Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Alignment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  17:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf
I... ah...

I wouldn't call that "turning" evil. I'd pretty much say that's evil.

I agree.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  18:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
I... ah...

I wouldn't call that "turning" evil. I'd pretty much say that's evil.

I agree.

I second that. can anyone say CP? Complete Pshyco!

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

TheArchPriest
Acolyte

Brazil
14 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  18:34:42  Show Profile  Visit TheArchPriest's Homepage Send TheArchPriest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LN all the way!(my own alignment)
But I love them all except CG(I hate CG)

And I really think this "Neutral Good" rogue isn't very "good"...

Black Flame Zealot
Influent Kossuthan Cleric

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  21:06:47  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheArchPriest

Any particular reason for that?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  01:32:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

Complete Psycho? Is that some new WotC class book?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  03:01:15  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

...I shouldn't have laughed at that as hard as I did. There's... There's chocolate milk EVERYwhere now.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  14:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

...I shouldn't have laughed at that as hard as I did. There's... There's chocolate milk EVERYwhere now.

Same thing happened here! although I was referring to an alignment....

Go to Top of Page

TheArchPriest
Acolyte

Brazil
14 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Visit TheArchPriest's Homepage Send TheArchPriest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes they tend to be dreamers that believe all the word is beautiful and that everyone should be happy and hug themselves
Or they are just annoying with their behavior

I am irritated with all kind of chaos but I just can't tolerate CG,the others are at least cool to roleplay

Black Flame Zealot

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  00:11:10  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes they tend to be dreamers that believe all the word is beautiful and that everyone should be happy and hug themselves

I am irritated with all kind of chaos but I just can't tolerate CG,the others are at least cool to roleplay

I think, as far as the autohugging goes, you're confusing CG with NG, haha. But I can see where you're coming from. I like to look at the problem this way, though. In all DnD setting, alignment is an objective, cosmos-altering phenomenon. Demons and devils are evil because they are made of evil, if you like such classic fantasy speech. Similarly, slaadi are chaotic for similar reasons. Players, however, cannot do anything but play subjectively, in which intent often seems to be more important than action. Why did I slaughter the brigands mercilessly? Because it was the only way to save the city.

Similarly, I like to think that alignment should reflect more than just moral and ethical standing, as well as means by which character goals are fulfilled. Take, for instance, Robin Hood, who is the sample chaotic good character given in many sources. He does good deeds by waylaying the snobby rich and giving to the poor. This is, of course, all assuming that the rich are evil or at the very least malevolent, while the poor are always good. Even then, however, there are a few problems to be seen. From what I can remember from a Robin Hood book I read, the protagonist was strongly family-centric, with a great love of his nation and loyalty to the true king. These traits, however, are more lawful than chaotic, as chaotic characters as presented in the DMG tend to think power corrupts and those IN power are undependable.

::Takes a breath::

Thus, alignment optimally covers personality as well, outside the realm of action. Reckless behavior, temperament, impatience; these would all seem to me to be chaotic traits. Unfortunately, a great many characters defined as "chaotic" exhibit very few of them. I hate to call a drow black (that was a tea kettle reference, not a racial one), but take a look at Drizzt. His stoicism and normally keen control over his temper would paint him as lawful, or at the very least neutral in my book. The third edition campaign setting, however, certainly labels him as chaotic.

So, I suppose that looking at it from a more top-down viewpoint would help. Even at the simplest level, characters within the same alignment, while they "tend" to have similar traits, often do not. I think that if you tried playing an intelligent CG character (i.e., a realistic one), you'd have a great deal of fun.

Incidentally, lawful neutral is my least favorite.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  00:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How so?

I just had to ask.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How so?

I just had to ask.

How he's annoyed with Chaotic, or how the others are at least fun to roleplay

I just had to ask.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:08:21  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be the Beatles.

"all we are saying... is give peace a chance"

"people say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one..."

Edited by - Aravine on 18 Apr 2008 19:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  21:00:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, that's John Lennon, not the Beatles.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  21:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just had to ask.

How he dislikes CG, but thinks the other chaotic alignments (CN, CE) fun to roleplay.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  21:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Seconded.

Go to Top of Page

TheArchPriest
Acolyte

Brazil
14 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  22:32:36  Show Profile  Visit TheArchPriest's Homepage Send TheArchPriest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I just had to ask.

How he dislikes CG, but thinks the other chaotic alignments (CN, CE) fun to roleplay.

