Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  09:57:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know, for some deranged reason
i always figured that Neveren’s Betrayal was an elven thinblade....

if i remembered which page it was id look myself, the page where they were discussing it in depths of madness.

thinblade( see races of the wild or CW, preferably ROF)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 03 Apr 2008 10:09:01
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  16:47:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

you know, for some deranged reason
i always figured that Neveren’s Betrayal was an elven thinblade....

if i remembered which page it was id look myself, the page where they were discussing it in depths of madness.

thinblade( see races of the wild or CW, preferably ROF)

Excellent question! (And the pages you mean are 77-78.)

Suffice it to say that:

Flavor-wise, Betrayal is intended (by me) to be a slightly modified rapier that is a little shorter than the standard length--which isn't at all unusual, actual swords varied a good deal in history. People had all different sorts of blades and crossguards and hilts and balances to match their individual styles. Betrayal could easily have been specially commissioned to match a particular fencer, who was *not*--for the record--initially Twilight.

It is worth noting also that Betrayal is not a "modern" sword (that is, late 14th century model) but was, rather, forged in another era.

(Quoth Twilight: "One of the first Hizaghuur weapons ever crafted in the Northland, long before the rise of Cormanthyr, in the days when elves and dwarves traded freely . . . 'twas a commission--and not by me." [p. 78] Of course, she might well be lying or just be mistaken at this point--being under 100 years old, she's certainly not dispensing first-hand information about it.)

And under the conventions of fencing in that other era, blades may have been a bit shorter. Symbolically, the shorter the blade, the braver one has to be; if anything, a short rapier like Twilight's hails from a period of fierce, toe-to-toe fencing practice.

That Twilight's companions brought up a conversation about her sword doesn't reflect that it's a different weapon altogether--only that it is unusually short--and perhaps that it is curiously shaped around the hilt. This is for a kind of fencing I call reversed-arm fencing, whereby instead of holding your arm out in front of you, you cock it around to shorten up the thrusting length, aiding in sudden close-combat situations (e.g., when you step inside your opponent's guard to negate their reach).

(Note: this is a cheap, devilish sort of trick to play on a taller fencer, particularly one--like me--who is used to distance fighting. Take away my reach, and I'm practically beaten. But I digress.)

And, on that note, a shortened length reflects Twilight's individual style, which incorporates a great deal of close-in, dirty sort of fighting, and her evolution as a fencer.

Initially (mechanically: as a 1st level rogue with the dodge feat--or, if you prefer, a 1st level thief in 1e and 2e), the girl who would become Fox-at-Twilight used a shortsword, which was what she had access to at the time, and her style developed with blades of that size. She was a frantic, strike-from-hiding, jab-jab-jab-and-hope-I-don't-die sort of fighter, lacking the grace and finesse that is reflected mechanically in the swashbuckler class.

She only switched to the rapier under the tutelage of whoever it was who taught her fencing, and at that point close-in fighting was so deeply embedded in her style that she preferred to use a shorter rapier than was the norm, rather than relearn far-distance fencing (though she can do that also, of course, by this level). And fortunately for her . . . but the rest is purposefully ambiguous history.

And speaking mechanically:

There aren't really mechanics devised for swords of a slightly different shape. A curved longsword and a straight longsword do the same thing: 1d8, 19-20/x2, Slashing. So a rapier and a slightly shorter rapier (albeit unusually made in terms of the grip and hilt for use in reversed arm fencing) are mechanically the same: a rapier, 1d6, 18-20/x2, piercing.

Also, mechanically speaking, a thinblade is an exotic weapon and the 3.5e FR rules do not support Twilight using one (well, we *could* build her that way, but she'd be losing one of her precious feats, not to mention having trouble qualifying for her PrCs--it's not really worth it). Also, I dimly recall thinking that a thinblade is *longer* than a standard rapier, which would make it an unlikely analog.

And of course, finally, in your campaign you can have her using whatever weaponry you want!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  17:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Why do you think she got kicked out that one time?

Who would've thought that spiking the scribes' watered ale or dancing on top of open books--
I've heard it said that Twilight also taught our famed Calishite dancing girls a move, or three.

