Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:58:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Awww, kittens. I can't say I blame her!

Sooooo...

If I get me a box of kittens, and put them under the crawlspace of my house, will you...

Awww... never mind... overactive imagination.

@THO - Once again Ed doesn't merely describe something; he paints a very clear picture in our heads.

Thank You for the new lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jun 2008 19:11:28
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  20:30:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

ED, conjoined twins, can you give a regional take on such children, all they considered abberations, allowed to live?

Regions, the North
Western Heartlands
Calimshan
Any elf region above or below ground
Any dwarf region
Rashemen
Border Kingdoms

Thanks and hope for any tidbit.

The only thing I can think of is that with the Thunder Blessing for the Dwarves there would have to be an increase in this sort of thing.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  20:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Awww, kittens. I can't say I blame her!

Sooooo...

If I get me a box of kittens, and put them under the crawlspace of my house, will you...

Awww... never mind... overactive imagination.

I think deliberately putting them there might be kind of mean--there are other (more comfortable) places to keep baby cats.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  21:19:32  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Yeesh, except for my cat Tasha, creatures of feline inclination loathe me. When cleaning my parents' front yard after a storm, one launched itself at me from their weeping willow.

It scored a critical hit.

Incidentally, I've an on-topic question for Mr. Greenwood, or THO, if you know the answer.

Compared to ordinary cats, how do Tressym behave? Are they inclined to be playful or more withdrawn? Additionally, given their intelligence, how well do those found near civilization get along with their neighbors? Do they have the same tendencies as normal cats (painstakingly cleaning themselves, sleeping a lot, etc.)? Anything else you could say would be appreciated.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  00:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Fantastic answers again, as usual!

quote:

Ed replies:

1. In this context, for me, “too modern” is a vague ‘trips my wince-radar’ matter. If the spelling, sound of the name, or the actual wording (the name itself, or its meaning in any real-world language I happen to know of) causes me to pause or shudder, my radar has been tripped and the name needs fixing.
<snip>
Erik Scott de Bie’s recent fictional use of Fox and Twilight are just fine. I have in the past read (and spoken against) Realms book proposals that featured “Aragorn” and “Dirk McGrim” and these of course are decidedly NOT fine. One can evoke a mood with a name without copying a well-known fictional name (Howard’s “Thulsa Doom” is obviously off limits; I did not coin my Szass Tam as a deliberate copy, and the closest I came in meaning to “Doom” would be my Arbane, but I could readily imagine someone crafting a Realms name that evoked the sinister ‘sound’ of the name “Doom”).

There's at least one author I could name who, IMHO, manages to get some of the most godawful names (or completely inappropriate but would be fine in a real world setting) in to their work in the Realms... I wish you had a bit more say on these things.

quote:
Some folk in the Realms do indeed name their children after beloved rulers and others they admire (both currently active and historical figures - - and if you include family ancestors as “historical figures” then that “Some folk” should be altered to read “Many folk”).
However, as you surmised, at the time my reply was set (pre-Spellplague), there weren’t many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen. She was personally admired, but still regarded as the highest officer of an oppressive “rule from down South.” A parent of Arabel might be wary of fellow locals thinking a child named Myrmeen signalled parentage involving illicit sexual relations with either Myrmeen herself, or one of her staff (note: I don’t mean that local citizens would think Myrmeen birthed a child named after her and gave her to childless parents of Arabel, but that parents might think they named the child to commemorate or celebrate a love affair with Myrmeen or a fellow Dragon officer “from Suzail or thereabouts”). Silly, yes, but I’m describing things as I see them being, not as they ought to be.

Leaping off onto a tangent here, what kinds of things would your average Arabelans site as "oppressive"? What is it about the rule of the Obarskyrs in particular that sets them off? Or is it simply that anyone ruling Arabel other than Arabel is going to be thought of as oppressive even if it's the most liberal and enlightened ruler in the history of Faerun? And is this just amongst the nobles of the city, or all folks?

