Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  08:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get the Rise of the Runelords adventure path.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  22:00:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I started with the Gazeteer. because as everyone knows, maps are 'my thing'. Anyway, I just wanted to get a basic outline of the setting before committing further, and the Gazeteer does just that.

I'd recommend getting the three FREE PDF's as well -

Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide
Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide
Hollow's last Hope Adventure

All are FREE as PDF downloads, and they are EXCELLENT!

The next book I'm getting is the Classic Monsters Revisited Book, but thats because I have an interest in re-imagining many of the races that this book details, and I heard it was fantastic.

I haven't heard anything bad about any of their products, but as Mace has pointed out, RotR is one of the most popular series, and their adventure paths also act act campaign guides for those regions - something WotC could never get quite right.

One last thing - EVERYTHING as of right now is written to the 3e rules, NOT Pathfinder. The Pathfinder rules will not becoming out for like another 10 months (the final release), and even after that all the adventures should work as-is in 3e (pathfinder is an extension of 3e, not a different ruleset). I know that they plan on providing any conversion notes for all of their Pathfinder stuff once their rules are complete, and I believe they will supply conversion backwards to 3e if needed (but like I said, the two systems are close enough where most of the stuff can be used as-is).

They had planned to provide 4e conversions as well - this is something Paizo has always excelled at, with their conversions for all of their Adveture Paths for the different WotC worlds. Unfortunely, the new OGL does NOT allow a company to simultaneously develop for both 3e and 4e - any company wishing to produce 4e products MUST no longer produce 3e products.

Hows that for a kick in the head? WotC is forcing all the smaller companies to choose... and so far, they're sticking with 3e. I think that part of the new OGL is going to come back and bite them in the ass - Paizo had plans to produce products for both, and now can't.

Also, WotC retains the right to 'pull' the 4e license from any company they wish at any time at their own discretion. So... if someone starts doing what they do better then they do (sound familiar?), they can just pull the rug out from under them.

Evil corporation, indeed.

There is absolutely no reason for any 3rd party company to support WotC and their 4e, and a hundred reasons not to.

Didn't want this thread about a wonderful new setting to turn into a rant, but I just wanted everyone to know up front that if they decide to go with Golarion, they are stuck with 3e - WotC made sure of that.

Of course, the fan community is allowed to do whatever they want, and conversions have already begun...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jun 2008 22:07:46
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  08:51:53  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods*

The Player's Guides are indeed the first step. Last Hope is a good adventure but won't see a fluff book focus on the area for a few months still. If you want fluff then you'll want to focus on the Adventure Paths.

Rise of the Runelords 1-6
Curse of the Crimson Throne 6-12

Curse is currently coming out. It's supported by the Guide to Korvosa, lots of fluffy goodness there, and then you have Conquest of the Bloodsworn Vale.. which takes place before Curse and is a one shot adventure for higher level adventurers then Curse starts (each AP starts at level 1.)

Rise of the Runelords gets some indirect love in the form of Seven Swords of Sin. It's closer to Korvosa though, so for traveling sake, it's probably best to save Seven Swords as a side quest for Curse and just rewrite the beginning of Conquest to fit into the Curse timeline. (Just change who sends you on the quest.)

Not much else to say at the moment. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  02:56:31  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I just ordered the gazeteer

-That was a wise choice!

BRIMSTONE

Well, thats my first

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  20:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got one worried question here --

Can't WoTC shut down Paizo/Pathfinder just by telling them to stop working on the "3.5 Classic" if they feel like it? I like what little I've seen (and it's not a lot; most local book and game stores are '4th Ed or nothing'), but I'm bugged over the idea that I might get involved with yet another game only to have it yanked out from under me.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  21:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Can't WoTC shut down Paizo/Pathfinder just by telling them to stop working on the "3.5 Classic" if they feel like it? I like what little I've seen (and it's not a lot; most local book and game stores are '4th Ed or nothing'), but I'm bugged over the idea that I might get involved with yet another game only to have it yanked out from under me.
The way Monte Cook describes it (sorry, I don't remember where I saw this) is that once given, the way that the d20 OGL (Open Game License) is stated, it cannot be taken away. However, in the new GSL (Game System License) for 4e, WotC has stated that while you can have one product line using the OGL and one using the GSL, no product line can be supported by both the OGL and GSL.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  21:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

