Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  07:28:45  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you.

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  13:52:37  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sweet!!!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  16:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

sweet!!!
You hadn't seen these before? Huh, I could have sworn that you did...

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  05:35:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just discovered this...

Balgarski (transliteration)
neveren (disloyal, faithless, false, false-hearted, inconstant)

as in Neveren's Betrayal

I wonder, Erik, if you were aware of this or if it is a case of literary serendipity?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Jan 2012 05:43:32
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  05:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I just discovered this...
Balgarski (transliteration)
neveren (disloyal, faithless, false, false-hearted, inconstant)
as in Neveren's Betrayal
I wonder, Erik, if you were aware of this or if it is a case of literary serendipity?
Literary serendipity--one I particularly like.

Oh and at least one thing listed about Neveren in this article is UNTRUE, though he actively put it about that it was true. To find out which, you'll just have to read Eye of Justice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  05:53:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember you saying something about not having revealed all of Betrayal's abilities. Will these be revealed in Eye of Justice, as well as a look into 'Light's past and her relationship to Neveren Darkdance?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  06:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I remember you saying something about not having revealed all of Betrayal's abilities. Will these be revealed in Eye of Justice, as well as a look into 'Light's past and her relationship to Neveren Darkdance?
Indeed, maybe, yep, and definitely.

She does, after all, have numerous conversations with a descendant of Neveren's, who is quite keen on learning about the past . . .

Gahk! [grabbed by shadowdancing elf who promptly vanishes with him into the shadows]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  06:07:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever coy, I expected as much. I will indeed read your book, you rogue.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  06:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might consider reading Shadowbane, which contains a small but extremely relevant hint to the mystery. Eye of Justice will follow up on it in great detail.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  06:17:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are both on a very short list of Realms novels I look forward to reading. Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  21:46:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, what do you think of a Trickster-touched Changeling (Races of Eberron, Eberron Campaign Setting)? I know that they are considered abberations, but there really is no god for them to follow in FR (that I can think of). The character I envision would be capricious in the extreme, too young to have yet learned the subleties of being invisible in a crowd. Everywhere she goes she would leave confusion and chaos in her wake. Would the Chameleon welcome her to his faith with open arms, or would typical elven disdain keep him from embracing her as one of his flock?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  21:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Fellfire: There's absolutely no reason Erevan can't have a changeling servant. He already has numerous non-elven servants, and a changeling might well be extremely useful or just fun for hi m to watch. Changelings are an excellent potential servant for a guy who delights in looking like anyone or anything.

Also, who knows why Erevan does anything? This changeling might have a grand purpose, which Erevan either doesn't know or doesn't remember. But he's fun to watch.

I say go for it!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:19:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've pointed out more than once, there isn't a human Trickster god in the Realms. And as a Trickster-type myself, I think there should be such a deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:57:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I've pointed out more than once, there isn't a human Trickster god in the Realms.
Not in totality, but I recall Trickery being listed among Shar's portfolio on more than one occasion.

Granted, it's not the classic Erevan/Loki-trickster-deity-type, but the essence of the concept remains. It's simply, I suppose, that Shar would utilise trickery with more deadly and sinister effect. Kinda like Loki, then, I suppose.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  01:32:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I've pointed out more than once, there isn't a human Trickster god in the Realms. And as a Trickster-type myself, I think there should be such a deity.

I disagree.

they might go and say that said new human deity is Erevan in a later ruleset edition.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  01:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

I disagree.
they might go and say that said new human deity is Erevan in a later ruleset edition.....

Tsch, like I'd stand for THAT.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  05:13:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

quote:

I disagree.

Tsch, like I'd stand for THAT.

Cheers

No I don't think you would.

but the comment still stands.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  05:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It won't happen--don't worry.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  11:47:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik's got juice, ya see.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  21:07:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

but that does not mean they would not try.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  21:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You sound bitter, SFD. Have a little faith! Things don't always go badly.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  00:26:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd not be adverse to Erevan picking up some human followers, and becoming the Trickster of the Faerūnian pantheon... I'm not sure he's the best fit for the classical Trickster type, but he could do it.

