Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  01:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Nope, turns out I was thinking of Treahugh Greiko (CN hm F6) [The North, p. 73], a different fallen ranger.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  23:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Longtime Lurker

Another question for Ed:
I know that many cities in the Realms have gate guards who control access to the city, collect tolls, etc.
Two questions: how rare or common is it for them to watch for, and try to control, people and goods LEAVING the city (if no alarm has been raised)?
Also, how many places have the habit of, and resources to, set some undercover agents to "tailing" someone who got past the guards but were deemed borderline suspicious, or who were turned away from entering but that the guards think might immediately get "up to something"?
Thanks!

That was precisely the problem facing "the heroes" at the start of ^The Avatar Trilogy: how to get out of town?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  00:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

I'm on a roll....

Ed,

What does Loxo music sound like?

I suppose there's a lot of trumpeting....

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  04:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BlackMoria

Some questions for the esteemed Ed.

Lately, I have been planning a campaign in the Narfell region and look for inspiration in the region's past.

Narfell and Raumathar were mighty empires which destroyed each other. Given the fact that Narfell is peopled by barbarian tribes and not numerous (about 30,000 for the entire region) at the present, some 1300+ years after the war, what was the general nature of the war between the two nations?

(snip)

Given how busy Ed is at the moment, your best bets would be the Unapproachable East sourcebook, and Bruce R. Cordell's novels written under his own name, Lady of Poison and its sequel, especially the former, because much of the action takes place in Nar ruins. You won't find all of your answers there. Much of that history has been deliberately left vague so that DMs may exercise some creativity and shape the regions and their pasts to suit their campaigns. There are vague hints and occasional inexplicable wonders throughout the whole of northeast Faerun and the western Hordelands.

Unapproachable East contains the two surviving Nar and Raumathri prestige classes, so there are surviving magical and military traditions from the two empires, but what tends to happen when magically-powerful empires go to war against each other is near-total annihilation of both parties ("Mutually Assured Destruction" in our lingo). The Evermoors and Plains of Purple Dust, and much of the wasteland around Calimshan, Amn and Tethyr was created by magical battles, and there are few surviving fragments of any of the combatant civilizations. (On Oerth, think of the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colorless Fire -- result? -- both the Suloise and their enemies were reduced to nomadism in a blasted wasteland which is still a ruin thousands of years later.)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  16:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I'd like to mention that the antagonist of the novel Bloodwalker (the bloodwalker, herself) was a daughter of the Nar tribes, and there's a little bit of information about the Nar tribes in said novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  19:40:00  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
Another question for Ed:

I am launching a plotline in my campaign in which fireflies will be featuring prominently, appearing with unusual concentrations around Cormanthor and the Dales. This is a hint toward Oacenth's legacy. But what might Dalesfolk or others make of this as a portent? Is there any other firefly lore current in the Dalelands?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  22:53:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ho ho!
Ed is racing around the Ontario countryside at the moment, but this question from Vangelor is one I can handle (from experience playing in the Realms with Ed as DM)! Fireflies in the Dales (Deepingdale, Shadowdale, and Mistledale in particular) mean Lurue is active and manifesting and aware of what's unfolding ....
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Apr 2008 23:04:35
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  02:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Greetings Fabulous Flirtatious One and Lord Ed of the Greenwood.

I was wondering if either of you could shed some light on the community of Askavar. All I've managed to dig up is that it was an elven one that perished about 800 years back and that it was located in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Its people left heading for Evereska or Evermeet.

My players are in the area and I'd like them to find some ruins but I would like to have some more information. Potentially useful information might be along the lines of, did they have allies/enemies, did they do magical research, did they deal in a trade good, or anything else unique about them.

Thank you for your time.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 18 Apr 2008 02:56:25
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  07:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
A quickie (STEADY!): Ed, Jorkens mentioned that in Dragon Magazine # 54 you wrote up the objects of beastcult worship. Would you please tell us more (preferably lots more!) about "PYARAY -- Whisperer of Lord of the Ocean Abysses, Impossible Secrets, Creatures of the Deep," including its apparent source in n Moorcock's Elric cycle? Gran merçi!

