Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  20:56:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again.
Snowblood, re. this: "Dear Ed & Lady THO, Who is the mysterious wizard living on the edge of the Flooded Forest??? How did the Forest end up this way? Are there any Elven ruins within its swampy embrace?"
I can start to answer you, thus:
1. NDA
2. Partially NDA.
3. Yes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  21:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
My sources (heh-heh) tell me Ed was seen at Ad Astra talking to Gabrielle Harbowy, of Dragon Moon Press. Any future projects coming out of this, that can be talked about, yet?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  00:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Hello! I found this from August 27, 2006. Sadly, I couldn't have it do the Quote part, though. If any mod can fix this (should it be useful), then please do so.

quote:
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed answers The Sage, re. this: “I'm more than a little hesitant to add to my own backlog of questions for Ed to answer ... but a discussion with a fellow scribe over an aspect in another setting got me thinking about how this aspect is reflected in the Realms. It's about inbreeding, specifically... among the many royal families -- human and demihuman -- and/or long established noble families across the Realms. I know about instances of inbreeding in published Realms material already, for example... like that which is somewhat common among long isolated Underdark races, as well as the inbreeding that occurs among the ruling class of the Gugari people in the Hordelands. There are slight references in other sources... mostly with regard to noble families looking to keep favorable traits within their own family, but I'm looking more for Ed's personal take here and how he's handled the concept in his home Realms campaign, as well as any additional thoughts and/or lore he'd like to sure with me. I realize this can be a sensitive subject, and if you feel it's inappropriate to answer here, I'll understand if you do not wish to elaborate. However, I'm intrigued by this somewhat, and I'd like to learn a little more about how such an aspect is realised in the Realms.”
Ed replies:

No, no, nothing is inappropriate to discuss. After all, you’re talking to a man who’s discussed the visual success of her breast augmentation with a perfect stranger at a LIBRARIAN’S convention, very much in public. (She declined my offer of the taste test, but she was laughing as she did it.) Ahem. Inbreeding: as royalty sets the laws in almost every place in the Realms that has royalty (except in a few city-states, not yet detailed, where priesthoods have strong influences), there’s nothing illegal about inbreeding. It’s rare, and when it does happen is usually mothers marrying sons because the father (the king) has been slain, and the mother wants THAT son (often a bastard) to rule, or fathers (kings) marrying daughters. Sometimes brothers hitch up with sisters - - and uncle/niece and aunt/nephew pairings are quite common and aren’t even thought of (in the Realms) as inbreeding.
Yes, there are inevitable genetic problems. When they become obvious is usually when rules start to get forced into place (and the drooling idiots get locked up and never spoken of again, or killed in “accidents” if they don’t have to be kept around for possible backup breeding purposes).
It’s important to remember that many of the Realms deities encourage “sex for fun” (or even “sex for religious rapture”) and their priests have magical and pharmaceutical meals of preventing contraception, so “it’s only incest if the female partner gets pregnant.” This, by the way, usually means family members satisfy their curiosity and indulge feelings of mutual affection, and then go looking for less “safe and familiar” but far more exciting partners, elsewhere.
What the Realms DOES have, in most places, is laws against bringing rulers back from the dead umpteen times, or ruling as undead. Sometimes a raising done quickly, after battle, can be passed off as “healing,” but otherwise it’s usually “death is final, for crowned heads” (to avoid factions bringing back centuries-worth of kings as pretenders and tearing kingdoms apart in endless civil wars).

So saith Ed. Who seems to own an adequate supply of incest repellent in real life, I might add.
love to all,
THO

Mod Edit: QUOTE function applied.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - The Sage on 23 May 2010 01:25:15
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  01:25:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's one of the replies I found. There's a few others also. I'll see what I can dig up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  02:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you for adjusting it for me, Sage. I appreciate it.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  03:34:37  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
My Thanks M'Lady.........now any chance of working around that partial NDA or revealing what kinds of ruins are within the Soggy Bottom?

"I can start to answer you, thus:
1. NDA
2. Partially NDA.
3. Yes.
love,
THO"

PS love ya work.....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  03:45:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I finished reading Shadows of the Avatar Trilogy. Outstanding novels if I must say.