OGL grants a perpetual right, forgot the paragraph of the license... so Wotzeee can't do anything, and since Pathfinder does not run under the d20 license... well, bottom line is: Wizards can do nothing... thank the gods

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  16:15:13  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much enjoy the Gaz. An interesting setting. There seems to be a lot of "evil" nations.

I would like to see a book on the far east setting

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  08:08:06  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on an "Interactive Atlas" website akin to what we got from the FRIA.. except as a website. It's pretty neat. :)

If anyone is interested try to chat me on the unofficial paizo chat and I'll show it to you.

http://chat.dmtools.org/

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 18 Jun 2008 08:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  18:03:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frighteningly enough, the new GSL does indeed allow WotC to retain FULL CONTROL over their 4e system, which means they can deny anyone using it the right to do so at ANYTIME at their discretion.

Not in the 'spirit' of the 4 OGL at all, eh?

A company would have to be pretty stupid to base an entire product line on an IP owned by a competitor.

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

OGL grants a perpetual right, forgot the paragraph of the license... so Wotzeee can't do anything, and since Pathfinder does not run under the d20 license... well, bottom line is: Wizards can do nothing... thank the gods

Hmmmm... I remember pointing out here, at least six months ago, that companies do NOT have to move forward and could continue using the 3e rules for their own settings, because 'Open Source' material has become part of the 'public domain'. In fact, I made a point of noting that many fans would be sticking with 3e, and any company that continued to produce 3e material would do rather well. WotC at the time was trying to 'enforce' the belief that everyone would HAVE TO move forward, which simply wasn't true.

I wonder if Monte said it before or after I made that statement?

I believe I was discussing it on his own boards at the time as well.

Then about a week later, Paizo announced their plans to stick with 3e with their Pathfinder rules.

I'm sure that was all just a coincidence... after all, large companies are far more legal-savy then I.

Viva la' Revolution, and all that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2008 18:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:02:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That new GSL is total crud. I mean it protects WotC but can screw the little guy. The OGL was released before Hasbro bought WotC right?
-The 4E SRD has no mechanical information, unlike the 3.5 SRD. That is so one HAS TO BUY THE CORE 4E BOOKS!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, that was discussed at Paizo's board, too, the OGL was released after Hasbor bought WotC.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  17:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

No, that was discussed at Paizo's board, too, the OGL was released after Hasbor bought WotC.
Though it might have been before they (Hasbro) decided to start sticking their fingers in it (WotC, in general; D&D specifically).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  03:01:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

-Thanks.
REMEMBER: ONE CORE TO RULE THEM ALL.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  05:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for discussing the campaign setting of the Pathfinder Chronicles, the world of Golarion, specifically because several designers that have worked on the Realms are also working on this setting as well. Please keep this in mind and let's try to keep on topic.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:17:03  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Gaz although its a tad light. I only sense one real problem. I think the pantheon is a little weak and small. I prefer a few more options there.

And generally, there seems to be more evil realms than good. Not sure how I feel about that. Just an observation.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:25:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guys at Paizo have said that there are going to be a lot of regional deities in the Campaign Setting hardcover, and that the deities listed thus far are the major, widely worshiped ones. There were already several goblin deities introduced in Classic Monsters, for instance, and they have said there will be a few more racial deities in the CS.

Erik Mona also said that they aren't likely to ever say that "these are all of the gods," because the philosophy is that a world as large and varied as Golarion can support a ton of deities.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  03:52:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee Wilikers!

A setting with over a hundred gods, and the designers say there is room for hundreds more? How can that be?

We were told that too many gods are a bad thing.

LOL... time for me to make another anouncment in the PRPG thread...

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:20:47  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Gee Wilikers!