If Arabel did managed to succeed in seceding from Cormyr, would it be capable of standing on its own?

Marsember seems to be in the same boat as well - do they have actual legitimate reasons to deride the government of Cormyr, or is it simply a desire to go back "to the way things were when they were independant"?

quote:
2. I can’t comment much here (that’s what NDAs mean), other than to say there’s been no confirmation that Myrmeen stopped at one child, that all of your speculations [[THO note: Zandilar’s words quoted earlier in this reply]] remain in play, and that this doesn’t mean 4e material will soon (or ever) mention Myrmeen or any progeny; sometimes NDAs safeguard possibilities that don’t get followed through on.

So in other words, NDAs that serve no purpose any more may never be lifted? So even when the 4e Realms are out, we may never find out what became of Myrmeen and her child - is that what you're saying?

The last answer, about Thorn, I won't quote in full here... But it did inspire one more question...

Just how common is it for a person to adopt a new name later in life - whether because the simply didn't like their birth name, or because they somehow "earned" a new one? Are there any cultures in Faerun that have a ceremony (or something) when the person comes of age where they get to choose a new name to replace their birth name? (Using my own experiences as an example for choosing a new name when you're an "adult": I recall when I was at a catholic primary school, we were compelled to do research on saint names when we were the right age, to take up a confirmation name (at 11, which I believe now is actually rather young)... As I was (and still am) not baptized, I wasn't actually able to be confirmed, but I still had to go through the process of name research because they couldn't make an exception for me.)

quote:
When young, I had grandparents who lived in a small farming village, and while visiting them was delighted (too young for real sexual feelings here, just admiration) to meet and play with a young lass from a neighboring farm who was sent out in her best clothing and told to keep clean for Sunday school, but found a litter of newborn kittens in a dirty crawlspace under a garden shed - - so she calmly shucked all her clothes, hung them over bushes, crawled in to play with the kittens (and show them to the rest of the kids, including me, before leading us all in a tree-climbing “run”), washed the dirt off afterwards in a creek, put her clothes back on, and went off to the church.

Awww! How cute! I hope that young lass grew up to be as confident and assertive as she seems from that story.

quote:
Now, not all kids in that situation would doff the clothing and go and play, whether named Thorn or not. But of those who would, a lot of them were named Thorn. :}

It really is a cool name.

quote:

So saith Ed. Who is, yes, as wildly busy as always, but still trying to furnish scribes with Realmslore whenever he can.

Which is always appreciated by us!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  03:33:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you yet more words of Realmslore from Ed of the Greenwood himself, this time to several scribes [all of your queries have been sent to Ed, and he'll answer some of the others at greater individual length]:

To Charles Phipps, Ed says:

You’re quite welcome, enjoy, and I’d love to hear (eventually, as play unfolds) if anything fun or unusual arose out of using these two darkhearted families in your campaign, that you don’t mind sharing more widely (don’t want to ruin things for your players).

To crazedventurers, Ed says:

Hi, Duncan! Yes, trail marks ARE (generally) consistent across Faerun (so a Ranger of the Hullack who found herself in the Border Forest could indeed able to read MOST of the runes).
I say “most” because some of the marks have changed a bit over time (centuries) and, yes, as you surmised, some faiths and local mark-makers who realize that foes have learned what their marks mean have added subtle variants, false marks, special new marks, and so on. “Secret Supply Cache” would indeed be one of those new marks.
Peddlers and other experienced traveller/adventurer/merchants would indeed know the more useful marks (water/food/shelter etc).

And to Zandilar, Ed says:

As far as names go, I too wish I had a bit more say. Sometimes just changing the spelling of a name so it isn’t so obviously real-world is enough. However, complaining about the agreement after I made it is hardly fair or honest, and ’tis what it is.