Did Ed ever want to write a another series on the Ranger's Three?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  04:29:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
He did indeed. However, the powers that were in publishing at the time had other ideas.
Me, I agree with Ed's plans: getting the Rangers Three away from Elminster and Shadowdale and Storm, and into adventures on their own.
A young, agile, but green trio undertaking missions and "learning on the job" (with the inevitable screwups and pratfalls that would ensue) would have made for some very entertaining novels...and it's these close-focus-on-character, LOW-power protagonists, far from Realms Shaking Events as storyline tales that I think Ed excells at, and that would have built up a library of enjoyable, eminently re-readable Realms books that TSR and then WotC could have kept in print for years.
Rather than going for "gods onstage" books and a parade of into-print, then-swiftly-back-out again, and a stable of everchanging authors to keep payouts low rather than to build six or seven writers into firm, ongoing fan favourites . . .
But enough. We can all play the "If I Ran WotC" game, and what's done is done. Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  05:33:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

He did indeed. However, the powers that were in publishing at the time had other ideas.
Me, I agree with Ed's plans: getting the Rangers Three away from Elminster and Shadowdale and Storm, and into adventures on their own.
A young, agile, but green trio undertaking missions and "learning on the job" (with the inevitable screwups and pratfalls that would ensue) would have made for some very entertaining novels...and it's these close-focus-on-character, LOW-power protagonists, far from Realms Shaking Events as storyline tales that I think Ed excells at, and that would have built up a library of enjoyable, eminently re-readable Realms books that TSR and then WotC could have kept in print for years.
Rather than going for "gods onstage" books and a parade of into-print, then-swiftly-back-out again, and a stable of everchanging authors to keep payouts low rather than to build six or seven writers into firm, ongoing fan favourites . . .
But enough. We can all play the "If I Ran WotC" game, and what's done is done. Sigh.
love to all,
THO

So true, THO, so true.

In the last Novel, there was a scene where Mystra and Azuth were 'discussing' Shar's(Sharantyr the Knight of Myth Drannor, not the Goddess Shar!) first child belonging to Azuth. What ever happened to that child.

I figure it's NDA, yet it doesn't hurt to ask.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 May 2010 07:24:24
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  07:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
So I have a feeling there is a story in the Undermountain map, maybe a Realms one maybe a real life one.

I was just looking at the box set maps versus the atlas ones. As I was looking for stairways leading from the 1st level to the 2nd level I noticed a few odd icons on the atlas map. Looking them up on the key it listed them as guards. Then I noticed a great deal of the northern map of the first floor are littered with them and rubble that wasn't on the box set map. None of the rooms that have guards have descriptions in the box set.

I know large amounts of material is often cut out of products. Am I witnessing something of that sorts? Or was there an interesting change to Undermountain between the two maps times? What sort of guards were these? Maybe Palace guards?

Well I hope Ed or our Saucy Lady can shed some light on this. Thanks once again.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  10:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Thanks much for being patient with my questions... And thanks for the insight, Lady THO. :)

quote:
Now, to Zandilar and Zireael, re. the larger issue of incest: partners contemplating such relationships in the Realms will be fully aware of how it might harm friendships and family relationships, the complications it might cause regarding inheritances, and so on. The Obarskyrs, most nobles, and many other Cormyreans have access to magical contraception, and almost all Cormyreans (and Dalefolk, and Sembians, and...) to herbal contraception. Some want to use it, some don't (and remember, some faiths in the Realms have a very different position on incest than the Judeo-Christian one).

Sharess being the one that springs to my mind immediately. If it's pleasurable, it's good, right? :)

quote:
This is something Ed and I have talked about, too, and he has made it very clear that the female Obarskyrs (some of whom married into the clan, of course, rather than being born into it) would behave very differently if contraception wasn't available. Also, the existence of magical contraception has saved many noble women from rape, because it takes away the danger of it being done cold-bloodedly to get a tie to a family's inheritance or wealth.

I'd be surprised if there weren't counter-agents to contraceptives, whether other herbs or magical spells available for the really determined. Are there such things in the Realms? Or is my supposition wrong here?

Also, I doubt the child of a rape would gain the father/mother any leeway with the family of the woman/man so treated. Illegitimate is illegitimate, no matter the circumstances of conception, and especially so in the case of a rape. (That might sound cold, since it's hardly the fault of the child that it came to be in such a situation, but nobles can be very callous and self-centred like that (Yes, as always, there are exceptions, and it's depends, and other such quibbles apply).)

quote:

Me, I'm more in the Alusair camp.

