Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:13:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious here....

How much that cost you? Is it monthly/yearly/one time payment? Details. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I have the Pathfinder Subscription. (Which gives me 15% off the price of all things Pathfinder and whatever else I buy at Paizo.com)

-I have The Pathfinder Chronicals Subscription. (Which fleshes out The Pathfinder Setting)

-I have The Pathfinder Modules Subscription. (Which is the Generic OGL Mini-Adventures. Was Game-Mastery, now under The Pathfinder Umbrela)

-I have The Pathfinder Companion Subscription. (Just started this month with The Second Darkness AP. Has more lore for The Pathfinder Setting. I think its for Players.)

-My tag over at the Paizo Forums has Superscriber in it. That means I have subscribed to all The Pathfinder Subscriptions.

BRIMSTONE

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:26:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It varies. It averages out to around $35 a month. (Which is one 4E Book)

-See every month is not all of those products coming out. The Ap is monthly thats a given. One month you get the chronicals. Next month you get the modules. The companion is bi-monthly. This month was kinda drastic $80 ($49 from the setting book, but I had an $11 Credit from my Dungeon/Dragon Sub). I get them all shipped together (One time shipping and handling fee). I went 2 months with out getting anything. Then last month I got two shipments within 3 weeks of each other. Its a pretty good deal. I even went and ordered the Rise of The Runelord Dice set. (OCD) I am not buying the Pathfinder Beta, that will be a free download. I am happy with it.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:35:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got "Classic Monsters Revisited"

AWESOME!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:37:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-They got one on Dragons coming soon. I want to see one on the Undead, and Fiends!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  07:12:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-They got one on Dragons coming soon. I want to see one on the Undead, and Fiends!

BRIMSTONE

No way!

AWESOMER!!!!

Can't wait to see their take on DRAGONS, after seeing the wonders they can do with goblins... he he he, I'll never run a hobgoblin the same way again! (and goblins for that matter: they'll always come at least 4 to 1 against the PCs, gang-grappling the tanks to the ground then pin them for other hidden goblins to come and delivery their sneak attacks on them! )
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  18:40:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stop it!!!

I have to keep a roll of paper-towel next to me to clean all the drool off my Keyboard!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  19:45:06  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
No way!

AWESOMER!!!!

Can't wait to see their take on DRAGONS, after seeing the wonders they can do with goblins... he he he, I'll never run a hobgoblin the same way again! (and goblins for that matter: they'll always come at least 4 to 1 against the PCs, gang-grappling the tanks to the ground then pin them for other hidden goblins to come and delivery their sneak attacks on them! )

There's an article on Dragons of Golarion in Pathfinder #4: Fortress of the Stone Giants. It contains their mythology/history, clans, physiology, psychology, language, and other draconic breeds and dragonkin. As well as two new draconic deities, Apsu (who replaces Bahamut in Golarion although he's not platinum), and Dahak (Apsu's CE son), along with an old goodie, Tiamat (Apsu's ex-mate). You should consider it as a preview to this seriously long URL

Mod edit: Honkin' big link made pretty and non-page-stretching.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Aug 2008 23:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  11:42:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just got Second Darkness companion and Shadow In the Sky, looks great, the artwork, the new layout is much better than WotC's

the town of Riddleport is nice, I'll use it in Vilhon Reach rather than in Golarion, I plan to do the same for some other countries from the Campaign Setting

can't wait for Elves of Golarion also
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  22:36:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not a bad idea - use all the Paizo stuff to make 4e FR a playable setting.