To the nobles and “old money yet now impoverished or shopkeeping” families of Arabel, who set the social tone for the city, it IS “simply that anyone ruling Arabel other than Arabel is going to be thought of as oppressive even if it's the most liberal and enlightened ruler in the history of Faerun.” It should be noted that in the past when folk of Arabel became courtiers and returned to their city to assist in Crown rule, they were dismissed as “traitors,” so some suspect that this local attitude is self-serving (they’d complain about oppressors even if they came to be ruled by a king born and bred in Arabel).
Not all folk in Arabel feel this way, but those less prosperous (and the few wealthy and bluebloods who disagree) don’t really dare to say so openly, for fear of being shunned (so, no trade and income, and eventual forced departure from the community, or starve) or (among the haughtier) socially cast out.

As for Arabel succeeding on its own, apart from Cormyr, that depends. :}
I’m not trying to weasel out of answering you, I’m honestly stating that there are too many variables to answer this definitively without also deciding all of them.
For instance: if war or the spread of Shade stops overland trade through the northern mountain passes from the Moonsea and the northern Dales, Arabel would become just a base for mining, foraging, and ranching (assuming Shade didn’t conquer). Then it would end up fighting constant skirmishes with bandits and creatures of the Stonelands (and again, the Zhent presence in the Stonelands becomes a variable here, as does the strength of goblinkin forces and the various “desert” tribes of Anauroch, and whether or not anyone in the Dales or Sembia wants to try to conquer Arabel).
If Cormyr ever simply turned its back on Arabel and withdrew without violence, and no one else tried to conquer it (Sembia, Shade, and everyone else “ignoring” it), Arabel could certainly survive as a trade-moot and way-stop on trade routes . . . but it would be a very different Arabel, inside the walls, from the Arabel we know.
Marsember is very similar: the nobles “set” local attitudes, and gain much local support from those under them from the many petty grievances that arise when an “occupying garrison” is permanently in town. The nobles certainly believe they “have actual legitimate reasons to deride the government of Cormyr,” (although some of them conveniently overlook the intertwined early history and bloodlines they share with “those oppressors from Suzail”), but for most citizens of Marsember, it IS simply a vague desire to go back "to the way things were when they were independent.” (Those “ways” being largely romanticized and improved through nostalgia and believing the outright lies of certain nobles.)

On the topic of NDAs: sometimes NDAs that no longer serve a purpose just never get lifted, but more often they are prolonged “just in case.” It’s possible that when the 4e Realms are out, we may never find out what became of Myrmeen and her child - - or we may have to wait some years while, say, someone crafting an RPGA module works up this lore as a back story, or a novelist ponders using it for a book (the Books Department having kept it “cloaked” so that it can serve this purpose).
Please note that I’m NOT saying this is what specifically will happen or that this is planned for Myrmeen and her child. I’m just trying to be clear WHY silences sometimes fall regarding specific bits of lore. We all like to learn all we can about the Realms, even though doing so can sometimes strip away delicious mystery and the sense of wonder, but leaving background lore vague gives writers, designers, editors, and even outside licensors more freedom to develop new things. [This is probably one of the reasons behind the way the 4e Realms is being handled.]

Regarding your question: “Just how common is it for a person to adopt a new name later in life - whether because they simply didn't like their birth name, or because they somehow "earned" a new one? Are there any cultures in Faerun that have a ceremony (or something) when the person comes of age where they get to choose a new name to replace their birth name?”
Yes, many folk in the Realms who leave their home community (often as traders or apprentices) simply take whatever new name they want to (only a few places have really organized tax rolls and the means to maintain them [Cormyr’s War Wizards being the strongest of such means]).
Mercenaries and adventurers customarily take new names when they rise to fame, if they don’t like the sound of their original name or are trying to evade creditors, angry parents, et al - - or they have nicknames thrust upon them by others.
ALL newcomers to a specific locale in the Realms will suffer pressure to alter or at least augment their name if someone in the same trade is already known locally by the same or a similar name (in some guild-prominent cities and towns, this is actually law). So if you’re a swordsmith named Telver and you set up shop in a place that already has a Telver who’s a swordsmith or a general weaponsmith or even a trainer-of-the-blade, you’ll have to use some other name, or at least become “Telver the New” or “Telver the Tall” or “Telver O’ The Beard” or “Telver the Tethyrian” or some other variant of Telver.
There are also both faiths in the Realms where priests take new names when attaining a certain temple rank (Semoor Wolftooth of the Knights of Myth Drannor became “Jelde Asturien”), and communities and lands (most of the Dales, Turmish, the Starmantle area, Elturel, Neverwinter, Silverymoon) where anyone coming of age can officially take a new name of their choosing (so long as it doesn’t cause local confusion, as above with Telver, AND to avoid scoundrels from pretending to be of a prominent local family [or worse yet, nobility] by taking the same surname.
As for the young disrobing-for-kittens lass: I’ve seen her only twice after that (a few years elapsing between each glimpse), but the last I heard, she’d moved to the USA as a rising young executive, and married and later shed a husband, so I’d have to judge that, yes, she must have become or remained “confident and assertive.”