A setting with over a hundred gods, and the designers say there is room for hundreds more? How can that be?

you can't have too many gods apparently us gamers are too dumb to come to grips with 'em all.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  08:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

Gee Wilikers!

you can't have too many gods apparently us gamers are too dumb to come to grips with 'em all.

Nah, we might come to grips with 'em but it just ain't cool

Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  16:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The guys at Paizo have said that there are going to be a lot of regional deities in the Campaign Setting hardcover, and that the deities listed thus far are the major, widely worshiped ones. There were already several goblin deities introduced in Classic Monsters, for instance, and they have said there will be a few more racial deities in the CS.

Erik Mona also said that they aren't likely to ever say that "these are all of the gods," because the philosophy is that a world as large and varied as Golarion can support a ton of deities.

The Paizo blog has a selection of these smaller gods up now. Some very evocative names amongst them.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  01:08:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took my first Golarion step today: bought Pathfinder #1: Burnt Offerings

I'm giddy like a little girl leafing through that masterpiece! I'm so putting Golarion on that empty Realms continent... and the Golarion gods are easily swapped by the Realms ones... I love Paizo!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  19:20:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah I downloaded the Pathfinder Setting Hardcover last night!

-You know the one Ed Greenwood helped write.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Its like 'Top Secret' or something.

So Val Kilmer is running around somewhere? (Sorry ... couldnt resist that one )

Well lets hope they take the best of both settings and leave out the useless junk. The problem which they are facing is that developing a world is a huge task, because poor descriptions (GH was a bit on the short side in the campaign boxes) leave a lot of work for the DM and dont help drawing people into it. The easiest way to create a big world would be to have a lot of wilderness, because that doesnt need a lot of detailed descriptions compared to a kingdom for example. It would also be a good idea because wilderness is always a flexible area which can be shaped by DMs in different ways and needs to be explored by PCs because even NPCs dont know much about it.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  02:13:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Yeah I downloaded the Pathfinder Setting Hardcover last night!

-You know the one Ed Greenwood helped write.

BRIMSTONE

May I just say I am BRIGHT GREEN with jealousy ATM.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  03:29:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You know whats better?

-I just downloaded Chapter One of the third AP! The Second Darkness: Shadows in the Sky.

-I want a certain Pathfinder Demonlord Rune (Abraxas) as my Avatar. the Demonlord Runes are Inside the back cover!
-It even has Drow Runes inside the Front Cover!

-It gets even better, they will ship next monday. So I should get them by next Friday which btw is my Birthday!!!!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 02 Aug 2008 03:30:21
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  04:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm torn between whether to download them now and peruse the .pdf, or wait until mine arrive. Unfortunately I'm going to be stuck without internet all weekend, so I think I may just wait until monday, at least.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  05:23:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Its like 'Top Secret' or something.

So Val Kilmer is running around somewhere? (Sorry ... couldnt resist that one )

He's still off Skeet Surfing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  20:34:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brim - what subscription do you have?

I think I'll just go that route on Monday - knowing Paizo, I can probably talk them into giving me a rebate for the Gazeteer pdf I downloaded (since it would have been free with the subscription).

Money much better spent then some other 'monthly gaming expenses' I could think of.

--- Cheers, Mark

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2008 02:30:29
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  23:40:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I have the Pathfinder Subscription. (Which gives me 30% off the Monthly Adventures. 15% off the price of all things Pathfinder and whatever else I buy at Paizo.com exceptp non paizo pdf's)

-I have The Pathfinder Chronicals Subscription. (Which fleshes out The Pathfinder Setting)

-I have The Pathfinder Modules Subscription. (Which is the Generic OGL Mini-Adventures. Was Game-Mastery, now under The Pathfinder Umbrela)

-I have The Pathfinder Companion Subscription. (Just started this month with The Second Darkness AP. Has more lore for The Pathfinder Setting. I think its for Players.)

-My tag over at the Paizo Forums has Superscriber in it. That means I have subscribed to all The Pathfinder Subscriptions.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 03 Aug 2008 01:27:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page