Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alignment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:48:01  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lawful Neutral and Neutral Evil as well...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  21:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I don't think any alignment is best I prefer Chaotic Neutral(and think of myself as CN).

Edited by - Nimriel on 04 Dec 2007 21:17:03
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  21:32:13  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhh, what's with all the pointless polls you do? Could you possibly ask a broader question with no application?
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  22:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you meal Alorin ?
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  18:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Uhh, what's with all the pointless polls you do? Could you possibly ask a broader question with no application?

yes. do you like good guys or bad guys? but that would not be part of this post.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  18:51:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

quote:

yes. do you like good guys or bad guys? but that would not be part of this post.

it was a rhetorical question, of course you can. I'm just wondering why you tend to post so many things that are non Realms related such as the Mercy poll, asking if you can have metal leather armor, or which is more useful, a cleric or a wizard.

I thought we were here to discuss the Realms rather than the basics of D&D gameplay or what is your character's favorite color.
Go to Top of Page

adi
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  23:07:58  Show Profile  Visit adi's Homepage Send adi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did true neutral---it's in the middle

Adi
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  17:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

it was a rhetorical question, of course you can. I'm just wondering why you tend to post so many things that are non Realms related such as the Mercy poll, asking if you can have metal leather armor, or which is more useful, a cleric or a wizard.

I thought we were here to discuss the Realms rather than the basics of D&D gameplay or what is your character's favorite color.

How 'bout this: if you were to play a FR campaign what alignment would you be most likely to play and why?

BTW most of my polls were created when I was new here at the Keep. as for the mithral leather armor question, that was for a PBEM game (DM'd by Kuje). and the mercy poll, that was my attempt at understanding the type of people that are on Candlekeep. that was also made early in my stay here. I do not make threads of my own very often anymore. the last one was First Novel.

Edited by - Aravine on 11 Dec 2007 17:30:50
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  20:20:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've been moving from NG to CG in real life these past few years. Some recent events have made me more and more suspicious of what could be called "order".

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

slay_4_pay
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  04:44:11  Show Profile  Visit slay_4_pay's Homepage Send slay_4_pay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral. One of my favorite characters was Chaotic Neutral with good tendencies. For all intents and purposes he behaved like a Chaotic Good character most of the time, except for the fact that he happened to be an assassin. He only killed bad people, but he did it for money (I modled him after Tommy Monaghan from Garth Ennis' comic Hitman). I wanted to just run him as Chaotic Good, but my DM wouldn't allow an assassin of good alignment, thus the Chaotic Neutral character with good tendencies was born.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  18:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slay_4_pay

I like Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral. One of my favorite characters was Chaotic Neutral with good tendencies. For all intents and purposes he behaved like a Chaotic Good character most of the time, except for the fact that he happened to be an assassin. He only killed bad people, but he did it for money (I modled him after Tommy Monaghan from Garth Ennis' comic Hitman). I wanted to just run him as Chaotic Good, but my DM wouldn't allow an assassin of good alignment, thus the Chaotic Neutral character with good tendencies was born.

we've had a discussion about assasins on this forum before. search it. (or someone could put a link in?)

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  11:05:56  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Aravine, your request...

assassins

The characters I’m playing are normally CG or NG.

In my understanding alignment is only a help to get an idea for playing your character. I give my PC’s the alignment-descriptions as a guideline, not a fixed concept - if you are lawful you shouldn’t attack the watch for example.

Go to Top of Page

Walking in the Light
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  01:03:38  Show Profile  Visit Walking in the Light's Homepage Send Walking in the Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me the LG works great when adventuring
So I must agree with the wise Ugly is the new Black LG really does not mean less to do but more in playing a story out.
A strong Moral-Compass can make a game/story come alive on so many levels

From the Book Halfling Sayings by Agudo

A Lion Tamer once said, if ya need an illusionist for thy circus then call a Gnome
But if thy circus needs a clown send in the Halflings

Chapter 5-The town of Gullykin on the Sword Coast
By Lady Silvin Lionheart, speaking to Agudo in the year of the Comical Halfling

Go to Top of Page

Walking in the Light
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  01:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Walking in the Light's Homepage Send Walking in the Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL
Ahh the LG may rock, but the evil double post always sneaks in some how

From the Book Halfling Sayings by Agudo

A Lion Tamer once said, if ya need an illusionist for thy circus then call a Gnome
But if thy circus needs a clown send in the Halflings

Chapter 5-The town of Gullykin on the Sword Coast
By Lady Silvin Lionheart, speaking to Agudo in the year of the Comical Halfling

Edited by - Walking in the Light on 23 Dec 2007 01:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Shilo99
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2007 :  13:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Shilo99's Homepage Send Shilo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I play NG or CG traditionally: do-gooders & heroes, pure and simple. They favour individuals and small groups (like…an adventuring party!) to get things done rather than large orgs/armies/laws, so are perfect fits for a party.

I have huge respect for the alignment system, and love the delicious irony that both the system, and the alignments themselves, are totally subjective, and lead to fantastic divergences of opinion, even arguments, around the gaming table: just like folks of differing alignment might have if they were sitting around a fantasy tavern table…or facing off over swordpoints!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2007 :  17:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even folks of the same alignment can disagree.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  15:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  16:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it seems like Neutral Good is the favored alignment

Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  18:05:35  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
obviously so, since it reprents what most people want to be (good) and how they want to do it (neutral, going with the law if possible and if it doesn't work, taking things into their own hands)

two LG are even likly to disagree if they don't follow the exact same rules and let's not talk about evil, those kill each other regulary for power and wealth

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  17:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now chaotic Neutral? Interesting, it appears people dislike Lawful polarized character's in general.Hmm... why has Law and Order done so well for so long, I wonder?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  19:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't dislike Lawful alignments. I enjoy playing characters of all goodly alignments, including Lawful Good.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  17:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll put it this way, there seems to be a strong inclination to Chaos. or Neutrality.

