Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Larloch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wozniak1995
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  17:03:23  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have read online that larloch is neither a lich nor a demilich but apparently has found a form beyond the two... is this true? I thought that there is only lich, demilich and archlich (which is not applicable here).

Edited by - wozniak1995 on 09 Oct 2013 17:06:45

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  18:17:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are reasons that he is called the Uber Lich...... don't know what those reasons are.... but they are there

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  18:50:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many other flavors of lich, but what, exactly, Larloch is, has not been detailed. He is quite possibly a unique form of lich.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  19:18:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There are many other flavors of lich, but what, exactly, Larloch is, has not been detailed. He is quite possibly a unique form of lich.

Isn't he the Lar-lich?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  00:17:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear he can lich anybody.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  00:35:29  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this 3.x, 4th or 5th edition information? Its new to me. As far as I know he's "just" a lich. An extremelly powerful one at that, but a lich non the less.

I see some posible solutions or answers:

1) Every Faerūn lich is unique, with a unique set of abilities and such. (Monsters of Faerun)

2) He is actually a Aka-lich from Immortal Handbook, Epic bestiarium

3) Perhaps he is indeed a demi-lich in disquise.

4) He is some form of undead he created him self through foul craft.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  02:51:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think that's more than likely the case.

Some of Ed's replies on the subject would seem to suggest that Larloch is somewhat beyond the powers and perceptions of Mystra's Chosen. Which in itself would suggest that Larloch's lichdom status allows him to occupy a "special position" that is all his own -- and not something that can be easily categorised with respect to how we traditionally view liches.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  11:28:23  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the source where you read it got confused because he sometimes is called an Ultra-lich, though afaik its never defined what an ultra-lich is.

If you take a look at his writeup in Lords of Darkness he is a male human lich, so I would say its the standard lich template as long as there is no new write up of him.
Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  14:52:46  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the source that i got my information about larloch seemed to referece the Ed Greenwood post about him that i've read recently... the Ultra-lich status that he was given by Greenwood simply intrigued me and i didn't know if he was called that due to being an extremely powerfull lich or because he has achieved an alternate form of lichdom that somehow transcends the lich and even the demi-lich status since he has bound a few to his will

Edited by - wozniak1995 on 10 Oct 2013 14:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  17:09:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would define an 'ultra-lich' as a Lich who has achieved Exarch status (with or without the help of a 'patron').

The Sojourner was another ultra-lich.

An ultra-lich is to liches what dracoliches are to dragons. In other words its the, "oh crap, what the hell IS THAT?!" level.

Which makes me now ponder the ultra-dracolich.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2013 17:10:30
Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  17:41:47  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daurgothoth might fit that description
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  18:11:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Pretty sure he was alive, not undead.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  18:43:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah.. he was just sorta lich-like in appearance (since old-school Gith look like undead, and he was an ancient, shriveled version of one of those).

If he were already dead, that would have changed the entire story LOL.

How about Iouluam (sp?) He's definitely a Lich+ (ultra-lich)!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would define an 'ultra-lich' as a Lich who has achieved Exarch status (with or without the help of a 'patron').

An ultra-lich is to liches what dracoliches are to dragons. In other words its the, "oh crap, what the hell IS THAT?!" level.

What about demi-drocoliches? A floating red-dragon skull with gem fangs and eyes... that would make me leave that dungeon! :)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  19:13:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was hinted, well setup might be a better word, in a Realms novel that we just might be seeing more on Larloch. I certainly hope so myself. :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 10 Oct 2013 19:14:09
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  21:50:00  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yeah.. he was just sorta lich-like in appearance (since old-school Gith look like undead, and he was an ancient, shriveled version of one of those).

If he were already dead, that would have changed the entire story LOL.

How about Iouluam (sp?) He's definitely a Lich+ (ultra-lich)!