After all, all the REAL FR designers are over there these days.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  09:55:03  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea, first I'll insert are Mwangi Expanses, now in Katashaka

I wonder which country Ed designed

Edited by - Quale on 12 Aug 2008 09:56:38
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  13:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting yesterday, and it's completely awesome. :D
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  14:43:50  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Wraith

I just got my Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting yesterday, and it's completely awesome. :D

why?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  15:13:49  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like coat of arms art of most countries

I don't like the map, the geography of the setting

I don't like archdaemon Charon's hat

I like that it has philosophies, like Diabolism

I like gnomes, they bleach

humans are cousins of elves, back to Tolkien origins, elves are more like Tuatha De Danaan

spaceship crashed in Golarion

I like Human subraces

aboleths are behind the rise and fall of Azlant (Atlantis)

I like barbarian lands like Mwangi, Linnorm kings, Mammoth lords

Baba Yaga's land, meh

Edited by - Quale on 12 Aug 2008 15:14:41
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  15:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly I just like the feel of it. Maybe it's not something everyone would like (for instance, I like that they added the Heraldry of various regions/nations, but that's me). I feel like it gives me a good basis for which to create any number of campaigns and adventures, and give a good grounding for the world in which it's set.

The layout seemed sensible, and I don't feel like there was any 'wasted space'. I'd definitely say it was one of the more readable world books, or at least came off that way at a glance.

I definitely also like a lot of the things Quale mentioned. Gnomes definitely feel like an interesting race of their own (I especially love the bleach concept). I also really like the way the humans are presented, with a variety of different cultural and ethnic subtypes, rather than just as a generic lump. It reminds me of the way FR worked, though I like Pathfinder's presentation of it far better than anything I've seen in FR products.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:59:42  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait for mine!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  19:59:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea, the best campaign book when it comes to wasting space, mostly lore

interesting I found some similarities with FR, it has a human subrace, Kelishites, who are in some ways similar to Calishites, influenced by genies

in Riddleport theres Gold Goblin bar, just like the Golden Goblin in Suzail

other stuff that I like from the campaign:

elven beliefs in reincarnation, called the Brightness

half-elves are more interesting, their psychology is well-thought out

orcs are nice, they ruled before the sun's return, after the comet hit. They wow to return with the rising of the dark. Half-orcs have fungal tattoos and their half-orc god. One rules the fallen dwarven Sky citadel like Obould did.

Planar stuff is ok, you have Inner (elemental) and Outer Sphere, like that they renamed Limbo to Maelstrom (slaadi are proteans). In outer sphere there's Abbadon (Styx begins here, daemons are the youngest fiendish race, but the plane is not quite alike to Grey Waste/Gehenna), Abyss, Axis (law city-plane), Boneyard (the dead are there, there is a place for agnostics and atheists too), Elysium (more like Arborea, wish it had a different name), Heaven, Hell and Nirvana (dualistic inward/outward nature of Good, agathions and guardinals).

don't like the dwarven background, pretty generic, Castlemourn dwarves are better (their philosophy)
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  20:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

yea, the best campaign book when it comes to wasting space, mostly lore

Yep. Granted, in many ways this has to do with the fact that they're sort of in-between rulesets right now, and as a result, the designers at Paizo have basically said they're trying to keep it specifically 'rules-light.'

As a result, it definitely has a much higher lore to rules ratio than say the FRCS did. There are as many pages devoted to the lore on each individual race as there are to spells, or to feats (not counting the occasional sidebar with a particular regional feat, for instance).
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  21:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Cross posted from WotC forums)

Overall, it feels very much like a world with an enormously rich history and detail, of which the book merely presents a basic overview, much in the same way that the 3rd Edition FRCS did for Faerun. Golarion does indeed share a number of parallels with Toril, at least in terms of the general concept of a world built on over top of the ruins of lost, sometimes forgotten empires of ancient times, and the notion of having lands and cultures that are vague parallels/amalgams of real-world cultures and themes.

Brief overview:

Chapter 1 deals with Characters, and gives (lore) information on both races and classes, and how they appear in the setting. Interestingly, the various types of humans are presented as separate 'races', and each given the same amount of attention as any of the demi-human races. There are also a few very interesting things noted about certain races, in particular the concept of 'the Bleaching' for Gnomes.

Chapter 2 details the regions and nations of the primary continent of the campaign setting. Each one has its own entry, with various notes on subregions and important themes. Heraldry and flags are included, if applicable. The last part details the rest of the world in brief. This is probably the biggest part of the book.

