Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  18:24:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'd like to second createvmind's question in regards to dwarves - I have a current project going on and anything dwarven is always much-appreciated (because dwarves are oft under-appreciated in the Elf-O-Centric Realms).

Also, came across a bit of lore I never noticed before in VGttN (imagine that!) - anything you can share abut the Talonmists? (and any scribes here who know of past answers are invited to point me in the right direction).

Going by their brief description, I would say they are amongst some of the most powerful forces on Toril, yet I can't remember ever hearing about them before. Would they still be around post-Spellplague, or would most of them have left for 'greener pastures'? Given their knowledge of other worlds (and therefor non-Weave magics), I think they would have been in a VERY good position post-plague.

I did some digging and found some lore Ed had sent me a long time ago re this family. Sorry it took so long to dredge up. Enjoy.

For the Talonmists: originally Tahlaunmiiz of Calimshan, fled north from Calimport from the plague of -990 DR into the lands that are now Amn. Dwelt for some centuries as a reclusive, low-profile family of traders who slowly gathered magical lore (there were always wild talents [3e sorcerers] among them) as they bred and scattered across the Sword Coast North. (Magic was shared within the family, but its use was kept as hidden as possible.) Talonmists dwelt in the cities of Elturel and Iriaebor, and later Secomber, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, moving and changing their names often, but cooperating with each other in trade (I have something cheap and abundant here that's rarer and pricier your end, Uncle, and we need spiny speckled xoblobs here, so let's swap).

What we see in Westbridge is a branch of the family that's simply decided to come out of the shadows (something viewed darkly by other kin in other places, who are having to hide even more thoroughly as a result). So the Talonmists aren't new, they're just one of my "sleeper" power groups that I decided to reveal. A new dynasty to play with, as it were. As Azuth once said to Elminster: "You're still far indeed from plumbing the dark depths of my cunning. Years yet of entertainment for us both."

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  21:48:31  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Your right george. Belive me, I have turned that book
inside out for the document I made on Myth Drannor.
I just assumed there was more backstory
han he was just a coward. If he was just a coward, he
should have just teleported away and had been done with
the area.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  03:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
As Azuth once said to Elminster: "You're still far indeed from plumbing the dark depths of my cunning. Years yet of entertainment for us both."

I did a double-take on this; I'd been rereading some of the Cormyr supplements, and mis-read Azuth and Azoun. And then I sat and stared at my computer, trying to figure out why the King of Cormyr would say something so totally out of character to Elminster. Not that I don't think Azoun wasn't cunning, it was just... well... weird. Because you just know Elminster would take something like that as a challenge. Then I read the sentence again, and it made a whole lot more sense.

This is the way internet rumors get started. So, what dark and deep cunning do you think Azoun might have had that Elminster's still trying to unravel?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  03:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heirs he's fathered, that could pop up to challenge for the Dragon Throne centuries on, if the main Obarskyr bloodline ever gets wiped out? Magical pacts/alliances Azoun might have made to guard himself, his family, or the throne against Vangerdahast (i.e. to have up his sleeve if Vangey ever REALLY went rogue)? That might still be lurking, awaiting the chance to use the pact/alliance/agreement to seize power, long after Azoun is dead and gone?
Heh. I bet Ed has a long list of things we haven't seen yet. He hints like mad, after all . . . as does Brian/Garen Thal . . .
More Cormyr! More Cormyr! More Cormyr!
Any scribes going to Paizocon, BTW, who could ask Ed some of these queries in person?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  04:02:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'd like to second createvmind's question in regards to dwarves - I have a current project going on and anything dwarven is always much-appreciated (because dwarves are oft under-appreciated in the Elf-O-Centric Realms).

Also, came across a bit of lore I never noticed before in VGttN (imagine that!) - anything you can share abut the Talonmists? (and any scribes here who know of past answers are invited to point me in the right direction).

Going by their brief description, I would say they are amongst some of the most powerful forces on Toril, yet I can't remember ever hearing about them before. Would they still be around post-Spellplague, or would most of them have left for 'greener pastures'? Given their knowledge of other worlds (and therefor non-Weave magics), I think they would have been in a VERY good position post-plague.

I did some digging and found some lore Ed had sent me a long time ago re this family. Sorry it took so long to dredge up. Enjoy.

