Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 OT: OOTS links (Order Of The Stick)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  00:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
These are the essential links for the adventuring band named the Order of the Stick (OOTS). Rich Burlew, the <cough> ... <cough> ... "artist," ... <cough> was the runner-up for Wizards of the Coast "Design the Next Campaign Setting (which we will trash in a few years so we can sell more useless books)" contest. His main page is here, and is worth checking periodically. After you have read a dozen or so strips, the "extras" will make sense to you, and you will also have a better understanding of what he is writing about on his main page (such as whether or not we will see OOTS "4.0" -- which will only be funny if you've read the first OOTS comic strips).

OOTS Cast

The first OOTS comic strip (0001)

OOTS Extras

OOTS Archive (which has the titles of each strip, which ordinarily only appear on the main page, left column, while a strip is current).

Mod edit: Fixed a broken link.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jun 2008 12:18:36

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  01:08:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Order of the Stick; it's one of my fave webcomics (and I do read a bunch of webcomics!).

But... It's not really relevant to the Realms. And since we are a Realms forum, we need to see some Realms-relevance, I'm afraid.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  01:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I love Order of the Stick; it's one of my fave webcomics (and I do read a bunch of webcomics!).

But... It's not really relevant to the Realms. And since we are a Realms forum, we need to see some Realms-relevance, I'm afraid.

Okay:

1. The OOTS links will not take up space on the scroll with Alaundo's request for Candlekeep logo submissions, thus easing the burden on the server. (And let's not fortget who first mentioned OOTS there, and posted a link to it which another scholar was unable to use, hmmm?)

2. Players in my Forgotten Realms campaign consciously adopt catchphrases from OOTS as a shorthand for rules and for roleplaying activities. Real-world examples from my own campaign (which ought to fit the criterion of Forgotten Realms adventure journalism): "ONE WORD!" because in my campaign I use the 1 page / spell level + 1d6-1 pages rule for scribing spells, and "Familiar who Miss Starshine named" as a reference to wizards and sorcerers tending to have familiars solely for their rules benefits, with no thought at all given to the role-playing implications (one kept a toad in his boot!).

3. Vaarsuvius's spell research towards scrying Roy and Belkar informs AD&D retrofitting of spell research and scrying rules which I felt were superior to 3rd edition; specifically, last year I decided that no visible scrying sensor should appear at a scried location, and an awareness of being scryed should indicate only the P.O.V. of the scryer. This counteracted an earlier description I had given about a year and a half ago about the party becoming aware of a scrying sensor in the air ahead of them as they rode through the Fields of the Dead, which a hawk familiar plucked out of the air, or tried to, an event which was described somewhere on line, either here or on my group's message board. (Note that Vaarsuvius's raven is first introduced to the reader when called upon to enhance V's sight, since V fails a Spot check and needs to be reminded of the familiar's existence.)

4. Rich Burlew addresses the matter of adopting OOTS to 4.New.Coke on his main page, and his unassailable logic should be followed by DMs, in my opinion: "Does it work for my purposes? If it doesn't, I'm not using it."

And that's already thrice as much space as I ever intended to take up discussing OOTS here.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 10 Jun 2008 01:10:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  01:02:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

And let's not fortget who first mentioned OOTS there, and posted a link to it which another scholar was unable to use, hmmm?)

Yeah, but my link was relevant to the discussion at hand -- I was using OOTS as an artwork example.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  17:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could move it to D&D Core Products, not the most accurate of spots for it, but since the comic references the rules on several occasions, it kind of fits.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  06:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

You could move it to D&D Core Products, not the most accurate of spots for it, but since the comic references the rules on several occasions, it kind of fits.

I concur. Whisk it away, Wooly!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  12:18:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I concur. Whisk it away, Wooly!

Done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000