Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cormyr: Places Not On The Map

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 04:58:14
Here you'll find a collection of obscure locations in Cormyr, such as those found in novels, adventures and Dragon/Dungeon magazine articles.

The idea is to supplement information found in primary Cormyr sourcebooks (such as Volo's Guide to Cormyr) so that we can have a full accounting of the many sites, buildings and places that can be found in the Forest Kingdom.

If you know of an out of the way location in Cormyr that's mentioned in published Realmslore, please mention it here (along with a source name and page number, or web address if an online source) so it can be added to this collection.

Thank you.

JUMP TO A LETTER:
C, G, H, L, M, S, T,

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 12 Dec 2014 : 07:11:56
Added in December:

12/11/2014: The Lost Palace of Esparin
12/14/2014: Edits. Gyrlondposts, Heldul's Rest.
12/16/2014: Stonewatch.
12/17/2014: Castle Irlingstar. Also, I revised the opening post to better describe what I'm after for this scroll.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 12 Dec 2014 : 07:09:29
Thank you sir!

I added the lost palace, but only with the link you provided. I'll wait on adding in the reference to "The Sword Never Sleeps" until I know for sure the page(s) is correct.
xaeyruudh Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 15:08:32
I don't have The Sword Never Sleeps, but the FR Wiki suggests pages 132 and 175 for mentions of the palace. Perhaps someone with the novel at hand could confirm.

There's also this post from Ed, which mentions the palace.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 07:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

The Lost Palace of Esparin? The Knights of Myth Drannor found their way into it in Ed's novel The Sword Never Sleeps.

By any chance do you have a page reference? All of my books are packed away at the moment.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 16 Nov 2014 : 20:11:17
11/2/2014: Margrath's Rest
11/5/2014: Castle Stone, Thundarlun, Tethgard, Havenmere
11/16/2014: Stag Well
Markustay Posted - 07 Nov 2014 : 14:20:03
The were described as BOTH, depending on what you read, which is actually good, because it leaves a LOT of elbow-room for fixing certain things. Obviously, no-one knew 'the whole truth' of things.

See the Stonelands booklet* of Elminster's Ecologies - I think in just that one source it describes them both ways (and contradicts itself).

Given what the Ghazneths were, and that that same series then off-handed mentioned 'the other ones' as being destroyed means we have canon right there of two entirely separate groups that were placed in stasis.

And this really belonged in the other thread, NOT here.

*Speaking of which, there is an 'abandoned keep' mentioned in the introduction to that source, that I placed on my Stonelands map - a map that was later used as a reference by Brian James for the official (4e) Cormyr one (which does indeed include that keep on the edge of the High Moors in the Stonelands).
Gary Dallison Posted - 07 Nov 2014 : 13:52:41
I have just discovered after going through some old 1e stuff that the Lords Who Sleep were actually good guys. Then they suddenly seemed to have changed into bad guys.

Must not rant about novels. Must not rant about novels.

Markustay Posted - 07 Nov 2014 : 13:11:23
Although splitting them up using that typo - like how I did in my explanation above - could be a good way to fix things. Have several groups of varying ability and usefulness (depending on the situation). The 'Storm heralds' could just be one particular group, probably located in the Stormhorns.

And also NO-ONE (except maybe the royal wizard) would know about all of them. So not only would they be a 'state secret', but no-one would now the whole truth of them. Thus, even if someone (like a Ghazneth) were to find and destroy them... they would think that was the end of it, even though it wasn't.

In fact, some of them could possibly even be kings. Its against Cormyrian lore to resurrect a king (I think) to still be king, but what if certain ones could be brought back as sleeping swords? That way the lineages wouldn't get disrupted, because officially they would still be 'dead'. Wheels-within-wheels and 'state secrets' is what Cormyr is all about.

And yes... thats me desperately wanting to see Azoun one last time.

And Alusair... ah lass... we hardly knew yea.
George Krashos Posted - 07 Nov 2014 : 12:51:45
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Whats the Sleeping Sword when its at home, any relation to the Lords who Sleep or the Storm Heralds.

The Sleeping Sword was the Lords who Sleep.

The reference to Storm Heralds is actually a typo and should be Sword Heralds as noted in VGtC.

-- George Krashos
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 19:25:02
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Blister has appeared on two maps. One of the ones in Dungeon #88 itself and in Dale Henson's Netheril set.

Good catch on the Netheril set. I'd always assumed Blister was a creation for Dungeon #88.

Though that adventure details Blister in detail I'm still going to include it here because the Netheril set is not something everyone has, nor the adventure, and I want point people to obscure Cormyr lore like this, so that what happened with dazzler just now happens with others as well.
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 16:29:00
What an excellent dragon issue, crammed with lore that i never knew about.

Although the number of Netherese ruins in Cormyr may present an issue since that land was technically ruled by the Purple Dragon. Maybe they hid among the trees out of his notice like the elves did.
hashimashadoo Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 16:26:48
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

There's also the fortress of Blister from Dingeon #88.

So much to do, so little time. ;)

Blister has appeared on two maps. One of the ones in Dungeon #88 itself and in Dale Henson's Netheril set.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 16:07:19
There's also the fortress of Blister from Dingeon #88.

So much to do, so little time. ;)
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 15:17:46
Whats the Sleeping Sword when its at home, any relation to the Lords who Sleep or the Storm Heralds.
Markustay Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 15:08:22
They REALLY need to stop shoe-horning EVERYTHING into that tiny little spot!

The problem with writers is that they just look at the map and think, "Hey! This here is a great spot to plunk-down some stuff! Right on the border of two powerful, contentious nations in the center of everything!"

