Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 [drow] Seldarine aspects?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  16:38:03  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
According to Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, worship in Sshamath is split mainly between
  • the Dark Seldarine (no surprise here);

• Mystra with her team (sort of the obvious part too);

• Malyk, secretly an aspect of Talos - but that's illegal;

• some of the Seldarine, masquerading much the same way as Talos.

"The guise of previously unknown drow demipowers" should be rather transparent for those who know both, if even Drizzt saw through this: he may be good in personal tactics, but does he look like a great theologist?

Obviously, being third-rated pantheon in Sshamath alone would be barely worth the trouble, but once set up, this could be useful in many other situations - e.g. with spelljamming drow (given that this pantheon's access scope is one of the best).
Is anything more known about these dark elven aspects of the Seldarine?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  17:19:14  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh?

Because Sshamath is so isolated it has a rather strong link to the larger Multiverse, via the trade they conduct with the Githyanki (also the Gith's are often hired to perform 'thid hunts). But actual Seldarine in the city? Awesome find I say! No clue what form this will take though...

I would guess not all the Seldarine dare to deal with worship from drow though... For example Shevarash would not allow for it, but Sehanine, Corellon, Erevan, Hanali and Fenmarel might all share a single tempel in which they try to appeal to the Drow clergy with enticing stories of redemption.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  17:29:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking, maybe it's an aspect of Corellon. He did have some drow divine casters in 2e, least according to Demihuman Deities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  17:58:20  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, and so did that Tome specifically say that Sehanine and Hanali had dark elven followers.

For Hanali I can understand that, drow can be very beautiful creatures, but Sehanine? She harbors the greatest antipathy for Lolth, as she had suspicions towards her even when she was Araushnee. She's so ephemeral and unfathomable that the supplicion of spells to dark elves fits in a way.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  23:32:26  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll have to go back and look those over again. Thank you for posting and asking about this.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  09:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I think I'll have to go back and look those over again. Thank you for posting and asking about this.

Seconded. Wow. I'll have to use this.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  11:24:48  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

For example Shevarash would not allow for it,
(a dozen bad jokes about the self-hatin' drow are left untyped here)
quote:

but Sehanine, Corellon, Erevan, Hanali and Fenmarel might all share a single tempel in which they try to appeal to the Drow clergy with enticing stories of redemption.
They can't act as themselves, but aspects built around parts of their portfolio may get a good foothold. Most of the competition is narrowly specialized, after all.
Erevan: Good portfolio. Got shapeshifting right in the title and is big on external relations, so he's almost certainly in.
Labelas: Portfolio is universal. Until the Time of Troubles was "a little out of it", but now may catch up.
Corellon: Elvenkind is unappliable, War is covered. This leaves... Arts?
Sehanine: Moon - not down there (even Eilistraee's presence is limited). Divination - not next to Savras. White Necromancy... that's better.
Fenmarel: Portfolio could be perfect for this, but he supposedly more accepts worship than seeks it. Also, not in a trade city of all places.
Solonor: Could pick up strays reverting to hunter/gatherer routines. In appropriate places. Another prime candidate, but not for Sshamath.
Aerdrie Faenya, Deep Sashelas: Very specialized, and elementalists got Elemental Lords. So, unlikely.

It would be interesting to see some canon, though.
quote:

Indeed, and so did that Tome specifically say that Sehanine and Hanali had dark elven followers.
What Tome?
quote:

but Sehanine? She harbors the greatest antipathy for Lolth
That's a good reason to go poach on her power source.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  11:40:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Tome: Demihuman Deities.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brin
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  22:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Brin's Homepage Send Brin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A late response I know and apologize but no one else said it, so I felt obligated. It makes sense especially for Corellon at the end of The Lady Penitent Ellistrae dies in her cosmic sava game with Lolth for control of the Drow. But right after she dies Corellon steps in to take her place fighting for them. That being said it shows that Corellon does have an interest in the Drow and is willing to help them, so why not have a temple where they can find him?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2021 :  15:58:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to keep things linked, there's the answer from Eric L Boyd on these drow faces of the Seldarine.
So there was no related official lore more specific than mentions in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and Demihuman Deities, not even NDA'd.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000