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 18 Apr 2008 07:31:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  15:26:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed is still rushing about, etc., but I can make a tiny start on answering Jamallo Kreen: yes, Pyaray is drawn from Moorcock. Specifically, from the D&D writeup of Pyaray in the first edition of DEITIES & DEMIGODS, which included mythoi from Lankhmar (with Leiber's permission, a la Vance), Lovecraft's Cthulhu, and Moorcock's Melnibone (sorry, can't do the proper accent marks in this primitive e-mail program). The latter two were included without legal permission - - hence the book's hasty second edition without them. It's important to remember that in this pre-Internet age, a lot of just plain DMs (including Ed, who has always been an isolated-up-in-Canada freelancer, NOT a company staffer) were unaware of this illicit situation, and therefore assumed these official TSR writeups were now part of the game, and fully usable. (In those days, staying true to canon was what most gamers automatically tried to do, because there WAS only one official source that greatly dominated roleplaying games.)
A close reading of Ed's DRAGON #54 article will turn up the fact that Ed states he's using a lot of deities as "placeholders" until further "official" (i.e. Gygaxian, TSR-published) deities appear and are detailed; the entire thrust of the article was not to present the gods of the Realms, but to show how one DM strolled through the published lore, "official" TSR and otherwise, to pick and choose this and that and structure a pantheon of deities for a long-running campaign. Specifically, in Ed's case, how deity portfolios (not a new concept, but one Ed "pushed" into the D&D game) 'work,' and how a pantheon is shaped (in Ed's case, in a rough balance of deities of various power levels, along alignment lines).
It's important to always bear one thing in mind: what of necessity is discussed fairly clearly in articles intended for DMs has always been far more mysterious/shifting/a matter of disagreements between competing churches in the Realms when one is experiencing Realmsplay.
Ed saw the Beast Cults as a way of including interesting "little secretive local worship" in such play (often as the stereotypical "evil guys about to do unspeakable things to unclad female chained to altar, as heroic PCs burst in") without putting certain deities into positions of frontline dominance in Faerunian lives.
Of course, I'll hand your post on to Ed for his own, proper reply, in the fullness of time. I can say that he's always regretted the focus on godly powers, avatars, et al at the expense of detailing what the churches do (daily prayers, do's and don'ts, festivals and other 'big' rituals, creeds, secret priesthood aims, etc.).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  15:58:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. For the record (and to save time and upset for the fairly steady flood of scribes asking me anxiously), barring some terrible future problem at WotC, the third Knights of Myth Drannor novel, THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS, will indeed be published (though I understand it's now set for a November 2008 release rather than August).
It has been finished, submitted to Wizards, edited, and the editor and Ed have then gone over the MS to polish here, embellish there, and pat the new baby on its behind and pronounce it ready to toddle out into the world.
I asked Ed to comment on its contents, and he said:

Readers seeking RSEs will probably be disappointed.
Readers who want to see glimpses of Khelben, Torm, and Rathan, and a lot more of the Knights and the Obarskyrs and Dauntless interacting (often rather testily) should be pleased.
Readers seeking one way to whisk PCs and NPCs from the 3e Realms times up into the 4e dating should discover one handy new element . . . and at least one NPC becomes fascinating and steps forward to take far more of a hand in the proceedings than we saw of the character in SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE.

So saith Ed.
Getting hungry to read this? I am!!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  16:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Readers seeking RSEs will probably be disappointed.

Good thing that's not me.

quote:
Getting hungry to read this? I am!!

Me too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Apr 2008 16:37:59
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:41:45  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:

Ho ho!
Ed is racing around the Ontario countryside at the moment, but this question from Vangelor is one I can handle (from experience playing in the Realms with Ed as DM)! Fireflies in the Dales (Deepingdale, Shadowdale, and Mistledale in particular) mean Lurue is active and manifesting and aware of what's unfolding ....
love to all,
THO

That certainly gives me the handle I needed, as Uvaeren Misteldale is where things are apt to be happening. ;) I think I can arrange to keep everyone guessing until Midsummer, too. Thanks for the quick reply, THO.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  23:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Thank you, gracious Lady. I shall now have to hunt down the illicit edition. (I *used* to own one, but after all these years....)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  06:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

I was doing some historical research as RW back ground for Afetbinttuzani's scroll of inquiry, "how much does a Cormyrian gold piece weigh?" and came across the interesting factoid that the symbol for the florin is the "long 'F'" so hated by students trying to read old documents. The question then came to me: what symbols are used by merchants and accountants in the Realms to designate the various coins from here, there, and that other place?