We have Calishite dancing girls?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  17:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

quote:

Why do you think she got kicked out that one time?

Who would've thought that spiking the scribes' watered ale or dancing on top of open books--
I've heard it said that Twilight also taught our famed Calishite dancing girls a move, or three.

No! No! we absolutely do not have Calishite dancing girls! *Looks around for Big Al* Absolutley not!

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  17:31:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Suffice it to say that:
Great stuff Erik!

Your interest in fencing must have been of great use when developing this aspect of Twilight's particular fighting style. Well done.
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Perhaps I've said too much already. But, I will add that there are certain privileges that come with the rank of "Great Reader" here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  09:38:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another question, her swashbuckler lvls, so let me get this straight, they are treated as 1 lvl higher, does that mean the dc or class abilities, as insightful strike is a lvl 3 feature.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  03:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question--to clarify:

The PrC Uncanny Trickster (from the Complete Scoundrel) gives, at 2nd and 3rd level, a bump in "class features" for one of the character's pre-existing classes.

For instance, a 6th level rogue/1st level uncanny trickster goes up to 8th level, chooses to increase uncanny trickster, gets this increase, and applies it (naturally) to rogue, thus gaining the sneak attack abilities of a 7th level rogue.

In Twilight's case, she has two class feature bumps, which are applied to swashbuckler and shadowdancer respectively, giving her the class abilities of a swashbuckler 3 and a shadowdancer 5.

This does not apply to saving throw increases, hit dice, etc.--only to class features for those two classes.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  04:12:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good question--to clarify:

The PrC Uncanny Trickster (from the Complete Scoundrel) gives, at 2nd and 3rd level, a bump in "class features" for one of the character's pre-existing classes.

For instance, a 6th level rogue/1st level uncanny trickster goes up to 8th level, chooses to increase uncanny trickster, gets this increase, and applies it (naturally) to rogue, thus gaining the sneak attack abilities of a 7th level rogue.

In Twilight's case, she has two class feature bumps, which are applied to swashbuckler and shadowdancer respectively, giving her the class abilities of a swashbuckler 3 and a shadowdancer 5.

This does not apply to saving throw increases, hit dice, etc.--only to class features for those two classes.

Cheers

Uncanny Trickster is quickly becoming one of my all-time favourite PrCs... I have a PC that made good use of that build:

Bard 6/Lyric Thaumaturge 3/Shadow Adept 1/Shadowcraft Mage 1/Uncanny Trickster 3/Sublime Chord 1

I applied both UncTrick "class feature bumps" to Sublime Chord (each level increases your bard ability by one, and accelerates your bard spells progression)

Mod edit: replaced all the underscores in that build with spaces, because it was stretching out the page.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2008 05:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  22:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, now *that's* a build--really makes you think about the bard being the "lowly fifth" character in an adventuring band. I have no doubt your bard could mop the floor with lovely Twilight!

Complete Scoundrel is one of my favorite sourcebooks as well. I saw so much in there I wondered if Mike hadn't peered into my mind and seen all the goodies I wanted.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  01:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that bards do not by any means deserve their reputation as weak. Needless to say, I love playing them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  09:51:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the class is weak, combat wise.

i use a bard myself for and only for:
secondary healer, archer with crossbows, and someone to stand back and protect the arcane casters. and it excels at those well enough.

but a light repeating +4 holy crossbow with its ammo with drow paralyzing poison or the limblock poison is well an interesting picture to paint in my mind........

speaking of which, i wonder can one have one of those repeating crossbows set up for unlimited ammo, like the quivers that always produced extra arrows??

oh by every god and his mother, get that out of my head..........

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, sfdragon, needless to say I see the class as having much more potential than you described.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2008 :  10:18:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, sfdragon, needless to say I see the class as having much more potential than you described.

well now, they make good diplomats too, as well as buffers.
i can also say that I have even less use for sorcerers.

most of my bard characters just end up annoying me, and that one of Obsidian, whats his name Grobnar was just annoyingly ammusing.

cast too many charm spells but a good archer

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 08 Apr 2008 10:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  19:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that bards are particularly the subject of this thread, but since we're chatting about it anyway . . .

