Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 18 May 2008 : 21:21:23
I think thats the name.

Its the new world being offered up by the guys at Paizo. Now, I realize it's not FR, but Ed has been given an entire region to devlop himself, and since Castlemourn is present in this forum section, I think it's fair to have this here as well.

So far, from what little I've heard, it sounds a lot like GH being 're-imagined' - in other words, it has a lot of reminscent elements from that setting, but with a complete makeover, so that they are more geared for today's gamer (in other words, no more dry, Middle-Earth/Medieval take-offs with little in the way of their own personality).

In fact, it sounds like GH's world, with FRs flavor poured onto it.

With a lot of FR old-timers working on it, like Ed and Elaine C., it seems that this may indeed by FR's successor, rather then 4e FR. Sure, it isn't Toril, but was it really the planet we fell in love with, or the setting itself? And what is a setting, other then a world that is presented in a certain way - which means if this 'Golarian' feels like Ed's FR, then maybe it can feel like home... again.

I started to design a Homebrew world to use next (with either 4e or pathfinder rules - still undecided), but after hearing about Golarian, it sounds a lot like what I was doing anyway. So now I'm going to wait a bit and see what this new world looks like and check it out.

The one thing I AM sure of at this point is that no matter what setting or world I use, a good deal of the NPCs, locales, and organizations from my old FR books are gonna find a home there. After all, those are the things that made me love FR, and if I have to move to a new world to keep using them, then so be it. In fact, I can really go to town now, and have Elminster and Khelben join the Circle of Eight.

Come to think of it, the 4e designers have inadvertantly opened up Pandora's box - if parts of Toril have 'gone missing', then why can't we play on whatever world they got off to? The Spellplague is the perfect opportunity to explain why Zhentil Keep is in my new world, or Waterdeep, or even Shadowdale. We can just say that all the things we like have moved - perhaps the gods opened up portals, and waves of people migrated from Toril when the Spellplague first hit. that way, the locales could be the exact same ones (shifted through space/time by the ebil Spellplague), or, conversely, just a brand-new locale built by FR survivors to remind them of their home (allowing us to 'tweak' whatever we want). So even though all of those NPCs and plothooks are dead in the official setting, we can keep them alive somewhere else.

Literally, it's a Brave New World.

Not even sure what the purpse of this thread is, other then to share with everyone my own plan to keep a part of the Old Realms alive.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 19 Aug 2014 : 23:01:20
She did get one of the biggest write-ups of any character ever in Seven Sisters. While some more about all their histories would be interesting, can't really ask for more character development on such fully developed sisters :)
Fellfire Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 11:05:34
Honestly, what do we know of say, Storm Silverhand? She's got some tough brothers and sisters, she plays the harp and likes to run around in dirty dungarees. Beyond that she's an enigma
Fellfire Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 08:56:33
A matricidal half-elven pirate don't do it for ya Wooly?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 05:15:50
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well the thought of lining up for 30 minutes for 5 minutes in the Paizo retail area put me off finding out more about Pathfinder.

-- George Krashos

The setting has its strengths and weaknesses... I think one of the biggest weaknesses is the lack of memorable NPCs.
George Krashos Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 03:27:31
Well the thought of lining up for 30 minutes for 5 minutes in the Paizo retail area put me off finding out more about Pathfinder.

-- George Krashos
Kuje Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 02:04:51
Surprised no one mentioned the Gencon news that Obsidian, the same company that makes Neverwinter, now has the license to make Pathfinder computer games. The first one that's on the list is a tablet card game based on PF's card game.
idilippy Posted - 30 May 2014 : 16:02:19
And a fantastic Iconic she is! Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Dark Wizard Posted - 30 May 2014 : 05:43:03
Paizo continues utilizing the Iconics concept for Pathfinder with a new set of characters based on the classes in the Advanced Class Guide.

First up with an intro on the Paizo blog is Jirelle the Swashbuckler (link).
Shemmy Posted - 23 Feb 2014 : 04:40:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Looking at my Paizo catalog I see the tome is 320 pages. So each deity is going to get a page at best or some are going to get the full VIP treatment (akin to the 2e tomes for the gods where the gods each got a few pages) while others are going to be largely ignored. I would rather see them divide it into multiple tomes and give every deity full write-ups rather than just a page each.

I like Golarion, but many times I see them as giving scant info in their tomes. Which is fine as DMs can take it and throw their own stuff in the mix...but me, I like to get the full treatment on everything. That way, I get more ideas than what I may have gotten otherwise, and I can still ignore what I don't like.

It very much depends on the specific product line in question, and the focus of the book. The more DM-focused campaign setting supplements like 'Rule of Fear' or the 'Book of the Damned' trio are insanely in-depth, while more player focused books much lighter on the lore.

