Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  06:55:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Nope. I want a true Trickster: someone who lives by mischief and humor.
[...]
That's not something the Realms has, at least not for humans.
To think of it, yeah, from divine tricksters there are Barovar and Garl, Brandobaris, Erevan... and Hlal, let's not forget her. The closest to "for the lulz" among human deities are Lliira and Tymora.
For that matter, mortal Realms don't seem to have jesters as such. Then again, maybe it's just a pretext to get twisty and inventive about it. Bards like Danilo or Joel certainly are close, for one.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  15:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is all hilarious. And to the point: the Realms could do with a Trickster deity, and Erevan fits the bill. Maybe we'll see a 5e faiths and pantheons-style book, and it will list Erevan as *the* trickster in the Realms?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  16:09:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZxHAZChcYU

just as long as they dont bring in any more copy cats...

and they bring yondala back after everybody is done with Mystra,Helm and Mask.....

and then raise Foxt at Twilight up as Erevan's consort.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  16:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

and they bring yondala back after everybody is done with Mystra,Helm and Mask.....
This is off topic, but I don't consider Yondala to be gone. She's just the deity halflings are thinking of when humans are thinking of Chauntea. Just like elves refer to Sehanine when humans refer to Selune, elves pray to Hanali when humans pray to Sune, etc.

quote:
and then raise Foxt at Twilight up as Erevan's consort.....
Man, she would HATE that.

And on that point, keep an eye out for Eye of Justice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  19:42:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still think Sharess would have been a better choice that chauntea.... and I'd rahter they never combined them too....

eye of justice..... must finsih star wars Revan book first.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  21:21:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, is there an excerpt or sample chapter from Eye of Justice to whet our appetites?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  22:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Erik, is there an excerpt or sample chapter from Eye of Justice to whet our appetites?
It's still a little too early for that. AFAIK, the book is currently on the copy editor's desk, and we don't yet have cover art. From what I've heard, there's reason to be hopeful that it will be a kick-ass cover--and it may be one particularly relevant to this here thread. Who knows?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  22:54:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, a sexy, half-nude picture of Twilight? That'd be sweet!

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:55:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You certainly know how to tease this Fox-fan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  01:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

You certainly know how to tease this Fox-fan.
I *did* send a long email about the costuming on a certain shadowdancer to the potential cover artist. Whether it ends up being used is not really my call, but I'm hopeful!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  01:31:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why Twilight, btw? Is she related to the Cullens?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  01:36:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Show us the tramp-stamp!

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  01:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Why Twilight, btw?
"Fox-at-Twilight" is the Common-tongue translation of a nickname given to her by the Silver Fox tribe of the Uthgardt. It refers to her cleverness and what time of day the tribesmen first encountered her.

Her proper name is "Ilira," but she already had the nickname before she managed to communicate with the barbarians. The name stuck, and she continued to use it thereafter. She stopped using the name when she "retired" from adventuring, though some of her "old friends" still call her that.

quote:
Is she related to the Cullens?
My use of the nickname "Fox-at-Twilight" predates the existence of Sparkle Breath. No dice.

(And in case you don't believe me, Twilight debuted in October 2005, whereas the final due-date for "The Greater Treasure," my Realms of the Elves story (Twilight's first appearance) was early/mid 2005 (I seem to think it was May). The short answer is, I would not have had the opportunity to even hear the name before I created the character.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  02:03:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, can you spill the beans on the "potential cover artist"?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  02:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik, can you spill the beans on the "potential cover artist"?

