Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Volo's Guides
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  06:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my players might make it to Waterdeep some day soon and was thinking it would be interesting if some of Volo's work was available to them. So I set out to compile a list of Guides that I know of and here it is I'm sure I'm missing tons, never had a subscription to Dragon.

All penned by our favorite Volothamp Geddarm:

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical		c. 1356		(Original text, suppressed by Elminster)

Volo's Guide to the Moonsea			1357-1358	unreleased and suppressed by Zhentarim agents

Volo's Guide to the Vast			1358-1360	unreleased (held by someone in Ravens Bluff)

Volo's Guide to the Bloodstone Lands		1360-1362	unreleased (held by peoples unknown)

Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast	1362-1363	commission work held by a noble of Yhaunn 

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep			1363-1365	

Volo's Guide to Calimport			1364-1365	notes & old draft; all final drafts destroyed by pashas and Rundeen agents

Volo's Guide to the North			1365-1366	

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast			1366-1367	

Volo's Guide to Cormyr				1367-1368	

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands			1368-1369	

Volo’s Guide to the Lands of Intrigue		1369-1370	(excerpts and partial draft of which released by Elminster  
								   to chroniclers as "Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II")

* Volo's Guide to All Things Magical		1370		(Rewrite with aid of Elminster)

I ordered them by date here since its their order is important to me, unfortunately in the year my campaign is set in none of his released ones have been penned yet.

I figured this might help others, also if people have more that I am missing please add them and try to date them. I can't take credit for the above I got them from here.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  11:21:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the ones in red were either proposed but never written, or they were extrapolated titles -- areas that it's reasonable to expect Volo would have eventually gotten to. I believe it was Steven Schend who said that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brunswick
Acolyte

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  11:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Brunswick's Homepage Send Brunswick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WR,

Wasnt "Volos Guide to All things Magical" released at some point (in an A4 sized book, unlike the other Volos guides, in their "novel" format). Pretty sure I have that at home.

The Volos guide series were my favourite Realms books - I only wish they made more of them...

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  12:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brunswick

WR,

Wasnt "Volos Guide to All things Magical" released at some point (in an A4 sized book, unlike the other Volos guides, in their "novel" format). Pretty sure I have that at home.

The Volos guide series were my favourite Realms books - I only wish they made more of them...

That was the "revised" edition, the original edition got banned... check the introduction to the book.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  13:45:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brunswick

WR,

I must have missed this post due to the gremlins that Sage had let loose...

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) was indeed eventually released. You may note on the original list that it appears twice -- once in red, the original text, and once in black, the re-written text. The re-written one was the one that was released. It's also available as a download from the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brunswick
Acolyte

Ireland
21 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  15:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Brunswick's Homepage Send Brunswick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah excellent, thanks. Forgot it was the "revised" version...
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  15:54:36  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... the titles in red were never published....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2008 :  02:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know other Volo's guides that were published in Dragon or else where? I never had a subscription so no clue how many I may have missed. If someone could get me a list I would gladly incorporate it into the first post.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  16:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm I was wondering how official these dates are, as in my copy of Volo's Guide to the Dalelands he specifically mentions events both late in 1369 and even early 1370.

For example: "Scardale has found disaster again in the
Year of the Tankard (1370 DR)!" is a direct quote from page 196

Sadly the links in this scroll are all dead so I can't check Gelcur's source.

I've been trying to figure out the dates of the Dalelands and other guides but can't tell whether it is the guides that are in error or the 'official' list.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 15 Jan 2013 16:22:08
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  16:44:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate 2, released as a supplement to Baldur's Gate 2, should really be titled in-world as "Volo's Guide to Amn". Released by Bioware but written by Ed and published by Wizbro, I would consider it canon.

The OP reference link seems broken, but here's a Book List (by George Krashos) for Tomes in Candlekeep which includes the Volo books and writing dates. A few of the dates are different, and unless the tomes date themselves or are referenced by other dated sources I would be inclined to prefer Krashos's version as most accurate.

Volo's always on the move and probably has a number of nebulous (and reckless) writing projects going on at any given time, I imagine he doesn't travel the entire land just to research one book then travel it all over again to research another. His tomes are probably all "work in progress" writings in various states of disorganized incompleteness for years at a time ... I suspect he only actually commits one to a publisher when he desperately needs gold to buy off angry debtors. What this means - in world - is that Volo's Guides might appear in whole or in part and in different versions at different times in cities scattered throughout the land as he sells his "latest" book at every stop on the way while on the run. It may very well be that each printed distribution of a Volo title is a substantially different book; perhaps the "official" version we know of was actually edited by Candlekeep scribes who meticulously gather and reconstruct such piecemeal books over months or years. (Which might explain their obsession with collecting every variant of every edition of every book they learn about.)

Ed commented, long ago, that he's really not fond of writing Volo but was compelled to keep doing so by popular demand. Maybe popular demand can flush some descendant or inheritor (or the genuine Volo) out of hiding long enough to publish more Guides, especially in this new D&D era which attempts to embrace old D&D eras.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Jan 2013 17:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  16:59:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I want to see is a Volo's Guide to the Vilhon Reach.