For the Talonmists: originally Tahlaunmiiz of Calimshan, fled north from Calimport from the plague of -990 DR into the lands that are now Amn. Dwelt for some centuries as a reclusive, low-profile family of traders who slowly gathered magical lore (there were always wild talents [3e sorcerers] among them) as they bred and scattered across the Sword Coast North. (Magic was shared within the family, but its use was kept as hidden as possible.) Talonmists dwelt in the cities of Elturel and Iriaebor, and later Secomber, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, moving and changing their names often, but cooperating with each other in trade (I have something cheap and abundant here that's rarer and pricier your end, Uncle, and we need spiny speckled xoblobs here, so let's swap).

What we see in Westbridge is a branch of the family that's simply decided to come out of the shadows (something viewed darkly by other kin in other places, who are having to hide even more thoroughly as a result). So the Talonmists aren't new, they're just one of my "sleeper" power groups that I decided to reveal. A new dynasty to play with, as it were. As Azuth once said to Elminster: "You're still far indeed from plumbing the dark depths of my cunning. Years yet of entertainment for us both."

-- George Krashos

Wow!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  16:31:48  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO.
Anything you can tell us yet about the IA project?
Or, better yet: what CAN you share with us about all of your current/forthcoming fiction projects?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  16:37:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again.
I'll have to contact Ed to find out what he can share about his current writings (he just did a steampunk/horror short story for a new Digital Science Fiction Anthology ezine, I know, and the first draft of the third 4e Elminster novel was turned in to the publisher on time), but I doubt he can say much about IA yet.
Major New York publisher, Ed has been asked to write two separate standalone novels, but I believe his agent is still negotiating with the publisher, so it wouldn't be appropriate to say anything right now.
I can tell you that Ed continues to be VERY busy as a writer, editor, columnist, game designer, reviewer, and even publisher. Not surprisingly, being as he's fast, easy to work with, and one of the best in the industry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  06:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi Ed, THO, and fellow scribes!

It's been a bit of time since I've dropped into this thread, and like so many before, I've returned with questions in tow. These are sourced out of Ed's Cloak of Shadows novel, and I might have a few more to add after I'm done re-reading.

1.) Ed, can you tell us the circumstances about how Elminster and the archlich Saharel discovered how to "wield, empower, or destroy" the Shadowcrown of Malaug and the Doomstars? Who gained such knowledge first, and did they teach it to the other, or did both come by it independently?

2.) What are the "ready-staves" Khelben mentions in one scene, after he and Laeral confront the Malaugrym that invaded Blackstaff Tower? I'd like to know a bit more about them. The only context given was that they were suitable for, ahem, improvised proctology on irritating mages.

3.) Who were the other two Red Wizards (Zulkirs?) that simultaneously destroyed the Masked One, while he was being interrogated by Zulkir Lauzoril of Enchantment? They seemed to be Zulkirs because they spoke sarcastically to Lauzoril as a peer and equal. All I could figure out was that neither one was Szass Tam.

Thanks Ed and THO!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  15:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'd like to add a question about Shadowdale: what is the history of the Old Skull Inn? When was it built, by whom, and when did it come into Jaele's possession? Since we recently learned that Shadowdale was an even more, um, exciting a place in the years before the Knights took over, I'm curious about its more enduring institutions.

Also, this is a gentle prod THO to see if you can share some more memories of Shadowdale when the Knights first arrived. Last time you mentioned that there were drow living in the Twisted Tower in the 1340's, venturing out onto the surface and feuding with the Zhents. Just how big was this presence, and how badly were the Dalesfolk affect? Were there ever discussions of abandoning the town? And what else can you remember?

Thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  02:22:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, let me take a brief stab at telling you more about Shadowdale when we Knights arrived...
The folk of the dale viewed the Twisted Tower as "haunted," and shunned it. They sometimes saw drow "lurking" in the woods (along with other "strange" and "terrible" creatures, though the Harpers fought to keep such critters from local raiding, patrolling in the trees where few locals saw them), but there was no general knowledge that drow were infesting the Tower . . . just that folk who explored it, or tried to live in it, always disappeared.
Word was spread locally (by certain traders from Mistledale who were secretly working with the drow) that the Tower wasn't just haunted, it was cursed, and anyone who went into it, or the woods west of the River Ashaba and north of the overland trade road (i.e. where the overgrown foundations of Castle Grimstead were known to be, and the drow tunnels emerged onto the surface), would either die right away or acquire the curse and die slowly and horribly later. The drow sentries, with their poisoned crossbow bolts, were both ruthless and very efficient at killing EVERYONE they saw (yes, playing children included), to reinforce this (and to keep anyone from seeing the caves/tunnel mouths and surviving)...so local Dalefolk just "didn't go into the Tower" or into the trees north of the road. Not even adventuresome youths. Too many people had disappeared.
So there wasn't talk of abandoning the dale, just "don't go near there" (meaning the western center of the dale).
The social center of the dale was the Old Skull Inn, and locals just didn't go west of it, except on the trade road in bright daylight, or south of the road (to the smithy, wagonworks, etc.).
When we arrived, the locals were more edgy/upset about the killings done by the werewolf, and worried about the "inevitable" coming invasion of the Zhents (which was seen as an inevitable conquest, being as the Dalefolk really hadn't the numbers to effectively fight them; Storm's visiting Harpers were seen as "wandering outlanders" rather than local residents who could be trusted to stay and fight).
It was an interesting time. By then, we'd settled into our "acting" style of roleplaying, and Ed was VERY good at playing all the NPCs and describing the mood of the dale, a physically beautiful but often "tense of atmosphere" place.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  02:30:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Aysen, your questions have been sent off to Ed for proper answers, but I can make a tiny start at answering this: "What are the "ready-staves" Khelben mentions in one scene, after he and Laeral confront the Malaugrym that invaded Blackstaff Tower? I'd like to know a bit more about them."
These are magical staves ("staffs" in recent D&D game editions) that Khelben and Laeral (sometimes with assistance) have crafted and put in racks inside Blackstaff Tower, near entrances, so that whoever is guarding that entrance has them "ready" to hand, if they need to fight an intruder. Ready-staves can be any sorts of magical staves, and I recall that most of them seemed to be "standard" magical staves from various (2nd Edition) sourcebooks, that had been augmented with minor magical powers (they could levitate, glow on command, fly to a wielder's hand if the right command word was spoken by someone attuned to the staff, reflect specific magical attacks or damage types (like lightning) back at their sources, and things of that sort.
An apprentice or anyone else trained on doorwarden duty would know the major powers of the ready-staves at their post, but might not know all powers of the staves. Most of them had a few common powers, one of which was unlimited back-and-forth message speech (and silent telepathic communication) between everyone simultaneously holding ready-staves (I have no idea if this worked outside the immediate vicinity of Blackstaff Tower, because in play I never saw any ready-staves taken farther away from the Tower).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  11:02:28  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message
I've got yet another Procampan question, this one regarding the Red Wizard enclave located there. Where exactly would it be? In the Merchant District maybe? Or they're dealing in magic so it would probably make more sense for them to be in the Adventurer's District, right? Or perhaps they added in their own Thayan district?

Oh and I really want to know if they had a flag or city seal, some sort of heraldic device, well let me rephrase that, I'm sure that they do, the question is what is it exactly? They were well renowned for their gem cutters, so I'm guessing a gem of some sort would play in there somewhere, and it started out as a Dwarven settlement so it might have some Dwarven influence as well.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  04:04:32  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
A brief crossover question from another topic currently active:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15321

Has Elminster ever studied any of the Nether Scrolls?

I'd also like to know if any other Chosen of Mystra have done so.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  04:05:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Procampur was another city "given" to a particular RPGA campaign, so published lore about it is rather scanty. I seem to recall Ed telling me that the Red Wizard enclave was located in an added-on area (city expansion) rather than being shoehorned into/walled out of an existing city district, but we'll have to see what he says.
Ed DOES have Procampan heraldry (a banner, a simplified badge, and full blazonry) in his notes. He has them for all of the Inner Sea ports he created (almost all of them); the ones for Chessenta were particularly intricate and interesting.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  11:32:56  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message
I just knew Ed would have heraldry of his cities, I always wished they'd put more of those in the "official" Realms books, I mean sure they gave us some, like the Purple Dragon of Cormyr, but still I'm willing to bet that each city/town in Cormyr probably had their own heraldic device, man! I'd give various parts of my anatomy (both the left and the right one) to get a peek of just half of Ed's notes he's got squirreled away!

One more quick Procampur question and then, by all the Watching Gods, I'll lay off Procampur already.

Is there a certain gem that Procampur is renowned for above all others? Or just gems in general?

Edit: Oh and I wanted to add:
Were-Beavers in the Realms! FTW!!

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.

Edited by - The_Silversword on 04 Jun 2011 11:34:36
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  18:02:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eldacar, I bring you these words, from Ed:

Any of the Chosen of Mystra in the 1360s DR who desired to read the Nether Scrolls have done so. This includes Elminster and all of the Seven except Qilué.
However, all of the Chosen perused them rather as a lifelong resident of a city reads an account of that city written by a visitor: to see what others may think or see or believe of what is already familiar (expressed in another manner, and approached in other ways). Most of the Chosen thought of particular interests they held, asked Mystra to tell them which scroll dealt with that, and read (only) that particular section, out of curiosity's sake. (In all cases, Mystra assisted them and their curiosity was satisfied.)
Here are the most important game considerations regarding the Nether Scrolls (in addition to what the existing rulebooks/sourcebooks say):
It is impossible for mortal minds to encompass (remember) ALL of the information in the Scrolls. Yes, reading all of a scroll grants you a level. But a PC CANNOT read all 50 of them and thereby gain fifty levels. They will go mad long before that (usually around the middle of the eighth scroll, if strong-minded, but sometimes as soon as early in the fifth scroll). This can't be varied by waiting between scrolls, even for years, or by choosing only particular scrolls or in a particular order; it's a function of mental capacity and strength. The Chosen, with their constant exposure to flows of the Weave, and any being who has possessed and ridden the mind of another being for long, while that being was still alive, sentient, and "awake and aware," are mentally stronger than other creatures, but even they can't "stroll through the Scrolls."
So any character who claims to have done so is obviously mad. (And any player of a character asserting as much is deluded.) ;}
An insane being of sufficient mental drive and determination can "keep going" through the scrolls, IF the scrolls are immediately to hand and no searching, movement out of a particular place, or retrieval is necessary to "get the next scroll," but no level or other benefit will accrue, thanks to deepening madness. Later magical attempts to heal such insanity almost always succeed - - but at the cost of severely limiting that being's capacity to wield the Art, typically lowering the level they can ever after operate at, despite experience gained, to lower than when they first opened a Nether Scroll. In many cases, ALL capacity for the Art (magic and its wielding) is lost.
Only direct divine aid (i.e. a god of the right nature [[magical aptitude plus caring-for-mortals temperment]] taking a mortal by the hand and "accompanying" them mentally through the scrolls) will prevent insanity. As one might expect, such aid is rare.
The Chosen, during the time of Mystra's Weave, have no real need to read the Scrolls. Unless they try to learn things magical beyond the Weave itself, or something that Mystra and Azuth forbade them to try to find out (very few topics, but among them: killing a divine being or a fellow Chosen and the implications; the essence of refining raw magical power or darkfire [[note: yes, this IS canon, thanks to Mystara and some early TSR design decisions; it fulfills the function of magically-shrouded "antimatter" in the Realms]] into silver fire; and inquiring too closely into the nature of the Sharn [[being as some Sharn are former Chosen, Magisters, others of Mystra's servitors, or other beings Mystra and Azuth aided in "hiding" in Sharn form indefinitely or permanently]]), they can learn what they need to know through their own research, or observation, or through the Weave, or by asking Azuth or Mystra or fellow Chosen directly (there's no compulsion on any of those sources for obedient direct answering, mind you; in many matters, Azuth and Mystra believe that "learning things yourself" is the best way, because it makes their Chosen wiser and stronger than just being told answers).
Note: the Nether Scrolls are not part of the Weave or linked to it. Mystra IS the Weave, and the Weave was the most flexible and accessible to most mortals system of accessing the natural powers of the world; in other words, it was the most popular system of magic but not the only system of magic; after Mystra's fall, a new and different but superficially similar (because its developers so often desired to replicate identical or very similar magical effects) Weave developed, which is what pertains at the time of the Year of the Ageless One. However, the Nether Scrolls do store so much magical knowledge that they can be seen as a "backup" copy of the Art, in case all Art is sundered or all its practitioners eliminated. As both Azuth and Mystra "worked with" the Scrolls in private, it is highly likely that they bonded themselves to particular scrolls, and so can eventually "come back" from utter destruction (probably as past versions of themselves, just as Manshoon's awakened clones are copies of his younger selves), through some as-yet-unknown-to-mortals process.

So saith Ed. Who would love to say more, but has written right up to the edge of an NDA and so been forced to stop there. Enjoy, I hope!
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  18:05:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody.
To The_Silversword, your followup questions have gone off to Ed. Regarding gems, my notes from play (early 1980s) record that garnets are plentifully traded in (and from) Procampur. That's "abundant" rather than "renowned," however . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  21:05:26  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message
THO, would you please convey this question to Ed?

3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons had a 'player empowerment' quality unseen in prior editions of the game. Not only was rules transparency, as opposed to DM caveat, a leading theme in 3rd edition design, but the dense rules-set allowed for dedicated players to develop characters whose abilities far-exceeded those in previous editions.

How did you feel that the introduction of the "Spellfire Wielder" feat in the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms Campaign, and the follow-up prestige class "Spellfire Channeler" in Magic of Faerun, would effect the way that home-game players experienced the Realms?

In your view, is "specialness", or "Reams-feel" lost if player-characters channel spellfire, or are even Chosen of gods?

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  22:34:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-I don't usually ask questions, but something piqued my mind. I was re-reading Realms of Dragons, and finished Ed's short story, "The Keeper of Secrets". As an aside, I enjoyed it, but after reading it, I had a few questions regarding Song Dragons. Raumarth, one of the aforementioned Dragons, is a male. I was under the impression that Song Dragons were only female (raising the question, how do they make Song Dragon hatchlings?). That's really only a side-point, though. My main question was why Song Dragons have a particular affinity with Waterdeep. I recall reading that they primarily live among Humans in Waterdeep. Taunamorla, one of the Song Dragons, mentions that others of her kind had a hand in crafting some of the powerful Waterdhavian wards that protect the city. What, specifically, is it about Waterdeep that attracts them, as opposed to Song Dragons clustering in other cities?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  02:37:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Lord Karsus, I have this niggling apprehension that your query is going to run into NDA trouble (though I've sent it off to Ed in hopes that it doesn't), because there's an unpublished Ed short story about that, and if I remember rightly, there's some sort of ongoing link between song dragons and Waterdeep's wards (or the older underlying mythals). (Wards aiding the song dragons in healing when needed? Don't quote me on that one, because I can't really recall . . .)
As for Raumarth being a male, weredragons can be both male and female. 3e highlighted just the particular sort of weredragons known as Song Dragons, that take the form of female humans and female dragons, but the male weredragons who sire them still exist. They're just VERY rare now, thanks to being hunted by the Zhents AND the Cult of the Dragon for dragon-steed-breeding purposes (another largely untold tale of the Realms, though we Knights have seen quite a bit of it in play). Probably rare enough (like maedar, the male medusae) that a staff designer figured they didn't rate a writeup. Only really powerful unique creatures (the terrasque, demon princes, archdevils, etc.) usually get their own writeup, these days . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Jun 2011 02:38:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  02:58:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again.
Saer Cormraeril, your queries have gone off to Ed. I can give you a start on his answer to this, however, by quoting things he's said earlier: "In your view, is "specialness", or "Reams-feel" lost if player-characters channel spellfire, or are even Chosen of gods?"
Here's Ed, from an e-mail sent to some RPGA judges years back:

Spellfire is an integral part of the Realms, but (like any other power, when unopposed; remember the adventure with Rannas the Poisoner, where no one had any antidote to any of the poisons?) is a campaign-wrecker if used too widely. So PCs who have access to spellfire should be "met" in the adventure by challenges that either discourage their spellfire use, or test it.
With a PC archer, the DM should provide temptations throughout the scenario to expend arrows, so a lazy player who resorts to arrows first, last, and always, as the answer to any foe, will run a large risk of "running out of ammo" before the encounters where they are REALLY needed. So, too, with spellfire.
Reward creativity in spellfire use (attempts to heal, attempts to "burn" doors or windows in wards rather than just bringing down the ward, attempts to cook and weld). Make PCs who think having spellfire makes them swaggeringly invulnerable ("I'll just hold off the four dragons while you pour the wine . . .") think again, the hard way.
Spellfire should be something precious, that evokes awe. Not an option every second PC has ready, for when their favorite dagger isn't appropriate for a strong foe.

And this, from a TSR panel handout, from the Milwaukee GenCon days:

Comics readers are familiar with the problems of having gods (or "sons of gods") on teams of superheroes (Thor in the Avengers, Hercules in the Defenders). If stories are properly written to reflect their true powers, the rest of the team is rendered superfluous if Thor or Herc aren't kept busy or offstage.
So, too, with a Chosen of Mystra, or the "Chosen" of other Realms deities (who might bear the same title, but are subtly different; they are usually empowered mortal champions rather than bearers of the divine essence of their deity, able to effectively defy that deity). If a PC Chosen is a member of an adventuring band, and not stricken with mania, amnesia, frequent involuntary shapechanging, or some other Chosen-related affliction, he or she will soon overbalance all the other PCs.
So if you can't resist the allure of Chosen-hood, think about structuring an entire campaign around a PC Chosen. This is ideal for one-player-one-DM play. As is the "lone mage researching spells and slowly growing more magically powerful." I have used the latter as a sideline campaign in my "home" Realmsplay, when one player has a lot more time free to spend with me than others, and it works quite well as an adjunct. The Chosen (unless it's a super-powerless mortal PC just given the title of "Chosen" by a well-meaning [or sadistic enemy] priest) campaign DOESN'T work well as a sideline, because the challenges/foes have to be scaled up to properly test the Chosen...rendering the other PCs useless sidekicks or in everpresent danger of being casually wiped out by one round of attacks.

