Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alignment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  13:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which alignment are you most likely to play?

Choices:

Lawful Good
Neutral Good
Chaotic Good
Lawful Neutral
True Neutral
Chaotic Neutral
Lawful Evil
Neutral Evil
Chaotic Evil
None. I don''t use the 9 alignment system.
All of them. I don''t favor one over the other.

(Anonymous Vote)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 19 Dec 2007 14:54:47

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  13:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to ask you to define what you mean by "best".

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  13:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which is the most fun to play/encounter?

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
depends on the race, class, character scheme, group, DM and a couple of other things

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Neutral Good because that is what I am in real life....I mean well, do good things, and tend to follow most rules to do so but will bend them for the greater good, I am not bound by them :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Lawful Good. You'd think that it would be the most common alignment, but it's often hard to find people who want to play it. It's like people see the words lawful and good, and they avoid it like the plague so as not to cause themselves (or the group) some kind of moral dilemma. I mean, it's not like a lawful good fighter is going to wax intellectual with you about the consequences of hacking an orcish raider to bits. By and large, even Paladins in D&D tend to believe that morals should applied on the end of a sword. I don't know where people got the idea that lawful good translated into "boring", but in my opinion, that's what's happened. And that's unfortunate, because I think they can be really fun to play.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:55:56  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I choose the All of the Above option. But, since this is a poll, CE. Why? It's the one alignment that typically means the action will be commencing shortly for no other reason than it wants you dead. Once you're dead, then it can ponder the philosophical.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  16:43:19  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i went with cg. personally i consider myself ng

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  16:50:31  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

depends on the race, class, character scheme, group, DM and a couple of other things

I second that. Therefore this question is no so easy to answer and I did not vote on this poll....... However, to give my thoughts on this:

I do not like NE as a players choise as it is seems to most the easiest to play - do what you like on each and every turn. It'S the cheap way out of each dilema. IMO this does not always fit the bill of the alignment though...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  16:55:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer NG, because that's mostly how I see myself (I also have tendencies towards both CN and CG). My fave good alignments are NG and CG, in that order. My fave evil alignments are NE and LE, because for me, those are the easiest to grasp. The neutral alignments I generally don't mess with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  17:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i favor neutral good because i do not favor law or (chuckles) unlaw. i do however strongly favor good over evil

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  17:12:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have mostly DM'ed since the early 90's, so the alignment I use will wary with each adventure. Most of the time I dont use them at all. Lawful evil or neutral evil would be my favorites for villains and Chaotic good for npc's if I have to choose.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  20:22:27  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to my real life way of life, I would say NG... I hope so !

But the most interesting alignment from roleplaying point of view is, on my own opinion of course, the True Neutral. I think it's the most difficult alignment to be played ! because : Who's True Neutral ? No one !
What is a true Neutral life ? someone who cannot take part on any matter he encounters ?... could he ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  00:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In real life, I'm probably closest to Lawful Good, but to be a bit nitty and gritty, I enjoy playing Lawful Neutral. All the personal honor without moral obligation to "save" those who aren't connected to you. And the notion that a "good" aligned spell is just as allowable as one with an "evil" descriptor.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Edited by - Daviot on 25 Sep 2007 00:46:22
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  00:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NG all the way. Do gooders unite! Unless it is Friday night... I do the CE Talos Cleric thing on Friday Night. Accompanied by the thunder of Doritos being consumed, mwahahahaha!!!!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  01:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted NG... Mostly because (like others) I view myself as such.

Now, as to the other alignments for playing, I choose any of the Good alignments & lawful Neutral to play myself,

As a DM, I love to run a good LE/NE group... they are quite nasty, and are capable of great measures of cooperation to get the final goal.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  02:15:30  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to play chaotic neutral because it is pretty far from who I really am LG, but not over into the realm of evil - although that makes for some great role play as well.
I think that any type of chaotic character adds to the party since they are more unpredictable.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  03:08:59  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the results it seems that we are a bunch of do-gooders bah

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 25 Sep 2007 03:09:26
Go to Top of Page

darkhuntress
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  03:26:21  Show Profile  Visit darkhuntress's Homepage Send darkhuntress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

From the results it seems that we are a bunch of do-gooders bah

Not me, honey, I'm Chaotic Neutral all the way. Freedom is the most important thing to me; I absolutely hate being told what to do.