Bards shine in my campaigns, 'Lyrna, owing to them (my campaigns, that is) being not much about combat, generally. My games tend to be roleplay-intensive, and bards tend to make excellent characters to portray. They have a depth of character built into them that some of the other classes (perhaps the more mechanically stimulating ones) tend to lack.

Which is not to say, of course, that one can't RP one's 1st level human fighter to true RPing greatness! The bard's mechanics just *force* it to be roleplayed well.

One of the games I ran last year at GenCon (and am running the sequel again this year) has no dice-rolling at all and is entirely about RPing--combat and everything.

I do agree, SFD, that they tend to be a little weak on the combat side, mechanically, but if you get into a fight with your bard, you probably made a mistake somewhere along the line!

What is that D&D motivation poster . . .

BLUFF: If you've got enough ranks in it, you don't NEED combat skills.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  00:37:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bards shine in my campaigns, 'Lyrna, owing to them (my campaigns, that is) being not much about combat, generally. My games tend to be roleplay-intensive, and bards tend to make excellent characters to portray. They have a depth of character built into them that some of the other classes (perhaps the more mechanically stimulating ones) tend to lack.
I tend to agree for the most part. But I think it's also partly intentional favoritism from the DM. Along with wizards, bards are my favorite character class. And as such, I like my bardic characters to be completely detailed, with extensive histories, character analysis, etc. I've even gone as far as actually writing samples of sheet music that the bard will play during role-play sessions with instruments that closely resemble their Realms equivalents. Needless to say, the rest of the group always et a real kick out of our games whenever my bards enter a tavern or local inn with them, because they know the music isn't far behind.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  13:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book THE DEPTHS OF MADNESS

That was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read.. wauu

And I hat to admit it but… I was fooled in to believing it was Twilight

Brilliant written and thought off Erik Scott de Bie

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  14:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bards shine in my campaigns, 'Lyrna, owing to them (my campaigns, that is) being not much about combat, generally. My games tend to be roleplay-intensive, and bards tend to make excellent characters to portray.

I can tell you are the type who likes bards, especially since they pop up in a lot of your fiction.

quote:
BLUFF: If you've got enough ranks in it, you don't NEED combat skills.

Heh!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've even gone as far as actually writing samples of sheet music that the bard will play during role-play sessions with instruments that closely resemble their Realms equivalents. Needless to say, the rest of the group always et a real kick out of our games whenever my bards enter a tavern or local inn with them, because they know the music isn't far behind.

Now that's what I call intense roleplaying...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  15:01:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
I've even gone as far as actually writing samples of sheet music that the bard will play during role-play sessions with instruments that closely resemble their Realms equivalents. Needless to say, the rest of the group always et a real kick out of our games whenever my bards enter a tavern or local inn with them, because they know the music isn't far behind.

Now that's what I call intense roleplaying...

Sage is also far more musically inclined than most of us. I think that's a major part of it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  15:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sage is also far more musically inclined than most of us. I think that's a major part of it.

Of course.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  17:23:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, it is. The players in my group know that if I've been working on a piece of music during my own time, it'll likely feature in our campaigns at some point.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  18:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Thanks you Victor. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

When you say you were fooled--do you mean by the cover art?

quote:

quote:

Aye, it is. The players in my group know that if I've been working on a piece of music during my own time, it'll likely feature in our campaigns at some point.

Well done, Sage--I compliment that sort of multimedia savvy!

Bardic music is important in my campaigns, though I stop short of making the player sing (mostly for the sake of everyone around the table). I do, however, insist that the bard's player come up with what the song to inspire courage is about--what heroic deeds are you singing about? What epic story are you telling?

If it's particularly apt for the characters/setting/scenario (i.e. mechanically, if I feel like it), then it gives an extra bonus.

A bard commemorating the battle of the Red Knight in the ToT for a battle in which the characters are coordinating their tactics and holding off a horde of monsters through intelligence rather than brute force . . . that would be very apt.