So saith Ed. Oh, and Markustay: you don’t need a box of kittens. Just walk up to me, smile, and say, “Take your clothes off, please,” and I probably will. So long as it doesn’t endanger (dangerously distract) others, I don’t mind in the slightest. (It’s probably better to first say, “THO? I’ve so much to ask you; mind if we stroll over into yonder park?” and then spring the disrobing request on me the moment we’re apart from others. Not that I mind admiring audiences, or need the park to be particularly private. I may hand you my garments to carry, though, which may hamper whatever you planned to do next.

Ahem.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Apr 2008 03:35:38
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  13:48:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
To crazedventurers, Ed says:
Yes, trail marks ARE (generally) consistent across Faerun <<SNIPPED>>

Thank you for the quick response.

I have a 'standard' set for the Storm Horns and Thunderpeaks, will tweak slightly for 'elsewhere', (the Lady Ranger from my campaign will be pleased when she ends up in a different wood to the one she is used to).

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Marsember seems to be in the same boat as well - do they have actual legitimate reasons to deride the government of Cormyr, or is it simply a desire to go back "to the way things were when they were independant"?

Some would say that's a legitimate reason.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  19:25:01  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message
Greetings, Lord Greenwood!

I have a simple question for you.. What is the highest mountain peak in Faerûn, and where is it located? I ask because my players are seeking even greater power, and their patron deity is going to give them an.. interesting quest.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by - IlexGarodan on 24 Apr 2008 19:26:35
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:07:13  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
"On the topic of NDAs: sometimes NDAs that no longer serve a purpose just never get lifted, but more often they are prolonged “just in case.” It’s possible that when the 4e Realms are out, we may never find out what became of Myrmeen and her child - - or we may have to wait some years while, say, someone crafting an RPGA module works up this lore as a back story, or a novelist ponders using it for a book (the Books Department having kept it “cloaked” so that it can serve this purpose).
Please note that I’m NOT saying this is what specifically will happen or that this is planned for Myrmeen and her child. I’m just trying to be clear WHY silences sometimes fall regarding specific bits of lore. We all like to learn all we can about the Realms, even though doing so can sometimes strip away delicious mystery and the sense of wonder, but leaving background lore vague gives writers, designers, editors, and even outside licensors more freedom to develop new things. [This is probably one of the reasons behind the way the 4e Realms is being handled.]

Quoted by Hooded One

Mannnnn,

I was so sincerely hoping the the NDA walls of all of our past ?'s were going to come down harder than the statues of Saddam in Iraq. This SUCKS! Especially since WOTC has stated that "too much backround material for new gamers coming in. We're going to slim it down." Up until this point, I wasn't really wishing WOTC to fail in this reset (okay, maybe a little). I was just enjoying reading the responses of the rabble up in arms. Now, I hope this all comes crashing down around their ankles. Right now, I'm too angry to be articulate right now.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  22:39:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Scribes will recall how often I've mentioned how busy Ed Greenwood is, this past year. Part of that was 4e, part of that was the death of his father (and all the family stuff following from that, which of course is still ongoing), and part of it was due to his writing.
Speaking of which, it seems that Ed's nominated for multiple Origins Awards this year. Congratulations are due to Brian James, too (as well as scribes George Krashos, Eric Boyd, and Tom Costa), for sharing one of them.