I tend to play Chaotic Good characters, mostly because I can't stand rules and minutia getting in the way of doing the right thing. Law = boring and monotonous to me.

I played a Neutral Evil PC once, which was awesomely fun. She was a selfish cow and I had a ton of fun hamming it up with her.

"Do not mistake our kindness for gullibility, nor our hesitance to draw blades for cowardice. Contrary to what the spider kissers would have you believe, Dark Ladies are not addle-brained, pacifist weaklings. We'd have all died a long time ago if that were the case." --Lady Kariza de'Camyras, High Priestess of the Temple of the Silver Crescent
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  02:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty square--I like all the good alignments (LG, NG, CG), and I would generally only play one of them. I don't find neutral or evil alignments to be satisfying. What can I say, I like being a hero.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  05:53:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm pretty square--I like all the good alignments (LG, NG, CG), and I would generally only play one of them. I don't find neutral or evil alignments to be satisfying. What can I say, I like being a hero.

Well, as I've said before, I want to one time try playing a single NE character in an otherwise good-aligned group. It has the potential to be very interesting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  17:38:54  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, as I've said before, I want to one time try playing a single NE character in an otherwise good-aligned group. It has the potential to be very interesting.

Been there - done that. They all died - I didn't.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Edited by - Brynweir on 29 Sep 2007 17:41:58
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  17:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote in Lawful Good. You know, I´m a very paladinesque dwarf.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  01:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neutral Evil, I just like the sociopathic description it has
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  00:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

That would be interesting. But if I were in that group, odds are I would not want to be the evil character.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  01:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought the alignment system in DND was absolutely horrible and a complete waste of time. It's nice to think of a guide-post description of your actions but codifying them into categories that share similar characteristics is just... it seems to rob the individual experience of its identity. Motivations change for people based on events in their lives and can dramatically alter a person's approach to a given situation. Prejudice can make an otherwise pleasant, law-abiding and generally "good" person into a savage monster who'd be more fitting as a CE villainous type, you know?

That said, if forced at the end of a gun, I'd venture that the alignments that appeal most to me are a properly-played Chaotic Neutral character or something in the NE/LE vein.

But then, the conventional 9 alignments of DND tend to miss character types like the anti-hero; find me a good alignment that appropriately encompasses that archetype. CG doesn't cut it by its listed definition, for example, and neither does it fit into any of the neutral or evil categories. *shrugs*
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  13:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warrax

I always thought the alignment system in DND was absolutely horrible and a complete waste of time. It's nice to think of a guide-post description of your actions but codifying them into categories that share similar characteristics is just... it seems to rob the individual experience of its identity. Motivations change for people based on events in their lives and can dramatically alter a person's approach to a given situation. Prejudice can make an otherwise pleasant, law-abiding and generally "good" person into a savage monster who'd be more fitting as a CE villainous type, you know?

That said, if forced at the end of a gun, I'd venture that the alignments that appeal most to me are a properly-played Chaotic Neutral character or something in the NE/LE vein.

But then, the conventional 9 alignments of DND tend to miss character types like the anti-hero; find me a good alignment that appropriately encompasses that archetype. CG doesn't cut it by its listed definition, for example, and neither does it fit into any of the neutral or evil categories. *shrugs*

if you read the discription part of the Players handbook, you'll realize that even if there are only 9 categories, those categories are very broad

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  16:22:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no best alignment .. Every alignment think itself best from it's point of view and from the point of view of the person who possess it and express it...
i like to play chaotic good characters ,if that is what do you mean, and i will vote to this alignment!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  18:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never had a problem of the Good-Evil axis, but I always thought that "Lawful" was a bit of a misnomer, and that "Order" or something similar would make more since.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  18:59:17  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lawful Evil...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

RIMV
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:36:14  Show Profile  Visit RIMV's Homepage Send RIMV a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For myself, I definitely think NE is the most fun the play, but I also like NG, N and CG as just as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000