Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  15:33:36  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame it on all the one-eyed Kyklopses out there Wooly. Erik had to correct me too. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  17:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I blame it on all the one-eyed Kyklopses out there Wooly. Erik had to correct me too. :-)

Pah--feel free to pronounce it however you like.

An excellent story could be crafted around Cythara changing the pronounciation of her name (from KITH to SITH, for instance) in order to emphasize breaking free of her old life.

In fact . . . I wonder if that wasn't my intention all along?

Mysterious pathways of thought and verbalization--abound!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  05:56:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooh the stats of the lovely fox at twilight.....

looking for these, so tell me, will she survive the spellplague and will there be another novel with her in it?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  01:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I hope you enjoy them, SFD--I've used them myself with my own tabletop group. Made her past a big part of the story actually--she's one of the major players. Revelations. The whole shubang. A good time had by all.

(Sorry Sage! I'd invite you to our sessions but the commute might be too long. )

quote:
looking for these, so tell me, will she survive the spellplague and will there be another novel with her in it?

As I mentioned in my author thread . . . I dunno. We'll see!

(Uh oh, Tom . . . we might need Twilight 4e stats too!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  02:13:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

I hope you enjoy them, SFD--I've used them myself with my own tabletop group. Made her past a big part of the story actually--she's one of the major players. Revelations. The whole shubang. A good time had by all.
Sounds kinda neat Erik. If I ever have the opportunity to feature Twilight in any of my campaigns, it would be her history that I'd like to explore.
quote:
(Sorry Sage! I'd invite you to our sessions but the commute might be too long. )
Indeed. There's no doubt in my mind though, that it'd be more than likely worth the trip.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  15:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sounds kinda neat Erik. If I ever have the opportunity to feature Twilight in any of my campaigns, it would be her history that I'd like to explore.

Oh yes. Twilight's had an eventful life, as hinted in my writing about her thus far. My tabletop group gets private insight into her history and life, and has got to shape some of the events, actually.

quote:
quote:
Indeed. There's no doubt in my mind though, that it'd be more than likely worth the trip.

One of these GenCons . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  19:46:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey is she one of those missing elven princesses from evermeet??

oh and you know you could send her through that time portal to bypass the plague altogether

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  22:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One never knows . . . I'm sure she's used that particular lie a few times.

quote:
oh and you know you could send her through that time portal to bypass the plague altogether

Mmm. Always possible--assuming there really *is* such a time portal. Where might that be?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:52:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

One never knows . . . I'm sure she's used that particular lie a few times.

quote:

Mmm. Always possible--assuming there really *is* such a time portal. Where might that be?

Cheers

ANDRIO'S GATE: The Reach happens to contain one of Toril's few functioning time gates; a useful tool for bringing characters forward beyond the Wailing Years (1385 DR to 1395 DR) to a more stable time period for campaign play. The time gate is located within Mount Andrus, a volcanic peak within the Orsraun Mountains on Turmish's western frontier. There the time gate has survived millennia despite several volcanic eruptions, shielded from the monstrous heat and the effects of the Spellplague by powerful, and some would say divine, wards. Adrio's Gate is activated by speaking the name of a year as given in the Roll of Years then stepping through the gate's event horizon.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a

sending my characters through it, well save the ones im killing off, as there are no current way to rebuild them.

namely a halfling/ fighter 7/ dark hunter 5/ invisible blade 5/ divine champion 5.... must die.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  16:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, sfd--I did not know about that gate!

This will be a very helpful reference for me, particularly if/when I convert my present tabletop FR game into 4e.

I wonder if there'll be some trick to get them to speak the proper name of the year . . . hrmm . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  09:59:54  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a dc check to know that your looking at an active portal and which one afaiwg.( as far as i would guess)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  15:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that would work to identify the portal as a portal, and figure out its function, but my curiosity is about speaking the name of the Year of the Ageless One.

You'd have no way of knowing the proper name of the year in question, I don't think, unless you had access to a printed roll of years, and even then, you don't know how far in the future to go.

I suppose you'd need someone *sending you* to the future for a particular task--or perhaps you discovered some dusty scroll that contains instructions, or just the words "The Ageless One" written rather cryptically, perhaps in blood.

Everything looks more cryptic written in blood, aye?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  16:57:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You'd have no way of knowing the proper name of the year in question, I don't think, unless you had access to a printed roll of years, and even then, you don't know how far in the future to go.
Sounds like Twilight should be spending more time at Candlekeep -- where she can peruse the prophecies of Augathra, Alaundo and others in an attempt to find a reference for the 'Year of the Ageless One.'

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  17:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but if Twilight made it to 1479 DR, are you sure she wouldn't just go scrambling back to the year she came from in horror?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  17:07:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Provided it's not all part of Erevan's plan for Fox... of course.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  18:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Come on, like she'd do something just because Erevan wanted her to.

At least, that's my take on the matter.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Apr 2008 18:11:56
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  20:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like Twilight should be spending more time at Candlekeep -- where she can peruse the prophecies of Augathra, Alaundo and others in an attempt to find a reference for the 'Year of the Ageless One.'