Indeed. Vhostym was 10,000 years old, so he had clearly used magic to extend his life far beyond the lifespan of normal Gith. Plus he had that terminal illness which had been slowly killing him for centuries. I think of him as being like Matron Yvonnel Baenre, withered and decrepit looking to signify that he no longer belonged in the mortal realm.

As for Iolaum, he's probably the creepiest looking thing on Faerun right now. I would love to see him use his Elder Brain status to take over an aboleth's mind and become even weirder!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  22:14:43  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, so we got to name all the three Big Name Undead Epic Uber Casters:
- Larloch the Ultra Lich and his mysterious purpose(s) (he has slightly different characteristics then normal liches, no one knows if he has a phylactery (or phylacteries) and what that (or those) may be and he has THE undead army of legend and fantasy, complete with scores of liches, vampires and other powerful undeads that are just his servants);
- Daurgothot the First Reader and his quest for uber dracolichdom (he wants all the breath weapons of dragons and he wants to procreate) and creation of HIS draconic subrace (i wonder if he's still around after all this time, heck after 110-120 years of nothing but research he might have finally succeded and 5e is "everyone fight for survival against super duper dracoliches");
- Iolaum, an undead illithid elder brain, 'nuff said;

I wonder where the Twisted Rune went and what became of Shoon VII and the Keeper of the Thaalud (is the Tomb-Tapper Tomb still around? or did the Shade plunder it)?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  02:50:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

quote:

What about demi-dracoliches? A floating red-dragon skull with gem fangs and eyes... that would make me leave that dungeon! :)

How fricking old would that demi-dracolich have to be? I mean, a dragon already lives practically forever compared to a human that would become a lich.... and a demi-lich is a lich that lasted so long that its bonds to the world are fading. I'm thinking a demi-dracolich would have to be a draco-lich that's been around multiple millennia (say 4 thousand years... or enough time to make Elminster look young).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  03:34:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What about demi-drocoliches? A floating red-dragon skull with gem fangs and eyes... that would make me leave that dungeon! :)

Scarily, the concept of demi-dracoliches is NDA... according to Ed, who responded to a query about such lich-types back in 2006.

I have this little tidbit, too, from Brian "Garen Thal" Cortijo on the subject:- "A demidracolich would have to have a minimum spellcaster of 21, which means you need a very old dragon, or a reasonably old dragon with levels in sorcerer (or both). The numbers will work out to about a CR of 37--as an estimate--at which point the game has usually already broken down on a massive level."

Truly a frightening concept.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  04:16:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I consider Larloch to be demi-divine...meaning, while not a God in the sense that he needs worshipers; he has reached a point of "ascending" beyond the normal concept of undeath. I put him in ranks higher than Vecna had reached, or even more powerful than Velsharoon or any other being that decided on godhood.

The reason being, Larloch is beyond even the limits of godhood in his power; though not a planar power obviously...he has no need of worshipers and is seemingly never to fall to the depths of a demi-lich or to pass with time.

In AD&D terms he is a "Hero-God" though obviously not a hero.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  08:59:02  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Larloch is beyond even the limits of godhood in his power;

Do you mean in your homebrew realms?
Because nothing in official lore even suggests this.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  09:32:06  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Scarily, the concept of demi-dracoliches is NDA... according to Ed, who responded to a query about such lich-types back in 2006.

I have this little tidbit, too, from Brian "Garen Thal" Cortijo on the subject:- "A demidracolich would have to have a minimum spellcaster of 21, which means you need a very old dragon, or a reasonably old dragon with levels in sorcerer (or both). The numbers will work out to about a CR of 37--as an estimate--at which point the game has usually already broken down on a massive level."

Would a link to this post of Ed's be possible? I would very much like to read it.

Indeed that would mean that the game would be high end epic, but there are so many other nasty things at that level so... I have never read about one or seen one in any sourcebooks, but I'm guessing someone like Daugothos "Creeping Doom" would be a likely candidate... yes?