Chapter 3 is probably the second-largest, and covers the religions of the world, including the 20 major gods, as well as the minor gods, archdevils, demons, daemons, and paragons of good that possess worshippers. It also details philosophies that are somewhat separate from religions. Lastly, the planes are covered, which use a similar structure to the classic "Great Wheel", though with a few notable differences in some of the arrangements, such as the elemental planes, or how there is one outer plane associated with each alignment (rather than having intermediary planes, i.e. no Pandemonium between CN Limbo and the CE Abyss). Some of these, like Hell and the Abyss, are familiar, while others like the LN plane, Axis, are noticeably different from Mechanus of the Great Wheel.

Chapter 4 deals with organizations, both major and minor. Fairly short compared to the previous two chapters, but contains a lot of interesting bits on various groups, both good, evil, and otherwise.

Chapter 5 covers various other bits about the world, including a timeline of past history. This is sort of a catch-all section, with bits about unique flora, fauna, equipment, languages, weather and climate, and so on. This is also where several prestige classes are listed.

The Appendixes cover certain useful things, most notably a pronunciation guide, but also a listing of where various published modules and adventure paths are located in the world, a handful of sample NPCs, and random encounter tables.

In summary, it gives all the basics you'd need to run the world. Even for those not planning on running campaigns in Golarion, there are a ton of things that could be easily lifted out and exported to any number of similar settings, if desired.

Edited by - Fire Wraith on 12 Aug 2008 21:58:33
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  15:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

in Riddleport theres Gold Goblin bar, just like the Golden Goblin in Suzail

The new Adventure Path - Second Darkness - starts with an adventure set around the Gold Goblin and Riddleport. It's Pathfinder 13 which just came out.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  17:57:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The beta rules are available:

http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  18:25:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The beta rules are available:

http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG

I am glad I got it earlier. Their site just CRASHED due to Volume.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  19:02:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BRIMSTONE

Aye, it seems the site has been crashing on and off since the book was released. :)

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  19:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BRIMSTONE
Lol, anyone surprised by this?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  20:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the slightest. Wonderful news.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  17:08:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know which area Ed wrote in the CS?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  00:09:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Ed wrote about the elves for Paizo, but I may be wrong.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  04:24:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooooohh... that makes me kinda giddy!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  05:05:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really looking forward to the Campaign Guide more then ever now.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  10:41:07  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the Gazetteer and Classic Monsters.

As regards the Gazetteer.
There are lots of things I like about the setting. The overall story is attractive although the main deity dying seems like a cliché to me. The map is fairly good. I like the idea of a permanent hurricane, it reminds of Jupiter's Red Spot.

I don't like some of the artwork. Elves should not have donkey ears. A graceful point such as was shown in the Lord of the Rings films is acceptable but big, flapping donkey ears are ugly and just plain stupid. Also if you look at the back cover of the Gazetteer, what happened to that man's head? Why is so small? There are some amaxing artists out there hopefully they can do the artwork more justice.

The details about the human races are interesting. I like what they've done to the gnomes. That seems very innovative to me and is laudable. The elves don't seem that different to any other setting. Neither do the dwarves. It would be nicer if they also had their own racial groupings (although this seems to be hinted at.) I don't like what they've done to the halflings BUT I think its a good idea. What I mean by that is that personally I don't like it but I think it is a fresh take and makes sense.

I hope to finish reading it soon, it's near the top of my to read pile and is just waiting for me to finish reading three other books first.

I've flicked through Classic Monsters but haven't formed an opinion yet. My overall impression of both books is fairly positive.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  14:30:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kia, with your preference for the drow, you'll probably want to check out the newest Pathfinder Adventure Path #13 - Shadow in the Sky and the attached Second Darkness Campaign Guide. They have a very interesting take on the Drow's creation in the game and their special relationship to normal elves. I'd go into more detail, but it's getting close to the realm of spoilers.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000