Also, with respect to the 300 gods appearing in Inner Sea Deities, that number is inclusive of Abyssal lords, Archdevils, the Four, and the full spectrum of Empyreal Lords. No inside details from me since I didn't work on that book, nor am I privy to it before it comes out, but I suspect that many of those demigod status divinities will be brief, with much larger details for full-deities (of whom there are still quite a large number).
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Feb 2014 : 23:05:39
Looking at my Paizo catalog I see the tome is 320 pages. So each deity is going to get a page at best or some are going to get the full VIP treatment (akin to the 2e tomes for the gods where the gods each got a few pages) while others are going to be largely ignored. I would rather see them divide it into multiple tomes and give every deity full write-ups rather than just a page each.

I like Golarion, but many times I see them as giving scant info in their tomes. Which is fine as DMs can take it and throw their own stuff in the mix...but me, I like to get the full treatment on everything. That way, I get more ideas than what I may have gotten otherwise, and I can still ignore what I don't like.
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Feb 2014 : 22:59:00
Well, 300 deities is an incredible number...but just how much quality fluff will that tome have with that many deities being featured? I'm thinking that certain deities will get VIP treatment and others will bet passing glances. Still, it is better than what we've been getting for the FR the past few years. I've said it until I'm blue in the face, there is a reason why Paizo is eating Wizbro's lunch every quarter...hopefully they have learned and will provide better product for 5e.
Markustay Posted - 07 Feb 2014 : 00:25:01
So I had a response here, and after typing it (which was medium-long), I realized it was all BS. I was just making excuses. {sigh}

YES, it would be great if we got the same kind of stuff the Paizo fans get. In fact, I'm pretty sure thats why so many FR fans left for that world.

I have very high hopes for 5eFR... but I'm not going to hold my breath. With each passing day I find myself learning more and more about Golarion. Sadly, that world is not nearly as interesting, but at least it provides me with my 'lore fix'. Fans are like junkies - we just want what we want, and we don't really care who we get it from.
Dark Wizard Posted - 16 Jan 2014 : 07:38:32
By all the gods, stare into this tome and face the deluge of divinity.

Set for an April 2014 release from Paizo is Inner Sea Gods.

The book contains the usual player-oriented crunch of such supplements, like prestige classes, holy symbols, and sacred relics. What caught my attention were these two points in the blurb (emphasis mine):
quote:
From Paizo's webpage for Inner Sea Gods:

- Massive articles on the most powerful deities of the Pathfinder campaign setting, revealing everything you need to know about the gods and their followers, temples, adventurers, holy days, otherworldly realms, divine minions, and more!

- Details on nearly 300 deities from across the Inner Sea region and beyond.

This looks to be the sort of information we've been asking for in regards to the Realms deities. If only it was a supplement for the Realms.

Following the discussion thread on the forums a bit, Paizo has also learned well WotC's missteps, no god stats, or avatars, or CR 25-30 pseudo-avatars. Each god (who has one) will have a unique CR 15 (18 HD max) herald. Why the limit? Because that's the limit for the greater planar ally spell of high level clerics, oracles, and other divine casters. This places the initiative in the hands of player characters. There are no fancy avatars for players to pin target signs on as big monsters. There are by default monsters stronger than divine heralds without venturing into epic levels.

Now note that number, "nearly 300 deities"!
For comparison, 3E's Faiths and Pantheons had "over 115" deities.

Paizo is willing to officially support or substantiate over double the number of FR gods supported in 3E, meanwhile WotC insisted during the 4E transition the Realms had too many gods for people to handle, thus the reduction via a bunch of deicides and some gods revealed to be guises of other gods.

What in the nine hells?!
The Sage Posted - 17 Aug 2013 : 16:22:58
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Adventure Path after Mummy's Mask is called Iron Gods and is set in Numeria (Land of Super Science, robots, and barbarians).

Iron Gods sounds interesting...

Just noticed the other day that the next Pathfinder Tales book is another Radovan and Jeggare book -- that changes my reading plans! I really enjoy those characters.

This sounds like the perfect time for me to be jumping back into PATHFINDER Adventure Paths.
The Sage Posted - 17 Aug 2013 : 16:06:55
I love the Big Finish Doctor Who audio dramas, so I'll be looking into this with particular fascination.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Aug 2013 : 14:56:29
Not a fan of audio books, so I'll be passing on that one.
Kajehase Posted - 17 Aug 2013 : 07:03:21
I'm lazy, so I'll just copy-paste the press-release:

Paizo Publishing And Big Finish Announce Licensing Deal To Create Pathfinder Legends Full-Cast Audio Adventures

Paizo Publishing, LLC, publisher of the world's best selling Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, announces today a new partnership with Big Finish, developer of full-cast dramas and audiobooks, to create Pathfinder Legends, audiobook adventures set in the world of Pathfinder.