Publication, Non-Fiction:
Grand History of the Realms
Wizards of the Coast
Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood

Roleplaying Game Supplement:
Castlemourn
Margaret Weis Productions
Ed Greenwood

Ed also contributed to another FOUR nominees:

(Publication, Fiction)
Astounding Hero Tales
Hero Games
Edited by James Lowder

(Publication, Non-Fiction)
40 Years of Gen Con
Atlas Games
Robin D. Laws

Hobby Games: The 100 Best
Green Ronin
Edited by James Lowder

Kobold Quarterly magazine
Open Design
Edited by Wolfgang Baur

(Ed co-won Best Roleplaying Supplement in 1990 for the Forgotten Realms Adventures sourcebook, co-won in the same category again in 2001 for the FRCS 3rd Edition, and was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 2003)
The winners of these, the 34th annual, 2007 Origins Awards, will be announced at Origins (the convention, in Columbus, Ohio), at the awards ceremony on Saturday, June 28th, at 8pm.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Apr 2008 03:28:58
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  00:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Two quick questions!

1) Is Ed planning on attending GenCon this year even if WotC doesn't show? http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=224301

2) Any encouraging words for those of us that are disheartened by the impending end of print Realms game products? It looks bad to me...

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  03:31:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Athenon!
I think Wizards WILL be at GenCon this year, when they get organized (at the last minute, as usual). Ed will attend regardless, and will meet with fellow Candlekeep scribes if we can all arrange it, and his longtime gaming friends on the usual individual let's-eat! basis.
As for the encouraging words, let me try to get hold of Ed, who is working all hours at the library this week, to cover for a co-worker's vacation . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  03:54:07  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Hey, congratulations to Mr. Greenwood. Incidentally, Athenon's query brings up an interesing consideration.

THO, do YOU ever attend conventions in the disguise of anonymity? I doubt it's just me, but I've got no clue what you look like, your ethnicity, what have you. I mean, I've seen pictures of Mr. Greenwood, so I'd spot him in a crowd, but I'd imagine that aside from the few who know you as [insert your name here] AND the Lady Herald, no one would actually recognize you if you went.

Just curious

Edited by - GoCeraf on 25 Apr 2008 03:55:52
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  07:09:25  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Publication, Non-Fiction:
Grand History of the Realms
Wizards of the Coast
Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood

This one was very nice and useful, even if the art department screwed up several times with old art used in inappropriate places.
Now to see if they are going to let us use it...

Btw Athenon, I doubt they'll end printed Realms products... not sure where that came from?
There will definitely be a lot of FR content, such as the scenarios for the Living Forgotten Realms campaign (not exactly 'printed' material, I guess).
We are allowed to publish the blurbs for the first approved scenarios. Quite willing to shamelessly plug the Dalelands one ;)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  08:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Ed hath said:

quote:
Regarding your question: “Just how common is it for a person to adopt a new name later in life - whether because they simply didn't like their birth name, or because they somehow "earned" a new one? Are there any cultures in Faerun that have a ceremony (or something) when the person comes of age where they get to choose a new name to replace their birth name?”
Yes, many folk in the Realms who leave their home community (often as traders or apprentices) simply take whatever new name they want to (only a few places have really organized tax rolls and the means to maintain them [Cormyr’s War Wizards being the strongest of such means]).
Mercenaries and adventurers customarily take new names when they rise to fame, if they don’t like the sound of their original name or are trying to evade creditors, angry parents, et al - - or they have nicknames thrust upon them by others.
ALL newcomers to a specific locale in the Realms will suffer pressure to alter or at least augment their name if someone in the same trade is already known locally by the same or a similar name (in some guild-prominent cities and towns, this is actually law). So if you’re a swordsmith named Telver and you set up shop in a place that already has a Telver who’s a swordsmith or a general weaponsmith or even a trainer-of-the-blade, you’ll have to use some other name, or at least become “Telver the New” or “Telver the Tall” or “Telver O’ The Beard” or “Telver the Tethyrian” or some other variant of Telver.

