Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Volo's Guides

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gelcur Posted - 14 Jan 2008 : 06:00:57
So my players might make it to Waterdeep some day soon and was thinking it would be interesting if some of Volo's work was available to them. So I set out to compile a list of Guides that I know of and here it is I'm sure I'm missing tons, never had a subscription to Dragon.

All penned by our favorite Volothamp Geddarm:

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical		c. 1356		(Original text, suppressed by Elminster)

Volo's Guide to the Moonsea			1357-1358	unreleased and suppressed by Zhentarim agents

Volo's Guide to the Vast			1358-1360	unreleased (held by someone in Ravens Bluff)

Volo's Guide to the Bloodstone Lands		1360-1362	unreleased (held by peoples unknown)

Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast	1362-1363	commission work held by a noble of Yhaunn 

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep			1363-1365	

Volo's Guide to Calimport			1364-1365	notes & old draft; all final drafts destroyed by pashas and Rundeen agents

Volo's Guide to the North			1365-1366	

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast			1366-1367	

Volo's Guide to Cormyr				1367-1368	

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands			1368-1369	

Volo’s Guide to the Lands of Intrigue		1369-1370	(excerpts and partial draft of which released by Elminster  
								   to chroniclers as "Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II")

* Volo's Guide to All Things Magical		1370		(Rewrite with aid of Elminster)

I ordered them by date here since its their order is important to me, unfortunately in the year my campaign is set in none of his released ones have been penned yet.

I figured this might help others, also if people have more that I am missing please add them and try to date them. I can't take credit for the above I got them from here.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 03 Jan 2015 : 07:56:39
On page 186 of "Volo's Guide to Cormyr", Volo promised to give a complete entry on the growing village of Redspring in a future edition of his Cormyr guide.

I'd love to see that book published.
Swordsage Posted - 03 Jan 2015 : 04:56:16
Sadly, I don't think I'd want any for the 5E Realms. They'd be a shining jewel of detail and realmslore in a vista of bland, generic setting that would just highlight how badly the Realms has been treated since the Spellplague. If Ed Greenwood was allowed to write them for the pre-Spellplague era, that would be amazing.

The Swordsage
Rymac Posted - 03 Jan 2015 : 04:20:15
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Volo's Guide to the Dragon Coast & Westgate? Bet that would be a fun ride and read!

If more had come, Westgate and the Dragon Coast, Lands of Intrigue, or the Shining South would have been the next Volo's Guides. To wish what might have been..
Gustaveren Posted - 02 Jan 2015 : 18:34:22
quote:
Originally posted by Brunswick

The Volos guide series were my favourite Realms books - I only wish they made more of them...

+1
Eilserus Posted - 27 Dec 2014 : 07:20:14
They sure were. Ahh, the good old days. I really hope they let Ed release Volo from that Imprisonment spell I know he's been under so he can continue his journeys!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Dec 2014 : 05:55:41
I'd rush right out to buy any new Volo's Guide. Those were some of the best Realms books we ever got.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 27 Dec 2014 : 00:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Volo's Guide to the Dragon Coast & Westgate? Bet that would be a fun ride and read!

I would snatch up such a book in a heartbeat!
Eilserus Posted - 27 Dec 2014 : 00:11:39
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Dec 2014 : 23:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by Faediira

Better yet are any of the volo's guides in red available anywhere as well and if so where can i find them

They were never written, so far as I know, and are thus unavailable to be read. Note that Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is listed in both red and black; the original version was suppressed (in canon), and then was later re-written and released.
Faediira Posted - 26 Dec 2014 : 21:17:51
Better yet are any of the volo's guides in red available anywhere as well and if so where can i find them
Faediira Posted - 26 Dec 2014 : 21:16:58
I'm actually interested in the volo's guide to the dragon coast and westgate is it available to read anywhere...
Ayrik Posted - 18 Jan 2013 : 01:00:02
Contracts with NDA restrictions often include CNC/NCC conditions. Besides: Ed signed on with Wizbro and has never jumped off their boat like many other authors/designers, perhaps he is compelled by personal or professional ethics, perhaps he's just happy where he is ... either way, he probably has a lot to lose and little to gain from going freelance. He is probably also kept chained to a desk, far too overworked to ever have time for such dangerous plots.
Seravin Posted - 18 Jan 2013 : 00:33:35
Ed should TOTALLY do a kickstarter anything...but he doesn't own the rights so I guess he couldn't do a Volo's guide on there sadly.
Ayrik Posted - 17 Jan 2013 : 18:59:54
We could always launch a Kickstarter campaign with the goal of raising funds for a juicy fat bribe to offer the Wizbro executives.
Razz Posted - 17 Jan 2013 : 18:27:02
Everyone here at Candlekeep to send in dozens of letters to WotC requesting it. LOL Heck even beyond those here at Candlekeep.