Big Finish will produce full-cast and dual spoken word audiobooks in collectible CD and digital download format. The first 6-episode Pathfinder Legends series will be a new full-cast audiobook drama based on the highly popular Rise of the Runelords storyline, with Chapter One, Burnt Offerings, expected to release January 2014, with subsequent releases every two months thereafter. Single-CD releases will be priced at $15.99/£10.00, with digital downloads at $12.99/£8.00. BigFinish.com and paizo.com will offer subscriptions at a discounted rate.

"We're thrilled to be working with Big Finish," says Paizo Publisher Erik Mona. "Their work with properties like Doctor Who has shown the care, attention-to-detail, and quality we know Pathfinder fans have come to expect, and we're excited to hear the adventures of Valeros, Seoni, and our other iconic characters as they venture through Pathfinder's most famous campaign, the Rise of the Runelords!"

"The moment we saw the spectacular Paizo booth at the Gen Con event last year, company Chairman Jason Haigh-Ellery and I knew that the exciting worlds of Paizo's best-selling, award-winning Pathfinder would be ideal inspiration for exciting audio productions," says Big Finish executive producer Nicholas Briggs. "We're really excited and proud to be working with such great stories and characters."

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game builds on more than 10 years of system development and the largest open playtest in the history of tabletop gaming to create an unparalleled fantasy roleplaying experience. Players need only the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook to play, but Paizo Publishing produces a wide range of books and accessories to enhance your Pathfinder experience, from hardcover rules compendiums to complete campaigns to packets of beautiful full-color maps. For more information, visit paizo.com.

About Big Finish
For over thirteen years, Big Finish has been producing high-quality audio drama on CD. There are literally hundreds of productions to choose from, with new titles being released on a monthly basis. The majority of Big Finish's audio plays are based on popular TV series such as Doctor Who, Dark Shadows, Stargate, Highlander, and Blake's 7. Many of the original actors who starred in these classic shows have returned to recreate their characters. Releases are usually either full-cast audio dramas or dramatic readings featuring two cast members, all with explosive sound design and an original music score. Every story features your favourite characters in an all-new adventure. Big Finish offers hours of entertainment, excitement, and intrigue. You've never heard it so good!

About Paizo Publishing
Paizo Publishing®, LLC is a leading publisher of fantasy roleplaying games, accessories, board games, and novels. Paizo's Pathfinder® Roleplaying Game, the result of the largest open playtest in the history of tabletop gaming, is currently the best-selling tabletop roleplaying game in hobby stores. Pathfinder Adventure Path is the most popular and best-selling monthly product in the tabletop RPG industry. Paizo.com is the leading online hobby retail store, offering tens of thousands of products from a variety of publishers to customers all over the world. In the ten years since its founding, Paizo Publishing has received more than 50 major awards and has grown to become one of the most influential companies in the hobby games industry.
Markustay Posted - 16 Aug 2013 : 17:04:38
From what little has been leaked...

"Iron Gods are creatures waking up in Numeria and granting spells."

So we got some sort of robot/super computer/ship able to grant spells? Thats an interesting twist. Strangely, even though I would have no wish to play that, I would probably enjoy reading it. I may buy it after all, just for the story value.

It also sounds suspiciously like what happened in Vassa... I think they peak over each other's shoulders a bit too much. I sometimes feel like Golarion is the 'comic book' version of The Realms (not necessarily a bad thing, its just that they really don't have any line they won't cross).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Aug 2013 : 13:00:27
quote:

Adventure Path after Mummy's Mask is called Iron Gods and is set in Numeria (Land of Super Science, robots, and barbarians).

Iron Gods sounds interesting...

Just noticed the other day that the next Pathfinder Tales book is another Radovan and Jeggare book -- that changes my reading plans! I really enjoy those characters.
Markustay Posted - 16 Aug 2013 : 12:26:04
quote:

Strange, I recall them saying it would be years before they considered that - its not a 'flavor' the majority of fantasy gamers enjoy.

That'll be one for me to avoid. I like SF, and I like Steampunk, but I don't like kitchen-sinks. I like my flavors separate - I'm one of those weird people that eats each part of my dinner one-at-a-time.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 15 Aug 2013 : 23:45:04
I just felt a need to share this. I picked up the Mythic Adventures book from Paizo today (and also the data package for it for Hero Labs) and went in to update my Elminster/Pathfinder conversion. With the rules from Mythic Adventures, I was able to *finally* build El's ability stats to within 1 point of the published stats, and with a BASE of the Heroic NPC ability scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). So, to sum up, the build for El is feasible off a basic Heroic NPC in the Pathfinder rules. (And the one point was actually lost from Intelligence, so he came out to 23 instead of 24).
Kajehase Posted - 15 Aug 2013 : 22:38:34
The Sage Posted - 13 Aug 2013 : 16:00:27
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Really looking forward to Bestiary 4, it will have a lot of monsters from mythology suggested by fans.