Problem is... they think all the other writers aren't as clever as them.... and they are. They think alike.
hashimashadoo Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 10:15:47
Winterhaven from the Keep on the Shadowfell FR conversion. On the East Way deep in the Thunder Peaks, precariously close to the border with Sembia.

Similarly, Keegan's Keep from the same document which is about a mile NNE of Winterhaven.
hashimashadoo Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 09:59:33
The Laughing Head from Dungeon #88. Supposedly a notorious landmark locally. Twenty eight miles north of Arabel, in a thicket of trees not far west of the Moonsea Ride in the foothills of the Stormhorns.
George Krashos Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 03:00:11
One of the biggest crimes in Realms fiction of all time was Troy Denning destroying the Sleeping Sword in the space of two hasty paragraphs.

-- George Krashos
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 23:44:14
In one of Ed's replies to my questions he confirmed that Cormyr's stasis activities are not confined to just the Warriors Crypt.

I will get to adding the places you've all listed soon. Thanks to everyone for your contributions.
Markustay Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 19:50:48
Its mentioned a few times, in a few places, and the references are odd, at best (sometimes its 'pro' Cormyr, sometimes not). Plus, at least a few of them were 'plundered' in the Cormyr series.

The way I reasoned that all out - there are MANY. In times long past this was a more common thing to do, and I have a feeling it was started by the Elves (because the first of them seem to contain elves - or at least one elf). Perhaps it was the elves teaching some magic-users of early Cormyr (or just Amadehast{sp?}) how to 'contain threats' and possibly save them for future defense (sounds like a convoluted plan elves would come up with). They've done similar things, in regards to their cities, fellow elves, the demonfey, etc.

So basically, in Cormyr's early years, when some 'threat to the Realm' arose, they would take that person (willing or unwilling) and lock them away in one of these 'stasis chambers', to be woken-up at some future time of need. I theorize there were probably a LOT more unwilling then willing, but I think the bottom line is that they all loved Cormyr, in their own way (even if it was a greedy love). Thus, you wait until Cormyr itself is threatened to its core, and the reawaken these 'greatest threats' as assets, because however they personally feel, they would defend Cormyr from outsiders.

They (the war Wizards) probably had some sort of ranking for them as well, with a '1st line of defense' - those that allowed themselves to be locked-away voluntarily (perhaps some of Cormyr's greatest warriors, who no longer had wars to fight in their own time). Then came the 'powerful but still loyal to Cormyr' (if not the crown), and would defend their homeland, even if it was self-serving (like would-be usurpers). Lastly, the 3rd grouping would be the 'doomsday weapon' - that last group of people WAY to powerful and/or crazy to trust, but if Cormyr had almost fallen, then they could at least be used as a type of vengeance (if we can't have it, NO ONE CAN!)

And thats how I personally reasoned it all out. The last group are the ones that became the ghazneth (and others - 'those who sleep' - their tombs were mentioned as destroyed, so they could have been members of either or both other groups). I also like to think that at least some - if not all - the '1st line' are still around, hidden somewhere, and that it was the '2nd-stringers' who were destroyed by the ghazneths. Ed said there were still some 'sleepers' left.

Like I said, thats my home-brewing for the inconsistencies. Just throwing it out there.
xaeyruudh Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 19:11:16
Also the Warrior's Crypt is mentioned on p 10 of the same book (Cormyr, #9410). Here its location is unknown and it's apparently referring to a singular warrior. p 296 of the 3e FRCS lists a Warriors' Crypt as being controlled by the Zhentarim. I suspect they're meant to be the same place, but I don't remember seeing it/them on a map.

Edit: In the Stonelands, so not technically Cormyr, but they tried to patrol it as if it was theirs.
xaeyruudh Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 18:02:39
Jeremy's fault, for inspiring me to go indexing my Cormyr sources.
Markustay Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 17:58:51
Great Catch, xaeyruudh!

I never noticed that!
xaeyruudh Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 15:31:35
Not sure if Noktil has appeared on any official maps... it's in the 2e Cormyr book (p 28-29) but not on the map that came with it.
Eilserus Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 14:51:16
The Lost Palace of Esparin? The Knights of Myth Drannor found their way into it in Ed's novel The Sword Never Sleeps.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 08:33:42
Thank you, sir.

Markustay Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 15:12:45
Castle Stone from the short story A Matter of Thorns by James M. Ward in Realms of Infamy.
quote:
"It was a meaningless little castle, perched on a high hill overlooking an insignificant spur of the Immerflow River, protecting nothing. The military minds of neighboring Cormyr didn't consider the keep—known as Castle Stone—worth the troops it would take to occupy, so they left it alone and labeled it strategically useless. The sixty-odd souls who lived in the village that squatted around the castle walls thought otherwise. They were fiercely proud that Castle Stone had never been defeated in battle. Small wonder: the granite towers and oaken gate had never been attacked."

I've placed it in that vale (on older maps) that appears just above the Hullack Forest and the Thunderpeaks just north of it. Technically 'in Cormyr', but having about the same status as the Stonelands or the Tunlands (claimed, but not really exerting any authority over).

Thundarlun - a tiny village on the very edge of Cormyr, where the Hullack Forest meets the Thunder Gap. Its primary purpose is as a border-gaurd for the gap passage. From Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood. Although mostly destroyed in that novel, I would expect it to have been quickly rebuilt (Cormyr does NOT leave its borders undefended).

Tethgard - Ruins of a past realm within the Hullack Forest, related to the Netherese and pre-dating Cormyr. The site itself appeared briefly in Crown of Fire, and Ed's full response as to its lore can be found HERE.

I've already mentioned Havenmere in another thread.

There are a couple of tiny villages that were burned to the ground in a Dungeon (#80) adventure, that I am still waiting for a reply on from Ed.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 06:35:26
Z
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 06:29:52
Y
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 06:27:55
X

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000