I would be too, if I could be. My low self-esteem, and other things, get in the way more often than not. Ah, but I shouldn't belly ache about it here.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  10:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
<snip>

quote:
This is something Ed and I have talked about, too, and he has made it very clear that the female Obarskyrs (some of whom married into the clan, of course, rather than being born into it) would behave very differently if contraception wasn't available. Also, the existence of magical contraception has saved many noble women from rape, because it takes away the danger of it being done cold-bloodedly to get a tie to a family's inheritance or wealth.

I'd be surprised if there weren't counter-agents to contraceptives, whether other herbs or magical spells available for the really determined. Are there such things in the Realms? Or is my supposition wrong here?

Also, I doubt the child of a rape would gain the father/mother any leeway with the family of the woman/man so treated. Illegitimate is illegitimate, no matter the circumstances of conception, and especially so in the case of a rape. (That might sound cold, since it's hardly the fault of the child that it came to be in such a situation, but nobles can be very callous and self-centred like that (Yes, as always, there are exceptions, and it's depends, and other such quibbles apply).)

<snip>

I seem to remember elves (not necessarily drow) view these matters a bit differently. I suppose drow especially have less social restraints, i.e. homosexuals are not persecuted among them (remember Quenthel and Danifae from WotSQ?)

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  10:42:19  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
So, bearing all this in mind, how common is temple prostitution? I imagine that it's fairly common, and is of two varieties: 1)The faiths which encourage sexual rapture (the word ecstasy DOES mean 'out of stasis') who have willing, eager, and giving priests and priestesses (in this category I can easily see Sune, Hanali, Chaumtea, Kelemvor, Eldath, and Lliira) and 2) Those faiths which capitalize on sexual excess (I imagine Shar and Loviatar's churches to be the biggest of these) to blackmail/tempt/dominate parishioners in order to further temple goals. Is this an accurate view?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  16:33:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Knight of the Gate, it is indeed very common, and your view is accurate. I would of course add Sharess to your first list of faiths.
However, this doesn't mean that temples usually run overt brothels, or try to compete with (or stamp out) free-enterprise prostitution. Sex is used in rituals in specific (narrow) ways, for worship of the deity and "improvement of self to make the self a better servant of the deity as well as more pleasing to the deity and therefore more favored by the deity."
A lot of out-in-the-streets prostitution, as in the real world, is a job (economic necessity), and is sought out to slake lusts and/or just to get some companionship (i.e. banish loneliness). [It's that last aspect that real-world crusaders against the "evil of prostitution" usually overlook, discount, or are unaware-of; the huge amount of buying sex that's really buying intimacy/banishing loneliness. Of course, for some, participation in faith is primarily for the very same reason.]
YMMV, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Brimstone, I just got a reply back from Ed re. Sharantyr's first child.
Here it is:

Heh. That is indeed heavily NDA'd. Sorry. Nice to know scribes are reading closely and pondering those little details, though. I include every last one of them for very good reasons. :}

So saith Ed. Master worldbuilder, perhaps the greatest we have in English, who's still alive.
Not that he'd agree with that...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  16:47:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi yet again.
Gelcur, you've noticed one of the simplifications that had to happen to squeeze even a little bit of Undermountain into that first box.
Much of the interior of Mount Waterdeep, "above" Undermountain, is honeycombed with rooms and passages. The uppermost of these are occupied by Waterdeep's City Guard, who even have griffon "flight decks" opening out of the sides of Mount Waterdeep (as well as the associated stables, armories, et al).
The oldest and most self-contained part of this fortress, which can't be "collapsed" or magically assaulted with any ease, being as it's the location of some of the ancient spells that keep much of the central city of Waterdeep (all of Castle Ward, and parts of Dock Ward, Sea Ward, and North Ward) from collapsing down into the sewers and thence into Undermountain, got captured by The Black Hand, an assassin's/thieve's cabal. Who are holed up in there (circa the 1360s DR), besieged by the Guard and Watch, and periodically assaulted by secretly-hired adventuring bands, and can't be dislodged. On the other hand, they can't operate freely down into the city any longer, either.
That "upper sub-level" (the Citadel of the Black Hand) and the ways up to it weren't detailed in the boxed set, because describing all of the assassins (some of whom are doppelgangers, who have infiltrated the ranks of the Guard, Palace courtiers, nobles, guildmasters, and even the Lords; they are the sole means by which the Black Hand can still reach the "world outside the mountain").
I privately suspect that all of this may have been left out to avoid troubles with Kenzer and Co. (Jolly Blackburn also has a "Black Hand" in the Knights of the Dinner Table strip; Ed's came first, by almost a decade, but Jolly's got published first); the need to change the name was an easy reason to just edit out the entire idea, because there was already far too little space in the boxed set to even detail the "core area around the Yawning Portal entry shaft."
Ed's Black Hand wanted to become the TRUE rulers of Waterdeep, and the power struggle between them, various factions of Lords, and Piergeiron is an ongoing thread in Ed's home campaign. With all sides searching for some ancient magics of Ahghairon that could tip the balance of power on behalf of the wielders of those magics.
THERE you go. Old Realmslore so long ago suppressed that there isn't even an NDA to prevent me revealing it.
Bwoohahahahaha!