In my Kara-tur musings (on the WotC site), I had envisioned a grandaughter of Volo's carrying on his 'great work' named Volara (in the 4e era), and her main area of concern was 'Beyond Faerûn'. She did the Volara's guide to the Wastes (Hordelands) first, and moved east from there. (all homebrew, of course)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jan 2013 17:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  17:35:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay

While he's getting there he can write Volo's Guide to the Dragon Coast, although my first request would actually be Volo's Guide to the Moonsea.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  00:09:32  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why won't WotC let Ed start writing the rest of the Volo's Guides?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  00:31:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more Guides are listed at the FR Wiki, although they don't all cite sources and their canon value seems dubious. Volo's "canon" work is dubious too, so take that as you will.
quote:
Razz

Partly because Ed apparently doesn't really want to write them.

Partly because the 4E Realms is officially set in 1480DR (or whatever), so Volo would be dead of old age (for one century, more or less) unless his life has been magically extended. And that's assuming the reckless fool actually survived to old age.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Jan 2013 00:34:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  00:54:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Because they are doody-heads?

But seriously, thats one thing I never understood. They never 'finished' the setting in any edition. They get less then halfway through, do a new edition, and then start all over again with the same old splats (which was anywhere from 50-70% reprinted material). Its like they say, "Hey we're coming to the end of the already-done stuff... quick! New edition time!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2013 03:31:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  01:08:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Markustay

While he's getting there he can write Volo's Guide to the Dragon Coast, although my first request would actually be Volo's Guide to the Moonsea.

I'll happily take copies of both!

Ideally, I've always toyed with the notion of a proper Volo's Guide to the Unapproachable East. I'd love to see Volo running loose in Thay.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:14:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
"Partly because Ed apparently doesn't really want to write them."
Where did you hear this, Ayrik?
Ed would LOVE to write Volo's Guides, 2 or 3 a year, from now until the end of time. (or, you know, longer . . . )
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:29:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I thought that was an odd statement, but I chose not to challenge it. It did strike me odd Ed wouldn't want to don his 'Volo skin' a few more times (because I think 'storyteller mode' is precisely what suits Ed best). I think there's a lot more Ed in Volo then there is in Elminster (first off, Ed's not nearly so crotchity ).
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ideally, I've always toyed with the notion of a proper Volo's Guide to the Unapproachable East. I'd love to see Volo running loose in Thay.
Volo up against Manshoon and Volo up against Szass Tam... I don't think even Volo is that... ummmm... lack-witted?

"So whats that we're feeding the gnolls tonight?"

"Dunno... the boss says its something called 'Volo', whatever that is."

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2013 04:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:00:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady THO:
I can't find the original (internet) source again, although I recall Ed specifically saying he doesn't really want to do more Volo, was getting a bit tired of doing Volo, would really rather write anything other than Volo (and game rules). Said half-humourously, yet also half-seriously. It may have been somewhere in REALMS-L, I will search again later from my faster computers.
quote:
Grognardia Interview: Ed Greenwood (Part III)

On the other hand, I’ve had Realms writing assignments I liked less than writing about Elminster - - like writing about Volo!

(I know that's weak, but I distinctly recall a definitive anti-Volo declaration by Ed, long ago. On the other hand, of course, we are sometimes given hints that Ed still has some plans for Volo.)

Sage:
I thought you yearned for Volo's Guide to the Border Kingdoms?

Gelcur:
I've seen a reference to Dragon #355, containing Volo's Guide to Demon Cults of the Realms.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Jan 2013 05:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:04:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see the (censored) Volo's Guide to Festhalls, Coin-lasses, and Pleasure Queens of the Realms.

I believe Elminster stole the only known copy.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  18:12:57  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really would love for them to let him publish Guide to the Bloodstone Lands, then Dragoncoast, then the Vast in that order. The rest can be whenever.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  20:04:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Golden Huzuz.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 16 Jan 2013 20:05:34
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  23:56:55  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had a top 3, in order they would be the Vilhon Reach, the Vast, and Rashemen.

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  01:11:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Sage:
I thought you yearned for Volo's Guide to the Border Kingdoms?
As an extension/expansion of the original POLYHEDRON articles? Yes please!
quote:
Gelcur:
I've seen a reference to Dragon #355, containing Volo's Guide to Demon Cults of the Realms.

They're among some of the finest articles to grace the pages of the final few issues of the printed DRAGON Magazine. Well worth tracking down the individual issues just for those articles, I'd say.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  01:24:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is one of the issues I'm missing, so I can't confirm.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  02:04:14  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
"Partly because Ed apparently doesn't really want to write them."
Where did you hear this, Ayrik?
Ed would LOVE to write Volo's Guides, 2 or 3 a year, from now until the end of time. (or, you know, longer . . . )
love,
THO

I would SO love a Volo's Guide to Sembia or the Moonsea. I can't even tell you how happy that would make me. It would be amazing. Who do we have to beg to make that a reality??

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  18:27:02  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone here at Candlekeep to send in dozens of letters to WotC requesting it. LOL Heck even beyond those here at Candlekeep.

Has that been attempted before actually?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  18:59:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We could always launch a Kickstarter campaign with the goal of raising funds for a juicy fat bribe to offer the Wizbro executives.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  00:33:35  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed should TOTALLY do a kickstarter anything...but he doesn't own the rights so I guess he couldn't do a Volo's guide on there sadly.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  01:00:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Contracts with NDA restrictions often include CNC/NCC conditions. Besides: Ed signed on with Wizbro and has never jumped off their boat like many other authors/designers, perhaps he is compelled by personal or professional ethics, perhaps he's just happy where he is ... either way, he probably has a lot to lose and little to gain from going freelance. He is probably also kept chained to a desk, far too overworked to ever have time for such dangerous plots.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Faediira
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  21:16:58  Show Profile Send Faediira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually interested in the volo's guide to the dragon coast and westgate is it available to read anywhere...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000