and looking forward to seeing what I come up with. The idea I have pictured in my head is something like the image I did on that link, but more Forgotten Realmish. See you soon!

Well met, DnDBreeder

I'm impressed, very impressed! That's great work and just the sort of quality i'm looking for.

Feel free to contact me privately (alaundo AT candlekeep.com) to discuss further

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  14:15:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading thi scrolI envision a Tom and Jerry like chase scene with the Sage trying to get his hands around a certain Hamster's neck!!

T

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  16:22:02  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any update on this Alaundo?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  09:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Any update on this Alaundo?

Well met

Aye, I have had a number of submissions which are being tweaked as we speak. As to whether the logo goes up before or with Candlekeep v2.0 is another matter

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing the new look for Candlekeep.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  04:54:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That banner of DnDBreeder is way beyond my meager skils - very beautiful, indeed.

I like Riot the Outsider's suggestion, and I was just imagining the page opening up at first to a blank scroll, with a quill pen to the side sitting in an ink-pot.

Then the quill magically lifts from the inkwell and writes the name -

Candlekeep.Com

Then the scroll burns away (starting from the center and moving out), taking the whole cover page with it, revealing the site in all its glory.

Of course, that kind of animation requires some serious skills, but I can dream, can't I?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

DnDBreeder
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2008 :  16:56:22  Show Profile  Visit DnDBreeder's Homepage Send DnDBreeder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Markus! I've seen your maps and I know those aren't easy to do. I'm sure if you tried you could come up with something cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the submissions. I've turned in 2 versions of my logo and to be honest, I like it but don't love it, lol. :) Alaundo has my permission to use the logo how ever he wishes, it was a pleasure doing it for Candlekeep and I hope I get to do more for the site in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  21:17:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, I was going to offer something of my meager skills, then I saw the Hobbitual logo...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  07:37:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there was no danger of me trying to contribute anything in this particular arena... Wooly's artistic skills (as he described them earlier in this scroll) put mine to shame.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Oct 2008 07:37:50
Go to Top of Page

Nefarious
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  19:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Nefarious's Homepage Send Nefarious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance we'll see some updates in this area soon?
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  08:46:03  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we still looking for artists to contribute to the logo or do we already have a group of logos to choose from, cause if not i may be able to help a bit if needed with some ideas though i dont think i could pull off something like what mark wants since i dont own anything like flash or maya on my computer to do anything animation wise but i might be able to come up with some designs with photoshop or something.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  08:58:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it stands, Alaundo's still accepting ideas, as he has yet to settle on a particular logo. So if you've got something to add, I'd suggest you contact him via email [see his profile here at Candlekeep].

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000