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 May 2010 16:55:20
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  17:03:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And hi again.
Zandilar, you're quite correct: there are herbal, alchemical, and magical "anti-contraceptives," but I've never known the details (Ed as DM does, of course, and your post has been sent on to him to see if he'll leak any).
Zireael, you're quite right in that the elder elven cultures in the Realms have less social constraints (from the perspective of humans), but they DO have rules. In fact, various elven cultures vary far more widely than any human "norms." The drow tend to be relaxed regarding homosexuality, sex without marriage, and polygamy (I say "tend to be" because drow social organization varies widely from city to city, and from dominant faith to dominant faith) - - but the Lolth-dominated drow have a strict matrilinear (even "femdom," in real-world parlance) and gender-based roles within their societies.
Then, of course, social mores are always shifting as time passes, in all of these races and locations. Ed has even written (back in the early 1980s) about the importance of PC adventurers as trend-setters, and bold changers of society.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  17:17:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

(some of whom are doppelgangers, who have infiltrated the ranks of the Guard, Palace courtiers, nobles, guildmasters, and even the Lords; they are the sole means by which the Black Hand can still reach the "world outside the mountain").

Are these doppelgangers part of the Unseen, or is this a separate/rival group? We know that at least one Lord has been replaced by a greater doppelganger...

Also, since we know that Laeral and Khelben periodically wander thru the minds of the Lords, how long would it take for such a replacement to be discovered?

In one of my Lords of Waterdeep articles, the mentor of a prospective Lord manages -- by accident! -- to infiltrate the Unseen, and the news quickly and quietly gets back to Khelben that one of the Lords has been replaced. In this article, Khelben acts as I personally expect: he leaves the doppelganger Lord in place, and informs a couple of his like-minded friends among the Lords. By keeping the impostor in place, Khelben keeps an eye on him and can -- to a certain extent -- manipulate him.

Is this a reasonable assumption for how Khelben would react, upon discovering that one of the Lords was really a doppelganger? If not, how would the other Lords react upon discovery of their infiltration?

I speak, of course, of Waterdeep of the late 1360s thru mid-1370s. That's the timeframe I'm most comfortable with.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  17:28:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

The drow tend to be relaxed regarding homosexuality, sex without marriage ...
Milady, what are Ed's thoughts on the views of the other demihuman races, like dwarves and gnomes for example, when considering such sexual conduct among their own in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  18:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded OneQuestions for Ed Greenwood (2005) Page 80–19 December, 2005

In addition, every pasha, yshah, ynamalik, sultan, and caleph (and frontier bandit lord; such individuals almost always style themselves “satraps”) has their own adventurers, usually three distinct groups (which their master plays off against each other as rivals, each spying on the others): a personal bodyguard, a publicly-known “razra” or strike force, and a little-known “saress” or ‘Silent Hand’ (dirty-work group).
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Again promted by my 'Realmspeak' questing, I need to ask:

1. What are “yshah” and “ynamalik” and does a “satrap” have the same function in Calimshan as the real-world Persian ones had?
2. I presume all those terms, and indeed all the “foreign” terms used in Calimport, are meant to be in Alzhedo?
3. What is the term for those adventurers acting as “a personal bodyguard”?
4. Do the “razra” act in the same capacity for their employer as the “Farisan” do for the syl-pasha/Calimshan?
5. Do the “saress” act in the same capacity for their employer as the “razra” except that they are “behind the scenes”?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 23 May 2010 20:41:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  20:57:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Posts sent off to Ed for proper replies, but two quick points from my notes and memories...