So saith Ed. Who I'm sure will have more to say about "specialness" and "Realms-feel" having a lot to do with the DM's acting abilities and style of presentation, and less to do with specific elements and situations. Yet, we'll see . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Jun 2011 03:06:52
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  08:09:28  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Eldacar, I bring you these words, from Ed:

(Lots of very, very interesting stuff.)

So saith Ed. Who would love to say more, but has written right up to the edge of an NDA and so been forced to stop there. Enjoy, I hope!
love,
THO

Fascinating. To expand with a slight follow-up question, then (and hopefully treading around whatever the mystery NDA is), when Ecamane Truesilver studied the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar in Windsong Tower (my copy of GHotR places it in 580 DR), reportedly a complete set of fifty scrolls (all five chapters), which chapters of the scrolls did he study? He spent ten months studying them and had his hair "aged white" from the magic and wisdom gained, but unless he had divine aid, he would have gone quite insane, no?

Additionally, it was mentioned that with the assistance from a deity, all the Nether Scrolls could be "walked through" by an individual, and that while such aid was rare, it is not unheard of. Can Ed say anything about individuals who have read the entire set of Nether Scrolls? If the Chosen haven't, then who has? I would imagine that Larloch or Ioulaum might be among that number, for example, but can't really think of any others off the top of my head other than particular Netherese Archwizards way back when Netheril was at its height (Karsus?).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  08:37:21  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi again!

I have two questions today:

1. I have red only bits and pieces about the Giant's plain, but as far as I know after the Giant-Tribe that lived there was driven into the Giant's run Mountains, noone ( at least no civilization ) has settled there anymore. I was wondering if either Cormyr, Amn or one of the free cities in the areas has ever treid to actually seize and settle the area, for it makes vast lands of farmland, and could probably support a Huge population. Could you give me some information, if there is actually someone settling in force, or maybe even a nation laying claim to it?

2. I have red an article here in candlekeep that the church of Bahamut approached Cormyr in 1373, and they struck an alliance with the nation, for being allowed to seize the stonelands for the church. Since then a migration of metallic dragons has occured in the stonelands, and even a troupe of 20 half-dragon paladins ventured into the stonelands. also here, can you tellme if this is actually reality in the realms in 1373, or just an article by an enthusiastic / ambitious scribe here?

Thenks a lot in advance for a reply.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  18:45:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eldacar, I bring you swift responses from Ed re. your most recent queries. Here we go:

". . . when Ecamane Truesilver studied the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar in Windsong Tower (my copy of GHotR places it in 580 DR), reportedly a complete set of fifty scrolls (all five chapters), which chapters of the scrolls did he study?"

Ed: All of them. He had Azuth assisting him in a complete walkthrough. Keeping him from insanity and overload, but leaving him like your average university student cramming through a difficult course: read everything, understood most of it - - but a year later, only a few "high points" stuck in his memory. The lasting benefits were breakthrough insights regarding those high points, and a half-remembered "ah, THIS way will probably work better . . . I seem to remember . . ." for the rest of it, when doing magical innovation.

"He spent ten months studying them and had his hair "aged white" from the magic and wisdom gained, but unless he had divine aid, he would have gone quite insane, no?"

Ed: Yes. Without divine aid, he would have gone quite insane. (For most mages, drooling, barking, wild behavior OBVIOUSLY insane. A rare few can still function, hiding their insanity from others for long periods - - and they of course become the most dangerous.)

"Additionally, it was mentioned that with the assistance from a deity, all the Nether Scrolls could be "walked through" by an individual, and that while such aid was rare, it is not unheard of. Can Ed say anything about individuals who have read the entire set of Nether Scrolls? If the Chosen haven't, then who has? I would imagine that Larloch or Ioulaum might be among that number, for example, but can't really think of any others off the top of my head other than particular Netherese Archwizards way back when Netheril was at its height (Karsus?)."

Ed: Larloch and Ioulaum have read the entire Nether Scrolls. Both are those 'most dangerous' functioning insane sorts I mentioned (rare, yes). For that matter, Elminster is another dangerous functioning insane individual.
Karsus has NOT read the entire Nether Scrolls. He is driven by his overweening pride/arrogance, to such an extent that if he hasn't created it on his own, it's worth nothing. If someone else has devised a clever magic, he must duplicate it ON HIS OWN (and, in his mind by definition do it 'better'). He has perused them on several occasions when 'stuck' with something he couldn't intuit or understand or develop, but is suspicious of them because he views them as an attempt by the Sarrukh to control the minds of those who read them (yes, he believes the Scrolls contain sarrukh sentience - - and may very well be correct in this belief). Karsus is all about "I am the best ever, I do it myself, I am self-made and supreme and this validates my dominance." (He's wrong, but nothing shakes this belief . . . and now, trapped forever at the moment of his death, nothing ever will. He knows he's failed, but can't move beyond the moment of that realization.)