Can anyone explain this?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  19:30:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll put it this way, there seems to be a strong inclination to Chaos. or Neutrality.

Can anyone explain this?

People either want total freedom, or they want freedom with few limitations.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  16:26:39  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Can anyone explain this?

People either want total freedom, or they want freedom with few limitations.

Any other thoughts, or does everyone agree with Mr. Ill Omen?

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  18:53:52  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can look at it this way.

Take, for instance, your staple, good-natured person. In a world where we don't go down to the local bar to find out what sorts of villains need slaying, being a real person of good alignment is pretty rare. As such, morals have much more subtle place in the lives of ordinary people.

That being said, we can look at the staple, good-natured person again. "Good" would translate more as "lawful." People who want to try to get good jobs or fit in with the general populace tend to be lawful. At the same time (and if you're anything like me), you might daydream from time to time about doing crazy crap.

Driving down the highway? High speed chase. Stopping in a gas station? Inexplicable fight scene with your fellow pit-stoppers.

The point is that it's a lot more fun, at least for most, to be a roguish ne'er-do-well when, in everyday life, it is more accepted and expected to be "lawful neutral." Since consequences in-game have no bearing out of game, unless your DM snaps and shoots you in the leg or something, there's no real incentive not to play chaotic, or at least neutral in regards to ethics.

I, for one, enjoy chaotic good the most, but that's more based on my penchant for sarcasm and irony then for my everyday life. As it is, I inadvertently find myself the victim of less-than-lawful outcomes to my ethically noble intentions.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  20:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I often play LG characters, and I enjoy it very much. I don't think there's any less incentive to be lawful than any other type of alignment.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Apr 2008 20:45:16
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  16:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

You can look at it this way.

Take, for instance, your staple, good-natured person. In a world where we don't go down to the local bar to find out what sorts of villains need slaying, being a real person of good alignment is pretty rare. As such, morals have much more subtle place in the lives of ordinary people.

That being said, we can look at the staple, good-natured person again. "Good" would translate more as "lawful." People who want to try to get good jobs or fit in with the general populace tend to be lawful. At the same time (and if you're anything like me), you might daydream from time to time about doing crazy crap.

Driving down the highway? High speed chase. Stopping in a gas station? Inexplicable fight scene with your fellow pit-stoppers.

The point is that it's a lot more fun, at least for most, to be a roguish ne'er-do-well when, in everyday life, it is more accepted and expected to be "lawful neutral." Since consequences in-game have no bearing out of game, unless your DM snaps and shoots you in the leg or something, there's no real incentive not to play chaotic, or at least neutral in regards to ethics.

I, for one, enjoy chaotic good the most, but that's more based on my penchant for sarcasm and irony then for my everyday life. As it is, I inadvertently find myself the victim of less-than-lawful outcomes to my ethically noble intentions.

I think you hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  19:08:06  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally i love to play any alignment but it depends on the campaign and what is layed out for us. Currently i am playing a neutral good (turning evil) rogue13/fighter2 who began his life as a mere pick pocket type of rogue but began his decline into moral indecesion when killing "innocents" became necessary. Killing an unarmed female orc because it was stealthy and trying to strangle an unconscious PC....killing the duke of a town because he was believed (correctly) to be behind so real bad mojo when the rest of the group wanted to bring him alive (i simply saved them the trouble of confronting him)...his latest act of evil was to go behind the backs of the PC's and attempt to ally himself with the great white dragon they are trying to defeat.

anyway i am rambling...in the next campaign i paly on saturdays i already have planned to play a NG bard. The DM has decided to run a FR based campaign and since i am the fore most uber geek fan in that group of FR i decided to use my out of character knowledge to play a bard. The DM has already said that i can use the knowledge "I" have in place of any knowledge checks :) I just hope he doesn't change the world too much...i would hate to stand and say

"Yes i have heard of the Zhents, a bad lot they are! They are probably the heart of evil behind this recent string of problems."

when in this campaign the zhents are a band of holy paladins in service to good aligned gods....god that is what nightmares are made of
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  04:09:34  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordArcana

Personally i love to play any alignment but it depends on the campaign and what is layed out for us. Currently i am playing a neutral good (turning evil) rogue13/fighter2 who began his life as a mere pick pocket type of rogue but began his decline into moral indecesion when killing "innocents" became necessary. Killing an unarmed female orc because it was stealthy and trying to strangle an unconscious PC....killing the duke of a town because he was believed (correctly) to be behind so real bad mojo when the rest of the group wanted to bring him alive (i simply saved them the trouble of confronting him)...his latest act of evil was to go behind the backs of the PC's and attempt to ally himself with the great white dragon they are trying to defeat.

I... ah...

I wouldn't call that "turning" evil. I'd pretty much say that's evil. In fact, the first time you killed an innocent because it was "necessary," I'd say that was at the very least nongood, and most likely pretty evil.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Dezmodu
Acolyte

Netherlands
17 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  13:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Dezmodu's Homepage Send Dezmodu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
voted CG, couse I like the rebel idea, and thats the alignment I'd like to be. (thoug its almost imposible these days without ending up behind bars)
and like most I think of myself as NG.

DeZ

paladin: Ignorance is no excuse!
Rogue: Why?
Paladin: I don't know.
Rogue: IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE!!!

Edited by - Dezmodu on 16 Apr 2008 13:08:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic