Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Golarion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  16:20:35  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Kia, with your preference for the drow, you'll probably want to check out the newest Pathfinder Adventure Path #13 - Shadow in the Sky and the attached Second Darkness Campaign Guide. They have a very interesting take on the Drow's creation in the game and their special relationship to normal elves. I'd go into more detail, but it's getting close to the realm of spoilers.

Thanks Ashe,

I'll put both those on my shopping list.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  23:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I term as "Warcraft Ears" on elves used to bother me, but I suppose I've gotten used to it. I definitely like their take on the eyes. Overall, the art evokes a sort of alien beauty for me - attractive, but without just being humans with pointed ears.

Also, as far as the Pathfinder/Golarion Drow, I definitely like what I've seen so far. Paizo got a lot of input from the fans regarding what they did and didn't like/want in terms of Drow, and I think it shows in the way they've set things up. Of course, I may be biased because the notion that they used, that the above poster refers to, is one of the ones that I (among others) was a proponent of.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  01:00:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up the campaign setting at gencon, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I wanted the beta rules but they sold the last copy to the person in front of me in line, so gotta head to the comic guy and order a copy.

But I've been readin through the adventure path books and some of the other Gamemastery modules I picked up, and I've really enjoyed them.

As for the elven ears, I've always enjoyed the long anime elf ears. I don't even consider them Warcraft ears because anime has had long ears on elves long before Warcraft has. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Aug 2008 01:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  01:01:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the 'bunny ears' threw me at first, but as a WoW player, its nothing I'm not used to.

Its the "new fantasy" way of things.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Aug 2008 03:07:19
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  04:50:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I was asked to review what I was reading in the campaign setting book, here's what I got so far.

Chapter one contains information about the races and classes and it’s about 47 pages. I really appreciate that they give some text on the languages of the races in terms of how each race names their families/offspring/surnames/familynames/etc.

Dwarves are typical for their race. A dwarf is a dwarf, they smith, they fight orcs/goblins, etc. There is a small paragraph about beards.

Elves, again, are typical elves. However, in Golarion they tend to only craft silver, so they have to trade, usually with dwarves, for any metal armor/weapons/etc that isn’t made out of silver. The section on the Brightness, which, for elves, is basically reincarnation and I found it interesting. They believe that they will be reincarnated into a natural creature, but if they fail to reach enlightenment, they spend several lifetimes being reborn into various creatures – sometimes horrific monsters.

Gnomes on the other hand really were different. They are connected to Fey and if they don’t seek out vivid experiences, the colors of their bodies, hair, and eyes fade until they are pale. However, if a gnome seeks out experiences, they can fight this off. The Bleaching, as it is called, also causes death or insanity. Some gnomes become bleachlings, which stops the Bleaching because they have strong connections to Fey and they stop aging and can use their speak with animal powers without restriction to burrowing animals. They also change class to druid.

Half-elves, as usual, are a race that doesn’t fit into human nor elven societies. However, they have a strong connection to psionics and psicrystals.

Half-orcs have a few homelands and they also fit in with the orc societies. Humans, of course, tend to distrust them.

Halflings, like in most other settings, live alongside humans. They are servants to humans, or slaves, depending on which city/nation/etc they reside in. They also have the hairy feet that was removed in a lot of the lore about the race in some campaign settings.

The human subraces I mostly skimmed but they looked interesting. There’s the Norse type, the Gypsy type, Asian type, etc. All in all there are 11 human subraces.

The last page of the race section has a page of text and on that page are short paragraphs about aasimar, boggards, centaurs, derro, drow, giants, gnolls, goblins and goblinkin, kobolds, lizardmen, orcs, sahuagin, tieflings, and troglodytes. Dragons, duergar, harpies, intellect devourers, kitsune, minotaurs, ogre magi, rakshasas, and tritons are also mentioned in passing but they are not given any text in the race/class chapter.

The rest of the chapter has one page spreads on the break down of the PHB classes. Each break down has text about the class, then favored regions, and a small paragraph about class abilities. Each class, at the top of the page, also has a paragraph of mechanics for the class ability section. Clerics, for instance, can take their deities favored weapon, use their class level as their Basic Attack Bonus, and their hit die becomes d10.

More later, when I get back to the book.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Aug 2008 04:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  07:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the review. I like what they did with gnomes, sounds very interesting. And given that some people complained about the lack of psionics in Golarian up until now, the tidbit about half-elves shows that they are not forgotten or left out.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 23 Aug 2008 09:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  08:46:25  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah, the 'bunny ears' threw me at first, but as a WoW player, its nothing I'm not used to.

Its the "new fantasy" way of things.

*Professor Tolkien continues to spin angrily in his grave*

Donkey ears on elves and folks accept it.

Ah well, it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  14:39:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember, Kia, the artwork does not define how *you* describe the elves, any more than "branded" campaign guides define our home realms...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  17:08:58  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've remembered that, never-you-worry . And just to be doubly sure I've Tip-exed out the offending ears.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:29:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I've always portrayed (at least, in my head) the Wood-Elves having the larger-style Ears (a throwback from my Elfquest days), and the 'Gray Elves' (FR's Moon, Sun, and Star) have the small, narrower style (like fey). Wood-Elves, being closer to nature, would require an adaption that allows them to hear sound in the woods better, making this 'more primitive' type of ear more appropriate to them.

I like the more refined City-Elves to have narrow, hgh-pointed ears, that stick-out from their hair, giving them an almost 'antenna-like' look (It gives them that 'Fey' look, I think).

The Donkey-Ears just remind me of an old Shakespearean comedy.

Or maybe Pinnochio...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Aug 2008 19:30:12
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  20:25:14  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind the donkey-eared elves so much if it wasn't for the text telling me that humans find elves to be the epitome of beauty. I think if I woke up next to a donkey-eared lover the musical strains of The Crying Game would begin.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  03:44:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, didn't we have a topic here that didn't include elven ears? Yeah, I know, I didn't help much cause I commented earlier about it. :) Anyhow, moving on! I read a bit more and this is what I've written so far.

Working my way through chapter two, which is about 100 pages. Each of the nations/cities has a small break down about their alignments, capital, notable settlements, ruler, government, languages, and religions. Each is also shown with their heraldry.

The first nation that is detailed is Absalom and it’s given four pages since it is the most popular city in the setting. I thought it was interesting that the city hasn’t ever fallen to invaders but the plains outside the city are packed with ruins from the sieges. The magical items that the 12 council members have, that create food and water, are also very cool. It was also nice that planar races also visit/reside there.

Alkenstar, though, was interesting. They create smoke powder weapons and bombards, and the whole nation is basically a large factory. The bombard, which has only been used twice, that has an 81 inch bore and takes an hour to load, really made me chuckle. This nation received two pages of info.

Another nation, Andoran, kind of didn’t keep my interest to well. There just wasn’t much in this write up that was memorable except that a lot of the nations dislike the people of this nation because Andorans are snooty. However, this has a four page write up.

Belkzen is an orc nation that has two pages. The text on their tribal flags and the text about orc mothers coddling their male children, while their fathers try to toughen up the male children, amused me. At the same time, the female children are ignored, usually because they are stolen during raids.

More, again, when I read a bit more. This section is going to take awhile.

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Aug 2008 03:50:56
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  21:42:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the two pages about Brevoy kind of interesting. The ruling family disappeared without a trace 9 years ago and since than, the leaders of Issia, a nation within Brevoy, have started to seize power. The Observatory is interesting and no one knows who built it except the building is meant to accommodate beings that are taller then humans. Skywatch was built around it and when the rulers of Brevoy disappeared, the city sealed itself and no one has been able to make contact with those that are within.

Cheliax, on the other hand, has four pages and it’s really cool to read about a nation that is ruled over by diabolic worshippers and devils. What can I say, I like fiends. :) The picture of the erinyes sucking face with the male human while the queen looks on from her throne is very amusing. Brastlewark is the largest concentration of gnomes in the world and the city has a lot of alchemists, artists, bards, and wizards. It is also ruled over by a gnome, but he’s really a vessel to the Queen of Cheliax. I also like that the city of Pezzack is a bastion of goodness and the residents are winged, so they are probably aasimar. Senara, though, is a city of tieflings and bloodlines that are infernal. Seven of the main noble houses, out of several hundreds, are listed in a small side bar.

In Druna, everything is there to make money. War, peace, famine, plenty, day, night, spring, autumn, etc, are ways to gather wealth. To me, this nation and its cities would be perfect examples of Waukeen’s faith. :) They also practice sexual and dietary prohibitions, wear white clothing, and cover their hands and arms to avoid contact with each other. The Mercenary League, on the other hand, dresses in all black and they patrol the nation/cities. Kerse, one of the cities, is decorated with bricks flecked with gemstones, stories-tall statues made of precious metals, and rare wood. Magical wards guard everything and the city is constantly scryed. Highhelm is a dwarven settlement and they mine gold there since everything, including the food, has a light gold glitter to it. This place also has enough room to host the Gathering Council, which takes place every 200 years. Lastly, there is another town that is a logging camp. However, I didn’t have much to say about the shipbuilder’s town except that it hints that there are sapphires in the bay. Like many of the other write ups, this one is also two pages.

Galt is a nation that is constantly in a civil war with each other and most of the settlements, in the last 40 years, have fallen to ruin. The Gray Gardeners keep some peace since they are the ones who use the final blades on the populace, which are guillotines that trap your soul, so you can’t be resurrected. There is supposed to be a way to free souls from them, but the Gardeners keep it a secret. Reading this section kind of also reminded me of the revolutions in England since the war in Galt started with some broadsheets about government and the divine right of kings, etc. Oh yea, it is also two pages.

Reading about Geb is another section that made me a bit nauseous. It’s a land that is ruled by undead and it reminds me a lot of Thay, least the Szass Tams section of Thay. However, this nation is one of the two nations that fought each other and created the Mana Wastes. The other nation that was involved in that war was Nex. Geb and his Harlot Queen have ruled Geb for eight millennia and others have tried to destroy them because of the undead that exist in Geb and because of the study of necromancy that takes place in Geb. However, Geb hasn’t ever tried to invade and they would rather trade with their neighbors or influence them subtly. The Axan Wood is home to deadwood dryads, nightwolves, and twilight unicorns, which, I haven’t seen any text about yet but maybe they are later in the book. There are also negative energy creatures in Geb and other shadow creatures. The Field of Maidens made me laugh because they are statues of maidens who tried to invade Geb and Geb turned them to stone. Rumors also involve hordes of mindless undead roaming the nation. The text about Geb is, again, two pages.

Hermea is freaky, least to me. It’s ruled by a male gold dragon, named Mengkare, and you can only become a citizen if you sign the Contract of Citizenship in front of the dragon, which signs over your free will to the dragon to decide how you fit in with the society. However, I’m surprised that this nation is TN since it seems very lawful to me. The nation itself contains the best and the brightest of Golarion and the dragon keeps watch over the citizens to make sure that they don’t disappoint him by failing to meet their standards. The nation is clean and there is no crime, no religion, etc since the dragon doesn’t allow anyone who doesn’t sign the Contract access past the high sandstone walls. Oh yea, again with the two pages. :)

Irrisen is ruled over by Baba Yaga’s offspring but it once belonged to the Linnorm Kings. However, about 1,400 years ago she stepped out of the Great Beyond with a horde of trolls and ice fey and conquered the nation in 23 days and her, and her descendents, have ruled it ever since. Every inch of the nation has an unnatural chill and cold, which could be dispelled or altered by epic level magic. In the Hoarwood, which is a petrified tree, resides the White Witch Anelisha and her brother, Ghrathis, who is also her lover. Baba Yaga, every 100 years, also returns and takes her current ruling offspring with her to visit other worlds, times, and dimensions. Fascinating nation. Oh yea, of course there is also Baba Yaga’s Hut and it, of course, wanders around. Another write up that are two pages and the pic of the current ruling queen, who is soon going to be taken by Baba Yaga, is a bit freaky looking.

Again, more when I get to it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  01:25:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good stuff Kuje. Thanks.

I'm hopeful that the campaign setting will at least be close to release here. I'll have a look for it today [since I think the Knights of the Old Republic sourcebook has finally been released as well].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Aug 2008 01:26:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  01:30:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. I was wondering if anyone had been readin the last few posts. :) Good luck finding it and I should have some more to post in a day or two. *Really lookin forward to the demon nation, but its 60 pages away.*

Oddly, Amazon says the beta rules aren't for sale yet, not till the 3rd but Paizo has been selling them since Gencon, both at Gencon and at their site.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This is good stuff Kuje. Thanks.

I'm hopeful that the campaign setting will at least be close to release here. I'll have a look for it today [since I think the Knights of the Old Republic sourcebook has finally been released as well].

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  01:35:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! That "demon nation" sounds kinda neat. I'm also keen on learning more about this Cheliax realm. It may become a fine addition for my long-running and annual one-shot "Blood War" campaigns.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Aug 2008 01:36:24
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  01:57:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I've been thinking of plots for both nations for my demonic Faerun/Planar single player email game thats been going on for almost six years now!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! That "demon nation" sounds kinda neat. I'm also keen on learning more about this Cheliax realm. It may become a fine addition for my long-running and annual one-shot "Blood War" campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  06:23:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isgar is a vassal state of Cheliax and the ruler, Hedvend VI, is an errand boy to the Queen when she calls on him. There isn’t much for me to say about the two pages of this nation except that in the caves under the Chitterwood are hordes of goblins and goblinkin. Cheliax, after the last war, has also sent many followers of Asmodeus into the nation after the war to indoctrinate the orphans. The largest monastery, the Sisters of the Golden Erinyes, also known as the Devil Nuns, teach them martial arts called Hamatulatsu, which is patterned after barded devils. At the bottom of this section is a small side bar with text on the bandits that are currently on the wanted list, since a lot of the nation has been given over to banditry.

The nation of Jalmeray is a nation that has connections with dao, efreeti, djinn, and other elemental beings. The three greatest monasteries are known at the Houses of Perfection but it takes a lot of challenges to be accepted to one of those three. However, there are lesser monasteries that are willing to train people, as long as they pass the trials. Once a decade the three Houses meet in friendly competition for tournaments on history, unarmed fighting, archery, etc, and the Champions are given steel medallions. Niswan, one of the cities, has a district where eunuchs can be seen as well as dark-skinned princes that have trains of virgins in tow as they give offerings to deities. Something howls below Padiskar, a community of fisherman and farmers, and the rumors are either it’s a deity or a spirit of some kind.

I really enjoyed the two pages about Katapesh. It reminded me a lot of Sigil in that anything you want could be bought. Slaves, drugs, diseases, weapons, armor, diabolic contracts, cursed and corrupt magics, magical components, like the tears of a new moon, a madman’s dreams, or the screams of a thrice-slain virgin, etc. The Nightstalls Market is watched over by a tiefling named Khafira Blacktongue and her Duskwalker Guild and they take a cut of every transaction. The nation itself is a melting pot of any race and even some planar races that come to shop. Slaves of all races can also be purchased. However, the nation is also beset by gnolls but even the rulers have offered them a place to trade, if they so wish. Near the border of Nex are a line of 20-foot tall pointed menhirs that attract lightening. Zolurket, an abandoned mine, is said to be haunted.

The elven lands of Kyonin sound interesting but as I said earlier about the elven race, elven lands are elven lands. A lot of this reminded me a lot of Evermeet. The elves have gates that let them travel across the world, and the one in the main capital can be used to reach the place they went to when they left Golarion. However, unlike Evermeet, there is a settlement, called Greengold, which is a place for humans. Also, the demon Cyth-V’gug, the Lord of Filth and Pollution, sent Treerazer to the Prime and this demon slowly corrupted the elven lands and once the elves realized this, they returned and drove him mostly out of the forest. Except he still controls a part of the forest, since they couldn’t totally expel the entrenched demon, and that part of the forest is now known as Tanglebriar.

Lastwall is a settlement that sprang up around Gallowspire, which is now the prison of Tar-Baphon, a witch-king. I don’t have much to say about this nation. They have heavy cavalry that is legendary and mostly their only purpose is to guard Gallowspire.

The two pages about Linnorm reminded me a lot of ancient Norse. They are mostly Vikings and raiders and their land is cold, rainy, and snowy. This land also has a strong connection to the First World, the land of the fey and a lot of fey reside in the wilderness of Linnorm. The dragons, which this land is named after, are the original dragons of Golarion before the “true” dragons arrived. I also enjoyed the reference to Valenhall in Arcadia. I also appreciated that Halgrim, one of the settlements, is ruled over by a female king, which is a title used by both genders. Ice Spire also seemed interesting and it’s a linnorm dungeon that could be further explored.

Still reading and I have about 50ish pages left in this chapter. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Aug 2008 07:04:05
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  08:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds very interesting, and I am very tempted to purchase a copy of the book. I am not sure if it has arrived in Germany yet.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  18:13:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you do want to purchase a Paizo book, I recommend either going through their site or through Amazon.com. I haven't seen their books on the shelves yet on the stores, so I think this is the best way to get a copy.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  18:33:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess it depends on where you live. My two gaming stores, well one is a comic store, has had the books for months. And I just picked up the beta rules at the noncomic store.

quote:

If you do want to purchase a Paizo book, I recommend either going through their site or through Amazon.com. I haven't seen their books on the shelves yet on the stores, so I think this is the best way to get a copy.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  19:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As of now, I have ordered my Pathfinder books directly at Paizo (being Classic Monster revisited, which is backordered, and Dragons revisited, which is preordered ). Having just checked my (Online-)Gamestore, where I have bought my D&D and FR books, the Pathfinder CS is announced, but not yet available (not even the price is given). They will have it, but nobody knows when. So I will most likely order it directly at Paizo.

Varl

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  21:34:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Guess it depends on where you live. My two gaming stores, well one is a comic store, has had the books for months. And I just picked up the beta rules at the noncomic store.

quote:

That's definitely a factor. I live in Minnesota and I'm having some difficulty finding a reliable gaming/comic book store right now.

Also, I figured it would be easier for Ayunken-vanzan since he's in Germany.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  05:44:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mammoth Lords is sandwiched between Irrisen and the Worldwound, the land of the demons. This two page section reminded me a lot of the Journey to the Center of the Earth books/movies and old North America. It has dinos, mammoths, aurochs, bison, smilodons (saber-tooth cats), giant sloths, and other large animals. Rumors exist that these came from an underworld where humans never emerged from primitives and the animals ruled. Pathfinders who have entered this supposed world have never returned. Tolguth is a warm area of the nation and it has large plants and more large animals like t-rex, etc. The people of this nation also take young giants and befriend them and teach them their ways, making them part of their families.

Mediogalti, btw, that name is a pain to spell. :) is a jungle isle of the Red Mantis assassins. This section is the typical two pages and a lot of the text is about the assassins. However, there are a few paragraphs about Ilizmagorti, the only settlement on the isle except for the Crimson Citadel, which is the headquarters of the assassins. The other write up is about a famous crypt that is said to be haunted by the dwarven pirate, and his slaves, that it is named after. The rest of the text is about duels and how they are used.

Mendev, for a change, is given four pages since it seems to be an important land since it guards the border to the Worldwound, which are the demonic lands. This nation is up to it’s forth Crusade, which contains many armies, etc, from many different lands and they patron/guard to keep the Worldwound from spreading. The Wardstones, which are also along the border, are pretty interesting and they help, for now, nullify the demonic spread. There are not a lot of ruins in this nation except for Icerift Castle, which is half complete but it’s never been finished and the workers and garrison, when it was to be abandoned, were found with their hearts torn out. Jutland Wrecks is the other dungeon and it is a graveyard of ships and it’s filled with undead, nixies, and ice sprites. To me, this nation kind of reminded me of old Spain with the burning of the witches/fiends/fiendish worshippers, etc.

Molthune is given, as usual, two pages. It was once a region of Cheliax but it has since become independent. This nation has two types of citizens, those that are Imperial Citizens and then indentured servants, which are mostly laborers. I kind of got a bit of a Roman vibe from that. :) Anyhow, the army is mostly human but as long as you follow orders, they allow monstrous troops. The army has hobgoblins, centaurs, gollix serpents (a type of naga), and lawful lycans. Backar Forest is home to the fey like sprites, satyrs, twigjacks, horrorwisps, and odder fey. Eranmas is the ship yard. For Ramgate, however, is almost complete and it is built on the border of Nirmathas because it will be the base that is used to invade Nirmathas. I really thought it was cool that the wizards animated the scarecrows to help harvest the crops, etc, since the land is low on laborers. And lastly there are the three towers called Trilmsgitt Towers. They were built by three wizard brothers, Nyl, Fedge, and Ciuq, and the towers are connected to one another by planar portals and teleports. However, the three brothers haven’t been heard from in quite awhile, so they might be dead but no one seems to know if that is true or not.