May I also add that I would LOVE IT if Ed would write a monograph on Realms numismatics (and get Wizards to publish it)? Even in 1475 the old coinage is still old coinage, and possibly even more collectible, so it might help to ease the transition for some of us to ... that other version.

Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  15:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message
THO, I'm just letting you and Ed know that I don't need my question (from back in August) answered anymore. I had to come up with my own descriptions, so naturally I'm sticking with those.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8518&whichpage=52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  17:00:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, Kalevala, if you don't mind, I'd still like Ed to answer your original query. I would like to read what he comes up with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Apr 2008 17:01:20
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  09:42:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO!
I have a question concerning the map of Eveningstar, in particuar the position of the Pillar Rock (local landmark; old tomb cave in base):

In Volo's Guide to Cormyr the 'Pillar Rock' is on the westsite of the Redhand Pool.
However, in the adventure module Waterdeep (Avatar Trilogy part 3) it is located on the eastern site of the pool.

I wonder which of those two locations is the correct one for the Pillar Rock and what is the other location than?

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Apr 2008 09:45:16
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:32:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all!
Ergdusch, Pillar Rock is indeed on the west side of the pool (it's a "tower" of rock the same height as the plateau/clifftop adjacent to it, left behind by erosion, with the tomb cavern inside.
The map location erroneously marked on the east side of the Pool is another, far more recent tomb, that NPC adventurers made for their fallen and tried to guard against beast despoilings by lining (walls and ceiling) with huge, heavy stone slabs.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:40:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again.
Kalevala, of COURSE you would use your own descriptions, and Ed apologizes for taking so long to get to your question (he still hasn't managed it, I'm afraid). Yet he WILL provide an answer when he can, so rest easy, Sage.
Right now, Ed is coping with the usual platter-full of problems. Including, just now, the sleepy aftermath of dealing with a restless litter of baby skunks at around 5 am, after finally settling down to sleep at 2 am.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all!
Ergdusch, Pillar Rock is indeed on the west side of the pool

It appears on the West side in Ed's "Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" (TSR 1992) module as well.

Ed, can you give any details about Old Tomb from a DM's perspective? Who is buried there? When? What is the tomb like? Traps? Plot hooks? ..and so on.

I also have a question regarding a room in the actual Haunted Halls dungeon in the "Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" module. In room 9, the "Red Chamber", there is a couch on which lays a maiden named Estrel who has been freshly murdered "for purposes of evil sorcery" (p. 17) by "a man, probably a thief called ´Ruathgrym´ (actually a local Zhentarim agent, now somewhere in the Stonelands)" (p. 18). Ed, could you expand a bit on the context of this room. This room appears to be a bit out of place, perhaps a fragment of another adventure or a remnant of the much larger original dungeon that you mention in the Introduction to the module. How did you envision this room fitting into the larger story of this Dungeon?

My group of relatively new players (4PCs @ level 3) are currently arriving in Eveningstar, and will soon be cutting their teeth, like so many others have, on the Haunted Halls.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 23 Apr 2008 04:36:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  03:27:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring more words from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in reply to Zandilar’s response of April 11th, which I’ve edited and numbered for clarity purposes (to better link Ed’s words with Zandilar’s):

[[regarding Ed’s comment on names]]
1. “What is "too modern"? I have my own ideas on what that is, but I'd be interested to see what you have to write on the matter. (ie: Is it the way the name sounds? The use of letters? Placement of vowels?)
Do the people of the Realms name their children after beloved rulers and others (whether currently active or historical figures) they might admire? From what you wrote there, I gather there aren't too many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen then?”

[[regarding Ed mentioning an NDA covering Myrmeen’s child]]
2. “If Myrmeen's child is going to be a factor in 4th Edition, she's going to be a very old lady (of the dead and buried variety old) by then (or he, I suppose, I'm still hoping it'll be a daughter - too many powerful females in Cormyr have gone and have either been replaced by male characters or not at all)... Unless, for some reason, Myrmeen's child has innate longevity, of course, or access magical items/potions that extend life...”