I had a hand in this

Any hints on what you "handed," Matt?
Markustay Posted - 13 Aug 2013 : 13:48:33
I have to go with Wooly on this one - aside from Thaldrin Kreed, none them inspire any emotional response from me, very much unlike FR's NPCs.

They are interesting, but its stops there. I guess as I get into the setting more, hopefully that will change.

The same goes for a lot of the rest of the setting - some of it is like "thats pretty cool", and other things I am like, "whats the point?"

For example, Last Wall and Mendev. I understand that each exists to combat a different threat, but really... TWO paladin-type nations, 'out to save the world'? There is nothing I can't do in one that I can do in the other. The same goes for Isger and Nidal, etc (which are both kinda redundant with Cheliax itself). Nidal at least has a little different spin, but Isger... WTH? Pretty useless, IMHO.

Of course, on that note, I can't say FR is any better. They really need to cut-back on all the Middle-eastern type cultures, and stick those back down in Zakhara where they belong.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Aug 2013 : 13:07:23
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

But for Golarion, there isn't a single NPC that readily springs to mind, other than those from a couple of the novels.

Oh the pain!

Shaeleu Andosana, Queen Ileosa, the Whispering Tyrant, and heck.. now all the core iconics are fully realized thanks to the comics.

Of well, to each their own. :)

Of those three, the only one I recognize is the Whispering Tyrant -- and since he's not active in the setting, I don't consider him an NPC.

I do like some of the iconics, but even they don't stand out for me the way a lot of FR NPCs do.
Matt James Posted - 13 Aug 2013 : 12:56:51
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Really looking forward to Bestiary 4, it will have a lot of monsters from mythology suggested by fans.

I had a hand in this
SirUrza Posted - 13 Aug 2013 : 06:41:08
quote:

But for Golarion, there isn't a single NPC that readily springs to mind, other than those from a couple of the novels.

Oh the pain!

Shaeleu Andosana, Queen Ileosa, the Whispering Tyrant, and heck.. now all the core iconics are fully realized thanks to the comics.

Of well, to each their own. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Aug 2013 : 04:24:47
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The only one that jumps to mind for me is Thaldrin Kreed, the head of the Lumber Consortium in Darkmoon Vale. He's pretty interesting (and hateful).

Funny, I was just working on my FR/Gol amalgam campaign this morning; decided to bring-in Thuvia and Rashadoum, even though I don't find them very interesting (they filled-in a much needed blank area, and they just happen to be culture-appropriate). Katapesh also just made the cut (after I un-merged Osirion from Mulhorand).

After given it even more thought, I finally recalled some of the iconics. Not all of them, but some of them. That's still not saying much, considering the volume of lore for Golarion.

There are a lot of really nifty lands and ideas in the setting -- I just need to see it come alive.
Markustay Posted - 11 Aug 2013 : 18:22:49
The only one that jumps to mind for me is Thaldrin Kreed, the head of the Lumber Consortium in Darkmoon Vale. He's pretty interesting (and hateful).

Funny, I was just working on my FR/Gol amalgam campaign this morning; decided to bring-in Thuvia and Rashadoum, even though I don't find them very interesting (they filled-in a much needed blank area, and they just happen to be culture-appropriate). Katapesh also just made the cut (after I un-merged Osirion from Mulhorand).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Aug 2013 : 17:35:35
I've had a thought, recently, about why Golarion hasn't grabbed me the same way the Realms has...

A lot of it is NPCs. We've got thousands of NPCs in the Realms, and a lot of them are quite interesting. Eliath Craulnobur. Tashara of the Seven Skulls. Baelam the Bold. Elsura Dauniir. Rhaligan Glarasteer. Matteo. Alias and her sisters. Halaster Blackcloak. Kyriani. And so many more...

Golarion has NPCs, sure, there are some in every regional book... But none of them have jumped out at me, and there just aren't a lot of them described...

Heck, all we have for Ptolus is one book and a couple of adventures -- but I still can think of at least a couple of intriguing NPCs, like the Iron Mage or Jevvica Noor. For Castlemourn, the Skull immediately comes to mind.

It also doesn't help that I don't have the same feeling of time progressing, as I do with the Realms.

Golarion is cool, don't get me wrong, and I've got a buttload of material for it. For a few years now, most of my gaming money has gone to Paizo.

But I'm not feeling like it's a living place. I don't know who lives there, and I don't see things happening. I love the Realms because it does live, and because I do know who lives there and what is happening in their world.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000