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 11 Oct 2013 09:33:40
Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  09:51:19  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it true that Larloch is going to make an appearance in Ed's upcoming novel "The Herald"? Also i just read about the demi-lich Shoon VII, he seems like a powerhouse at level 36+ necromancer... anyone know what he's up to recently? I imagine a guy like that would definitely get Larloch's attention.

Edited by - wozniak1995 on 11 Oct 2013 12:42:20
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  12:52:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Might as well have Larloch "repair" the Weave. Or maybe that's what's he's going to do (with the help of Mystra's remaining Chosen) in preparation for 5E?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  13:30:09  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

It was hinted, well setup might be a better word, in a Realms novel that we just might be seeing more on Larloch. I certainly hope so myself. :)

I hope we do. I would love to read more about Larloch.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  14:00:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also Tan Chin (Ambuchar Devyam) from Solon, over in the Hordelands region. He was one of the first emperors of Shou-Lung, is a special* Lich, and has returned from 'true death' at least twice already. Don't know precisely what his stats were (I believe he is written-up in LEoF), but considering how old he is, and the things he's done (created at least TWO armies of golemic soldiers), I'd say he was pretty damn uber.

There is also that Lich that was in the Calimemnon(sp?) Crystal, but he should be obliterated as of the end of 3e (Spellplague did him wrong, me thinks). I personally had him as a pre-drow dark Elf, but thats entirely homebrew.

*Because of the nature of his Lichdom, I had pegged Tan Chin as a Suel Lich, and even theorize he had spent time among the Suel (Greyhawk) to learn it, and IIRC, Brian James was enamored with that conclusion (making it demi-psuedocanon? LOL!)

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Oct 2013 14:02:56
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  14:14:23  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wozniak1995

Also i just read about the demi-lich Shoon VII, he seems like a powerhouse at level 36+ necromancer... anyone know what he's up to recently? I imagine a guy like that would definitely get Larloch's attention.

In 2e he was infiltrating the Cowled Wizards of Amn and he was trying to uncover the identities of the Runemasters of the Twisted Rune to get a hold and control that secret organization too. This plans were confirmed in 3e Lost Empires of Faerun if i remember right.

Then he disappeared from the radar, together with a host of other powerful, behind the scene, movers-and-shakers of the Realms (like the aforementioned Daurgothot or the Twisted Rune or the Knights of the Shield) never to be seen again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  15:42:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Would a link to this post of Ed's be possible? I would very much like to read it.
There really isn't much point. Aside from the Lady Hooded One reposting the original query, Ed's only response was that such information was guarded by NDA.

I'll find the original post if you still wish.

Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Acolyte

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  16:09:14  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last time i read about larloch i noticed something about him wanting to control a vast network of portals... is that still his primary focus or have we had no mention yet?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  22:25:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Larloch is beyond even the limits of godhood in his power;

Do you mean in your homebrew realms?
Because nothing in official lore even suggests this.

No, not in my homebrew...in his actions. He is ancient, yet no where near falling to the passage of time.

My guess is that he essentially "feeds" on the other liches under his control and maintains himself this way. He has reached a state of being somewhat beyond undeath and yet not truly godlike.

But because he has no need of worshipers for his power, he is even beyond the gods in his base of power: immortal without need of worshipers.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  03:38:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wozniak1995

Last time i read about larloch i noticed something about him wanting to control a vast network of portals... is that still his primary focus or have we had no mention yet?

Pretty much.

So far as we still know, thanks largely to Ed's kind answers... Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.

One of his current 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerūn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly. In the sense that he'll be doing a couple of things:-

1. Monitoring people movement; who goes where and more importantly, why;

2. Putting in place magics to control creatures or people using 'his' portals, or at the very least access their knowledge/memories;

3. Using his knowledge of portals and portal networks to bring groups or individuals into conflict and thereby benefiting from the fallout.

All of this is intended to be done without the hand of Larloch being apparent.

We really haven't learned all that much about this since Ed first spoke of it a couple of years ago.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000