Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  16:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Great work ! really great ! as usual...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If all of this was compiled into a pdf, I'm sure Big Al would be happy to host it.

And what about this good idea ?

Big Al posted it as part of yesterday's site update. Or you can use the direct links below.

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/tdom-part1.zip
http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/tdom-part2.zip

Bless you for posting all of this. I loved Depths of Madness and this was a delight to find and read.

But one, well two, points -- shouldn't both Slip and Liet actually be of a higher level, Chaotic Evil in alignment, and possess at least a few levels in the Thrall of Demogorgon Prestige Class?
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  17:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Wow, now *that's* a build--really makes you think about the bard being the "lowly fifth" character in an adventuring band. I have no doubt your bard could mop the floor with lovely Twilight!

Complete Scoundrel is one of my favorite sourcebooks as well. I saw so much in there I wondered if Mike hadn't peered into my mind and seen all the goodies I wanted.

Cheers

Yes, Complete Scoundrel is a great book. Myself, I'm big on two feats in particular, the one that combines rogue/swashbuckler abilities as you advance and the 'Deadly Defense' that makes you even more dangerous when, well, fighting defensively. Stand right up and get laid right down!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  12:17:38  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was away on business when 4E came out, so I have no idea on what her 4E stats might look like and would be tempted to wait until PH2 or 3 comes out next year or the year after because she was built by Erik for 3.5E specifically.

As for Slip and Liet, what you see is pre-spoiler information on them. For full write ups, both would change a fair amount.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  20:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depths SPOILERS!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

But one, well two, points -- shouldn't both Slip and Liet actually be of a higher level, Chaotic Evil in alignment, and possess at least a few levels in the Thrall of Demogorgon Prestige Class?

Good points. Tom has the right of it. To further expound:

Well, I never presented Slip as being all that powerful--just clever. That level gives her access to all the powers that she uses in the book. Her patron deity and alignment are listed that way in the PDF so as not to spoil Depths too much. In actuality, they are Demogorgon and CE respectively.

While *Liet* is only a warrior 5 and of the listed alignment, *Gestal* is not statted out in the PDF . . . If he were, likely you'd see a mix of fighter/cleric/thrall of demogorgon and chaotic evil. He would probably be around 20th level, if not actually epic.

END SPOILERS!!!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 22 Jun 2008 20:30:23
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  21:48:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no comment on my version of Fox's 4e stats??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  04:04:52  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reads like you captured a lot of her powers sfdragon, though I'm not sure if her levels should drop under 4E or not, but like I said, without having had a chance to read the 4E rules yet, I can't really say one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  05:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we really don't know what Twilight is/would look like in the 4e FR. A lot of things can happen in 100 years. She could easily have lost levels through any number of events--energy drain and/or death among them.

Your stats, sfdragon, are totally on target to describe the sorts of powers she has in 3.5 FR, which is good, if she doesn't change . . . though she might. While speculation is a good thing, it might be better to wait and see if she appears at all. If I get to write a 4e FR novel with Twilight, I can almost guarantee that she'll have picked up a few new tricks. (You know Light. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  16:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to point out that eladrin don't have pupils (in their eyes), at least according to the core rulebooks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  21:51:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'd like to point out that eladrin don't have pupils (in their eyes), at least according to the core rulebooks.

aye but thats just the core, which means nothing to the realms.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  23:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have they announced how they'll do the elf/eladrin thing?

I do think Eladrin makes more sense for Twilight, who I don't think has touched a bow in her life.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  23:44:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich has said in very broad strokes that moon, sun, and star elves are "probably" eladrin and that wild and wood elves would be just elves. Drow will most likely remain drow.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 23 Jun 2008 23:45:18
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  00:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Rich has said in very broad strokes that moon, sun, and star elves are "probably" eladrin and that wild and wood elves would be just elves. Drow will most likely remain drow.
I was about to say the same thing when I realized that there was a 5th page and I should see if someone else had already done so. Silly gremlins at work again...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  00:36:22  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

you still rubbing it in that you got your amazon set and I haven't?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  01:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

aye but thats just the core, which means nothing to the realms.