Sage, I know Ed held the view that in some places, EVERYTHING broke down for dwarves in the Realms in recent centuries, as holds fell, clans got decimated or entirely wiped out, and births dwindled to a trickle. So ANY social norms (including taboos and strict rules) may well have been abandoned, as the desperate, wandering dwarven survivors did whatever was necessary, lost their traditions, and so on.

Kyrene, I know that "satrap" in Calimshan has two meanings: the official, hierarchical one, and the looser, wider one (what outsiders think of, and as it's used by those frontier bandit lords we referred to: "lawful/legitimate ruler of an area"). Note that what more northerly areas would call a "robber baron" would be a "satrap" in the Calishite lands in this looser parlance: in other words, it's those who lack legitimacy who try to claim or proclaim it.

So saith me, while we await better replies from Ed. Who is hard at work at the keyboard today, BTW.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  22:43:27  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed. Master worldbuilder, perhaps the greatest we have in English, who's still alive.
Not that he'd agree with that...
love,
THO

Which inspires the question, who are Ed's favorite world-builders? Game, book, film, past, present, whatever.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  23:20:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thank you THO.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  00:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

@THO - thanks again. :) I look forward to the reply on anti-contraceptives.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

The drow tend to be relaxed regarding homosexuality, sex without marriage ...
Milady, what are Ed's thoughts on the views of the other demihuman races, like dwarves and gnomes for example, when considering such sexual conduct among their own in the Realms?

Hmmm... yes, I tend to be biased towards elves and humans, but I'd like to second that - particularly for halflings. :)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  01:12:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sage, I know Ed held the view that in some places, EVERYTHING broke down for dwarves in the Realms in recent centuries, as holds fell, clans got decimated or entirely wiped out, and births dwindled to a trickle. So ANY social norms (including taboos and strict rules) may well have been abandoned, as the desperate, wandering dwarven survivors did whatever was necessary, lost their traditions, and so on.
Ah, interesting. I was curious, simply, because of the revelations once offered about increased birth rates among the dwarven people as a result of the Thunder Blessing.

I would assume that some newly established clan holds and such would probably want to eventually re-introduce any long-standing social taboos, like this, at some point. After all, we know how much tradition means to a dwarf...

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  03:26:05  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Knight of the Gate, it is indeed very common, and your view is accurate. I would of course add Sharess to your first list of faiths.
However, this doesn't mean that temples usually run overt brothels, or try to compete with (or stamp out) free-enterprise prostitution. Sex is used in rituals in specific (narrow) ways, for worship of the deity and "improvement of self to make the self a better servant of the deity as well as more pleasing to the deity and therefore more favored by the deity."
A lot of out-in-the-streets prostitution, as in the real world, is a job (economic necessity), and is sought out to slake lusts and/or just to get some companionship (i.e. banish loneliness). [It's that last aspect that real-world crusaders against the "evil of prostitution" usually overlook, discount, or are unaware-of; the huge amount of buying sex that's really buying intimacy/banishing loneliness. Of course, for some, participation in faith is primarily for the very same reason.]
YMMV, of course.
love,
THO

Many thanks lady... I don't know how tired I was that I thought 'Sharess' and typed 'Kelemvor'. I'd be interested in hearing the particulars of any of the rites you saw (or participated in!) as a player, or have notes of.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  12:54:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good day again. I wondered if I could chime in with some of my dust-covered questions again, this time from Dragon #74 and the article named Seven Swords. Some of the names used in this article are new to me; I wondered whether Ed could shed some light on them for me?

Seven Swords

In Adjatha "the Drinker.":
Nesker of Mulmaster, sorcerer king, ruled in the early years of the 1300's. Would it be possible to get some information on this ruler and the older Mulmaster rulers in general?

In Namara, "The Sword That Never Sleeps":
The sage Kumur the Sceptic, first Speaker of Evernoster is mentioned. What/who is Evernoster? I cant remember reading the name anywhere else.

In Susk "The Silent Sword":
The sword was held some twenty years ago by a prince Abadda of the Fallen Kingdom. From what I have read the two lands bearing that name existed much earlier. Was this term used for a third area or was the kingdoms in existence at a later date in Ed's early Realms?