I wouldnt want to spoil it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  02:14:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drats! Foiled again.

edit: ahaahahhahaaa.

edit2: no cats were harmed during the making of this post.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Feb 2012 03:39:08
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  21:06:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

This is all hilarious. And to the point: the Realms could do with a Trickster deity, and Erevan fits the bill. Maybe we'll see a 5e faiths and pantheons-style book, and it will list Erevan as *the* trickster in the Realms?
Steering clear from it until the fog clears, but if you want something funny related to Erevan, consider this. Because no way he isn't on that list.
quote:

Remember those cover pictures of Liriel?..
quote:

Why Twilight, btw? Is she related to the Cullens?
No... to Ponies.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  21:19:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I wasn't really a fan of any of Liriel's cover art, but I suppose that's a discussion for another scroll.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Feb 2012 21:20:13
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  04:19:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The old or the new? In the old, she's chubby. In the new one, her boobs are rather too big.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  05:01:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I didn't care for either. I like my elven wenches rather slim and not very buxom. Something about the face in the reprint wasn't right.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  05:04:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my elven ladies slim and slightly larger breasts.... just not with a XXX bust line.....(dont ask)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  23:57:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When I think of elves, I see them as slim (albeit annoying) creatures. The original cover of Daughter of the Drow somehow changed that.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  08:00:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When I think of elves, I see them as slim (albeit annoying) creatures. The original cover of Daughter of the Drow somehow changed that.

In i positive or negative way?
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  08:04:00  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Personally, I didn't care for either. I like my elven wenches rather slim and not very buxom. Something about the face in the reprint wasn't right.

I agree 100% with you there. I especially didn't like the original cover art for windwalker. I mean she looks quite unattractive to me.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  08:57:45  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Erik. I will take this to another scroll.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  16:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a scroll about the Fox-at-Twilight, I see no reason to stop discussing what makes an elf beautiful.

I personally trend more to the "slender" end of the spectrum than the "voluptuous" end with regard to elves. To me, if I see a particularly buxom or curvy elf, it registers as a mistake to me. As I imaging them, elves are possessed of a lithe, wiry beauty, untouched by indolence or excess. They are built on small frames, though they might be very tall (males with a tendency toward lankiness, females we'd call "willowy").

And while I am a straight male and thus, by definition, like looking at women's bodies in various states of undress, the plethora of huge-breasted "elven" women in scanty fantasy "armor" makes me sort of tired, rather than titillated. I think a fully-clothed/armored woman preparing/arrayed for battle is *very* sexy. (Maybe not so much the actual battle bit, as there's all kinds of blood and gore and dismemberment there, but to each his own.)

I have several source images for Twilight (i.e. the way I picture her when I write about her), including something like Kate Beckinsale's costume from Van Helsing (I know, iffy movie, but hey, nice costume) for her swashbucklery 1300s adventuring career, whereas her 1400s outfit loses the colorful coat, glove, and boots and looks more like the black leather getup of the Shadowdancer from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

quote:

Show us the tramp-stamp!
See, I gave her that particular tattoo before the term was in vogue. Sigh.

Though I think Twilight is the sort of character who would embrace that term, rather than reject it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  22:02:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is nice to see what the author envisions when speaking of his character. I've always thought that the iconic elf rogue, Merisiel, from the Pathfinder game was a pretty good visual interpretation of what a fantasy elf could look like in terms of build and dress. Particularly the cover from Elves of Golarion being a good example of how I see Twilight in my mind. Obviously the specifics are different, but overall I think they nailed it.

As a matter of fact, this year I got a christmas card from Paizo sporting a sassy little picture of Merisiel. I don't recall ever getting a christmas card from TSR/Wotc.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 16 Feb 2012 22:18:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  00:09:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

In i positive or negative way?

Negative, I guess. I didn't know there are chubby/fat elves. I thought being close to nature makes them "healthy." But then, come to think of it, if a lich can be fat (like Aumvor), why can't an elf, right? Both races are monsters, so...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  00:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merisiel is also a great one. The hair's wrong for Twilight (who also doesn't carry knives like Merisiel does), but the look is otherwise spot-on.

Paizo's Christmas cards are fun. That was a good idea, whoever thought that up!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  00:48:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merisiel has nothing on Twilight though.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000