Mwangi Expanse seems like a killer version of Chult mixed in with some other types of jungles. This section is given four pages as well. One part of the jungle, named Usaro, is ruled over by intelligent apes and their leader is King Ruthazek and they are known as the Spawn of Angazhan. Bloodcove is a city of pirate law and kill or be killed. The Doorway to the Red Star is a ring of crimson that hangs, humming, in empty space. Kibwe, on the otherhand, is a oasis-city that is a meeting place of races, elves, humans, giants, kobolds, scorpionfolk, and stranger beings. Mzali is the land that is ruled over by Walkena, a walking child-mummy. Nantambu is home to Golarion’s oldest arcane academy, Magaambya. Dimari-Diji, Final Tree of the Elder World, resides in Osibu and it is probably the oldest being on Golarion and it is a treant.

I mentioned Nex earlier in my review in relation to Geb. This two page write up contains the text about Geb’s nemesis, but Nex has been gone for centuries. I really don’t have much to say about this nation. It has a lot of wizards and arcane casters and it’s a cosmopolitan city, allowing many races. The lake of oozes, in Oenopion, though was kind of cool and this city also has a large golemworks.

Nidal is the realm of Shadows and is ruled over by Zon-Kuthon, a powerful entity from the Plane of Shadow. There’s not much I have to say about this land... it’s filled with Shadows and Shadow-like beings, oh and there’s a vampire enforcer for the Black Triune of Pangolais, one of the cities. However, the followers of Desna, the goddess of Luck and Dreams, have been trying to break the hold Zon-Kuthon has over this part of Golarion.

Nirmathas, which is named after Nirmath, a half-elf, is another nation with two pages of text. As I said in Molthune’s entry, these two nations are at war with each other. However, this nation is mostly forest and the people are mostly small settlements of different tribes, etc. The forest is called the Fangwood and it is slowly being rotted by blightwood fey under the leadership of the corrupted dryad named Arlantia. The Marching Springs sounded cool and they are geyser like sprouts of water that erupt every three minutes in random spots that never happen twice.

Numeria is a weird land. Not sure what to think about this part of Golarion but like most of the write ups, it’s given two pages. It’s weird to me because it’s a land where a space ship had fallen to ground and the barbarian people have taken different metals, etc, from the ruins and used the metals to make items. Adamantine, for instance, is one of the metals. Automata are also another thing from the ruins but every so often one of them will disobey an order.

And, still reading. Getting closer to finishing the geography chapter!

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Aug 2008 05:47:43
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  13:28:26  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice Kuje

I just bought Guide to Darkmoon Vale, I'm surprised how good it looks, hope there will be more such detailed products
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:27:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks and I agree these books are beautful and I've said so to a few people in private discussions.

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

nice Kuje

I just bought Guide to Darkmoon Vale, I'm surprised how good it looks, hope there will be more such detailed products

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:43:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! More great material. I don't even know where to start with some of the ideas that have come flowing from reading these latest tidbits. There's just so many.

Keep it coming Kuje!

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Aug 2008 16:44:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  17:52:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we should petition Paizo to add-in a university of scholars, perched on Sea-cliff, called LanternKeep?

Then we could just change the name of this site.

I kid! I KID!!!

In truth, though, I get that same 'tingly' sensation when I read the Paizo stuff as I did when I read through the 1e and 2e FR setting boxes.

The FRCG makes me feel like I'm reading something I was assigned in school - like I HAVE TO read it, so I just mull through it.

Not saying its bad... I just don't get that feeling of excitement, like I used to, where I can't wait to turn the next page. In fact, its one of the few FR books I ever just flipped around through, and didn't want to read cover-to-cover.

I don't think this is a quality issue, so much as it is a style issue - the presentation is just so... textbook.

Golarion seems to have re-captured that old-school RPG flavor, and I'm glad the torch has been passed to a worthy successor.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Aug 2008 05:10:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  18:14:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an eBay seller selling the book for $28 and free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180282376563

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  18:30:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the book as well and I'm enjoying Kuje's review. And, because of everyone here being such a HUGE fan of the 'little things', consider this: There are two pages EACH dedicated to Fauna and Flora...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000