Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  03:51:39  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi again, Ed and Lovely Lady THO,
I bumped into quite another sort of Realms fan in another store today (hairy, bearded guy with "tough guy" tattoos), and am posting this lore question for him:
If someone ends up "on the run" from the law in Amn, and flees to Waterdeep, or Cormyr, or Sembia, do any of those places have "agreements" with Amn that mean the running person is automatically "in trouble with the law" and subject to immediate arrest from local lawkeepers, the moment they get news from Amn (and how soon and how ungarbled and/or detailed would that "news" be?)?
I talked to his guy for a little while, and we're both well aware that bounty hunters or others from Amn could of course follow the running person and try to take revenge or capture him - - but if the running person hasn't offended against rulers back in Amn, would "the law" in any of those three places give an official hoot about the runner's alleged crimes committed in Amn?
Thanks,
Blueblade
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  14:57:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'm thinking, from campaign play with Ed as DM, that they wouldn't, but will of course whisk this query off to Ed for his definitive answer.
In the meantime, I have a question for all scribes: what region of the Realms is the least well-detailed, right now, but most needs better detailing?
Obviously every gamer may arrive at a different answer to this, due to the location and style of play in their campaign, but I'm hoping to provide Ed with a fairly clear picture of the "most gaping holes" in the published Realms.
Sometimes it's hard for both Ed and we his players to see these holes, because of OUR campaign locations and style of play.
Thanks, and love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  15:17:01  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
In the meantime, I have a question for all scribes: what region of the Realms is the least well-detailed, right now, but most needs better detailing?

Lantan comes to mind (least well-detailed), but Sembia could be a better choice (needs better detailing).
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  15:34:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Well, the Vast, the Dragon Coast and Western Heartlands could use some information on the regions in general, there are information on several cities, but much of this dates back to Forgotten Realms Adventures book. In addition the dynamics of the regions as a whole does get lost a little bit when only individual settlements are covered. The Volo guides are great, but work best in combination with other books that takes a larger view. As these regions are located strategically in the middle of more covered regions it would be interesting to see how the relationship with these states and areas work to get a whole picture. The same goes for the Vilhon, even if it has had some coverage.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:03:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'd still like a Moonshae update since most of the major Moonshae material was 1e or early 2e.

An update to Evermeet would be good since a lot has changed there since the 2e sourcebook.

My major pick though would be the Nel Isles. I know there's a little lore in one of the Volo's Guides but I'd like more. :)

Others, I know, for years now, have been clammering for updates on the other continents like Maztica/Zakhara/Kara-tur. I can't count the number of people who have asked, on many message boards, for updates on those three continents.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:28:01  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, the Vast, the Dragon Coast and Western Heartlands could use some information on the regions in general, there are information on several cities, but much of this dates back to Forgotten Realms Adventures book. In addition the dynamics of the regions as a whole does get lost a little bit when only individual settlements are covered. ...

As these regions are located strategically in the middle of more covered regions it would be interesting to see how the relationship with these states and areas work to get a whole picture. The same goes for the Vilhon, even if it has had some coverage.

Yeah, that's a good answer.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
Lantan is an area that fascinates me and yet I have seen maddeningly little written about it. Chult has been given little attention since 2ed, I would really love to see some new info on it. Also The Golden Water would be a good candidate.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:49:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I think what I said last time would still be my choice. I'd have to dig that reply out of the archives though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
lot of the areas in the southen part really ... Lantan, Haluaa, Golden Waters ... might even say east/southeasten part of Sea of the stars, not to mention futher than Faerūn

the question wasn't which area we would rather see updated ... but which area that have been updated the least

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

I'm thinking, from campaign play with Ed as DM, that they wouldn't, but will of course whisk this query off to Ed for his definitive answer.
Obviously every gamer may arrive at a different answer to this, due to the location and style of play in their campaign, but I'm hoping to provide Ed with a fairly clear picture of the "most gaping holes" in the published Realms.
Sometimes it's hard for both Ed and we his players to see these holes, because of OUR campaign locations and style of play.
Thanks, and love to all,
THO

The Unapprocheable East, IMO: Thesk, the Great Dale and Rashemen, more than the others...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  18:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Well, I will say that I think sometimes lack of detail can be a good thing. However, I will say I wouldn't mind seeing more information on places like Chult, Tashalar, the Shaar, the Plains of Purple Dust, the Lake of Steam region, the Ride (near Moonsea) and all the little "in-between" places that have been neglected over the years.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  18:58:38  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
the South eastern regions of Fearun could use some more attention. I know the shining south covers some of this, but more lore and detail would be great
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  21:26:16  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message
My choice is the Western Heartlands, even though a few parts of it got some attention.

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  21:48:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Lantan!!!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  22:02:27  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
The question asked by the lady is which region is the LEAST well-detailed so perhaps we should just answer that question and hope the lore provided is useful to all.

Lantan seems to fit the question asked without it being a remote region and thus probably useful in many of our personal campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  22:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
VELDORN

Come on, tons of igglies and googlies live there, and a vampire! Not many of those in Realms...