So saith Ed. Who, fresh from some steampunk fun, is busy with a fun Realms project at the moment. And some rush "ghostwriting book-rescuing" from a major New York publisher, involving a top name perennially on the bestseller lists (not in fantasy, sf, or gaming).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Jun 2011 01:47:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  01:57:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jakuta Khan, re. this: "1. I have red only bits and pieces about the Giant's Plain, but as far as I know after the Giant-Tribe that lived there was driven into the Giant's Run Mountains, noone ( at least no civilization ) has settled there anymore. I was wondering if either Cormyr, Amn or one of the free cities in the areas has ever tried to actually seize and settle the area, for it makes vast lands of farmland, and could probably support a Huge population. Could you give me some information, if there is actually someone settling in force, or maybe even a nation laying claim to it?"

Not that I know of. All of the candidates for settlement you mention have ample grazing lands closer to home. The Giant's Plain is open, seemingly endless grassland, and that's the problem: anyone dwelling there (as opposed to passing through, like caravans) is a sitting duck for hungry dragons on the wing (or any other formidable aerial predator or flock of predators), gnolls and other bipedal predators roaming in warbands, and so on. Trees and therefore usable wood is sparse, easily-reached water isn't abundant, and one must go to the mountains to get minerals. Yes, it can support vast herds (and does: of wild beasts, who of course come with "fast great cat" predators, leucrotta, and other such nuisances).
Amn has plenty of ranchland of its own, Cormyr ditto, and the various free cities nearby all exist because of overland trade (and sometimes, its intersection with along-river trade). They can use handy grasslands without occupying them, so . . . no one stays. Thus far, at least.
Now, a plague or flooding or other devastation that caused Cormyr or Amn or another realm's population to flee en masse, looking for a new place to settle, might change that...

I can say all of this because settling the Heartland central wilderlands is something Ed and his players (including me) have discussed more than once, and I know Ed talked it over with TSR designers a time or two, as well.
It could be an interesting "big change factor" in a campaign, but you'd need a displaced population to have sudden and considerable settlement, as opposed to isolated steadings.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  02:14:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Lord Karsus, I bring you Ed of the Greenwood's reply to this query of yours: "My main question was why Song Dragons have a particular affinity with Waterdeep. I recall reading that they primarily live among Humans in Waterdeep. Taunamorla, one of the Song Dragons, mentions that others of her kind had a hand in crafting some of the powerful Waterdhavian wards that protect the city. What, specifically, is it about Waterdeep that attracts them, as opposed to Song Dragons clustering in other cities?"
Here's Ed:

Hi, Lord Karsus. I'm afraid the heart of a proper reply to your question is going to be missing because of a Realms-fiction-related NDA. (As in, there's a told but not yet published story here.)
But I can hint like crazy, so here we go . . .
Dragons are magical creatures.
Waterdeep has some integral magics of some age and complexity, some of which I know you've been recently discussing here at the Keep.
Dragons are attracted to those magics.
Song Dragons (and a few other dragon subtypes, all of whom can shapechange into human form, and so "hide among" humanity) like to dwell among humans. They are fascinated by the energy, creativity, variety, and industry of humankind, and find humans easy to manipulate and fun to be around. In other words, dragons can immerse themselves in the human "game" and enjoy it, being endlessly entertained. Humans also offer the most versatile and surprising pawns in the contests played between dragons (see Erin's novel THE GOD CATCHER for a glimpse of these).
Waterdeep has always been a bustling hive of human commerce, a crossroads where a great variety of humans (and other sentient races) congregate, then go off all over the Realms trading. Offering a dragon hiding in human shape ready transport elsewhere AND the greatest variety of humans to interact with. "Important" and "exciting" things (in the affairs of humans) are constantly happening in Waterdeep, and tolerance for variety and social climbing and mercantile striving and invention are high.
There have always been quite a few shapechanging dragons dwelling in, or frequently visiting, Waterdeep, from its earliest human year-round-permanently-settled days. Some dragons don't like to be around other dragons, or jealously defend their turf (see a lot of my Wyrms of the North), yet inevitably draconic dominions overlap. Shapechanging dragons DO like to be around others of their kind, reveling in the rivalries that develop as much as they enjoy the friendships. So, over time, more and more of these dragons congregate in Waterdeep . . . and more come because they hear that other dragons are there (and haven't been exposed and slain for what they are), and it becomes a self-fulfilling thing.
Draconic families develop, and feuds, too, and inevitably certain strong-willed dragons want to dominate and control Waterdeep, and others are just as determined to deny these rivals of theirs the chance of gaining control . . .
And this is where I'd better stop, when it's all still interesting campaign fodder and I haven't said too much. Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and Waterdeep and song dragons . . . and their 2e predecessors weredragons, too.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  05:45:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
THO please tell ED that the sample chapter of bury elminster deep was very good.

now where's chapter 2

PRAISE MYSTRA!!!!!!!