[[regarding Ed’s mention of Luckpriests in Arabel advocating the bestowal of ‘lucky’ names on newborns]]
3. “These "lucky" names, are they actually names Tymora has revealed to her priests, or is it some kind of scam to part people with their money? I normally wouldn't ask, but given the apparent flavour/nature of the Arabelan Church (in particular), I wouldn't put it past Daramos to come up with such a plan.”

[[regarding this, from Ed: “Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”]]
4. “Interesting. I am sure more than one "Thorn" hasn't lived up to it though... they can't all just magically become tomboys. But I may be a touch biased here, since, to me, tomboy is more than just appearance - it's attitude as well - as much nature as it is nurture.”

Ed replies:

1. In this context, for me, “too modern” is a vague ‘trips my wince-radar’ matter. If the spelling, sound of the name, or the actual wording (the name itself, or its meaning in any real-world language I happen to know of) causes me to pause or shudder, my radar has been tripped and the name needs fixing. I avoid real-world proper names wherever possible, but not real-world terms that happen to work (e.g. “florin” and “falcon” and “hand” all sounded ‘good’ together, as did “Tamper Tencoin” - - but I wouldn’t want to fill my tales with too many such names). The gate [portal] travel between “real-world Earth” and the Realms (plus the peregrinations of a select few NPCs such as Elminster) give us JUST enough wiggle room to sneak in SOME real-world words (again, “florin” is an example), but I did NOT want Galahads and Lancelots running around Faerûn.
Erik Scott de Bie’s recent fictional use of Fox and Twilight are just fine. I have in the past read (and spoken against) Realms book proposals that featured “Aragorn” and “Dirk McGrim” and these of course are decidedly NOT fine. One can evoke a mood with a name without copying a well-known fictional name (Howard’s “Thulsa Doom” is obviously off limits; I did not coin my Szass Tam as a deliberate copy, and the closest I came in meaning to “Doom” would be my Arbane, but I could readily imagine someone crafting a Realms name that evoked the sinister ‘sound’ of the name “Doom”).
The time jump allows the use of different naming styles, yet avoiding something too jarringly close to the real world is still desirable.
Some folk in the Realms do indeed name their children after beloved rulers and others they admire (both currently active and historical figures - - and if you include family ancestors as “historical figures” then that “Some folk” should be altered to read “Many folk”).
However, as you surmised, at the time my reply was set (pre-Spellplague), there weren’t many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen. She was personally admired, but still regarded as the highest officer of an oppressive “rule from down South.” A parent of Arabel might be wary of fellow locals thinking a child named Myrmeen signalled parentage involving illicit sexual relations with either Myrmeen herself, or one of her staff (note: I don’t mean that local citizens would think Myrmeen birthed a child named after her and gave her to childless parents of Arabel, but that parents might think they named the child to commemorate or celebrate a love affair with Myrmeen or a fellow Dragon officer “from Suzail or thereabouts”). Silly, yes, but I’m describing things as I see them being, not as they ought to be.

2. I can’t comment much here (that’s what NDAs mean), other than to say there’s been no confirmation that Myrmeen stopped at one child, that all of your speculations [[THO note: Zandilar’s words quoted earlier in this reply]] remain in play, and that this doesn’t mean 4e material will soon (or ever) mention Myrmeen or any progeny; sometimes NDAs safeguard possibilities that don’t get followed through on.

3. Yes, the church DID come up with this as a fundraising plan, but not out of any innate religious dishonesty or larceny; they hit upon the idea AFTER several names on that list were revealed to various priests during their prayers and dreams (the clergy of a particular local church of most non-oppressive faiths habitually discuss their prayer- and dream-visions and messages with each other, seeking to understand and reveal as much as possible of the will of the deity). One can be sure that if their notion had displeased Tymora, She would have made that abundantly - - and very swiftly - - clear. If necessary, to folk in Arabel outside the ranks of her clergy, so that the wayward deceit of her priests would soon be clear to all.