Well met, and be ye all hale!

I've really written (or DMed) myself into a rather unpleasant corner. One of my favorite characters is an NPC wizard who has been with the Army of the Alliance fighting the Tuigan. Outside of Telflamm (the Tuigan won the Battles of the Golden Way in my campaign and besieiged Telflamm), at night he regularly attacked the Tuigan / Shou / Semphari camp while riding upon a hideous abomination (Bloodstone's Spectral Steed) and, using a permanent tongues spell, he declared himself to be "The Black God of Death," because he habitually wears black.

Having finally received all three of the FRA 1-3 adventures, his rarely removed, self-cleaning, self-mending,black cote hardie, with its high deflection bonus and armored collar, is going to cause more than a wee bit of trouble when he meets His Mightiness Hubadai Khahan, who will -- undoubtedly! -- have heard all about "The Black God of Death" and his nighttime atrocities. This will make sitting down with him for a nice cup of kumiss to undertake the negotiations which are an essential part of the adventures ... ah ... awkward, ... to say the least. ("Your Mightiness, approaching us from ten miles to the north, riding a black horse which leaves no trail, is 'The Black God of Death' who thrice tried to kill your father, the Omnipotent Yamun Khahan, Illustrious Emperor of All Peoples!")

That being the situation, Ed, how common is it to have a contingency spell upon oneself to alter (or change or whatever they call it now) one's self-appearance automatically if one is recognized by a stranger? Is such a use of contingency even possible? Can the 3E Contingent Magic feat accomplish the same thing? Changing one's name when meeting the son of a man you've repeatedly tried to kill, hundreds of whose followers have seen you (and probably still have nightmares of you and your entourage on a hideous, winged abomination) isn't exactly an efficient way to avoid crucifixion, or being feathered by a thousand arrows from hidden snipers!

Because the FRA 103 trilogy apparently takes place before the Battles of the Golden Way (whoever wins, by the time the PCs reach the edge of Ra-Khati, Hubadai should know of his father's death), it would be conceivable that Hubadai has ridden off weeks earlier to a kuriltai to assert his right to rulership, and left a tumen behind to conquer Ra-Khati and the south of Shou Lung (and anything else they can find), but I rather fancy putting the PCs at risk because of how easy it was for them to become "angels of The Black God of Death" and slaughter dozens of Tuigan each night, so your comments on contingency are eagerly sought by me, Master of the Green Wood!.

Besides all of that, just how would Cyric react to a mortal claiming to be "The Black God of Death" before his (Cyric's) competency hearing? It's entirely possible that some Tuigan and Shou and Semphari are actively worshipping my character already (praying for him to stay away and go kill someone else!). Pre-insanity, how much would that cheese off Cyric since the newly worshipped "god" is "merely" human? Inquiring DMs with complex campaigns want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  22:41:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Great question, Jamallo Kreen. Off to Ed it goes. I'm awaiting a Realmslore reply from him, but in the meantime have a question that GoCeraf posed directly to me, to deal with: "THO, do YOU ever attend conventions in the disguise of anonymity? I doubt it's just me, but I've got no clue what you look like, your ethnicity, what have you. I mean, I've seen pictures of Mr. Greenwood, so I'd spot him in a crowd, but I'd imagine that aside from the few who know you as [insert your name here] AND the Lady Herald, no one would actually recognize you if you went. Just curious"

