Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Malenti Curse
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  18:42:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I'm working on this idea for a cut-throat elven piratess. At some point during her infamous career she commits some atrocity against the elven people. For her transgression she is cursed by an elven high-mage. She becomes N'Tel'Quess, Malenti, Abomination. Much like lycanynthropy, every so often she must flee to the black depths of the sea to hunt and kill sentient beings, indulge in a feeding frenzy of bloodlust and murder. Only after can she regain her elven form and return to the surface, the moon and the stars and the sun.

It's still just a germ of an idea, but what do you think? Any suggestions, critiques, comments?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Feb 2015 18:44:06

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  19:09:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, she has been given rapacious powers, but that is part of the curse, to live with the guilt. To re-live it. Her soul is no longer elven. No longer in harmony with the world and the Weave. Arvandor has been taken from her.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  19:23:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sea elves will love this. Must have been a gold elven high-mage.

There again high magic does not often work as intended. So indeed cursed, with the intent to rid evil or at least chaos from the seas, however clearly results in death of good, allies and so on.

Not sure a high-mage can take Arvandor away from her, however the actions even before the curse clearly could have blocked access to there.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 08 Feb 2015 19:24:24
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  20:53:40  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jon Irenicus and Bodhi were supposedly stripped of everything elven about them when they profaned Rillifane's Tree in Suldanesselar...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  01:54:57  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the curse overtakes her, her eyes turn black, nictating membranes flash a painful silver. Fingernails, once, sharpen, lengthen, tear through the skin. Webbing forms between her toes and fingers. Gasping like a fish out of water, she shreds out of her clothes. Her skin ripples, becoming dark and banded, scaly. Cartilaginous ridges erupt behind her ears. Teeth become serrated, sharp and pointed, multiply. Her jaw unhinges. She dives over the gunwales to reap her bloody harvest. To her shame.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Feb 2015 02:22:52
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  08:55:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

becomes N'Tel'Quess, Malenti, Abomination. Much like lycanynthropy, every so often she must flee to the black depths of the sea to hunt and kill sentient beings, indulge in a feeding frenzy of bloodlust and murder.

What next, an elven weredwarf?
If you want sea lycanthropy, there's sea wolf and wereshark already. And it doesn't take HM to do, though giving a form which normally doesn't afflict elves maybe.

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The sea elves will love this. Must have been a gold elven high-mage.
There again high magic does not often work as intended.

There's a sea elven mythal in Serôs - Myth Nantar... But yes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  19:02:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is meant to play on the mysterious connection between the elves and shark-men not an elf that shape changes into a dwarf every time she sets foot below ground. Perhaps the shapechanging/bloodlust thing is a bit too much like lycanthropy. It needs work, that is why I asked for help.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  05:33:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should think that wanting to punish someone for their transgressions would not include punishing innocents for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Making someone turn into a rampaging murderbeast causes a lot of collateral damage, and if she was caught, that'd incite some hostility towards other elves.

I'd go for some sort of isolating effect, myself. Maybe she turns incorporeal and inaudible, incapable of interacting with others. Or she becomes incapable of hurting others in some other way... Maybe turned into a harmless animal, like a rabbit, or becoming an inanimate object...

Or maybe some sort of repulsion/shunning effect. Just being around her makes people not want to be near her or do anything for her.

Or go for another affliction that affects her and no one else, like losing all sense of taste or touch.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000