I don't agree. A lot of core elements are being brought to the Realms, such as the new cosmology. Part of the point of redoing the setting is to make it in-line with the new rules, and make the settings more interchangable (that is, every product is useful even if you want to make your own setting).

That being said, the pupilless eladrin thing is indeed a flavor element that be used or discarded at will.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  01:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kind of, though not in detail. Sun elves, moon elves and star elves are "eladrin". Wood elves and wild elves are "elves".

In the core rulebooks, elves have pupils, eladrin don't. No word on what the deal with that will be in the Realms. According to Rich Baker, Faerunian eladrin will be getting that ability that lets them zip in and out of the Feywild (I don't remember the name of it offhand).

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  01:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Going by the pictures, drow don't seem to have pupils either...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  01:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

YES.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  02:57:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

YES.

Thats OK. Someday I'll get over it

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  09:08:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do think Eladrin makes more sense for Twilight, who I don't think has touched a bow in her life.

Cheers

statblock wise yes and no, appearances no

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  14:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayep--one more reason to wait at least until the setting appears before we try to assign a build of some kind, eh?

And what would Twilight have been up to in those intervening 100 years, I wonder? More naughty than nice, I imagine.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  16:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ayep--one more reason to wait at least until the setting appears before we try to assign a build of some kind, eh?

You can make an unofficial build.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, I *could* do that, but it might be better to wait and see if/how she's going to reappear in 1479. New tricks, like I said.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:40:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
according to Mr. Baker, the silver, gold and mythral elves will maintain their skin tones. but their eyes are..... but then Fox always seamed a bit more feyish than most other elves....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmm, I *could* do that, but it might be better to wait and see if/how she's going to reappear in 1479. New tricks, like I said.

Cheers

Understood.

By the way, Rich said not to be surprised if sun elves, moon elves, and star elves are "pupilless" (ie. eyes are one solid color--no whites, no pupils) in the new artwork for the Realms. So apparently, that characteristic will apply in the Realms. :)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Jun 2008 14:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, Rich said not to be surprised if sun elves, moon elves, and star elves are "pupilless" (ie. eyes are one solid color--no whites, no pupils) in the new artwork for the Realms. So apparently, that characteristic will apply in the Realms. :)

Meh. That's cool by me. If they're doing it pupil-less, I can dig.

I personally really like eladrin as a player race. Totally my new fav*, and a much better fit for Twilight than the 4e elf (whew! made the right subrace choice back in the day).

(*Though I'll always have a special place in my little gamer heart for tieflings. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 Jun 2008 15:59:05
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  16:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Meh. That's cool by me. If they're doing it pupil-less, I can dig.

I personally really like eladrin as a player race. Totally my new fav*, and a much better fit for Twilight than the 4e elf (whew! made the right subrace choice back in the day).

(*Though I'll always have a special place in my little gamer heart for tieflings. )

Cheers

Yeah, I agree, I like all the new player races, including tieflings (that is, the new version of them). I don't plan to use the 4E Realms, but I would really love to use the 4E rules in the "core setting". :)

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  17:23:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is no core setting in 4e, its all interchangeable, so anything in the FR can show up in the greyhawk setting in 5 years to come, and anything in the eberron( puke) CS can be used in the FR setting....

Points of light would have done better if they made it a setting, all they had to do was make a map, put in 6 cities, and say the map was twenty years old and obsolete so there could have been more towns and villages, and some of the cities could of become ruins..... this is one reason why 4e isnt all that

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  18:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting discussion but venturing a little from topic, guys.

As far as the 4e FR elves/eladrin goes--I'm interested to see how they handle it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  01:26:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree. While the 4e elf/eladrin discussion is interesting, it's really something that should be discussed in its own scroll.

Let's get back on topic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  14:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I just can't help but spread my enthusiasum about certain things.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000