Yes, you imagine correctly. Yes, I occasionally do attend conventions (especially GenCon [now "GenCon Indy"] when I can (as in, when my day job allows me the chance to)). That security-related day job is what keeps me anonymous. Ed spots and recognizes me immediately, of course, though I seldom "make myself known" to him. So, for the record, I am female, sorta white skinned, and older than you might think from my flirtations, but not older than I obviously have to be, considering my shared experience with Ed as DM. Of course, I AM a master of clever disguises.
So if you see someone female, purring and wrapping themselves around Ed whilst revealingly clad, it's probably not me. Sorry.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 27 Apr 2008 16:41:04
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  00:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
So, for the record, I am female, sorta white skinned, and older than you might think from my flirtations, but not older than I obviously have to be, considering my shared experience with Ed as DM. Of course, I AM a master of clever disguises.
So if you see someone female, purring and wrapping themselves around Ed whilst revealingly clad, it's probably not me. Sorry.
love,
THO

Deftly executed, sister.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  01:47:22  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. Great question, Jamallo Kreen. Off to Ed it goes. I'm awaiting a Realmslore reply from him, but in the meantime have a question that GoCeraf posed directly to me, to deal with: "THO, do YOU ever attend conventions in the disguise of anonymity? I doubt it's just me, but I've got no clue what you look like, your ethnicity, what have you. I mean, I've seen pictures of Mr. Greenwood, so I'd spot him in a crowd, but I'd imagine that aside from the few who know you as [insert your name here] AND the Lady Herald, no one would actually recognize you if you went. Just curious"

Yes, you imagine correctly. Yes, I occasionally do attend conventions (especially GenCon [now "GenCon Indy"] when I can (as in, when my day job allows me the chance to). That security-related day job is what keeps my anonymous. Ed spots and recognizes me immediately, of course, though I seldom "make myself known" to him. So, for the record, I am female, sorta white skinned, and older than you might think from my flirtations, but not older than I obviously have to be, considering my shared experience with Ed as DM. Of course, I AM a master of clever disguises.
love,
THO

Heh heh, but that female might be a clever distraction, as well.

Regardless (and please, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way), I never figured you were an early-twenty-something lady. This, of course, flowed more from your dry wit and articulate nature than from thinking your flirtatious tendency a feint.

And as per your claim to disguise mastery...

If a kindly, pretty lady ever points Mr. Greenwood out to me at a convention, and then disappears into the shadows with a purr and chaste laugh, I'll be guessing.

All the best

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  05:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I have been true to my word in "The Author's Forum" and today ordered anthologies of fiction for Wraith: the Oblivion, Mage: the Ascension, Warhammer, etc., most containing at least story written by "a Realms writer." Which brings to mind a big question: does Ed write for game settings published by GW, White Wolf, etc. or is he hog-tied by contractual obligations to TSR and WotC?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  05:49:14  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Greetings all,

I love the passion with which everbody speaks around here.
I have a question about a place in the Elven Court. May we please have
information on the Keening Wood? A mention is given in FoMD and I would like to know
about the area and the back story about why there are several banshee all in the same area.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  06:36:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have been true to my word in "The Author's Forum" and today ordered anthologies of fiction for Wraith: the Oblivion, Mage: the Ascension, Warhammer, etc., most containing at least story written by "a Realms writer." Which brings to mind a big question: does Ed write for game settings published by GW, White Wolf, etc. or is he hog-tied by contractual obligations to TSR and WotC?
No doubt Ed will have a more comprehensive answer coming. However, I will note that Ed has indeed written fiction for other settings published by companies other than TSR or WotC. One that immediately springs to mind is his contribution to the "Children of the Rune"* anthology published by Malhavoc Press for their Monte Cook’s Arcana Unearthed: The Land of the Diamond Throne setting. And he's discussed a few others previously in his replies here.

* I'll note also that a number of other FR authors also contributed to that anthology, namely:- Richard Lee Byers, Bruce Cordell, Jeff Grubb, and Thomas M. Reid.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Apr 2008 06:38:34
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  15:49:04  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Well, that does imply you would have your arms conventiently free to wrap around someone else
Not that I'll likely hava a chance to attend Gencon Indy soon...
I guess the chances of you or Ed ever attending a European convention is probably rather remote?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  18:46:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Greetings all,

I love the passion with which everbody speaks around here.
I have a question about a place in the Elven Court. May we please have
information on the Keening Wood? A mention is given in FoMD and I would like to know
about the area and the back story about why there are several banshee all in the same area.

It's got really good acoustics.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  03:38:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I have another Realmslore reply to share with all scribes from Ed of the Greenwood, this one a response to GoCeraf’s query: “Compared to ordinary cats, how do Tressym behave? Are they inclined to be playful or more withdrawn? Additionally, given their intelligence, how well do those found near civilization get along with their neighbors? Do they have the same tendencies as normal cats (painstakingly cleaning themselves, sleeping a lot, etc.)? Anything else you could say would be appreciated.
All the best.”
Ed replies:

Hi! Tressym tend to be more inquisitive, more whimsical, and yet more reasoning than ordinary cats (when I say “yet more reasoning,” I mean that they will study situations, spot most traps or creatures likely to be luring them into something, and avoid being drawn in; their curiosity or whimsy won’t overrule their judgement and wariness). Tressym will go off by themselves to think hard about complicated situations, plan rescues or forays into known danger, and will stalk and skulk with absolute silence when they have to, or when they don’t want to be seen by neighbours (e.g. when doing something they know will be seen as suspicious, such as carrying a distinctive magic item or weapon).
They tend to avoid conflict with neighbours or intruders rather than staying to defend a lair or area, but will strike fiercely if such behaviour is misinterpreted as weakness and therefore carte blanche for bullying or aggressiveness. They tend to be sly winkers rather than “difficult,” standoffish, or “superior” in their dealings with other creatures. And yes, they do clean themselves and sleep a lot, especially when they can bake in the sun. However, being dirty or wet doesn’t bother tressym as much as it does most ordinary cats.
Tressym are intelligent enough to see the needs, wants, and habits of intruders settling in to become neighbours, and shift their own locations or habits to avoid conflict (for instance, if a human arrives and cuts down the favourite tree of a tressym, it will either move to find another or if it wants to remain in the spot, will simply adopt the roof of the human’s newbuilt homestead as its new perch).
Tressym hate the smell of boiled or burnt cabbage, and the squawking of many birds, and will remove themselves from the former and seek to drive off the latter (they are quite intelligent enough to lure or lead a flock of persistent or dangerous birds into the reach of predators who will devour or destroy such a flock).
Tressym understand using streams for navigation, and the habits of most woodland creatures, and so can anticipate where predators will roam, food prey can be found, and so on.
Tressym can become as entranced with particular beings just as strongly as “lovelorn” humans can, and will often follow and spy on such individuals for months or even years, forming friendships and pet-master-like attachments if the individual responds to them with friendliness.

So saith Ed, creator of the tressym. (None of his real-life cats or dogs had wings that I ever saw, but . . .)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  05:11:47  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Can you tell us where some large populations of Tressyms can be found?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  06:08:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO,

Can you tell us where some large populations of Tressyms can be found?

Thanks

Well, from the MC sheet in the 2E boxed set:

quote:
Tressym are found on occasion in Eveningstar's streets and trees. Northern Cormyr is the only place where they seem to breed and gather, although individual tressym, both wild and domesticated, may be found all over the temperate Realms.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  06:24:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
The 'Tressym' entry in Haunted Halls of Eveningstar also notes that tressym are, on occasion, kept as "loose" pets -- villagers do in fact tend toward feeding them, and sometimes seek to prevent much of the damage they cause to the local surroundings.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  06:36:23  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Thank you for the information. It's definitely informative.

Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  13:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
A hypothetical question for Ed,

Since the game products in print for the Realms will soon be ceasing... Have you ever kicked around the idea of doing something similar to what Margaret Weis Productions did with Dragonlance in the 3E era (assuming WotC was interested in licensing you the right to produce FR products)? I would love to see what kind of things you could do given more creative freedom with the Realms!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000