Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2008 :  22:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here, Mace.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  04:29:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far Elaine is onboard for the fiction (not sure about Ed - so far only his setting work is confirmed), but rumour has it RAS is going to be doing fiction for them as well.

They've got some lineup of heavy-hitters for Pathfinder.

This is sounding more and more like FR then FR these days.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 May 2008 04:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  07:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we can place an add in virtual Dragon to show Pathfinder to the D&D crowd (that was irony, I wouldn't touch DDI for all the money in the world... no wait, if I were to get a couple million €s I might... everyone has his or her price)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  21:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did it say there was going to be a novel line? The only thing I've seen confirmed so far is serial ficition (which is a bit different).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 May 2008 21:32:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  21:47:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik Mona has hinted at it, if all goes well with the serial fiction, then a novel line is assured sometime down the line.

And I know of at least one author who has been approched by them to do a series... still in talks, though, from what I understand.

It shall be an interesting year or two, I will say that.

Even FR-haters over on the Paizo boards are practically drooling in anticipation of whatever Ed's come up with for the setting.

I printed up the maps that came with some of the free downloads, and they are spectacular! The one showing Varisia reminds me of the old Judges Guild maps for some reason (except better, and in full color). Instead of just major world-map features like we get with the FR maps, these are more precise, and show smaller mountain ranges and features - its incredibly detailed.

They make my imagination soar like it hasn't since the old gold box. Hats off to paizo, for knowing what P&P RPGers want, and giving it to them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 May 2008 21:47:52
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  22:11:29  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know one thing I would really really really love to see, two words: BOXED SET!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  23:29:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I know one thing I would really really really love to see, two words: BOXED SET!

-

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2008 :  23:34:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

two words: BOXED SET!

Damn you Mace....

now I have drool all over my keyboard....

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  08:26:28  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Where did it say there was going to be a novel line? The only thing I've seen confirmed so far is serial ficition (which is a bit different).

Eric Mona:

Let's take this one year at a time, please.

Step 1: Launch Pathfinder successfully (Check)
Step 2: Launch Pathfinder RPG successfully (in progress)
Step 3: Launch Pathfinder fiction line (2009)
Step 5: ?

That's more then just saying "we're still thinking about it." That's the publisher saying, fiction is NEXT.

Ed has create a whole area for the campaign setting. Which means he's got a playground to write novels in.

Elaine is doing her serial stuff.. which could easily be continued in novel form. You know how she always leaves things open ended so she can do more later.

While Bob is only writing the introduction for the campaign setting, it's very possible he could do fiction as well if given the right encouragement... particularly if he's unhappy with spell plague and doesn't want to write about 4E Drizzt.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2008 :  15:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, a novel line has not been confirmed yet, which is my point.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Cyria
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  18:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Cyria's Homepage Send Cyria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read through the Paizo blog and I'm definitely excited. While it's a bit tough to get a proper understanding of the setting from blog posts, Golarion looks like it has a lot of things I'd enjoy. I don't care much about the prospect of revised 3.5 rules, I just want a Pathfinder setting book full of the kind of lovely lore I found on that blog.

I'd also be interested in a novel line if it had books by authors like Elaine Cunningham. Novels starring the Pathfinder iconics, perhaps - I really like their backstories.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  18:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyria

I'd also be interested in a novel line if it had books by authors like Elaine Cunningham. Novels starring the Pathfinder iconics, perhaps - I really like their backstories.

A question if you don't mind...

I keep hearing about these iconics, but know nothing about them. Where can I read about their backstories?

Go to Top of Page

Cyria
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  18:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Cyria's Homepage Send Cyria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A question if you don't mind...

I keep hearing about these iconics, but know nothing about them. Where can I read about their backstories?

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog - look for a Meet The Iconics post every couple of pages. There's 12, four in each party. I always liked seeing the Dungeon iconics so it was great to find out Pathfinder has its own, and these ones even have names and little introductions. The gnome druid and paladin are my favourites.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  18:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Paizo blog has the backstories for each of the iconics, though you'll have to go back a bit for the early ones.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  00:12:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here you go, all 12.

Valeros has been expanded since then but aside from it appearing in the products, I don't think they blogged it.

Valeros (Fighter) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9kir&source=rss
Seoni (Sorcerer) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9kj4&source=rss
Merisiel (Rogue)- http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9kny&source=rss
Kyra (Cleric) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9kog&source=rss
Ezren (Wizard)- http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9ktl&source=rss
Harsk (Ranger) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9kuy&source=rss
Seelah (Paladin) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9kxi&source=rss
Lem (Bard) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9l03&source=rss
Sajan (Monk) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9l2j&source=rss
Amiri (Barbarian) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9l4m&source=rss
Lini (Druid) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9l59&source=rss
Seltyiel (Fighter/Sorcerer or Fighter/Wizard) - http://paizo.com/paizo/v5748eaic9l7s&source=rss

Things we know from the blogs..

Someone has a crush on Seoni but she's hasn't noticed.
Seoni has a familiar named Dragons (a blue -tailed skink; as lizard, MM275.)
Someone is homosexual.
Amiri's sword is a LARGE category weapon.
Seltyiel is evil (waiting for stats for LE or NE and sorcerer or wizard.)

Valeros expanded..

Born a farmer’s son in the quiet Andorian countryside, Valeros spent his youth dreaming of adventure and exploring the world. For the past several years, he’s done exactly that, having been a mercenary with the Band of the Mauler, a guard for the Aspis Consortium, a freelance bounty hunter, and hired muscle for a dozen different employers in as many lands. Gone is his youthful naivete, replaced by scars and the resolve of a veteran warrior. Although he possesses a keen wit, he finds the simplest, most direct approach is often the best, and has little patience for convoluted schemes or magical chicanery. While noble at heart, Valeros hides this beneath a jaded, sometimes crass demeanor, often claiming that there’s no better way to end a day’s adventuring than with “an evening of hard drinking and a night of soft company.”

Edited by - SirUrza on 29 May 2008 00:25:58
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  01:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, guys.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  01:14:35  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the help, guys.

No problem. Paizo website seems to be having some trouble, so might not work at the moment. :)

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  01:20:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  04:06:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
James said in the chat room last night that Seltyiel should be Lawful evil, and if he is a sorcerer and bloodlines survive the beta period, he should have the infernal bloodline. He also said they are fighting it out between Seltyiel being a sorcerer or a wizard, but he is definitely leaning toward sorcerer.

Also, for what its worth, Seltyiel will be a fighter when first stated out at 1st level, before multi classing into his arcane class, and that he won't be taking levels of Eldritch Knight.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  05:14:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo rocks.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  06:33:25  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

James said in the chat room last night that Seltyiel should be Lawful evil, and if he is a sorcerer and bloodlines survive the beta period, he should have the infernal bloodline. He also said they are fighting it out between Seltyiel being a sorcerer or a wizard, but he is definitely leaning toward sorcerer.

Yeah I just read that in the Second Darkness forum. You have no idea how often I forget tuesday nights to get onto that chat!

I wonder if my little essay on why he has to be LE helped any in the decision. :)

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  16:23:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noted your presence there SirUrza - a lot of good, thoughtful posts.

Yes, I think I am more impressed with Paizo's inter-active discussions with the community, more then the products they produce (which are phenomenal, BTW). I just can't get over the fact that it is the customers who are helping design the game, and playtesting it.

They have realized that what a limited group of designers (3-7?) think is 'cool', may not be what the rest of the world wants. Thats an amazing amount of self-honesty there.

Much better then just shoveling garbage at your customers, and forcing them to accept it.

Not that anyone I know does that....

except maybe McDonalds...

Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2008 21:52:13
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  19:28:38  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, it's nice to be right, just wondering if my speculations on why were right. :)

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  10:53:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I went and picked up Rise of the Runelords Yesterday all six issues and WOW! Those Runelords were some bad, bad dudes. I liked the Far Realms connection, or should I call it Leng, or Kadath. Man oh man I cant wait for August to get here. It wouldn't suprize me if Paizo stole WotC's thunder at GenCon this year!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  04:28:15  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered the gazeteer

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  04:56:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

-That was a wise choice!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  16:38:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that was my first purchase as well - Linnorm Kings and Mammoth Lords FTW!

So far, I haven't come across one piece of lore that made me go "WTF?". Everything fits together very well.

Can't wait until the CS comes out.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  17:55:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Because they dont have to change the setting around because of lazy designers, that dont want to learn the lore to the setting. Most of the WotC designers know Eberron, but not the Realms. Their are some exeptions to that meaning Rich and Bruce, but most of the new blood know Eberron, not the Realms.
-The more I hear about 4E from those that now have the books and are not under an NDA, has me concerned. Its not the steady Propaganda that Wotc has been spoon feeding us. The Pathfinder playtest is out on the open, not all secret like the 4e playtest has been. If they need to make changes they will but with the gaming community helping. That my friend rocks. Its not 7 people giving D&D their own spin. I told LK on the WotC forums last night that ALL PREVIOUS EDITION LORE IS NOW VOID WITH 4E. That sucks big time!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  22:26:45  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

The Gazeteer is indeed one of the best purchases one can make.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  04:27:35  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to start buying or at least looking into Pathfinder... where do I start? (i.e. there seems to be a lot of products already available! :P)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000