I just want a Trickster in the Realms!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  00:53:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd not be adverse to Erevan picking up some human followers, and becoming the Trickster of the Faerūnian pantheon... I'm not sure he's the best fit for the classical Trickster type, but he could do it.

I just want a Trickster in the Realms!

I recall it being said that Erevan has many half-elven worshippers. Thus, I could easily see this being a suitable point for the faith of Erevan to pick up more human followers in communities where the worshipping half-elves might live. Rogues, thieves, or just general mischief makers within the human population would probably look to Erevan as something to venerate and provide guidance for their trickery.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  01:02:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

You sound bitter, SFD. Have a little faith! Things don't always go badly.

Cheers

bitter.... they merge SEhanine and SElune.... when they could of stripped SEhanine of any moon portfolios and given her dreams, vissions and prophecies.

they did the same with whats her name and Sune

and even said whats her name was akadi....

and.. Sune and whats her name doesnt bother me that much being taht I always thought Sune was a Nymph turned goddess

the deal with Akadi along with Selune didnt sit well.

they murdered Helm... axed MAsk

and you know what annoyed me the most.

they combined Chauntea and Yondala.
to this day, this never made since.
Chauntea has firtilation as in planting seads
and Yondala had Firtility( aka procreation of children aka .... that three letter word that starts with s)
they could have given her motherhood and or family and left chauntea with her farmers.
but no they had to combine the two and tell me that they were close enough. Chauntea was a bad choice, Sharess or Sune would have done better.....
wanderlust is still a form of lust..

So Wooly wants a trickster...
well will that man wearing a "Mask" behind him do??

oh yeah I'm likely bitter.... either that or that Cops show is on tv and its time to change the channel

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 01 Feb 2012 01:04:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  01:49:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevin kills Cyric with his poisoned lapel-flower, takes his power and some of his portfolios, and everybody wins.

WE now get a Realms 'Loki'. Cut, print, wrap.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:05:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Erevin kills Cyric with his poisoned lapel-flower, takes his power and some of his portfolios, and everybody wins.

WE now get a Realms 'Loki'. Cut, print, wrap.

You've read that old issue of Journey Into Mystery where Loki "kills" Thor and takes his power, haven't you?

I imagine the outcome would play out similarly in the Realms as well.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  02:19:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really (I remember Loki going after Thor numerous times). I was actually thinking of The Joker.

More like the 4e philosophy of "kill them and take their stuff".

We have enough evil gods in the Realms now (too many, actually, with Asmodeus and Zehir, etc), and Cyric is kinda 2-dimensional. Since we need a trickster, and Erevin isn't perfect (yet), and we have too many evil powers, AND most people can't stand Cyric....

kill him and take his stuff. It solves multiple problems.

And if they kill him before 1385 DR.......

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Feb 2012 02:21:47
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2393 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:12:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, no Blind Fighting and Hear the Unseen (Complete Adventurer)? Despite "that would do - <twang!>" part?

quote:

[...]

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  03:20:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not really (I remember Loki going after Thor numerous times). I was actually thinking of The Joker.

We have enough evil gods in the Realms now (too many, actually, with Asmodeus and Zehir, etc), and Cyric is kinda 2-dimensional. Since we need a trickster, and Erevin isn't perfect (yet), and we have too many evil powers, AND most people can't stand Cyric....

And if they kill him before 1385 DR.......

sure I can see it now.
Ervan turns the floor of the supreme throne into soap. Cyric stands up from his supreme torleit and slips cracking his head open on the supreme tub.

servants want to know what hte supreme number is for 911

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  05:12:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Wooly wants a trickster...
well will that man wearing a "Mask" behind him do??

Nope. I want a true Trickster: someone who lives by mischief and humor. Someone who will crack a joke or play a prank for the sheer sake of doing so, but who also understands that sometimes humor is the best way to convey a message, whether it's by a mocking grin, a friendly jab, or pointed ridicule. The true Trickster uses humor for amusement and as a tool.

That's not something the Realms has, at least not for humans.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000