But the inspire heroism based on the epic struggle of the bard's pet gold fish, well . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  20:19:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i bought that book because of the cover, i like elves and ropers.
didnt know the cleric was going to ...... well i wont spoil it for anyone else.

oh, and if i got in a fight with my bard, then well id have to check myself in to some insane asylum while eravan laughs his head off.

btw, my current bard character, i have changed his levels around and after looking at fox's stats i decided to add a few levels of swashbuckler to my warchanter.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  20:27:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

can you post some of it??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  20:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But the inspire heroism based on the epic struggle of the bard's pet gold fish, well . . .

Well, what? That could be epic!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  01:58:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bardic music is important in my campaigns, though I stop short of making the player sing (mostly for the sake of everyone around the table).
Fortunately, my current campaign group is composed of two ensemble vocalists and a violinist, so they each know a little something about music. At times, our games can sound somewhat like an impromptu classical/folk choir when the opportunity for musical play comes into the campaign.
quote:
I do, however, insist that the bard's player come up with what the song to inspire courage is about--what heroic deeds are you singing about? What epic story are you telling?
Neat. I love developing the backgrounds for songs which may feature in a campaign. It's not really something you can get into when the PC's are listening to a minstrel weaving her tale at the local inn. But if there are bardic characters among my players [and there are two in my current group], I expect that when they engage in a little musical play, they know something about what they're singing.
quote:
A bard commemorating the battle of the Red Knight in the ToT for a battle in which the characters are coordinating their tactics and holding off a horde of monsters through intelligence rather than brute force . . . that would be very apt.
I agree.

I've kinda delved a little further than that, though. My current passion at the moment, is trying to write music for the various Realms instruments that have been referenced in the Realmslore. Granted, it's hard to write music for instruments you've never heard being played, but some of them have Earth equivalents, and I usually attempt to use that as a basis. So that, when a bardic character plays a tocken or a yarting, we'll all have *some* idea of what they sound like.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  02:00:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

can you post some of it??

Hmmm... I suppose I could try. Obviously, I can't post images of my sheet music here [due to the inability to post images directing into posts], but I can scan one or two portions and temporarily upload them to one of FTPs I use for work.

Is there anything you'd like to see in particular?

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  08:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks you Victor. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

When you say you were fooled--do you mean by the cover art?

quote:

quote:

Well done, Sage--I compliment that sort of multimedia savvy!

Bardic music is important in my campaigns, though I stop short of making the player sing (mostly for the sake of everyone around the table). I do, however, insist that the bard's player come up with what the song to inspire courage is about--what heroic deeds are you singing about? What epic story are you telling?

If it's particularly apt for the characters/setting/scenario (i.e. mechanically, if I feel like it), then it gives an extra bonus.

Cheers

No… I am thinking of the end in the book when the main villa reveled himself

I usually don’t read your books, but this book made me think otherwise. If you could recommend some other book whit the same kind of surprise in the end, ore as well written as this one, I would be glad to know.

Keep up the good work

Vic

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 15 Apr 2008 17:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  17:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see--so I gotcha with the mystery!

Though if you please, we might ease off the spoilers?!! Would you edit your post to remove that line? I'd be much obliged.

quote:

I usually don’t read your books, but this book made me think otherwise.

Ouch! Seriously--but I'm glad this one changed your mind!

And if you're a big fan, you might consider posting a review on Amazon or the like. I would be very pleased to read your feedback, and I love the press.

quote:
If you could recommend some other book whit the same kind of surprise in the end, ore as well written as this one, I would be glad to know.

There's only one other novel out there by me as-yet, which is Ghostwalker. Also twisty, also action-packed. If you haven't read that one, you might give it a try.

If you want to read more about Twilight, she features in "The Greater Treasure," a short story in the Realms of the Elves anthology. The story takes place in 1362, so it predates Depths.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  10:09:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so which paragon path acrobat or master infiltrator?

leaning toward master infiltrator since the shadowdancer is gone.
rogue 10/ master infiltrator 5( or 9 in the years to coome gamewise)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000