For CN
Well I don't know but I think its fun to play a warrior like Tempus who wanders the land ramdomly(not really) changing sides and slashing who he wants(the unlawful and charismatic rogue,and the arrogant mage traveller are also coll types)
Regarding CE
Sometimes I like to play the deranged psycopath,generally suffering from serious mental perturbations and with insanely evil and perverted dreams

Regarding CG
I don't know,the only thing I find cool in chaos is insanity and unpredictability they generally(like i said its only generally) they don't have both these things
Also I think CG heros are far too common

But I think I will play CG one or two times in my life just for a change (the Drizzt like CG not the classical CG I spoke of)

Black Flame Zealot

Edited by - TheArchPriest on 18 Apr 2008 22:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  23:16:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if you're reading the alignment descriptions wrong... All chaotic means is that the individual is more important than the group. You don't have to act any special way, and it doesn't prohibit loyalty to a particular person. It just means that you value individual freedom and choice more than you value being part of a group or following rules.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  00:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Wooly, but at the same time I appreciate that you took the time to explain your reasoning, ArchPriest.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Apr 2008 00:02:18
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  08:34:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Seconded.

Thirded. (Although, Give Peace A Chance was written early enough that it's credited as a Lennon/McCartney song)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  23:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so it's Lennon. Sorry, I was born in the 80's. but the idea is the same.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  01:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, so it's Lennon. Sorry, I was born in the 80's. but the idea is the same.

I was born in the 80s, too, I just happen to know a little about the Beatles.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Apr 2008 01:54:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  02:12:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, we seem to be diverting a little too far off-topic, far too often. Let's try to keep the discussion on alignment, eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  03:48:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, we seem to be diverting a little too far off-topic, far too often. Let's try to keep the discussion on alignment, eh?

... And this demonstrates a Lawful alignment.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  05:37:32  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shut'cher pie hole!!

...And there you have Chaotic.
There honestly ought to be a third aspect to alignment, nice/mean.

I'm a MLG paladin. I'll save the seedy merchant whose dealings have finally caught up with him, but I'll gauntlet-check'im in the face to teach him a lesson.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, there should be a Complete Psycho alignment! where the character does random stuff and kills everyone...wait, that would be Chaotic Evil, wouldn't it?

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  20:45:05  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P'raps, but most people do that and label themselves Chaotic Neutral.

Argh, I hate morally neutral alignments.

Go to Top of Page

TheArchPriest
Acolyte

Brazil
14 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  03:17:45  Show Profile  Visit TheArchPriest's Homepage Send TheArchPriest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm wondering if you're reading the alignment descriptions wrong... All chaotic means is that the individual is more important than the group. You don't have to act any special way, and it doesn't prohibit loyalty to a particular person. It just means that you value individual freedom and choice more than you value being part of a group or following rules.

I know but I still dislike Chaotic things

Black Flame Zealot

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  16:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I know but I still dislike Chaotic things

I take it then, that your an archpriest of Tyr?

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  09:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I... ah...

I wouldn't call that "turning" evil. I'd pretty much say that's evil. In fact, the first time you killed an innocent because it was "necessary," I'd say that was at the very least nongood, and most likely pretty evil.

Then I could probably never play a 'good' character that I could identify with in the least.

The Forgotten Realms are a violent place, where many races and nations are more or less permanently at war, against irregular and decentralised forces. Assuming that in such conditions, it would always be possible to perform some kind of moral judgment on each and every person before acting is the worst kind of bright-eyed optimism.

Is it really 'good' to refuse to kill a sentry just because he/she is unarmed and one doesn't know that he's committed any crimes worthy of death? Even if this refusal leads to the sentry giving the alarm and a battle that could have been avoided being joined, killing a few dozen? Does the life of the single sentry that is saved somehow make up for the number of soldiers of your side and the other that died in the pointless fight?

I mean, I can see some 'Good' people adopting a system of Kantian Categorical Imperative ethics, but it's inconceivable that all of them would. With the intelligence to perceive future consequences must come some sort of responsibility to take them into account.

A military leader must work to bring his own men home safe and sound and to accomplish the goals he is set. Sometimes, the best methods for doing so will demand that he take action that could be seen as dishonourable or cruel. So be it. The willingness to act for the greater good regardless of the cost to yourself, your reputation and your peace of mind is a much better mark of 'Good' than adherance to an abstract principle like 'never kill innocents'.

Personally, though, I don't use the Aligment system anymore (comes with not bothering to use D&D any more), but in the times that I did, I usually DMed.

In those few times I did roleplay a character, I twice chose to play a Paladin, who was, of course, Lawful Good. This I did as a roleplaying challenge and because I felt the clash between the principled stance of a scholarly knight and the realities of war was interesting.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  13:40:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's always just knocking the guard unconscious and tying him up in a closet.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000