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  07:53:57  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:

Ed: All of them. He had Azuth assisting him in a complete walkthrough. Keeping him from insanity and overload, but leaving him like your average university student cramming through a difficult course: read everything, understood most of it - - but a year later, only a few "high points" stuck in his memory. The lasting benefits were breakthrough insights regarding those high points, and a half-remembered "ah, THIS way will probably work better . . . I seem to remember . . ." for the rest of it, when doing magical innovation.

Many thanks for the quick responses. I do have a few more questions that popped into my head upon reading through Ed's quite detailed response, though:

Azuth assisted Ecamane in walking through the entirety of the Nether Scrolls, which would presumably include the "locked" chapter dealing with the creation of artifacts (the Ars Factum). The scholars of Windsong Tower were (supposedly) never able to discover that additional key to open and read the entirety of the scrolls. Would it be plausible to guess that the key to open them would be a deity such as Azuth or Mystra (or Savras, or even Velsharoon post-ascension?) showing them to you? Or can they be opened without divine aid, and the key is just something that Azuth showed Ecamane when he helped him through the Scrolls? Additionally, though it supposedly takes as much as an entire month to review a single scroll of the fifty, Ecamane managed (with Azuth helping) to get through them all in just ten months (almost five scrolls each month!). Was this also a result of Azuth taking him through them, and the increased speed leading to a "cramming" effect? Would taking more time to study them at a slower pace have lead to a greater ability to retain the knowledge gained from the Scrolls?

Second, do there exist ways of artificially increasing your, I suppose, "capacity" to handle the information contained within the Scrolls, but without divine aid (so to speak)?

This relates to another artifact that I noticed when perusing Serpent Kingdoms, the Naja Fountain. It enhances the "spellcasting power" (for lack of a better term - 3rd edition game rules have it as a permanent +3 bonus to the arcane spellcaster's caster level for spells) of any wizard, sorcerer or similar who bathes in it, presumably by altering and improving their ability to wield magic to a greater level. Is this an example of increasing mental capacity, or would it actually be like the Scrolls in that if you've gone through the Naja Fountain, then you're going to be pushed closer to overload and your ability to comprehend the power/knowledge in the Nether Scrolls would actually decrease?

Did the Sarrukh ever manage to gain a complete understanding of the information within the Scrolls? It was the Bae'tith who first wrote them, though given what Ed has mentioned, I'd also guess that they had some help along the way (either asked for or given without their knowledge), contributing to the end result, perhaps without their even being aware of it until they went back over the finished product.

Lastly, the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar is in the form of a tree. With the normal Scrolls, the letters appear in silvery writing that swims and moves to form each "page" of the text. How does the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar differ from the scrolls in the way that it imparts its knowledge? Where does the "writing" appear from?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  10:16:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

THO please tell ED that the sample chapter of bury elminster deep was very good.

now where's chapter 2

PRAISE MYSTRA!!!!!!!

Link or it didn't happen!

Oh it did happen!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 06 Jun 2011 10:39:58
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  12:41:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One( . . .)
As for Raumarth being a male, weredragons can be both male and female. 3e highlighted just the particular sort of weredragons known as Song Dragons, that take the form of female humans and female dragons, but the male weredragons who sire them still exist. They're just VERY rare now, thanks to being hunted by the Zhents AND the Cult of the Dragon for dragon-steed-breeding purposes (another largely untold tale of the Realms, though we Knights have seen quite a bit of it in play). Probably rare enough (like maedar, the male medusae) that a staff designer figured they didn't rate a writeup.

quote:
So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and Waterdeep and song dragons . . . and their 2e predecessors weredragons, too.

Dear THO,

About male weredragons, can I assume they are also dragons that can transform into humans, then? What about the weredragon lycanthropes that appears in the 1e "Hall of Heroes" sourcebook, in the entry of Kelemvor (and other lycanthropes like the wereleopard, werebison, weredog...)? Both weredragons were created by Ed?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page