A treasure indeed, free time to stay at the Keep and just read. I don't imagine those prophecies are very common knowledge. I'm certain Twilight--with her trickster-touched bardic knowledge ability--would have a chance to have glimpsed a few things, but I don't imagine it's common knowledge. (And certainly no PC would know what year to go to hit that legendary 4th edition bullseye of 1479.)

Though . . . I can't imagine Twilight would have the span of attention to do much studying. She's demonstrated a tendency to grow bored of dusty tomes and stuffy scribes and wish to "liven things up" a bit.

Why, the last time she stole a book and bartered her way into Candlekeep, well . . .

*ahem*

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Ah, but if Twilight made it to 1479 DR, are you sure she wouldn't just go scrambling back to the year she came from in horror?

Well, that's assuming she *can* scramble back.

Wouldn't it be just like me, 'Lyrna, to put her in a nightmare from which there *is* no return?

quote:
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

No worries at all, good lady!

You are of course quite welcome to your feelings and opinions on the subject--as is every other hero of FR.

I understand entirely.

(I would like to echo Jaleigh's sentiments on the subject, in that thread regarding her just-announced book. I believe she put it best!)

I pray that I would be able to lure you, 'Lyrna--one of my favorite readers--to take up even a 4e novel with Twilight, but of course I understand if you would avoid it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Come on, like she'd do something just because Erevan wanted her to.

Not purposefully, Lady Lyrna--not purposefully.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  20:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And on that note, I *did* post something regarding Twilight at my blog today. If you're interested.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  21:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, that's assuming she *can* scramble back.

Wouldn't it be just like me, 'Lyrna, to put her in a nightmare from which there *is* no return?

Yes, it would be, indeed...

quote:

No worries at all, good lady!

You are of course quite welcome to your feelings and opinions on the subject--as is every other hero of FR.

I understand entirely.

(I would like to echo Jaleigh's sentiments on the subject, in that thread regarding her just-announced book. I believe she put it best!)

I pray that I would be able to lure you, 'Lyrna--one of my favorite readers--to take up even a 4e novel with Twilight, but of course I understand if you would avoid it.

Aww, I'm so flattered. And by the way, I WOULD read another book by you, even if it was set in the 4E Realms.

quote:

Not purposefully, Lady Lyrna--not purposefully.

Cheers

I figured as much.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  21:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And on that note, I *did* post something regarding Twilight at my blog today. If you're interested.

Cheers

Will check it out...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  21:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, you got me.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  22:26:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he got me too, funny to boot.

as for how far to go, 100 years would do, everybody who would know who you are would be dead. be a great way to steal Elminster's ever smoking pipe a,d escape to another time with it

in fox's case, everyone save those elves and treacherous halfling( insert rude word here).

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:22:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A treasure indeed, free time to stay at the Keep and just read. I don't imagine those prophecies are very common knowledge. I'm certain Twilight--with her trickster-touched bardic knowledge ability--would have a chance to have glimpsed a few things, but I don't imagine it's common knowledge. (And certainly no PC would know what year to go to hit that legendary 4th edition bullseye of 1479.)
There's even a possibility that, should Twilight manage to gain access to them, she may never be able to uncover a worthwhile piece of information about the 'Year of the Ageless One.'

Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. After all, the idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important'.
quote:
Though . . . I can't imagine Twilight would have the span of attention to do much studying. She's demonstrated a tendency to grow bored of dusty tomes and stuffy scribes and wish to "liven things up" a bit.
Twilight would do well to remember Candlekeep's one absolute rule: 'Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed. Here, books are more valuable than people.'

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Apr 2008 01:24:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:26:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

It's already April 2nd for me, so there's no problem.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Twilight would do well to remember Candlekeep's one absolute rule: 'Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed. Here, books are more valuable than people.'

Why do you think she got kicked out that one time?

Who would've thought that spiking the scribes' watered ale or dancing on top of open books--

I will say no more.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  02:49:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who would've thought that spiking the scribes' watered ale or dancing on top of open books--
I've heard it said that Twilight also taught our famed Calishite dancing girls a move, or three.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  14:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alaundo and Augathra's prophecies are cryptic and poetic, not descriptive, and many of them are nothing more than the year names. After all, the idea is not that they definitely refer to large-scale events: sages differ, even after the fact, on what the prophecies refer to. These guys are crazy mystics, not big-man-theory historians, and their visions were not all of the RSE-type events that TSR has trained some of us to think 'important'.

Well said.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  16:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. And I mean, how do you know the retaking of Cormanthyr wasn't just a coincidence, and the "Year of Risen Elfkin" really referred to Twilight "rising" out of the ground on the first day of 1375?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  16:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've heard it said that Twilight also taught our famed Calishite dancing girls a move, or three.

I can neiether confirm nor deny, except to point out that she *does* have those ranks in Perform [dance]. (And not just for the shadowdancer thing.)

If this whole adventuring thing doesn't work out, she could always fall back on being a professional dancer.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  16:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agreed. And I mean, how do you know the retaking of Cormanthyr wasn't just a coincidence, and the "Year of Risen Elfkin" really referred to Twilight "rising" out of the ground on the first day of 1375?

Cheers

Yeah, who says it couldn't refer to that?

And the funny thing is, the retaking of Myth Drannor occured the year before the Year of Risen Elfkin.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000