4. I quite agree that not all girls named Thorn automatically become tomboys. I meant that, given which children the name is bestowed upon, any such child who has the personal character to become what we would deem a “tomboy” is certainly going to get the chance to do so (experience in all the dirty, close-to-nature daily tasks of farm work, so no shielding from dirty, sweaty-work, blood and death, and no insistence on dainty clothing and the keeping of same clean).
When young, I had grandparents who lived in a small farming village, and while visiting them was delighted (too young for real sexual feelings here, just admiration) to meet and play with a young lass from a neighboring farm who was sent out in her best clothing and told to keep clean for Sunday school, but found a litter of newborn kittens in a dirty crawlspace under a garden shed - - so she calmly shucked all her clothes, hung them over bushes, crawled in to play with the kittens (and show them to the rest of the kids, including me, before leading us all in a tree-climbing “run”), washed the dirt off afterwards in a creek, put her clothes back on, and went off to the church.
Now, not all kids in that situation would doff the clothing and go and play, whether named Thorn or not. But of those who would, a lot of them were named Thorn. :}

So saith Ed. Who is, yes, as wildly busy as always, but still trying to furnish scribes with Realmslore whenever he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  04:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks for the info on those two depraved families there, Ed Greenwood. I think both of them are very nasty, though the Sultlues definitely come off as the worst one of the two. The Illances instead come off more as having some definite "pruning" needing in their family tree though. Their Marquis De Sade like enterprises will be definitely making an appearance in my game soon enough. The Sultues are a bit more likely to involve Infernal Cult Dealings in the future for my game.

Thanks for answering my query.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  13:17:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again Ed and THO

Query re Ranger Marks and Runes:

Are trail marks (generally) consistent across Faerun (so if a Ranger of the Hullack found herself in the Border Forest she would be able to read the runes?).

Do the clergy of the nature faiths have a co-ordinated approach to 'accepted' markings and runes, or does each faith have their own symbols? (am suspecting it might be a yes and no answer so the symbol for orcs is fairly consistent, but not for secret supply cache etc?).

Also how well known are Ranger marks? would an experienced traveller/adventurer/merchant know the more useful marks (water/food/shelter etc)?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  14:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well Again Ed and THO

Are trail marks (generally) consistent across Faerun (so if a Ranger of the Hullack found herself in the Border Forest she would be able to read the runes?).

Do the clergy of the nature faiths have a co-ordinated approach to 'accepted' markings and runes, or does each faith have their own symbols? (am suspecting it might be a yes and no answer so the symbol for orcs is fairly consistent, but not for secret supply cache etc?).

Also how well known are Ranger marks? would an experienced traveller/adventurer/merchant know the more useful marks (water/food/shelter etc)?

Thanks

Damian

For some reason, I seem to think that there is a small bit about this in the 1e grey box... which is unfortunately packed up in a box somewhere so I can't get to it to check.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
When young, I had grandparents who lived in a small farming village, and while visiting them was delighted (too young for real sexual feelings here, just admiration) to meet and play with a young lass from a neighboring farm who was sent out in her best clothing and told to keep clean for Sunday school, but found a litter of newborn kittens in a dirty crawlspace under a garden shed - - so she calmly shucked all her clothes, hung them over bushes, crawled in to play with the kittens (and show them to the rest of the kids, including me, before leading us all in a tree-climbing “run”), washed the dirt off afterwards in a creek, put her clothes back on, and went off to the church.

Awww, kittens. I can't say I blame her!

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Apr 2008 15:49:10
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  15:49:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well Again Ed and THO

Thanks

Damian

For some reason, I seem to think that there is a small bit about this in the 1e grey box... which is unfortunately packed up in a box somewhere so I can't get to it to check.

I think you are thinking of the runes that are on the cardstock from the 2e box set. :) But there should also be some rune lore in the ranger write ups in the 1e and 2e box sets.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Apr 2008 16:40:38
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  18:27:34  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

ED, conjoined twins, can you give a regional take on such children, all they considered abberations, allowed to live?

Regions, the North
Western Heartlands
Calimshan
Any elf region above or below ground
Any dwarf region
Rashemen
Border Kingdoms

Thanks and hope for any tidbit.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind
ED, conjoined twins, can you give a regional take on such children, all they considered abberations, allowed to live?

Holy esoteric question, Batman!! I'm not saying it's irrelevant or anything. I'm sure it is important to your situation. I'm just stunned sometimes by the level of detail we get into regarding this fictitious Realm.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 23 Apr 2008 19:40:03
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:17:58  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

Regions, the North
Western Heartlands
Calimshan
Any elf region above or below ground
Any dwarf region
Rashemen
Border Kingdoms

Thanks and hope for any tidbit.

This one I am eagerly awaiting an answer to, Good question! I forsee a NPC forming with a sibling VERY close by.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000