In Taragarth "The Bloodbrand":
Here the islet Toaridge-At-The Suns-Setting and the City of Vlan in the Moonshaes are mentioned. I guess that both of these were lost with the Celtic version of the islands, but could it still be possible to get some information on these areas and what they were like?
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  13:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Tyranthraxus, most cities and "market towns" in the Realms have alchemists or herbalists or both (shops, that is), and of course most farmers (crofters) and rural villages have ample supplies of grown-right-there herbs as well as "harvested from hedgerows and woodlots or the wild" herbs. However, the Realms DOESN'T have laws against soft or hard recreational herbal drugs (the very concept is unknown, because herbs and other plants have always been used for home medicines, and for trance-inducing, hallucinogenic, and mood-altering purposes IN TEMPLES, by the priests of the Realms (of almost all faiths).
As a result, there's no market need in the Realms for what's sometimes called in our real world a "head shop" or a "funk shop" or any "counter-culture" gathering place or vendor of drugs and associated items ("bongs", music, T-shirts, etc.).
No drug trade, no drug laws and police enforcement of them...none of that. If an idiot "drives" a wagon or chariot when stoned or drunk and does damage, citizens mete out rough justice on the spot, or the Watch in a city comes and arrests and takes the miscreant to justice for the damage done and for the reckless endangerment of the behavior that caused said damage...NOT for the drugs. (Again, in a setting where EVERYONE "believes" in all of the gods without necessarily having to take anything on faith, and priests habitually make use of drugs in holy rituals involving themselves and lay worshippers, the very concept of "drugs being illegal" is unknown.)
The one exception I know of is: military discipline. In many of the armies and local lawkeeping forces (i.e. City Watches) of the Realms, it's an offense to be drunk or stoned on duty.

Now, a note to all scribes reading this: please DO NOT misinterpret this post as advocating drug use in the real world, or describing the Realms as a place where everyone (or a majority of folk) are stoned all or part of the time. Nothing could be further from the truth. In some thirty-two years or so of Realmsplay, Ed has only ever described ANY evidence of drugs in the Realms twice, that I recall.
Once was a ritual in which priests had undertaken a vigil in which they drank sacred wine and inhaled vapors from specific herbs burned on an altar, in order to receive visions that would guide them (that they believed came from the deity).
The other occasion was PCs invading a temple of Bane to try to recover kidnapped persons. As they descended into lower levels of the temple (subterranean dungeons), Ed described acrid scents in the air, as if certain plants were being burned...and then the visions started. (This wasn't a defense of the temple, it was priests down on those lower levels engaged in a ritual, and the PCs inhaling the results from the air currents that normally exhaust the air of those lower temple levels.)

So saith me.
As they say on the news: No, don't try this at home.
love,
THO

Thank you for answering THO, and also thanks for the reply on my other question about restoring the Weave.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  14:02:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm not Ed (but can do a feeble impersonation when at my best), but here are some responses to your questions:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
Nesker of Mulmaster, sorcerer king, ruled in the early years of the 1300's. Would it be possible to get some information on this ruler and the older Mulmaster rulers in general?

I think I asked this question a couple of years ago. Still waiting patiently.

quote:
The sword was held some twenty years ago by a prince Abadda of the Fallen Kingdom. From what I have read the two lands bearing that name existed much earlier. Was this term used for a third area or was the kingdoms in existence at a later date in Ed's early Realms?

Eric Boyd dealt with this in a write-up he did of the "Unicorn Blade" (see Volo's Guide to the North). It was originally slated for his "Eye of Myrkul" DUNGEON adventure but I think it got cut for length. Fellow scribes will no doubt point you in the right direction.

quote:
Here the islet Toaridge-At-The Suns-Setting and the City of Vlan in the Moonshaes are mentioned. I guess that both of these were lost with the Celtic version of the islands, but could it still be possible to get some information on these areas and what they were like?

Both still exist in the maps as far as I know. Toaridge is the small cluster of islands just north of the Nelanther and south and east of the Moonshaes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  19:12:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm not Ed (but can do a feeble impersonation when at my best), but here are some responses to your questions:

quote:

I think I asked this question a couple of years ago. Still waiting patiently.

quote:

Eric Boyd dealt with this in a write-up he did of the "Unicorn Blade" (see Volo's Guide to the North). It was originally slated for his "Eye of Myrkul" DUNGEON adventure but I think it got cut for length. Fellow scribes will no doubt point you in the right direction.

quote:

Both still exist in the maps as far as I know. Toaridge is the small cluster of islands just north of the Nelanther and south and east of the Moonshaes.

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George, I will have to see if Boyds work was ever made public.

I did check my Fonstad and I couldn't find Vlan mentioned in the Moonshaes though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000