Edit: Plus, information pertaining to this area (besides from a novel point of view that I know we have coming out by end year) would be excellent considering there is a certain Compendium Article that will be coming out soon that involves this area, and would love to see more information about it for players who choose to use this...article...that is coming out :D

I think even you would enjoy THO, highly unique...or so I'm told.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 30 Aug 2007 22:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  03:20:37  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
THO, does this question concerns the Realms in 1375 or in 1475* ?

* For those who don't know, Google "orc king spoiler"

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 Aug 2007 03:21:51
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  03:40:18  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Wow. I really have to say that that is a tough question, Lady THO. I have a hard time (at present) keeping up with all of the new novels and sourcebooks that come out. If you mean overall, including 1st and 2nd Edition lore, I'd have to say the Moonshaes and the Greycloak Hills/Evereska also. But I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more on Evermeet if someone wanted to have a seat by the fireside and allow me to buy them a tankard of the House Best.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:10:59  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Wow Skeptic... I really hope this "Future of the Realms", as presented by this spoiler review of Orc King, is just some hoax.

Master of the Greenwood, Dear Lady Hooded: let me just say that I am terrified if this is what await the Realms. Not "both terrified and excited," no, just darn plain terrified.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:16:47  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
no, just darn plain terrified.

Like I said in another thread, if they are going this way, we'll end up with new Realms* that can be fun to play with, but no more the Realms we have known and loved.

*Some years ago I ran a "Future realms" campaign where the majority of the gods have died because the humans quit them. It was a kind of post-apocalyptic setting (the Moonsea was completly poisoned due to Talona's death, etc.) and it was quite fun for a short campaign, but it was not the Realms.

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 Aug 2007 04:21:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:23:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
no, just darn plain terrified.

Like I said in another thread, if they are going this way, we'll end up with new Realms* that can be fun to play with, but no more the Realms we have known and loved.

*Some years ago I ran a "Future realms" campaign where the majority of the gods have died because the humans forgot quit them. It was a kind of post-apocalyptic setting (the Moonsea was completly poisoned due to Talona's death, etc.) and it was quite fun for a short campaign, but it was not the Realms.

It won't be a Realms I want anything to do with. If these changes are truth, then it's been fun but I'll wash my hands of all my projects here on Keep and walk away from all FR sites.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm exhausted with the seven years worth of changes that I've not enjoyed and which is turning the Realms into a setting that I don't want to DM in, play in, or even care to keep track of.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:25:15  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm exhausted with the seven years worth of changes that I've not enjoyed and which is turning the Realms into a setting that I don't want to DM in, play in, or even care to keep track of.

You know that WoTC won't go in your basement to prevent you to play (under any D&D edition or any other RPG) at any point of the FR timeline, no ?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:32:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

You know that WoTC won't go in your basement to prevent you to play (under any D&D edition or any other RPG) at any point of the FR timeline, no ?

You forget that some of us also work on fan material that we prefer to base on canon. Sigh. And on the same token, many DM's also prefer to DM using canon FR. So, that line you said above is a bit misplaced.

However, this debate doesn't belong in Ed's scroll and I'm done with it.

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Aug 2007 04:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  04:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:

I wish I hadn't done that...

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  05:03:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

However, this debate doesn't belong in Ed's scroll and I'm done with it.
I agree.

In fact, let me just underline this particular point, and re-direct all future discussion of this issue, to this scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  14:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Kuje, if the WotC-published Realms does jump more then ten years ahead in time, won't that HELP you and everyone else who wants to play or write fanfic or adventures without RSEs crashing through them? The eye of the storm passes, leaving you room to play in the calm left behind? I'm sure we can still prevail on Ed to answer lore queries and fill in the gaps in The Missing Years, or whatever they turn out to be (remember, we don't yet know if the whole Realms is making the jump, or just RAS's novels, or just all Realms novels).
However, I really arrived here not to talk about this time-shift thing, but to ask Ed and THO a question about Lantan: how much of an effect do you see Lantanna "tech" devices having on daily life in the Sword Coast? Are they going to stay small-scale (self-closing hinges, self-refilling oil lanterns) or get bigger (mechanical threshers, fast and precise large-scale saws, etc.)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  14:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade
Specifically the sort of "fuzzy frontier" along the seacoast where Cormyr and Sembia meet. How do both realms police or patrol this border? Obvious military presence (checkpoints? border tolls?) or covert (War Wizard on the Cormyrean side) surveillance? Or ...?
You have the opening chapters of Crown of Fire?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  15:29:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

THO

The areas I'd feel are in most need of an update would be (in no specific order): The Moonshae Isles, the Dragon Coast, and Murghom/Semphar.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  15:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
As many others, I vote for Lantan. And besides that, Sembia, Murghom and the Bloodstone Lands should get more attention.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  17:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message
Lantan is really worth of a more detailed description of land and history, so I vote for Lantan, too.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000