Has that been attempted before actually?
Seravin Posted - 17 Jan 2013 : 02:04:14
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
"Partly because Ed apparently doesn't really want to write them."
Where did you hear this, Ayrik?
Ed would LOVE to write Volo's Guides, 2 or 3 a year, from now until the end of time. (or, you know, longer . . . )
love,
THO

I would SO love a Volo's Guide to Sembia or the Moonsea. I can't even tell you how happy that would make me. It would be amazing. Who do we have to beg to make that a reality??

Ayrik Posted - 17 Jan 2013 : 01:24:41
That is one of the issues I'm missing, so I can't confirm.
The Sage Posted - 17 Jan 2013 : 01:11:39
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Sage:
I thought you yearned for Volo's Guide to the Border Kingdoms?
As an extension/expansion of the original POLYHEDRON articles? Yes please!
quote:
Gelcur:
I've seen a reference to Dragon #355, containing Volo's Guide to Demon Cults of the Realms.

They're among some of the finest articles to grace the pages of the final few issues of the printed DRAGON Magazine. Well worth tracking down the individual issues just for those articles, I'd say.
daarkknight Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 23:56:55
If I had a top 3, in order they would be the Vilhon Reach, the Vast, and Rashemen.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 20:04:59
Volo's Guide to Golden Huzuz.
Razz Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 18:12:57
I really would love for them to let him publish Guide to the Bloodstone Lands, then Dragoncoast, then the Vast in that order. The rest can be whenever.
Markustay Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 04:04:26
I want to see the (censored) Volo's Guide to Festhalls, Coin-lasses, and Pleasure Queens of the Realms.

I believe Elminster stole the only known copy.
Ayrik Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 04:00:00
Lady THO:
I can't find the original (internet) source again, although I recall Ed specifically saying he doesn't really want to do more Volo, was getting a bit tired of doing Volo, would really rather write anything other than Volo (and game rules). Said half-humourously, yet also half-seriously. It may have been somewhere in REALMS-L, I will search again later from my faster computers.
quote:
Grognardia Interview: Ed Greenwood (Part III)

On the other hand, I’ve had Realms writing assignments I liked less than writing about Elminster - - like writing about Volo!

(I know that's weak, but I distinctly recall a definitive anti-Volo declaration by Ed, long ago. On the other hand, of course, we are sometimes given hints that Ed still has some plans for Volo.)

Sage:
I thought you yearned for Volo's Guide to the Border Kingdoms?

Gelcur:
I've seen a reference to Dragon #355, containing Volo's Guide to Demon Cults of the Realms.
Markustay Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 03:29:50
You know, I thought that was an odd statement, but I chose not to challenge it. It did strike me odd Ed wouldn't want to don his 'Volo skin' a few more times (because I think 'storyteller mode' is precisely what suits Ed best). I think there's a lot more Ed in Volo then there is in Elminster (first off, Ed's not nearly so crotchity ).
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ideally, I've always toyed with the notion of a proper Volo's Guide to the Unapproachable East. I'd love to see Volo running loose in Thay.
Volo up against Manshoon and Volo up against Szass Tam... I don't think even Volo is that... ummmm... lack-witted?

"So whats that we're feeding the gnolls tonight?"

"Dunno... the boss says its something called 'Volo', whatever that is."
The Hooded One Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 03:14:46
Hi, all.
"Partly because Ed apparently doesn't really want to write them."
Where did you hear this, Ayrik?
Ed would LOVE to write Volo's Guides, 2 or 3 a year, from now until the end of time. (or, you know, longer . . . )
love,
THO
The Sage Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 01:08:29
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Markustay
What I want to see is a Volo's Guide to the Vilhon Reach.

While he's getting there he can write Volo's Guide to the Dragon Coast, although my first request would actually be Volo's Guide to the Moonsea.

I'll happily take copies of both!

Ideally, I've always toyed with the notion of a proper Volo's Guide to the Unapproachable East. I'd love to see Volo running loose in Thay.
Markustay Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 00:54:30
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Why won't WotC let Ed start writing the rest of the Volo's Guides?
Because they are doody-heads?

But seriously, thats one thing I never understood. They never 'finished' the setting in any edition. They get less then halfway through, do a new edition, and then start all over again with the same old splats (which was anywhere from 50-70% reprinted material). Its like they say, "Hey we're coming to the end of the already-done stuff... quick! New edition time!"
Ayrik Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 00:31:08
A few more Guides are listed at the FR Wiki, although they don't all cite sources and their canon value seems dubious. Volo's "canon" work is dubious too, so take that as you will.
quote:
Razz

Partly because Ed apparently doesn't really want to write them.

Partly because the 4E Realms is officially set in 1480DR (or whatever), so Volo would be dead of old age (for one century, more or less) unless his life has been magically extended. And that's assuming the reckless fool actually survived to old age.
Razz Posted - 16 Jan 2013 : 00:09:32
Ayrik Posted - 15 Jan 2013 : 17:35:23
quote:
Markustay
What I want to see is a Volo's Guide to the Vilhon Reach.

While he's getting there he can write Volo's Guide to the Dragon Coast, although my first request would actually be Volo's Guide to the Moonsea.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000